venkman302

Looking at patch .58 In General, What has changed?!

I read through the patch notes and couldn't help but think to myself that the only major changes are new items of clothing and some other small knick knack features which, well appreciated, don't change too much.

Is persistence in and stable now and generally considered the major new addition to this patch? Anything else?

Persistence is great, and the the new vehicle shizz too, all very interesting if you ask me, oh and having batteries back also, I have never used a radio etc but again, is fun!

Edited by MadMcardle

Yep, nothing of really amazing tbh. Major thing is the new loot distribution that is not even ready and still bad with loot glitches and all that.

Fixing animation glitches was a huge step IMO, the weapon switch glitch where you were shown standing up on players screens was horrible. No ghost sounds also great, finally you can trust what you hear.

New vehicle repair will lead to getting working vehicles as a goal rather than going to one of the stationary spawn points and knowing it'll work.

Persistence means there is camp building available.

Not every patch will be filled with loads of new features but this will provide the framework for many big improvements (CLE being the main one) whilst also improving the game massively over the ridiculously tiresome .57.

• Like 1

no has mentioned the third person camera change which i think is fantastic. persistence is on finally and loot seems alright i havn't had any issues its all down to how much your willing to look, for me at least. I hear and read complaints of issues with persistence but myself haven't really encountered many problems I've been on the same server though too so maybe i'm just lucky. there has been and will be lag every once and awhile but it goes away i think performance for me at least has increased others say different. I would try it if your wanting to see theres no heli's added or giant wallas you can build yet but i think the game finally feels like a survival game. I find myself actually doing food/water runs,I have to watch my ammo as i don't have a whole lot. I also find me and my friends scouting inot the unknown areas we don't travel and having a blast finding that village that no one has looted yet full of food and such then getting paranoid that some survivor might tread in and try and take it. things like that given I havn't switched servers so i only get what the hoppers leave me lol. no really its a good update just needs time and some love form the devs.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

no new loot re spawns on a server restart 

as it is intended...no more "clanserver - join=kick" restart every ten minutes...

hard times for those cheaters

• Like 2

I thought I'd read they put a lot of energy into refining the "loot economy"  ... I have some sense of what that means but I'm sure its crazy complicated.  Good on them, that's probably best given how good loot seemed to spawn at very specific places like the walmart of guns that was the staircase of the gate entrance building.

My sense is also that the way it works, it takes time for the economy to level off - no idea what that means exactly but I hope it means that therell be more loot in places youd expect.  Right now, the high loot places like police stations, fire stations are so dry. 

I'd also hope theyd focus on the basic stuff like getting over low fences.

And the zombies.  Cmon man, how do you have a zombie game and not have any zombies in it?  Anyone have a sense when we can expect the zombies to be back?

I thought I'd read they put a lot of energy into refining the "loot economy"  ... I have some sense of what that means but I'm sure its crazy complicated.  Good on them, that's probably best given how good loot seemed to spawn at very specific places like the walmart of guns that was the staircase of the gate entrance building.

My sense is also that the way it works, it takes time for the economy to level off - no idea what that means exactly but I hope it means that therell be more loot in places youd expect.  Right now, the high loot places like police stations, fire stations are so dry. 

I'd also hope theyd focus on the basic stuff like getting over low fences.

And the zombies.  Cmon man, how do you have a zombie game and not have any zombies in it?  Anyone have a sense when we can expect the zombies to be back?

I see what your saying I too figure that they are gathering data on where we go what we loot and will adjust accordingly. As for zeds who knows honestly i don't care as crazy as it sounds it makes looting areas so much more tense since i don't have my zed alarms to tell me someone is nearby. But i figure they'll be back I would rather they just work on them till they are a lot better and try again, I would like to see the amount of players on a server raised first like to 70 or 75,maybe higher or lower it doesn't matter to me as long as its not so many it doesn't feel like the apocalypse but a riot.

I think its more of a very complicated algorithm rather than the devs actually going through the loot data.  So far, its definitely off.  I actually died from starvation on one server. 

My favorite and most noticed change was "eye zoom". 

• Like 1

The stratification of loot quadrants had made the biggest difference for me. On and near the coast food is common, but weapons + ammo or less common. Now that I'm in the NW of the map, I have an AK with all the goodies, but I'm wounded and can't find the food to get healthy. Thinking I will head down to the coast and hold up some freshie for his food.

I think the ultimate goal of the CLE is to force players to move around the map. Now that I have gotten into some fights and earned some top notch gear, I need to head back down to the coast to find other supplies. IMO, they have done a good job with CLE so far, and for the first time it doesn't feel like I can just "meta" myself some sweet loot like was possible with all of the other iterations of the loot spawning system so far.

Also, every town you enter is a potential threat. After a firefight at myshkino last night, my buddy hit the small town north of lopatino looking for food. He caught a .357 to the back of the head in a log cabin. Took him completely by surprise as we had dropped our guard and were looting the town willie nilly.

Give it a try. The changes are subtle, but will alter the way you play.

• Like 1

My favorite and most noticed change was "eye zoom". 

Did that change? I didn't notice, will have to check tonight! I recall you were pretty outspoken and against the couple of iterations where it seemed to get nerfed little by little.

