gannon46

Nature mans ban hammer

So i was thinking what about our original enemy the one humans have tried to control the one that has actually kicked our ass numerous time can take out cities towns entire civilizations...mother earth. i know we do have a lot more elemental mechanics in dayz than most so-called survival games we have hot and cold climate changes rain has an effect and we have clothing to give us resistance to these things which i love. we have cholera which i like but its not dangerous enough for my taste. but we need more i think more nature and game world related things could be our main PVE enemy more so than zeds which mean the game could get better and they could take more time to perfect the zeds and at the same time they not be as crucial an element of the game meaning main PVE enemy. so if we had brutal world things like seasons with extremes of cold and hot diseases like the flu,common cold, things like bad storms with wind that would mixed with extreme cold weather could cause whiteouts. there are so many things that they can do with just weather and nature to make the game more difficult and more of a struggle which to me = a good survival game. i hope what we have seen is just the beginning of the game world wanting to kill us, with the zeds humans and nature itself trying to bury us and all those things combine into a real struggle not just at the beginning a constant struggle even when your fully geared. and i should've put a , after nature in the title didn't realize till i hit post.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 5

If not DayZ itself, I would really like to see a survival game, similar to DayZ, with forest fires, lightning strikes, hail and freezing rain, tornadoes, extreme cold or heat waves and various natural disaster like that, along with the classic infected/zombie, or not.

In and of itself, nature isn't "out to get you". It isn't even antagonistic, because "nature" isn't sentient. It is just a collection of forces that will work on the planet, regardless of what you try to do.  This is something I try to teach my wilderness survival classes: that you aren't going to "fight Mother Nature". If you do, you are going to lose, very very badly. Think of a grain of sand before a flood.

Instead, you have to try to "live WITH nature" instead of trying to fight it. And, no, I am not referring to some hippie-mystical-Native American mumbo-jumbo, here. (Protip: in actuality, Native Americans did just as much harm to the environment as the Europeans did. New England today is 2-3 times more heavily forested than it was in the 1600s.) You eat what is provided, you use what you can get.

I know its not out to get me i understand that but i was thinking of the power it has and how it can be the ultimate threat or PVE enemy in a game. I always read how we need a PVE threat and how the zeds will be the one to do be that PVE threat but i think nature itself could actually take that role better and it be a long term PVE threat instead of zeds which can be countered with gear pretty much atleast right now in the game. and what does the native american comment have to do with anything you have a gun as your avatar and your always going on about survival we know your not a hippie. i would argue history how man is complete shit no matter if he's a native or whatever but thats for another day and not this forum.

i wish people used punctuation for shit like this

I wish a lot of things but i don't get them 

1) Your lack of sentence structure makes it 1: difficult to actually understand what point you are attempting to get across, and 2: sometimes physically painful to read, especially the run-on sentences.

2) What, exactly, makes the environment suddenly so much of a threat? Again, Nature isn't TRYING to kill you: your death is just a result of natural processes that would happen if you were there or not.

Hot and cold temperatures: this is little more than clothing and food.water-intake management. If it is hot, I need less clothing, a hat, and to drink more water. If it is cold, I need more clothing, more food, more water and I need to drink more water.

Storms: Go inside a building, dumbass. On the map, you are probably never more than 5 minutes away from a building. Inside, the wind, cold, and wet can do nothing to harm you

Diseases: you have a point here. However, the diseases should be realistic, not hyped up to provide artificial challenge.

Hunger: Believe me, there is PLENTY of food available in the wilds of Chernarus, we just can't access it yet. Take a look at any body of water in the game. You will see some reed-like plants. Those plants are cattails, aka "God's gift to man" in a survival situation. Easy to get, full of starch, and useful for other things. Boom; hunger solved

Finally, no. If I have a base with electricity, insulated buildings (which aren't hard to make, even by hand), and plenty of food, water and a warm fire, I am not going to give one single fuck about the environment. Staying there should be relatively easy, getting there should be relatively hard.

I want realism, NOT "artificial difficulty". "The Long Dark" had artificial difficulty, and I am rapidly becoming disillusioned with the game as a result. "Realism" is all the difficulty we need.

