Sign in to follow this  
KandyCid

Hive ddos attack (Is it safe yet?)

I hadn't played since the server crashes and am skeptical to start playing ATm b/c of the last +Dev Blog+,  Alot of Steam groups reported the DOS attack and warned plp of coming on but no news in a few dayZ, any1 playing having trouble on the Private/Public Hives?

We suffered a few character wipes during the time in question, but last 24 hours we've all played with no hassles.

Meh its up to you. If you want to spend time gearing up a character that could glitch out and get wiped - feel free

Didn't wipe even though I joined with my characters at least 4 times during both the ddos attempts. I actually joined on the beach 3/4 times but just quit and after it was ok I rejoined where I was initially.

So I wouldn't worry about safety if I was to look at my own experience, but suit yourself.

I played off and on all weekend without issue, but I was also carefully monitoring social media activity regarding those problems and avoided playing until after getting the all-clear from one of several reliable sources (mostly owner/operators of popular servers). It also helped that a lot of it was occurring at times that I would have been asleep or otherwise preoccupied.

Edited by Tatanko

thanks guys, i dont mind losing my public character but id rather not play on my private hive ones..public char. only has a fully kited mp5 and an aug -_- I may try it out later today..kinda anxious

I lost my public character a few times this weekend. With no Z's and low server pop it really wasn't a bad way to play though.

I think I lost two stashes I tried to set up during the weekend to a public server, but my character is okay. On my way to check the third big one, which I created last week. Not happy if that one is gone too.

Did people who haven't played during the attacks got a reset? I won't be able to check anytime soon :(

Did people who haven't played during the attacks got a reset? I won't be able to check anytime soon :(

I don't think so, no. The dynamic seems a bit like the usual char reset, when an individual server can't communicate with the public hive, but in this case right across whole swathes of servers.

You were wiped if you tried to log in late Friday, early Sat and in some cases on Sunday. On Sat morning, I thought I'd just landed on an unconnected server, got out quick and tried somewhere else...it was logging into the second one that did for me I think.

There are signs of DDOS beginning. Look for a 5-20 second lag when opening a door or something, and check to see if another user is currently experiencing same. If both players get same huge lag regardless of their individual connection then it is safe to assume massive server side delays. DDOS won't delete your bases that is a different issue. As has been repeatedly mentioned, if you make sure to notice where you are on login and not move or perform any action before logging back out in the case of a beach spawn, just wait a little while and log back in as normal to try again. Patience is key, i personally have had upward of 5-6 beach spawns before getting my character back after the server settles down, or is no longer under DDOS attack.

If you move or perform an action as a new spawn, your character is saved as a newspawn so don't allow this to happen to you.

Logging in during DDOS is not actually all that dangerous to your character as long as you remember the rules in my experience.

I had no idea this happened. Lost nothing. Did have an incident where I shot a person point blank and he didnt die though but I figured its just regular Dayzing.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 1