robophant

[Poll] Official servers 1pp only

Official servers 1pp only?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Official servers 1pp only?

Was this really necessary? Have we not done this exact same poll like 15 times before?

• Like 1

Umm there are quite a few survival horror games that involve 3rd person view as a means to play the game as the main camera view point.

Resident Evil

Silent Hill

The Evil Within

Telltales: The Walking Dead

State Of Decay

I really don't think its very fair to limit everyones enjoyment to just one mode when you have one that can offer better immersion for other ppl that might be more interested.

Erm,, we are talking about immersion? not just camera perspective alone?....

Edit: Did you not watch the video above?, give a good idea on what kills the thrills/immersion of a survival horror game

Edited by Roger_Shrubz

Was this really necessary? Have we not done this exact same poll like 15 times before?

I can agree this is probably a burnt out topic, but it does raise a few points if you want DayZ to be its true self in my opinion (goes to hide in flameproof tin hut) lol

Sounds suspect to me. Think if they changed half the official servers to 1PP that would be balanced. Any more than that is kinda shafting 3PP players with no benefit to either side, since if it's a balance both player groups can have it their way without effecting the other.

I'm in the "1PP can play on 1PP and 3PP can play on 3PP, what's the big deal?" crowd on this one.

I abstained from the poll, since forum polls are stupid. Why is that never an option in stupid forum polls?

Edited by KenoSkir88
  • Like 1

There are still something like 2000 servers with 3PP if they make this move so there's nothing to loose really.

There are still something like 2000 servers with 3PP if they make this move so there's nothing to loose really.

What's to gain exactly? Since there are also LOADS of 1PP servers too.

Well, it changes the way people approach scenarios involving players, if 3rd person - you could wall peek and decide to shoot 2 armed players (1 facing you and the other checking his six), all pre-planned since you seen them around the wall,

1st person it would be a case of walk around the corner and have to react (unless they can create some form of 1st person/Gears Of War style cover/wall peek, or just more fluid movement to cover behind objects/walls)

But straight away, not being able to 3rd person can create a whole new perspective in: scares, immersion & interactions

Edited by Roger_Shrubz

Erm,, we are talking about immersion? not just camera perspective alone?....

Edit: Did you not watch the video above?, give a good idea on what kills the thrills/immersion of a survival horror game

Dude thats some one ealses opinion though. Im perfectly happy with having both around. Trying to purge the game of only having FPS and making ppl have to pay for a server in order to activate 3rd person just to enjoy a game is not the way to go about it. I don't come on here complaining about the lack of immersion FPS provides. I enjoy both i really don't see the problem of both being able to coexist together.

• Like 2

Well, it changes the way people approach scenarios involving players, if 3rd person - you could wall peek and decide to shoot 2 armed players (1 facing you and the other checking his six), all pre-planned since you seen them around the wall,

1st person it would be a case of walk around the corner and have to react (unless they can create some form of 1st person/Gears Of War style cover/wall peek, or just more fluid movement to cover behind objects/walls)

But straight away, not being able to 3rd person can create a whole new perspective in: scares, immersion & interactions

Sounds nice, good job it's already widely available if that's your thing.

• Like 1

Dude thats some one ealses opinion though. Im perfectly happy with having both around. Trying to purge the game of only having FPS and making ppl have to pay for a server in order to activate 3rd person just to enjoy a game is not the way to go about it. I don't come on here complaining about the lack of immersion FPS provides. I enjoy both i really don't see the problem of both being able to coexist toget  

A opinion is a opinion, does not matter if its someone elses idea, freedom of speech and all that crap, I personally think a MMO game like this has a large foundation based upon it being survival/horror,

Have 3rd person (wall-peeps/people who dont want to be nice) and you will have a major impact in the way the "survival" game is played out, let alone scares etc, more killing, less thrilling

Sounds nice, good job it's already widely available if that's your thing.

Yea its more my thing to have player talks/interactions than just getting randomly pre-planned shot in the face, since 1st person is called hardcore usually I guess ;)

Yea its more my thing to have player talks/interactions than just getting randomly pre-planned shot in the face, since 1st person is called hardcore usually I guess ;)

Ah stop taking everything so personally. You sound silly blaming 3rd person for the lack of interaction you obviously experience. I play both kinds of server (i just try not to be an elitist complainer) depending how i feel. Your point is void, since the option you like is easily available to you. When i play 3rd person i just stay aware of the extra tactical opportunities available to my opponents, and remain well aware that the same options are available to me should i require them. If you don't like 3PP don't play it, you don't need to railroad others into playing your way because you're butt-hurt about getting wasted by people who understand available tactics better than you. Funny guy aintcha :rolleyes:

An even split between 1PP and 3PP on official servers is the only realistic option for change that doesn't ruin one persons fun to support another.

Edited by KenoSkir88

Maybe not, but it's the first time (afaik) that Brian Hicks gave a statement on this matter.

