TheMachine

I KNOW you're an exploiter if you disagree

No True Scottsman fallacy with ad hominem implementation, go!

"The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore"

But what about us Australians? ): silly government and their promises..

I somewhat agree, but there should be some kind of feature that if you log out or disconnect near a campfire then the timer is gone and you instantly disconnect.

Yeah i was about to say the same thing as Gromit. Beat me to it!

My internet drops out a few times a day

* [REVERT] 5 second delay for disconnecting (will need to wait till new method developed)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13996

I disagree with this simply because it has been done already and failed, Rocket is waiting for a new(read: different) method to prevent this, so keep your panties on

But thanks for yet another thread about aborting mid-fight.....like we didn't have enough of these already

Not only does it need a delay when logging out, But I believe we also need a delay from logging back in.

Better stop server hoppers as well (hopping from one server to the next to loot quality gear from the same few spots)

If we were to add lets say 10 - 15 minutes from log off to log back in I think that would be sufficient to at least slow that looting exploit

Not only does it need a delay when logging out' date=' But I believe we also need a delay from logging back in.

Better stop server hoppers as well (hopping from one server to the next to loot quality gear from the same few spots)

If we were to add lets say 10 - 15 minutes from log off to log back in I think that would be sufficient to at least slow that looting exploit

[/quote']

That's such a great idea

I'd love to stare at my screen for 15 minutes because the server I joined first happened to:

-disconnect me

-fail to connect to HIVE at all

-have bad FPS through a cleanup routine error

-have bad ping because of a display error in the server browser

-restart

Sounds like fun for the whole fucking family, now would you please think first and try again? Thanks

All of the things listed above are more common than server hoppers btw, but who cares

And, as we all know by now: the fact that a random dude on a random server in a random location(read: low probability of EVER meeting this person in battle) has NVGs through a less-legit way COMPLETELY RUINS MY GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE

Am I the only one not giving the slightest fuck about random dude number 19024 on random server number 1200 on random coordinate XXXYYY having higher gear than me through server hopping?

Not only does it need a delay when logging out' date=' But I believe we also need a delay from logging back in.

[/quote']

That's such a great idea

I'd love to stare at my screen for 15 minutes because the server I joined first happened to:

-disconnect me

-failed to connect to HIVE at all

-had bad FPS

-had bad ping

-restarted

Sounds like fun for the whole fucking family, now would you please think first and try again? Thanks

All of the things listed above are more common than server hoppers btw, but who cares

And, as we all know by now: the fact that a random dude on a random server in a random location(read: low probability of EVER meeting said person in battle) has NVGs through a less-legit way COMPLETELY RUINS MY GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Sorry, bro, this NEVER happens to me, everything's cherry for me, sucks to be you.

:D

this NEVER happens to me

Which is exactly why there are updates dedicated to decreasing performance hits induced by cleanup routines/AI behavior and updates to increase server architecture performance

Never happened...ever...to nobody....nowhere

There needs to be a logout timer - simple as.

When you hit abort it should have a 30 second (minimum' date=' probably more) timer that starts and you can't logout before it ends.

Similarly if you alt + F4 you should stay in game for 60 seconds.

Exploiters will [i']claim that this will result in deaths from internet kicks etc.

But that's only because they enjoy exploiting ALT + F4, two finger salute.

The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore.

And hell, even if they did, a few deaths (probably less than 1%) from kicks is better than 80% of people abusing exploits that ruin the immersion of the game.

I know rocket is working on a solution, I'm just making this thread because I really hope he goes all the way to stop this behaviour.

There will be whining, there will be crying, but there will also be more carebears dying and that, I think we can all agree is a good thing.

I disagree

My post was sarcasm.

It sounded like "LOL BUY A BETTER PC BRO, EVERYTHING'S FINE ON MY SIDE" to me

I apologize if I misunderstood it

There needs to be a logout timer - simple as.

When you hit abort it should have a 30 second (minimum' date=' probably more) timer that starts and you can't logout before it ends.

Similarly if you alt + F4 you should stay in game for 60 seconds.

Exploiters will [i']claim that this will result in deaths from internet kicks etc.

But that's only because they enjoy exploiting ALT + F4, two finger salute.

First of all, your title of the thread- if I disagree, I must be an exploiter. This is a fallacy; there is no link between the two.