• Like 3

1) Your lack of sentence structure makes it 1: difficult to actually understand what point you are attempting to get across, and 2: sometimes physically painful to read, especially the run-on sentences.

exactly my point

• Like 2

exactly my point

There are far worse out there.

True, bullet points would have gone a long way to help make each one clearer. However, I didnt find it painful to read.

2) What, exactly, makes the environment suddenly so much of a threat? Again, Nature isn't TRYING to kill you: your death is just a result of natural processes that would happen if you were there or not.

Hot and cold temperatures: this is little more than clothing and food.water-intake management. If it is hot, I need less clothing, a hat, and to drink more water. If it is cold, I need more clothing, more food, more water and I need to drink more water.

Storms: Go inside a building, dumbass. On the map, you are probably never more than 5 minutes away from a building. Inside, the wind, cold, and wet can do nothing to harm you

Diseases: you have a point here. However, the diseases should be realistic, not hyped up to provide artificial challenge.

Hunger: Believe me, there is PLENTY of food available in the wilds of Chernarus, we just can't access it yet. Take a look at any body of water in the game. You will see some reed-like plants. Those plants are cattails, aka "God's gift to man" in a survival situation. Easy to get, full of starch, and useful for other things. Boom; hunger solved

Finally, no. If I have a base with electricity, insulated buildings (which aren't hard to make, even by hand), and plenty of food, water and a warm fire, I am not going to give one single fuck about the environment. Staying there should be relatively easy, getting there should be relatively hard.

I want realism, NOT "artificial difficulty". "The Long Dark" had artificial difficulty, and I am rapidly becoming disillusioned with the game as a result. "Realism" is all the difficulty we need.

For once, I actually agree with herro.

Mother earth doesn't have a "personality", its not "trying" to kill you. This is a basic way of saying it but....shit happens. Weather is out there, not trying to specifically kill you, its just happening.

i should've just said make the game like project zomboid with the medical and the seasons its has every thing in the right place so far nothing is artificial as our expert above posted. and on my sentence structure and my punctuation I would try harder to do if you hippies would say please then maybe i wouldn't do this to threads

i wish people used punctuation for shit like this

You say that yet don't use it yourself.

You say that yet don't use it yourself.

not required for what i said, i didn't type up a wall of text lol

Edited by hooligun
  • Like 1

In and of itself, nature isn't "out to get you". It isn't even antagonistic, because "nature" isn't sentient. It is just a collection of forces that will work on the planet, regardless of what you try to do.

Aha! But DayZ is a game of stories and adventure, and Man vs. Nature is an ancient, classic literary struggle. Can't really blame people for searching for more story. =3

not required for what i said, i didn't type up a wall of text lol

You can't criticize someone for not using punctuation and not use it yourself, regardless of how many words you use.

Furthermore, using some punctuation in a sentence is worse than not using any.

Edited by RagedDrew

You can't criticize someone for not using punctuation and not use it yourself, regardless of how many words you use.

Furthermore, using some punctuation in a sentence is worse than not using any.

my statement didn't require any punctuation.

So i was thinking what about our original enemy the one humans have tried to control the one that has actually kicked our ass numerous time can take out cities towns entire civilizations...mother earth. i know we do have a lot more elemental mechanics in dayz than most so-called survival games we have hot and cold climate changes rain has an effect and we have clothing to give us resistance to these things which i love. we have cholera which i like but its not dangerous enough for my taste. but we need more i think more nature and game world related things could be our main PVE enemy more so than zeds which mean the game could get better and they could take more time to perfect the zeds and at the same time they not be as crucial an element of the game meaning main PVE enemy. so if we had brutal world things like seasons with extremes of cold and hot diseases like the flu,common cold, things like bad storms with wind that would mixed with extreme cold weather could cause whiteouts. there are so many things that they can do with just weather and nature to make the game more difficult and more of a struggle which to me = a good survival game. i hope what we have seen is just the beginning of the game world wanting to kill us, with the zeds humans and nature itself trying to bury us and all those things combine into a real struggle not just at the beginning a constant struggle even when your fully geared. and i should've put a , after nature in the title didn't realize till i hit post.

this would be cool. also having like hypothermia etc if you dont warm up fast enough. I would love to see th different weather changes. could you imaging running through a white out and all of a sudden you come accross a horde of zeds.... epic.

my statement didn't require any punctuation.