Ah stop taking everything so personally. You sound silly blaming 3rd person for the lack of interaction you obviously experience. I play both kinds of server (i just try not to be an elitist complainer) depending how i feel. Your point is void, since the option you like is easily available to you. When i play 3rd person i just stay aware of the extra tactical opportunities available to my opponents, and remain well aware that the same options are available to me should i require them. If you don't like 3PP don't play it, you don't need to railroad others into playing your way because you're butt-hurt about getting wasted by people who understand available tactics better than you. Funny guy aintcha :rolleyes:

There is nothing being taken personal lol, this is a forum, I have the right to speak and all that jazz, if you can't give any constructive opinions then fair enough, im trying to talk about horror/survival immersion differences with 3rd and 1st person and your not exactly being civil.

and I think your conclusion on me is that im a 100% 1st person DayZ player, well obviously not, at some point we all have to dive in the shallow end of the water for our friends sake :)

People need to stop thinking the developers' only concern is how to please the masses and make more money. They already made $60 million plus. Ever think about how it would feel to make a game that doesn't play the way you intended it to? You think the makers of the modern warfare franchise liked seeing people running around spamming GLs instead of playing it more "fairly"?

Maybe Brian and some of the other developers are tired of seeing the same old roof camping/wall peeking videos on reddit everyday. The game is more intense and hardcore in 1pp mode. Period. They want their game to be hardcore. 3pp is interfering with THEIR vision, so they want to promote 1pp.

You're lucky they didn't just pull a rust and remove it entirely. If you leave: good riddance! They already got your money, what do they care if you hang around? The putrid stench of self-entitlement present in this community is sometimes unbearable. Threatening to drop a game like dayz entirely, because of a change in camera perspective, is pathetic.

Also, watch the dslyecxi video about camera perspective. He is probably the best tactical FPS player in the world, and Bohemia even supports literature he has produced on how to properly play their games. He's not your average neck-bearded-computer-chair-commando: he's the best. If you have points to refute his, please share.

• Like 6

A opinion is a opinion, does not matter if its someone elses idea, freedom of speech and all that crap, I personally think a MMO game like this has a large foundation based upon it being survival/horror,

Have 3rd person (wall-peeps/people who dont want to be nice) and you will have a major impact in the way the "survival" game is played out, let alone scares etc, more killing, less thrilling

Than don't play on 3rd person servers and complain that we need to get rid of them. Its that simple No one is forcing you to break your immersion.

• Like 1

Than don't play on 3rd person servers and complain that we need to get rid of them. Its that simple No one is forcing you to break your immersion.

Did you not read post #39 by me? >.< clearly states I play in the shallow side of the swimming pool for my friends sake :)

Edit: Gimme zombies/infected back and I will be in survival heaven :D

Edited by Roger_Shrubz

please keep it calm everybody. Otherwise I'd have to feed you raw bor guts!

Maybe Brian and some of the other developers are tired of seeing the same old roof camping/wall peeking videos on reddit everyday. The game is more intense and hardcore in 1pp mode. Period. They want their game to be hardcore. 3pp is interfering with THEIR vision, so they want to promote 1pp.

How about focusing on the survival aspect in general rather than worry about camera angles for pvp combat? I would say the survival aspect is 100 xs more broken at the moment than the concern about what the camera perspective should be.

Also, watch the dslyecxi video about camera perspective. He is probably the best tactical FPS player in the world, and Bohemia even supports literature he has produced on how to properly play their games. He's not your average neck-bearded-computer-chair-commando: he's the best. If you have points to refute his, please share.

He makes some interesting points but its still using that popularity to a negative advantage to MAKE ppl play the way he want them to play not the way they want to play. I really don't care how much experience a boobtuber has in the end it comes down to my own personal choice of how i would like to play not his or anyone else.

If the games were designed to be FPS only they would not have even included this prior to putting it in. If you don't want that specific type of camera angle in a game you make sure even in a beta or alpha that it does not exist to begin with. But since this is a sandbox game third person does make sense. Hence why they have servers dedicated to both styles of play.

• Like 2

This isn't about whether first person perspective is better than third.

This isn't an attempt at stopping people who play 3pp from doing so.

Its Hicks saying that he wants 1pp to be the default gamemode and 3pp be a server option like accelerated time.

• Like 4

*snip*

Of course it isn't, 1pp is superior in every regard. 

• Like 5

People need to stop thinking the developers' only concern is how to please the masses and make more money. They already made $60 million plus. Ever think about how it would feel to make a game that doesn't play the way you intended it to? You think the makers of the modern warfare franchise liked seeing people running around spamming GLs instead of playing it more "fairly"?

You're lucky they didn't just pull a rust and remove it entirely. If you leave: good riddance! They already got your money, what do they care if you hang around? The putrid stench of self-entitlement present in this community is sometimes unbearable. Threatening to drop a game like dayz entirely, because of a change in camera perspective, is pathetic.

Wow, Dagwood. Nothing like a clear and crisp reply to clear the air, lol. Remind me NOT to make any silly comments in your vicinity.

And yes I couldn't agree more with your response.

Harsh but fair.

Of course it isn't, 1pp is superior in every regard. 

No tacos are superior in every regard followed by sushi and than spaghetti.

• Like 1

This isn't an attempt at stopping people who play 3pp from doing so.

Its Hicks saying that he wants 1pp to be the default gamemode and 3pp be a server option like accelerated time.

again, what Brian Hicks said was to make the OFFICIAL servers 1pp only. It's only the servers run by BI directly. It's not all PUBLIC servers.

again, what Brian Hicks said was to make the OFFICIAL servers 1pp only. It's only the servers run by BI directly. It's not all PUBLIC servers.

Which in effect makes 1pp the default gamemode as official servers use default server settings.

I don't see this as an issue.