venkman302

Let's talk bout them Chainsaws

Are chainsaws back in? Why aren't something as cool as chainsaws, and as perfect for the genre and dayz, celebrated and discussed more?!

I'm surprised people aren't making movies about and chasing these things down.

Chainsaws are teh coolness!

i used it once to cut down an field of appletrees, but that thing is so damm loud that i dropped it after an short time

They still spawn, just sometimes they are placed slightly underground so you can only see the top of them. Makes it hard to spot 

• Like 1

I love going along the sides of the main road on the coast and cutting the trees down on either side of the road, making it impossible to see where you're going as you're driving or walking. I'd do it for as long as the chainsaw works, and lordy, lots of trees have fallen due to me.

• Like 3

I love going along the sides of the main road on the coast and cutting the trees down on either side of the road, making it impossible to see where you're going as you're driving or walking. I'd do it for as long as the chainsaw works, and lordy, lots of trees have fallen due to me.

now on experimental its absolutly fun, cutted trees respawn on server restart and exp. restarts only every 12 hours.

find an chainsaw and an gascan and you will have fun for many hours  :D

• Like 1

Only action i have ever seen with the chainsaw was when a friend cut down a freshie in Kamyshovo police station because he was chasing me with a gardenhoe.

Quite a few months back.

Edited by anderswhk

kMqvBGz.jpg

Chased this guy for like 20 minutes, he ran out of ammo I guess.  Chainsaw seems to be 2-3 hits without gas.  Way better than the sword =P

This guy got me but I at least got a good hit on him.

5sbm1tw.jpg

Might as well share my thoughts on it as an item:

It's rad obviously but I have to wonder about the drawbacks.  You have to carry it in your hands, which makes doing simple things like using binocs etc a bit of a pain.  I'm not really opposed to it being that way as it makes it interesting, and once vehicles have inventory then transporting it/using a car won't be as big of a deal but at the same time the clunkiness of dropping it/picking it up makes simple tasks overly cumbersome imo.

It also seems to run out of gas very quickly.  It chops trees down in a single click, which is very powerful if harvesting wood becomes a big deal (base building?).  But I think I'd rather see a longer gas time, and some sort of animation for chopping trees instead of what it is now.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

The logistics of carrying both a chainsaw and its necessary refueling partner, the jerry can, seriously hamper its pimp-factor.

The logistics of carrying both a chainsaw and its necessary refueling partner, the jerry can, seriously hamper its pimp-factor.

A water bottle works just fine, as long as you don't get it mixed up with your actual water-bottle.  When it first came back, the chainsaw was my go-to pickup, as it would still put down the zeds quickly enough without fuel.  Now if only we could remove the chain and tape it onto the end of a lead pipe for a nice chainflail...

But I think I'd rather see a longer gas time

This.

It runs out of gas insanely too fast. The time you have to spend looking for a jerry can and filling it up before filling up the chainsaw and having to worry about where to put the two hard-to-find items is not worth the 30 seconds of "vrOOM VrooM VROOOOM"

A water bottle works just fine, as long as you don't get it mixed up with your actual water-bottle.  When it first came back, the chainsaw was my go-to pickup, as it would still put down the zeds quickly enough without fuel.  Now if only we could remove the chain and tape it onto the end of a lead pipe for a nice chainflail...

I pictured this when I first read your comment, not instinctively knowing what a chainflail was:

9j13Xyx.jpg

• Like 1

This.

It runs out of gas insanely too fast. The time you have to spend looking for a jerry can and filling it up before filling up the chainsaw and having to worry about where to put the two hard-to-find items is not worth the 30 seconds of "vrOOM VrooM VROOOOM"

Only turn on the chainsaw right before using it, it's hella easy to do by just tapping "F."

I pictured this when I first read your comment, not instinctively knowing what a chainflail was:

9j13Xyx.jpg

I'm not sure how that would work, but a chainwhip on a pipe would be fun.

I'd use the Chainsaw if the gas lasted a good 2 minutes and it could be carried over your back, but otherwise I'll stick to the sword.

speaking of chainsaws.... just the other day i didnt see anyone around, so started drinking at the water well by the church in electro, and i suddenly see this dude come up to me in the corner of my screen, taking out a chainsaw and brutally murders me before i had the chance to CANCEL ACTION and run! it seemed soon as he touched me with the chainsaw, i went unconscious. i wasn't too happy since i had a working pistol in my clothes and could have put him down. by the time i got back to my body(5-10 mins), he vanished... was so thirsty for revenge.

No gas in them, they always spawn empty. You mostly find them in garages and low garage-like sheds. I tried killing a player with one once but it was too unwieldy so I let him go.