Sign in to follow this  
Tatanko

"The Landmarks of Chernarus" Series

Hello everyone, and welcome to my third series documenting the places of Chernarus. This time I'll be showcasing Landmarks. That could really be anything, but it is meant to be iconic places throughout the country that are interesting or have some deeper importance to survivors. As always, head over to the album for full captions.

Part 1: Green Mountain

Part 2: Hill Figure, Grass Pyramid, Kumyrna

Part 3: Prison Island

Part 4: Central Railway Station, Grand Campfire Circle, Black Forest, Commissar Statue

Part 5: The Witch Ring, The Stain, The Standing Stones, Topolka Dam, Drakon Island

Part 6: Devil's Castle, Kozlovka, & Pik Kozlova

Part 7: Northwest Airfield (NWAF)

First in the series is the omnipresent Green Mountain:

http://imgur.com/a/8BbpS

odmfVSn.jpg

tlYPtFx.jpg

X51Inxz.jpg

GdBF6lp.jpg

HDQ7qKO.jpg

HAY7ZBz.jpg

YiI6ylz.jpg

0Kp24Us.jpg

DW6Pyqi.jpg

gh2Hxxz.jpg

5CjvQxM.jpg

zCce7P2.jpg

glawZy0.jpg

XaaE9SV.jpg

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 19

Wonderful screenshots Tatanko, looking forward to the next series.

Thanks. This one should have a little more variety than the last two :)

Fantastic shots Tatanko!! Really like the last one.  B)

:thumbsup:

Fantastic shots Tatanko!! Really like the last one.  B)

:thumbsup:

Thanks, Odin! Hoping to do a whole album of creepy nighttime shots there some point  B)

• Like 1

Nice.  Landmarks and unique locations are some of the most interesting sites in the game, for sure.

• Like 2

Week two we are making stops at the Hill Figure, the Grass Pyramid, and the abandoned village of Kumyrna:

http://imgur.com/a/dV0KW

FFTB7UD.jpg

Found in the northeast part of the map between Chernaya Polana and the Krasnostav Airstrip (coords. 126 022), the Hill Figure is an homage to the Cerne Abbas Giant, a massive ground "drawing" in Dorset, England. There is on key difference between the real thing and this in-game representation however: a giant erect penis. No, really -- see for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant

-----------------------------

DPgWSMH.jpg

It's nearly impossible to see the Giant from on the ground, but if you travel to the site you can get a glimpse of the chalk outline. There are few vantage points which offer a decent view of the Giant sadly, so taking a look at a map is about the closest you'll get.

c6ySrW5.jpg

Ever been wandering around the fields of central Chernarus and stumbled upon this disc of concrete in the middle of nowhere? Allow me to explain: this is a memorial to a lesser-known landmark from early in the days of the Standalone.

1mo1W9i.jpg

On the sign is a message that reads, roughly:

Up until 23.04.2014, on this place stood a terrain glitch - Pyramid. - Senchi

4nhoNbX.jpg

You'll probably never see it again, so photos are all we have left of this once mysterious place. This image gives you an idea of what it was like to stumble upon the terrain glitch in your travels.

8Pq8g5U.jpg

A very old image of a dear friend keeping watch over the area at sunset a very long time ago. The little hill afforded you an excellent view of the entire area, from Novy Sobor in the east to Kabanino in the west. You could probably see all the way to Vybor were it not for the rolling hills.

JNdbEOL.jpg

Once the site of a village, the name Kumyrna translates to "Joss House" meaning "Chinese temple." The history of this place is very sketchy, but the entire town was bombed and burnt to the ground at some point, likely in the pre-outbreak conflict between the ChZDk and CDF (and prior to the arrival of the USMC).

VDCSK7q.jpg

Everything here is completely destroyed, from the church down to the fences that separated properties. This bombed-out church is probably the most memorable element of the town, and is sure to grab your attention even from a distance.

NqimKlM.jpg

It's not difficult to imagine what life must have been like here before this place was destroyed; it was probably quiet and beautiful. Judging by the town's name and the fact that the church is so prominent, one could guess that the focus of its residents was to practice their religion.

yfsfPPr.jpg

Picture brightly-colored houses with happy families, children playing in the yard. This poor town...

gNyTlc5.jpg

This is one of the better-preserved buildings, possibly in part due to the protection of the surrounding wall. Desperate travelers could probably seek shelter here if they built a fire to keep warm.

04Xco7s.jpg

Along the road leaving the town to the east, you'll see a "National Park Zagoria" sign across the street from one of the burned-out houses. Curiously, this old village is designated as a protected natural area rather than a historical site (which would read "ИСТОРИЧЕСКИЙ ПАМЯТНИК").

