Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

is the roadmap and estimated Beta times still accurate?

hey guys. Im wondering if the roadmap and projected dates for Beta and Release are still accurate. As I understand, we will see Beta by the end of this year, supposedly. that will last about 6 months, with a full release being in mid 2016. However, considering how far behind they are with the roadmap (due to "unexpected delays" on nearly every update) are these times still accurate? Or will it be moved back a ton, like the release of the Early Access was a full year? Not insulting the devs, but it is true. Thanks.

Just recently it was said that the game should go into beta by the end of this year if all goes well, at the latest, 2 months into next year.

Nothing is ever 'on schedule' with DayZ SA. The sooner you figure that out the better. :P
It'll be here when it's here. 

• Like 1

I think it was the twitchcon interview, Hicks said they are roughly on track like Stryker7x says.

That said, we're in october, with stable patches now on a seemingly 2 month cycle.  Which means we can reasonably expect 2 patches before the new year.

I'm skeptical.

• Like 1

i think the whole thing remains about hope & trust. They either got something we havent seen yet and will be a bummer or its gonna be mainly about polishing what we have seen and add some features. "hicks said..." is something that lead me to frustration in the past, i dont see a lot of clear communication coming from there. any question about what "beta" is going to be (not to speak of what will change until 1.0) still gets evasive awnsers, which makes me skeptical as well. we are 3 months out till "i am confident" release of beta, get rudimentary informations, see a very basic iteration of the heli, no ingame graphics towards base building, no word for a long time on animal companions and not much more than promises regarding most of the new engine modules (ui, player controller, renderer, inventory, sound engine). i really liked the presentation of torchia and the amount of honesty and courage it contained - imho something that really helps in community <-> dev relations and should be elaborated.

i really keep my hope up that they keep back to create some surprises, but started to prepare myself for disappointment.

greets

Edited by edwin3

Road map are not promised date time for release stuff. that means they will try to achieve those goals. there is a lot of stuff that delayed it in the past (they delayed everything 1-2 months because they needed to deal with cheats in the past, this is just one example) and you should expect more of this.

as for the beta, i don't thing they will achieve that goal on time, judging from this 2 month stable cycle (which probably is related to those heavy merges of engine) and then again, i don't see this as a developer issue, it's just the nature of an EA game.

• Like 1

Hello there

Dont take roadmaps as the word of God written in stone.

@edwin dont be so distrusting, everything will come when it's ready. There are no "evasive" answers. If there isnt a definite timescale, well, that's because there isn't a definite timescale.

All this guff about "promises" makes it sound like you believe BI are a very shady company deliberately lying to you. Its silly.

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick but have a bit more faith.

Rgds

LoK

i think the whole thing remains about hope & trust. They either got something we havent seen yet and will be a bummer or its gonna be mainly about polishing what we have seen and add some features. "hicks said..." is something that lead me to frustration in the past, i dont see a lot of clear communication coming from there. any question about what "beta" is going to be (not to speak of what will change until 1.0) still gets evasive awnsers, which makes me skeptical as well. we are 3 months out till "i am confident" release of beta, get rudimentary informations, see a very basic iteration of the heli, no ingame graphics towards base building, no word for a long time on animal companions and not much more than promises regarding most of the new engine modules (ui, player controller, renderer, inventory, sound engine). i really liked the presentation of torchia and the amount of honesty and courage it contained - imho something that really helps in community <-> dev relations and should be elaborated.

i really keep my hope up that they keep back to create some surprises, but started to prepare myself for disappointment.

greets

Just lately at TwitchCon "Hicks said..." the BETA will be delayed in a month or (probably not) two. 5 months it is, and I really think it's cool. Let them take their time, make this game better. The BETA release will be some kind of a big milestone for DayZ, all way from November 2011 up until the release. Thinking about it, DayZ never left the "Alpha" frame, the mod has been in an Alpha stage and so is the standalone. Once the new renderer is fully optimized and implemented and, I just can't way to open some PBOs and inspect the changes to models, it will be a big change. DayZ will be a prototype game for future titles from Bohemia Interactive as the whole engine will be re-done and stuff from all way back to 2001 will no longer be part of the legacy engine.

Just like you I guess, I really like those videos - I really enjoy sitting with my lunch looking at those long-ass videos that explain stuff which is, vital for people who wish to understand how to make their own game for example. Eugene's presentation about hacking, Chris' presentation about team management, Dean's presentation about DayZ development which is already 1 year old but it still shows the vision and future progress of where the development is heading (especially modding, yeah -- never heard the phrase 'space engineers' so many times in 1 hour lol). I especially liked Brian's presentation which I think was PAX Prime? I don't even remember anymore. You get to learn from the devs about the future of the game, about modding which is very important for me atleast and about the development progress as a whole.

Anyway, the thing is - you take the whole DayZ development for granted in my opinion man. It's not some kind of a triple-A title like call of duty which is based on recycled technology with millions of dollars on budget. It's just BIStudio, and I say "just" not out of disrespect but out of the understanding that BIS is an indie game developer. They don't have a bigass publisher, big teams for individual titles and the resources EA and Dice has for example, the makers of Battlefield.

My point is, be patient :D. I've been waiting for 4 years I believe and I will keep waiting I guess. So can you, and everyone around here :D. The wait is finally showing some profit, we can do it a little more.

Edit: Oh yeah, and on-topic. Yeah, it seems pretty accurate. Sure some stuff are a little bit later and some are earlier (I think), but the general picture makes it look okay.

Edited by StanleyWasHappy

hmmm,

i thought the official line was still beta not before Q1 2016, but this may have changed.

I know that Hicks as stated that he anticipates certain features to be pushed back 'no more than (several) months' as per the twitch release but he may have been indicating a different timetable than beta.

Ultimately yeah, as others have said: after 4 years or so of waiting and supporting the game, the last thing anyone wants to see is a rush to market product with less polish and less features than what people expect (given the community has members quick to bemoan 'QA' and feature standards).

just pretend GabeN is running the joint to Valve time and let the warm tingling sensation rush up your spine.

It will all come when it comes :)

edit:

Also keep in mind that Beta will bring about a whole new set of challenges for DayZ.  If taking the literal interpretation of beta as 'feature complete:begin polish' well, that means that a pandoras box of tweaks, changes, additions/subtractions and associated bugs/glitches will pop up more frequently (i anticipate), so it's not like Beta is this golden chalice that will taste good and fill your belly.  It will probably be much of the same for at least the early part, i expect, only with a more visible light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

This seems to be more of a opinion question.

Honestly, once they have the BIG projects out of the way (like the new renderer and such), I feel like they can devote more of their time onto the other features of the game.

Remember, they are implimenting a NEW engine, and building a game from scratch. We've just gotta give them time.

Personally, I dont think beta will be done by the new year. Maybe some time after it, yah, but not new years. But thats just my humble opinion :)

All this guff about "promises"

Its always amazing to me how this word comes up in game dev forums. It should not even be possible to type it. In this crazy world of PC early access and crowd funding, the word should never be uddered by customer or dev. Edited by Coheed_IV