billyangstadt

Passwording public servers

Is this actually allowed?

I'm now seeing a few public hived servers with passwords, as in their camps are 100% protected.

I figured it was just bad timing with the restart showing it as locked, but a few minutes later they're still locked and have 1-2 people in them.

It's not just a few, just yesterday, I counted 18 passworded public servers, and 11 whitelisted public servers. Just the ones I found. It's a plague, and I'm not paid to be the server policy police...   <_<

• Like 3

It's not just a few, just yesterday, I counted 18 passworded public servers, and 11 whitelisted public servers. Just the ones I found. It's a plague, and I'm not paid to be the server policy police...   <_<

I was under the impression that whitelists are allowed?

It's not just a few, just yesterday, I counted 18 passworded public servers, and 11 whitelisted public servers. Just the ones I found. It's a plague, and I'm not paid to be the server policy police... <_<

I figured once persistence came back this would be an issue. Not sure why hosting services allow passwords and white lists on anything other than private.

• Like 1

You can't whitelist a public hive server. It's almost the same exact thing as a passworded server, without the hassle of typing a password to get into said server. 

Public is exactly that...public, no restrictions permitted.

Public is exactly that...public, no restrictions permitted.

And I could only see one reason to do that, would be nice if these pro peeveepee clans could admit they're just a bunch of cawadooty bads and need every crutch available to be "leet". 

• Like 3

The staff should be the ones patrolling the server list. At this point, it would take longer than I'm willing to spend reporting each server on a new email.

Edited by DanicaHamlin

Then how can, for example, Elysium be permitted?

http://dayzelysium.com/

That says right on the first page it's a private hive server.

They can't farm loot and build camps to gear up in safety and hop onto a populated public then respawn back on their own to gear back up and repeat.

• Like 1

Nothing feels better than KOSing a public/whitelisted server.  Report them in the feedback tracker!  It works!  My experience is that the powers that be take swift action.

Nothing feels better than KOSing a public/whitelisted server. Report them in the feedback tracker! It works! My experience is that the powers that be take swift action.

There are so many to report is the problem. I don't see why someone can't gander at the server lost everyday real quickly and do their own police work.

And I could only see one reason to do that, would be nice if these pro peeveepee clans could admit they're just a bunch of cawadooty bads and need every crutch available to be "leet". 

Dont be fooled, there are many legit pvp clans out there.  For example, the clan I roll with accepts no bullshit.  Anyone with a VAC ban is rejected or kicked.  Even exploiting the flaregun in .57 would get you kicked.  Just because clans like to shoot at people, doesn't mean they take every advantage, legal or no.

• Like 1

There are so many to report is the problem. I don't see why someone can't gander at the server lost everyday real quickly and do their own police work.

It's not too many.  Sometimes things require a bit of effort.   If a handful of people start doing this, the problem will go away.

Dont be fooled, there are many legit pvp clans out there.  For example, the clan I roll with accepts no bullshit.  Anyone with a VAC ban is rejected or kicked.  Even exploiting the flaregun in .57 would get you kicked.  Just because clans like to shoot at people, doesn't mean they take every advantage, legal or no.

I'm not fooled and believe you, I actually played Ghost Recon in an old guy clan back in the day that happily lived with a less than stellar w/l ratio rather than stoop to the cheaters level.

I think you can admit there's a good amount of not so honest ones around these days though. 

I admittedly was trying to be slightly inflammatory because they're usually the first to get their knickers in a bunch when your inadvertently call them on their shit.  

I've reported as many as I care to, I'm not going to spend my limited free time reporting servers when it can be just as easily patrolled by the powers who can address it.

It would take them 10 minutes what would take me 30

That says right on the first page it's a private hive server.

They can't farm loot and build camps to gear up in safety and hop onto a populated public then respawn back on their own to gear back up and repeat.

Aha! That explains a lot!

Aha! That explains a lot!

That's why I play private, no hopping, no urge/ability to hop and a better percentage of players that are invested in their character's "life". 

• Like 2

That's why I play private, no hopping, no urge/ability to hop and a better percentage of players that are invested in their character's "life".

I would, but I like playing on high pop servers, and don't want to wait if the server is full.

I would, but I like playing on high pop servers, and don't want to wait if the server is full.

I usually like low pop personally but decided to just roll with the first 1pp private I found that didn't have a BE ping kick and it fluctuates from high to none. Going to stick with it for the cycle if nothing changes with the ping kick and work on being more on my toes for other players. I've already had one neutral interaction in the first hour I was playing, warned him I was standing behind him and told him to keep his distance we both went our merry ways looking back over our shoulders. 

If you ask the admin of the private server nicely he can make it so you never have to wait :)