9Sg3nyJ.jpg

The more you look at it, the more you want to know what happened here. This place makes your mind wander.

A static Mi-8 helicopter crash site located in the east side of Kumyrna was removed at one point to facilitate dynamic vehicle crash sites throughout the map. Prior to its removal, the wreckage provided an additional clue to what may have happened at this place. The site spawned military loot very early on, and military zombies could be found here as well, making the former town quite lucrative as it usually went untouched by travelers.

The presence of all of these military elements suggests that Kumyrna may have been an innocent casualty during a conflict.

pEs9ksV.jpg

There is an almost surreal beauty about this place despite its mysterious and chaotic past.

Xa64KMz.jpg

Without any real record, it's hard to know whether this graveyard was created before or after the events that destroyed this town.

yI5Z2v3.jpg

As nature continues to take this place for itself, time will eventually forget this village. Enjoy it and document it now while you still can.

ZZiHZvy.jpg

Harking back to a simpler era in Chernarus, the silhouette of a church tower over the hill will remain the image most people carry of Kumyrna.
  • Like 6

Each one of these deserves it's own thread!

;)

Well written, masterfully shot, and well presented.

Many thanks for your intense dedication to our favorite WIP.  :thumbsup:

Each one of these deserves it's own thread!

I'm not an attention hog, and I think it's nice to have them all in one place :p I appreciate the sentiment, though BH!

These series are as much fun for me to shoot as they are to look at, so I enjoy this activity a lot. Thanks for checking it out :)

• Like 1

This week is another variety pack. I present the Central Railway Station, Grand Campfire Circle, Black Forest, and Commissar Statue:

http://imgur.com/a/kKN7o

yYFUcbn.jpg

Dm8s2wU.jpg

uc5Eh2M.jpg

nb9TDOI.jpg

O5nqRfY.jpg

meJ3GiF.jpg

znrnZTn.jpg

UkKrN0q.jpg

xOiGFGs.jpg

ZOphzEj.jpg

TFzFCCH.jpg

9iOHKmR.jpg

SaGlBRn.jpg

dDNQtoe.jpg

300xMdP.jpg

mhGkbsd.jpg

wyLQri0.jpg

g3lcoz7.jpg

• Like 3

I like the crane shot.

Thank you, sir. This album was pretty "tame," next week's will be a little more interesting :)

This week we have yet another variety pack in the form of the Witch Ring, the Stain, the Standing Stones, Topolka Dam, and Drakon island:

http://imgur.com/a/w0LBG

paj35Tt.jpg

OVzz3w3.jpg

P9InmyQ.jpg

iEZfDnk.jpg

zVgAumc.jpg

8RHE5ZL.jpg

XfMOA5h.jpg

rGEMH6K.jpg

C0qKdZo.jpg

BvxiQPp.jpg

vpPIsLS.jpg

lDQC7H6.jpg

DAxxpzv.jpg

ZFPtT3s.jpg

Qt1b9DA.jpg

WC8YIAA.jpg

qOSWcOD.jpg

ctkeEdc.jpg

XafHLAN.jpg

• Like 3

Switching things up a bit this week. Today we examine the legacy of Duke Ivan Kozlov, the unofficial founder of Chernarus, who left behind Devil's Castle, Kozlovka, and Pik Kozlova:

http://imgur.com/a/rk2tM

IYcbPcy.jpg

SLSezzM.jpg

IO1mwub.jpg

g9KgChE.jpg

Y7WLlrx.jpg

f8Nbugs.jpg

IGATqfl.jpg

F3wiMD1.jpg

Lxdj4DS.jpg

Y0cCl4T.jpg

aCG3HhV.jpg

yIkq8Hv.jpg

adKsj3S.jpg

93XOPx4.jpg

kvwaJ9g.jpg

X6o94wj.jpg

N9kIZr5.jpg

NxOaEEU.jpg

• Like 3

Wow those are some really nice shots!  And a history lesson as well  :thumbsup: 

Long live the Duke!

• Like 1

And a history lesson as well  :thumbsup:

Where there is history to be told, I will tell it. Where there is none, I will make it up  :P

• Like 2

One last album in the series! Today is a very familiar place for most -- the Northwest Airfield

http://imgur.com/a/9U43X

gd8rBAt.jpg

fizJXj1.jpg

aHcw56d.jpg

edWGYXB.jpg

zCNMU6h.jpg

Q2dXqL5.jpg

EBQ5rRO.jpg

0KqLHyn.jpg

JwodZz5.jpg

zTyoVb0.jpg

8MQvX4W.jpg