saamohod

Anti-stab vest

I need some advice regarding the antistab vest. As I remember in previous versions the vest was next to useless since it didn't have any protection stats (according to some testing and the stats itself).
After a half a year break I'm playing the game again. What I noticed is that the antistab vest gets pretty quickly ruined in a fist fight. Does it give any protection now? If yes, what kind? Against stab damage only or also other kinds of damage?
Thanks for answering.

IIRC, all clothing types of the same category currently offer the same levels of protection. For example, the Plate Carrier gives the same level of protection as an Assault Vest or, as in this case, the Anti-stab Vest. Although I don't think I am, I may be wrong. There could perhaps be a few exceptions floating around out there. 

That said, the devs have recently talked about a total rework of the damage system and if I understand correctly that would include reworking protection from gear. Perhaps the Anti-stab vest will one day provide protection from sharp melee weapons.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

My friend swears that the plate carrier has saved his life many times, I personally think its because he puts all his stuff in protector cases which gives the bullet more things to go through before reaching him.

• Like 1

I ve had several occasions where my shirt or jacket was ruined with the things inside it but the items in the Plate Carrier were not, anytime i find one i take it over a vest 100%, assault rifles and snipers/ been shot by both using it and it has always worked.. even checked my dead body a few times messing around and the items were still good

maybe same with the vest, it may get ruined but does your shirt or jacket your wearing get ruined with stuff inside it?

Edited by KandyCid

My friend swears that the plate carrier has saved his life many times, I personally think its because he puts all his stuff in protector cases which gives the bullet more things to go through before reaching him.

Hmmm. I think Wobo's testing (on YT somewhere...) showed that having lots of stuff in protector cases actually increased damage...

There is some folk wisdom among PvPers that the Hicap is best for protection, but I've seen no evidence for that.

Hmm, i'm just circulating rumor and heresay here but:

i thought having items stored in inventory slots increased the chance of survivability?  and that bullets don't really discriminate on what item they hit within your clothing item.

So then wouldn't that mean that having more items in a clothing item would allow for great protection, especially if all clothin had the same protection as a basic?

If above holds true and there's no more to add such as 'but if...' then the higher capacity clothing items should provide the best protection when all slots are filled.

but i doubt it's really this simple...

I need some advice regarding the antistab vest. As I remember in previous versions the vest was next to useless since it didn't have any protection stats (according to some testing and the stats itself).

After a half a year break I'm playing the game again. What I noticed is that the antistab vest gets pretty quickly ruined in a fist fight. Does it give any protection now? If yes, what kind? Against stab damage only or also other kinds of damage?

Thanks for answering.

It does indeed give you some protection against ALL attacks. Here are the stats of the Anti-stab Vest:

ballistic = 0.1;

bleed = 0.98;

Don't be fooled by the "ballistic" stat, that also protects you against melee attacks as well. More than anything the Anti-stab Vest will reduce the chance that you will bleed (see the "bleed" stat above) after being hit with a melee weapon in the chest. This does not reduce the chance that you will bleed if you are shot. Again, melee only.

Given that very few items in the game have "ballistic" protection, I would say the Anti-stab Vest is indeed worth it.

IIRC, all clothing types of the same category currently offer the same levels of protection. For example, the Plate Carrier gives the same level of protection as an Assault Vest or, as in this case, the Anti-stab Vest. Although I don't think I am, I may be wrong. There could perhaps be a few exceptions floating around out there. 

That said, the devs have recently talked about a total rework of the damage system and if I understand correctly that would include reworking protection from gear. Perhaps the Anti-stab vest will one day provide protection from sharp melee weapons.

This is mostly correct. The Plate Carrier and the Press Vest share the same stats:

ballistic = 2;

bleed = 0.9;

This is also true for the Assault Vest and High Capacity Vest (in that they offer NO additional "ballistic" or "bleed" protection).

Yeah, I also imagine the rework to the damage system will completely change this.

Also mostly correct. Your friend was protected by both the Plate Carrier AND the items inside his Plate Carrier.

