TheMachine

I KNOW you're an exploiter if you disagree

There needs to be a logout timer - simple as.

When you hit abort it should have a 30 second (minimum' date=' probably more) timer that starts and you can't logout before it ends.

Similarly if you alt + F4 you should stay in game for 60 seconds.

Exploiters will [i']claim that this will result in deaths from internet kicks etc.

But that's only because they enjoy exploiting ALT + F4, two finger salute.

The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore.

And hell, even if they did, a few deaths (probably less than 1%) from kicks is better than 80% of people abusing exploits that ruin the immersion of the game.

I know rocket is working on a solution, I'm just making this thread because I really hope he goes all the way to stop this behaviour.

There will be whining, there will be crying, but there will also be more carebears dying and that, I think we can all agree is a good thing.

Agreed. Your character should persist on server past the point of disconnect, and if you die, your corpse should remain as well. I think 30 seconds is pretty fair.

I'm not sure the 60 second thing is fair, as I don't think there's a technical way to distinguish between a CPU crash or unintentional disconnect as opposed to alt-f4. From the game engine's perspective they are effectively the same thing. So I don't think you can really punish alt-f4, you can just make it risky by game conditions that apply to every other disconnect method as well.

I don't think the chance of death caused by a 30 second timer on a legitimate accidental disconnect is significant. Unless you just happen to disconnect after spooking a hoard, and that seems pretty unlikely to me, as conflicts happen pretty fast in DayZ.

Negative, everything or nothing. With everything i mean: youy character MUST remain on the server h24, no matter what. You want to sleep? No problem, go to sleep.. leave your character under a tree and HOPE it won't be found by another player or a zed. Or eventually join a team with friends all around the world and make the guard turns.

Don't like it? Then you're a pussy exploiter cheater kid.

30 seconds? Pffff... u little tiny crying girl.

I suggest an alternative that people might prefer' date=' since a lot of this is about PVP and people avoiding death in firefights.

[b']1) Shooting incurs a timer:

It's simple. You fire a shot? You get a 60 second countdown timer. Firing more shots will reset the counter. This works for people attempting to weasel their way out of an overwhelming zombie horde as well as for people who tried shooting someone and weren't prepared for repercussions. If you try alt+f4ing within this 60 second period, your body stays in for a full 60 seconds.

This could also be applied to bleeding: you get a 60 second countdown timer, starting at the point you start bleeding. If you try to alt+f4 while bleeding, then your body stays in-game for 60 seconds.

2) Logging out:

Esc, abort, disconnect, disconnect is currently how conventional logging out goes. With a 15 second timer, this would become Esc, abort, wait a while, disconnect, disconnect. If you alt+f4 to log out, or your net drops, or you have a power outage, then your body stays in-game for 30 seconds. If you have zombie aggro, too bad. If you're being shot at, too bad. Avoiding zeds is as simple as going prone for 30 seconds.

Pros:

Allows players who aren't in combat to have a reasonably short disconnect period.

Anyone who shoots in a firefight is locked into that firefight for a full minute, at minimum.

Makes PVPers think twice before opening fire on someone.

Makes being knocked unconscious and being eaten alive more of a death sentence than it currently is.

Forces players to find a safe place to disconnect.

Cons:

Forces players to find a safe place to disconnect. Not that it's too hard to do; even in a hurry it's possible to go prone and sit under a tree for 15 to 30 seconds.

Still lets players who are behind cover and aren't shooting back log out quite quickly, albeit less quickly than they currently can.

With unreliable internet, it places the player at greater risk of being harmed during the timed period (for about 30 seconds, though).

In my opinion, this system would work quite well and reduce the amount of mindless shooting going on in DayZ, and make it so that people have to commit to firing a shot. I think I'll throw this at the suggestion board.

this is all fine and dandy but if you go into shock you should also suffer the same log out duration as the assaulter. Elsewise hiding around a corner and logging out if you don't shoot back lets you safely exploit, the guy who shot effectively can't leave even though you robbed him of his risk/reward.

Relying solely on timers is pretty crappy... better than nothing though, I guess.

If you disagree with me i know you are a cheater.....

thats some grade A BS you could sell it by the bag load, maybe grow some roses or something.

I died last night(18 day old char) to an exploit but i totally disagree with you, all it will do is punish those with spotty internet connections. yes... they do exist.

All there needs to be is an out of combat timer, cross server tracking and the current server knowing the state of character before he disconnects. Based on this information you would very quickly get a positive identification if someone repeatedly logs off, does server hopping to change location. etc. A regular logout after 30s of non combat is perfectly fine imo.

Off hand I can't think of any on-line multiplayer game where there is a mechanism that works against disconnecting player. So why try to go this way and not instead use some of the mechanisms that actually are implemented in MMOGs and online multiplayer games?

Actually I'd prefer it just be tracked behavior where in certain events such as disconnect right after being wounded or at the first encounter of other players, penalties be applied on reconnect like a bolt of lightning on reconnect, a healthy bright glow surrounding the skin, or smoke trail with slowed movement etc.

And there's other things that could be added to that like having a meter that measures the events and allows some leeway for false positive events, applying increasingly dangerous penalties, while the meter itself only decreases during game time.