Second of all, this assumes we are all mindless players who do not have lives outside of DayZ. A few weeks ago I received a phone call from a friend who was stranded on the interstate in a heavy downpour. I logged my ass off to go deal with a real problem. I'm not going to think about some pissant's wet dream to get his kill whether or not I was in a firefight. A 30 second timer could mean that my sudden logging out will turn into a surprised and confused me logging in and seeing a "Pick male or female" screen.

Imagine this: I log out due to needing to do something important suddenly, while in a building/town/someplace. While my character is pending despawn, a suvivor sees me and kills me because he can tell that I'm pending despawn. Where is the fairness in this? This is a terrible idea for all the wrong reasons.

The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore.

And hell' date=' even if they did, a few deaths (probably less than 1%) from kicks is better than 80% of people abusing exploits that ruin the immersion of the game.

I know rocket is working on a solution, I'm just making this thread because I really hope he goes [b']all the way to stop this behaviour.

There will be whining, there will be crying, but there will also be more carebears dying and that, I think we can all agree is a good thing.

The truth is, you cannot assume that everyone's internet connectivity and power grid is as stable as yours. That is unfair to people, even if they are a minority. Also, you are assuming that ArmA2's netcode is robust and unbreakable. Wrong there. I've been playing on this engine since Operation Flashpoint and while ArmA2 is worlds better than OFP, it still has a lot of issues on multiplayer games.

I really hope you understand what a 30 second timer will do to honest people. I work hard for the things I do in DayZ and I'd rather not have all my hard work taken away because I died due to a long ass pending despawn when I responded to something important in real life.

Edit: On the topic of delay for switching servers, I also disagree. Until the servers become more stable and there is some way to see what the in-game time is on a server, this is only going to piss people off. Most sessions, I have to bounce in and out of a few servers to find one that I like. Sometimes I will log into a server that's currently on a night cycle, so I'll log out. The next server might have given me the weird issue where I log in and have absolutely shitty performance (like 2fps, when I have very high fps on the highest settings). Other times I'll try to join and I'll get stuck at "loading" or "waiting for character to create." I can only imagine this being worse for people who do not have great machines.

Simply put, this idea of 10-15 minute waits between server joining is not friendly to players who are playing honestly. Who cares about server hoppers; the damn loot is going to respawn. Crippling the game for others just to nab a few server hoppers isn't the way to fix the issues.

Okay, I agree with you on the whole there needs to be a fix to players disco-ing all the time. But I just watched this.

Now, with the log out timer, it means that every single person on that server will die.

Personally, I think it is more of an issue to sort out all of the hackers and skiddies that are pulling this shit first. But that's not Rocket or the Dev teams fault, that's a Battleye issue.

May be, may not be. The only game that I've played recently that utilized this feature was the browser game Dead Frontier.

Internet does suck for a good amount of people.

The odds of it going out at just the right time are so small it just won't be an issue relatively speaking. And it'll be a shortish timer

Exactly.

If your internet is that bad then you're probably dying due to latency issues a lot anyway.

For 99.5% of people it isn't an problem' date=' thus the game shouldn't be handicapped for the tiny .5% who have [b']some issues.

But anyway, I bet that guy who posted above is an alt + F4 pirate.

Just alt + F4 out of this thread, buddy. :dodgy:

Unless you are really a kid, please, stop acting like one.

I bet you used this "exploit" a few times, right?

This is just a game, why take it so serious?

We should all let rocket do his thing, we'll probably be satisfied with the results in the end.

All this whining from PK'rs is amusing. I don't understand how DC'ing helps once you have been shot anyway. You just die on another server.

I suggest head shots to keep them from DC'ing on you. Killing them was the point wasn't it? :D

As to timers...one minute is ridiculous. I would suggest 15 seconds. More than that will be an issue when looking for a day time server. If they fix the darkness issues then a longer timer would be ok.

5 seconds would be good, 10 sec would be overkill but probably acceptable. Dayz is not like other games where fights usually take up to at least a minute or more. A single well placed shot can end a persons life instantly. If you cant finish him off within 5 seconds you need to get a more powerful weapon or just don't be bad at the game. If the guy is a distance away and manages to get into cover and tries to log you wouldn't even kill him in 30-40 sec unless you sprint right at him which no sensible person would do anyway. I've been cornered in a room for 10 minutes before without anyone daring to try come in.

Also who's gameplay do you think is more "ruined"? The guy who doesn't get a kill because the someone logged on him, or the guy who loses connection for whatever reason and dies because he is standing in the middle of a field or on the street for 40 seconds?

I suggest an alternative that people might prefer, since a lot of this is about PVP and people avoiding death in firefights.