I ve had several occasions where my shirt or jacket was ruined with the things inside it but the items in the Plate Carrier were not, anytime i find one i take it over a vest 100%, assault rifles and snipers/ been shot by both using it and it has always worked.. even checked my dead body a few times messing around and the items were still good

maybe same with the vest, it may get ruined but does your shirt or jacket your wearing get ruined with stuff inside it?

If you are hit in the arms or hands, then only your shirt/jacket will absorb the damage. You need to get hit in the chest or back for the vest to come into play.

Hmmm. I think Wobo's testing (on YT somewhere...) showed that having lots of stuff in protector cases actually increased damage...

There is some folk wisdom among PvPers that the Hicap is best for protection, but I've seen no evidence for that.

There is truth to Wobo's testing. When you are hit with a melee weapon or projectile, DayZ checks to see what part of your body you were hit in and what clothing/gear is worn there. It then damages the clothing/gear, reducing the incoming damage based on item condition and armor stats. It then checks to see what was in that clothing/gear's inventory and damages each item, again reducing the incoming damage slightly (based on the hit item's condition). It does this for every article of clothing or piece of gear in the slot you were hit. So, theoretically, having 10 1-slot items in your Plate Carrier as opposed to 1 Protector Case and 4 1-slot items would offer you more protection as DayZ treats the 6-slot Protector Case as 1 item (for a total of 5 items). I imagine this is where the PvPers folk wisdom is coming from.

Hmm, i'm just circulating rumor and heresay here but:

i thought having items stored in inventory slots increased the chance of survivability?  and that bullets don't really discriminate on what item they hit within your clothing item.

So then wouldn't that mean that having more items in a clothing item would allow for great protection, especially if all clothin had the same protection as a basic?

If above holds true and there's no more to add such as 'but if...' then the higher capacity clothing items should provide the best protection when all slots are filled.

but i doubt it's really this simple...

Correct. This is both true and it's not quite that simple. There are a lot of other factors that come into play when DayZ does damage calculation, but yes, having items stored in your inventory does reduce incoming damage. 

DayZ has some of the most fascinating and complex damage calculations I've seen come out of a game. I think if folks knew all that was involved in DayZ's damage calculation, they'd have much more respect for and appreciation of DayZ and BI.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 5

---

Very informative post!

One of the major changes that i remember the devs talking about in regards to the new damage system is separating melee and ballistic damage so I imagine there will be a big change to how things like the anti stab vest works in 0.59. 

There is truth to Wobo's testing. When you are hit with a melee weapon or projectile, DayZ checks to see what part of your body you were hit in and what clothing/gear is worn there. It then damages the clothing/gear, reducing the incoming damage based on item condition and armor stats. It then checks to see what was in that clothing/gear's inventory and damages each item, again reducing the incoming damage slightly (based on the hit item's condition). It does this for every article of clothing or piece of gear in the slot you were hit. So, theoretically, having 10 1-slot items in your Plate Carrier as opposed to 1 Protector Case and 4 1-slot items would offer you more protection as DayZ treats the 6-slot Protector Case as 1 item (for a total of 5 items). I imagine this is where the PvPers folk wisdom is coming from.

Thanks for the post, it answered to many questions I had in mind.

Someone, might have been Wobo's testing, claimed pans and pots offer protection. Do they, or are pans and pots counted as the Protector Case, as 1 item only?

Very informative post!

One of the major changes that i remember the devs talking about in regards to the new damage system is separating melee and ballistic damage so I imagine there will be a big change to how things like the anti stab vest works in 0.59. 

Many thanks!

Thanks for the post, it answered to many questions I had in mind.

Someone, might have been Wobo's testing, claimed pans and pots offer protection. Do they, or are pans and pots counted as the Protector Case, as 1 item only?

As far as I understand it, they are both treated as 1 item. I do believe they will protect any items inside of them.

• Like 1

yeah , runnick, u kinda didn't read what I posted?

The protection value of clothes can actually get less if you put stuff into them, WOBO made extensive tests regarding that a while ago

AFAIK, a chest holster has the same protection value as the anti-stab vest or plate carrier when pristine

Edited by Zombo

Hopefully the gear offering armor protection gets tweaked to where ppl stacking items for protection isn't a viable thing anymore.