I'm most excited about the loot economy changes and persistence. While I enjoyed the "times of plenty" with the guard houses where you could gear up in 5 minutes or less, now that you once again have to work to find what you need and survive people will act more like survivors and make more thoughtful choices about when to engage a fellow player in a fight vs friend vs avoid them completely. I'm also looking forward to stumbling upon people's camps...

One I've noticed about the patch that is actually very good is that the "ghost" sounds of ammo counting, can opening etc are no longer happening. Also, in general actions seem to happen more easily. But no zeds and empty towns make the game less fun.

I see what your saying I too figure that they are gathering data on where we go what we loot and will adjust accordingly. As for zeds who knows honestly i don't care as crazy as it sounds it makes looting areas so much more tense since i don't have my zed alarms to tell me someone is nearby. But i figure they'll be back I would rather they just work on them till they are a lot better and try again, I would like to see the amount of players on a server raised first like to 70 or 75,maybe higher or lower it doesn't matter to me as long as its not so many it doesn't feel like the apocalypse but a riot.

I get what you are saying too, but honestly there is no challenge to the game any more if there is no one else online.

While zombies have never been too much of a worry, except the underground or never ending horde of them, there still was an element. Currently if I'm on a low pop server I literally just run into town, ransack the place and leave without a care in the world.

I get what you are saying too, but honestly there is no challenge to the game any more if there is no one else online.

While zombies have never been too much of a worry, except the underground or never ending horde of them, there still was an element. Currently if I'm on a low pop server I literally just run into town, ransack the place and leave without a care in the world.

Then don't play low pop... Zeds, even when I large numbers were rarely dangerous merely annoying. Best patch for them in terms of challenge was when it took 3 or 4 hits with a fire axe and you were rewarded for aiming at the head. If they combined that (think it was .48 or something) with the stealth and current attack style it would be better. Still not a massive challenge but better.

I haven't played this patch yet, but if the ghost sounds were finally fixed, this is perhaps the most anticipated patch in DayZ SA history, with the possible exception of the new renderer yet to come.

In my opinion only, DayZ SA is finally at the minimum point I needed. Ive played a bit through the time its been in Alpha but finally the two big things I needed to play are: WORKING persistence. What we had before did not count. Now for the most part, persistence is working the way it should. And the second thing: Vehicles. The ability to traverse the map at higher speeds (even if at great risk) was needed. Mind you, vehicles right now are too easy (basically spawn 100% minus battery and glow plug which I just carry around with me) but I finally am getting "invested" in DayZ again.

Zombies would be nice though but I understand the reason.

Also... I did run across 2 zombies yesterday on the road leading to the east of Novo. Scared the beans outta me.

I dont understand the reason. I have noticed nothing that is actually better now with no zombies than it has been before, with zombies of different iteration. Frames are still bad in towns, glitches still happen, items still dissappear. Servers still go down, although not so often as they have earlier. Persistance isn't really persistance since things dissappear after a while. The CLE seems to be working decently though. Items respawn and you can find gear to survive. None of this seems related to the zombies though.

The stratification of loot quadrants had made the biggest difference for me. On and near the coast food is common, but weapons + ammo or less common. Now that I'm in the NW of the map, I have an AK with all the goodies, but I'm wounded and can't find the food to get healthy. Thinking I will head down to the coast and hold up some freshie for his food.

I think the ultimate goal of the CLE is to force players to move around the map. Now that I have gotten into some fights and earned some top notch gear, I need to head back down to the coast to find other supplies. IMO, they have done a good job with CLE so far, and for the first time it doesn't feel like I can just "meta" myself some sweet loot like was possible with all of the other iterations of the loot spawning system so far.

Also, every town you enter is a potential threat. After a firefight at myshkino last night, my buddy hit the small town north of lopatino looking for food. He caught a .357 to the back of the head in a log cabin. Took him completely by surprise as we had dropped our guard and were looting the town willie nilly.

Give it a try. The changes are subtle, but will alter the way you play.

And here I am playing on full servers and rarely seeing other players at all. Managed to catch someone following me into a house a week ago, but that's pretty much it. I'm just running and running and running on random.

I don't wanna go PvP at military zones. I want those random encounters, but they seem to happen so rarely. :(

• Like 1

I dont understand the reason. I have noticed nothing that is actually better now with no zombies than it has been before, with zombies of different iteration. Frames are still bad in towns, glitches still happen, items still dissappear. Servers still go down, although not so often as they have earlier. Persistance isn't really persistance since things dissappear after a while. The CLE seems to be working decently though. Items respawn and you can find gear to survive. None of this seems related to the zombies though.

The way all of those things relate to the zombie is in terms of server resources. The new CLE takes more resources than the old loot system. A lot of the things they've been adding take more resources. Removing the zombies is why things didn't get worse when they made these changes.

So I gotta ask.

If we had a low number of zombies since launch because of issues with populating zombies and loot at the same time. And then removed them around the time the CLE, a much heavier system, was implemented. When are we getting them back?

I know they're making a new renderer, but are they rebuilding the engine too or something?

Then don't play low pop... Zeds, even when I large numbers were rarely dangerous merely annoying. Best patch for them in terms of challenge was when it took 3 or 4 hits with a fire axe and you were rewarded for aiming at the head. If they combined that (think it was .48 or something) with the stealth and current attack style it would be better. Still not a massive challenge but better.

Living in the ass end of Africa I only have the choice of half a dozen servers, and they aren't populated at times I get to play.

Besides if I want to play a FPS I'll go play one.

KBK