I see good suggestions while some shit ppl suggest is beyond ridiculous and such simplified logic. I can appreciate a 20-30 second timer, but even a minute is stupid. Someone rings on your door bell, or there's any number of minor emergencies, you log out any where near a populated area your coming back to a dead character. As for being kicked, I get kicked for battle eye/version upgrade issues, because some servers will lower there ping restricted range or I begin to fall out of it. I have a fiber optic connection but random disconnects happen (in this game more than any other I play. I hate cheaters, can't stress it enough. But these suggestions will end up effecting us so let's think before we make them.

Peace and love tho ya know, people can say whatever stupid shit they like.

Fuck disconnect exploiting. Fuck people with poor internet. If you can't afford decent, average internet then fuck off and stop playing online. You're ruining it for everybody.

As someone said. The needs of many outweigh the needs of few.

Tired of trying to rain terror down on somebody only to see them stop briefly before disappearing. Ri-di-cu-lo-us.

15 second leaving timer if you leave twice in an hour. Sometimes the game just bugs itself out and you shouldn't get punished for bugs like glitching into walls/windows when zeds are chasing you

Not read all 9 pages. And tbh don't normally read posts that have immature titles like "I know your a fag if you have a different opinion".

30 second (or more) timer to initiate for logging when certain requirements are met. Such as, If you shoot your weapon or you receive any damage.

That way you can still log for genuine reasons, but if you shoot at someone and it goes wrong and they come after you you have to wait the timer. If you get shot or hit from a Zed the same timer.

Something needs to be done to stop people logging of after they failed to kill you. imo something like this does that without harming players who drop because of connection or having to log for genuine reasons.

No need to harm genuine players to get a solution to this.

Just need to target the certain situations where logging of is an exploit.

Such as logging after giving or receiving damage.

Hey how about you get banned if you try to disconnect from the server ? THAT would be an epic idea ! Also from time to time you just randomly die , because the game is already too easy.

This is not the most pressing problem and the solution is not worth the issues it adds.

I think mass killing and server hopping are more pressing issues, so what is your solution to those?

Relying solely on timers is pretty crappy... better than nothing though' date=' I guess.

[/quote']

There are really elegant background solutions to the technical problem of timers within the context of a game engine, and a system like this really doesn't require a GUI element. You'll only really ever have to realistically worry about it if you TRY to game the system. For normal play you have a virtually zero chance of actually noticing it even there.

I think mass killing and server hopping are more pressing issues' date=' so what is your solution to those?

[/quote']

I always thought the answer to mass killing/hacks was a quick server hop >.>

insta nothing going on

10s zombie agro

30s if shots within a 500m radius

60s if you shot in the last 10m

2m if you have been hit within last 5m by zombie

5m if you have been hit within last 10m by player

What about making character very vulnerable for first 15 mins since log in when not a new character, making it die much more easy than now, eating helping less? From 15 mins to 1 hour have it same as now, and after 1 hour improve health from now a little, make the bleeding maybe 10% less and eating add 10% more blood than now, so to encourage staying logged for longer at a time?

Anyone heard of EVE online? If you agro someone, a timer starts to count down from 15 mins. At that period you HAVE TO go into safe place and wait for the counter to count down. You cannot dock into starbases because youre flagged as criminal, so warping out to deadspace is practically the only option, like running into the thick forest in DayZ and hide under the tree. Same thing if you disconnect in space without agroing. Timer is shorter but it still exists, 10 to 15 secs if i remember correctly.

I know there was some problems with this implementation in the past versions but i cant see any other solution to this mess.

And to the ppl who shout "buy a better internets! go live in big cities!" or something else completely and utterly stupid. Grow up. I live in Finland and the connection with my ISP has been pretty stable for many years now. But blackouts do happen. Perhaps not weekly, or event monthly but it still happens. And power cuts. Thunderstorms? Lightning striking to the powerlines and *poof*. There goes the internets. Like someone said before, there isnt a person in the whole wide world who havent suffered from connection problems or power cuts.

Oh and cant remember correctly those timersin EVE, might be less or more.

All thats needed is 5-10 second timer. If you cannot kill someone in that amount of time, you are doing it wrong.

What about people like me who have constant computer crashes?

You gonna pay for me to get a new PC so it doesn't happen?

I'd like one of those high-end, gaming PC's if you don't mind. Red with black trim. Blood red. Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the reason why we dont already have a logout timer the fact that it's hard to implement in the arma II engine? I think that until we can reach a better solution a temporary fix should be added to simply kill anyone leaving a server withing maybe 1 min (or even >1 min) after taking damage from a player. There would obviously have to be like an icon for this.

Yes there is a chance that people with poor internet or w/e will be killed in the process. To be frank though, people with poor latency suffer from problems with aiming etc but noone is talking about that. That an extremely small number of players will lose their character is bad but there is really no way out of that.

@OP You sir, are a TROLL!

How about contributing to one of the other hundreds of threads that already discuss this problem instead, rather than start a new one. + Try opening your mind to alternative viewpoints. It is a useful life skill. Closing your mind to them tends to make you a bigot.

No one is right all the time.

As for the "needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" Star Trek fan club crew... Go back to Star Trek please. You don't "need" to impose draconian measures on all, to deal with the questionable behaviour of the few. You may "want" to do so, but there is a difference!

i do use the logout "exploit" because zombies are retarded(super fast zig-zag running, moving through walls etc)

i will stop exploiting the game when the zombies do