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound right now? "Oh I only typed 1 sentence therefore no need for punctuation"

I'll try and make it simple for you okay, even if you type just two (2) words you need to use punctuation, even more so when you are being a dick to someone else for not using punctuation, because if you don't, you look a complete tool. Are you a tool? Did you even school bro?

Edited by RagedDrew
  • Like 1

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound right now? "Oh I only typed 1 sentence therefore no need for punctuation"

I'll try and make it simple for you okay, even if you type just two (2) words you need to use punctuation, even more so when you are being a dick to someone else for not using punctuation, because if you don't, you look a complete tool. Are you a tool? Did you even school bro?

you mad?

there's my punctuation, happy?

don't be so fucking sensitive, woman.

Edited by hooligun
  • Like 1

RagedDrew and hooligun play nice or do not play at all.

hooligun please don't report someone and then attack them, That just brings attention to your wrong doings, you've done this before. No more.

I'll try and make it simple for you, okay(,)? Even if you type just two (2) words, you need to use punctuation(,); even more so when you are being a dick to someone else for not using punctuation(,).  Because if you don't, you look a complete tool. (That last one still felt a bit clunky by starting it with the word "because," but I am not yet that confident in the use of semicolons; to warrant such joining of three (3) --because this is how we do-- related clauses.)  Are you a tool? Did you even school, bro?

I don't mean to be crumudgeonly here, but if you are going to attack someone for not punctuating their admonishment of another's lack of punctuation, you should make ceratin that any statements made to that effect are perfectly puncuated; it's the least you can do.

I sure do hope this is helpful, because I am now roasting in my hot house, in the late afternoon.  I should be outside, weeding my garden; because nature does not wait on account of our human whims.  Whether we like it, or not, nature takes its course.  My nature is to correct things that are less than optimal.  This grammar-bomb has bugged me so much, that my vegetables now suffer; I hope you are proud of yourselves.  If anyone isn't picking up what I'm laying down on the constructive side of this post, perhaps we should consider the environmental effects on horticulture.  I think that is just what DayZ gardening mechanics need:  Weed that shit or your garden will get a crappy yield!!!

edit:  My puncuation corrections were not perfect on the first try; how embarrassing!  ROFL

Edited by emuthreat

you mad?

there's my punctuation, happy?

don't be so fucking sensitive, woman.

Lol says the guy who got all mad over someone who didn't use punctuation while not using it himself then reports me. So the question is, why are you mad over a wall of text and why you mad at me for calling out your stupidity?

I don't mean to be crumudgeonly here, but if you are going to attack someone for not punctuating their admonishment of another's lack of punctuation, you should make ceratin that any statements made to that effect are perfectly puncuated; it's the least you can do.

I sure do hope this is helpful, because I am now roasting in my hot house, in the late afternoon.  I should be outside, weeding my garden; because nature does not wait on account of our human whims.  Whether we like it, or not, nature takes its course.  My nature is to correct things that are less than optimal.  This grammar-bomb has bugged me so much, that my vegetables now suffer; I hope you are proud of yourselves.  If anyone isn't picking up what I'm laying down on the constructive side of this post, perhaps we should consider the environmental effects on horticulture.  I think that is just what DayZ gardening mechanics need:  Weed that shit or your will get a crappy yield!!!

You clearly are missing the point here. I have no problem with people using or not using punctuation, however I do have a problem with people who call out others for it and not even bother "attempting" to use it themselves. I know I'm not perfect at typing hence why I don't go around being a dick to others for it unlike that other guy.

Edited by RagedDrew

You clearly are missing the point here. I have no problem with people using or not using punctuation, however I do have a problem with people who call out others for it and not even bother "attempting" to use it themselves. I know I'm not perfect at typing hence why I don't go around being a dick to others for it unlike that other guy.

Hey, I was just having some fun with it.  I can see that you still are not.  Why am I still not outside weeding my tomatoes and peppers yet?  I blame you. Now you must help me design hammocks for my burgeoning melons; so that they don't grow up with flat, pale spots.  Deal?