1) Shooting incurs a timer:

It's simple. You fire a shot? You get a 60 second countdown timer. Firing more shots will reset the counter. This works for people attempting to weasel their way out of an overwhelming zombie horde as well as for people who tried shooting someone and weren't prepared for repercussions. If you try alt+f4ing within this 60 second period, your body stays in for a full 60 seconds.

This could also be applied to bleeding: you get a 60 second countdown timer, starting at the point you start bleeding. If you try to alt+f4 while bleeding, then your body stays in-game for 60 seconds.

2) Logging out:

Esc, abort, disconnect, disconnect is currently how conventional logging out goes. With a 15 second timer, this would become Esc, abort, wait a while, disconnect, disconnect. If you alt+f4 to log out, or your net drops, or you have a power outage, then your body stays in-game for 30 seconds. If you have zombie aggro, too bad. If you're being shot at, too bad. Avoiding zeds is as simple as going prone for 30 seconds.

Pros:

Allows players who aren't in combat to have a reasonably short disconnect period.

Anyone who shoots in a firefight is locked into that firefight for a full minute, at minimum.

Makes PVPers think twice before opening fire on someone.

Makes being knocked unconscious and being eaten alive more of a death sentence than it currently is.

Forces players to find a safe place to disconnect.

Cons:

Forces players to find a safe place to disconnect. Not that it's too hard to do; even in a hurry it's possible to go prone and sit under a tree for 15 to 30 seconds.

Still lets players who are behind cover and aren't shooting back log out quite quickly, albeit less quickly than they currently can.

With unreliable internet, it places the player at greater risk of being harmed during the timed period (for about 30 seconds, though).

In my opinion, this system would work quite well and reduce the amount of mindless shooting going on in DayZ, and make it so that people have to commit to firing a shot. I think I'll throw this at the suggestion board.

My internet is pretty terrible. I get disconnected a lot from servers just over in Chicago' date=' and I live in Indiana, if I even manage to join a game. And I can tell you, that this will result in a lot of deaths. I know that this will solve the other problem, [u']but which would you rather have, the innocent being punished and complaining on the forums, or the guilty just continuing to enjoy the game in their own way.

Try playing with less-than average internet for a week and see how this would impact your experience.

Pretty confident that the "innocent" already deem themselves "punished" by their playstyle and QQ about it constantly in thread after tiresome thread. Also pretty confident that the "guilty", AKA exploiters, are already enjoying the game in their own way. So basically, you're proposing we leave everything how it currently is... mighty proactive thinking there, superstar. :idea:

Honestly' date=' who really cares? I might get a little miffed if I walk up on someone and put a mag in them only for them to DC, but I honestly don't give a fuck afterwards and I move on. It's a fucking game for christ's sake, and there are other problems that need to be tackled instead of dealing with the people that bawl because the guy they shot had a DMR and a Coyote backpack, but they couldn't get it because he/she disconnected.

And great title, OP, "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is obviously wrong." :rolleyes:

[/quote']

Alt + F4 bandit here.

Roar, I'm angry at the world! Anyone who disagrees is automatically an exploiter! All points are invalid unless they're in agreement! I'll reply to everyone's comments with "you're an Alt+F4 Bandit" and automatically win all discussions!

Don't start a forum thread if you're not willing to allow civil discussions. Just because you're angry about people exploiting doesn't mean people aren't allowed to have different opinions from your own.

I thought the problem from a modder standpoint was that they couldn't get a player body to exist after connection termination.

I've got a few friends living in modern suburban areas with terrible internet connections. And while my internet connection is stable right now, I've experienced having an unstable connection in the past. That said, I'd take getting killed while my internet cut out over falling victim of a cowardly exploiter.

I love DayZ, but I rarely play it today. On two occasions I've been gunned down by a bandit who mistakedly assumed I was alone, while looting my body my friends would open fire only to have the bandit D/C with half of my gear. How's that for unfair?

I can not imagine I'm the only one who've had similar experiences with this exploit, and I can't imagine I'm the only one who are reluctant to play because of it.

I get that it'd be unfair for those with unstable internet connections, but you can't leave a game breaking exploit in the game just because the only currently available viable solution would be inconvenient for a few.

I thought the problem from a modder standpoint was that they couldn't get a player body to exist after connection termination.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can't prevent the game from removing the player from the game when he disconnects, but I can think of a few work arounds. Then again, I'm not overly experienced with ArmA scripting, nor do I know how DayZ is structured so all I can do is inaccurately theorize.