venkman302

Veteran walked Cherno to Kamensk. Low loot in .58 - The Good and Bad

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. I don't think my opinion is the most important and when I say "should" in the text below please just read it as "I would like it".

I feel that the current amount of item drops in DayZ are too low. There should be loot everywhere. Plants that can be (reliably) harvested. Animals that can be harvested. Empty cans. Empty water bottles. Just general junk that can be used for SOMETHING. The only thing you should need to find something is a bit of time (minutes, not hours) and map knowledge.

I have been investing a LOT of time in the Arma 3 Exile mod recently and the looting system feels great. The main difference to SA;  high availability of loot with different value.

• You have to search for loot but it is simple to find if you invest a reasonable amount of time and effort. No ghost towns and no lootsplosions.
  • Loot has many different tiers. You can use the lowest tier items and they are good. High tier items are noticeably better but not imbalanced. You don't need the highest tier items but they are a good extrinsic motivator.
  • Loot has value. There is an economy (based on traders) that gives basic value to everything.
  • Weapons are insanely customizable but the the attachments only give a partial advantage (e.g. night vision scopes are cool but not necessary to fight at night.)

Because of these elements, the Exile mod keeps me motivated to loot. I feel that looting in DayZ feels like much more of a grind. And I dislike grindy games. I want to be able to play for a couple of hours and feel like I made some progress, even if I died and lost all of my items in the process.

I see what the OP is saying. I don't have a lot of time either to spend in Dayz. While I don't want things handed to me in game, I don't necessarily want to spend hours trying to get decently geared up to lose it all in 30 seconds of arriving in the NWAF. I miss the coast being active with pvp in this update and at least being able to find a pistol in a coastal town and trying to get into a little action there instead of having to run north to find anything decent. It's sort of made the game a little boring for me.

What I feel happened is we were introduced to loot being easily obtainable early on with little effort to find any. So now we are conditioned to that and when it's scaled down and some of that ease in finding loot is taken away we are now upset that it takes us so long to find anything, especially weapons, if we're lucky. Had it been more challenging like it is becoming now, we would be used to the struggle and hours it can take to gear yourself up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great feedback people.  Excellent feedback and all the posts are tasteful.  Very nice.

Where ARE most of you getting at least SOME military weapons?  Barracks, military, piano houses are ALL empty after visiting 20 or so of each on my private server.  I find weapons in very random far off places but zero in traditional areas...and this is over multiple days.  So where ARE we able to get some?  Also, just curious, where are most long range scopes?

• Like 1

I don't necessarily want to spend hours trying to get decently geared up to lose it all in 30 seconds of arriving in the NWAF.

I would wonder why you'd want to go to the NWAF if you're already decently geared?

I would wonder why you'd want to go to the NWAF if you're already decently geared?

PVP

He complains that he doesn't wanna spend hours gearing up just to be KOSd, but he KOSs people who feel the same exact way. It's a matter of "its okay as long as it ain't me"

• Like 2

Thanks for the great feedback people.  Excellent feedback and all the posts are tasteful.  Very nice.

Where ARE most of you getting at least SOME military weapons?  Barracks, military, piano houses are ALL empty after visiting 20 or so of each on my private server.  I find weapons in very random far off places but zero in traditional areas...and this is over multiple days.  So where ARE we able to get some?  Also, just curious, where are most long range scopes?

On my private server I find weapons and ammo at NWAF and Myshkino tents. They seem to respawn reasonably quickly. Also helicopter crashes are a great way to find higher tier guns. M4's and AUG's do spawn in the half circle solid barracks at the tents.

• Like 1

I would say loot spawn has been improved a lot in 0.58, but also I played only a few hours on public servers since the update.

On our private server with low pop, loot is still good, even though it doesn't get "cleaned up" that frequent by players moving loot.

But you can really feel, that moving inland is a must to start gearing up, because even on a presistence reset and fresh restarted server,

loot is quite thin along the coast.

But to be honest, that's how it should be.

Also the loot is better balanced between the buildings and I didn't encounter a single lootsplosion since the update.

I like it around where it is now, played for 4 hours yesterday and i got an izh 43 and a makarow and ragtag clothes and a made my own backpack. alitle bit too much food on my end to be honest. i dont want it to be super rare but keep you hungry so that if you need to regain on get healthy you should need to hunt forage or farm exstra food

did not find any military gear at stary or vybor base so thats good that it is alitle bit rare "might jsut have been looted allready idk" but i think military gear should be SUPER RARE even though it would not make sense that it is rarer then a mosin as the military had them. but i want to feel blessed for finding an AK not "meh" 

So yeah they are heading in a good way but looting is essential so there need to be alot of low quality and maybe some trash loot just so you know that it is present you just need to struggle to find it.

I like it around where it is now, played for 4 hours yesterday and i got an izh 43 and a makarow and ragtag clothes and a made my own backpack. alitle bit too much food on my end to be honest. i dont want it to be super rare but keep you hungry so that if you need to regain on get healthy you should need to hunt forage or farm exstra food

I'm happy you enjoy that but... ugh... not for me at all.

I love the PVP on DayZ. I often kill on sight, and play with a group of players were our main aim to get as many kills as we can in a particular evening (we fight around NWAF and Myshkino so rarely fresh spawns before you cry foul). However with that in mind, I would hate the ability to spawn in weapons or food whenever you want. That would completely ruin every aspect of the game.

I'm didn't say they should change every server, I just said that since it's in alpha, you would think there would be alpha development servers which aren't intended for gameplay, but rather, playtesting/glitchhunting..  But yeah, I totally agree with you... you just missed the point.

Edited by sushimaster

I understand what you're saying, but you completely missed what I was saying. Why go to the NWAF? To see people. There doesn't seem to be any anywhere else that I've seen nor experienced since the update. And for the most part I am not a KOS type player. But its nice to just find people in general and see what type of interaction you can create, and sometimes yes, you do have to shoot.

PVP

He complains that he doesn't wanna spend hours gearing up just to be KOSd, but he KOSs people who feel the same exact way. It's a matter of "its okay as long as it ain't me"

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but "he" isn't complaining about anything in the post I made because she (myself) was just simply replying to the OP and agreeing that I don't have the time I'd like to play DayZ either and because of that I don't want to spend hours upon hours getting geared up to make it North to be killed for it. Not that I was going North to kill. It seems if you want anything relatively decent it's towards the NWAF, or north in general. You're assuming something that isn't there and saying that I want to KOS other people but I don't want to be KOSed. No where in the post does it say that.

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, but you completely missed what I was saying. Why go to the NWAF? To see people. There doesn't seem to be any anywhere else that I've seen nor experienced since the update. And for the most part I am not a KOS type player. But its nice to just find people in general and see what type of interaction you can create, and sometimes yes, you do have to shoot.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but "he" isn't complaining about anything in the post I made because she (myself) was just simply replying to the OP and agreeing that I don't have the time I'd like to play DayZ either and because of that I don't want to spend hours upon hours getting geared up to make it North to be killed for it. Not that I was going North to kill. It seems if you want anything relatively decent it's towards the NWAF, or north in general. You're assuming something that isn't there and saying that I want to KOS other people but I don't want to be KOSed. No where in the post does it say that.

Actually I wasn't referring to you, even if it is on your post. And not you MacTabish :p

Just in general, mostly on Steam forums, I see at least 10 or so OMG I H8 KOS and within 48 hours that OP will post a bragging thread about all the 3pic lootz he just KOSed (and happens to complain about his magdump destroying most of the loot)

0.58 is still pretty buggy (I nearly lost an SVD last night when I gingerly put it down in order to drink at a pond and it glitched into the ground).

For me the two main issues are:

1. The sheer loot farming at the officer tents. It's obvious from the piles of low-level gear outside those locations, and the lootsplosions within them, that loot farming is happening. Sure, finding those servers if you're a lone wolf is nice, but it comes with a tang of guilt.

2. Incredible, slide-show lag on many servers (possibly caused by stashes and/or trucks).

That said, for me this is far and away the best patch for ages. It's reintroduced playstyles like crash-, or stash-hunting, trading is picking back up, and I'm beginning to detect a greater degree of challenge in terms of finding food, such that I'm having to expand into rabbit snares and hunting. This is a Good Thing.

Edited by Mookie