TheHeadlessHobo

What do you think of this situation

So me and my friends were along the coast and we came across a fresh spawn, so one of my friends went to go talk to them. He gets inside the fence and turns out there are actually 2 new spawns. So he offers them food and when he's dropping it they knock him out. I killed one of them and hit the other dude a few times with my AKM. He runs in a house and closes the doors so I take this time to reload. The guy also took my friends gear so I had to be cautious. I go in and the guy is knocked out on the stairs. So I shoot at his head, oh wait DayZ fucked us over this time and I was unable to hit the dudes head and finish him, the bullets hit the stairs even though I'm clearly aiming and hitting his head but it's as if no head is there. So this guy is a total dick and actually logged and right before I could shoot his body he disappears. This pissed my friend off and ruined our night as we were just pretty annoyed how he logged like that but we managed to get his AK-74 as the dumbass didn't pick it up. But we seemed to forget it as we had loads of fun in Gmod the rest of the day. So my question is what do you think about this and would you be pretty mad if the same thing happened to you even though you could probably get most of your loot back pretty quickly.

TLDR: me and my friends meet 2 fresh spawns, friend gets knocked out while giving food, gear is taken and guy logs with it.

Solution: Have no friends that play DayZ, be sad, play alone and be so paranoid that you shoot everything that moves, die to a group of 6 fully geared guys. Repeat.

• Like 5

Solution: Have no friends that play DayZ, be sad, play alone and be so paranoid that you shoot everything that moves, die to a group of 6 fully geared guys. Repeat.

Sounds gr8

10/10 would try again

This is my playstyle. Im the guy that runs the fuck away once I hear someone. And if those fuckers yell "FRIENDLY", I'll headshot them with my winchester or unload with mp5 :3

• Like 1

Don't trust other players. If you do want to help them don't be stupid. Tell them to stay back whilst you drop it, back off and then let them pick it up. If you have someone else there have them point a gun at them. Shoot them if they try anything. Being nice to other players does in no way guarantee that they will reciprocate, so be cautious at all times.

• Like 5

I think you did the right thing, considering the situation.
DayZ takes a fuck ton of patience and hope, if you expect it to be an experience where everyone is friendly and looks out for each other, as opposed to the typical scenario of people trying to survive and taking what opportunity they can get. 

Extreme situation: Me and my older brother, well geared, ghillies, bolt rifles and MP5ks. But determinded to be reasonably friendly.
We jumped to these characters after a while of not using them, and found out we where near Electro.

We head to the small sniper hill, overlooking the city. We watch a couple of firefights happen, and note a bambie getting chased down by armed players.

We decide to move in, but are forced to hit the dirt in a front lawn in the grass behind a fence as several previously-unidentified random armed players pass by our position, mere feet away from us. 
Firefights happen, we bite the bullet, and observe with our ears.
After 5 minutes, everything seems to calm down, everyone armed seemed to have moved on.

We move to the 3 story building across from the police station. We meet a bambie on the way. We tell him we're friendly, share some food and stuff, and try to talk to him. He interacts in a friendly manner and follows us around.
As we are on the second floor, two player with matching clothing, charge up the stairs, one with an axe drawn [potentially not actually trying to kill us, but who knows]. I immediately whip out my MP5k, fire off a few shots into the roof, and take control of the situation. Not meaning any harm, but demanding the new guys to go prone and stay still. 

New twin guys lament that they are friendly, and just made a mistake, but I tell them to back off. They whine that they just want to group with someone and have fun.

My brother wants to say yes, because he was new, and he was yearning for interaction. I almost tell them no and to fuck off, but then me and my brother see a server admin message: apparently, an event is going on in some east-coast town. [i believe this was at the later stages of .55, when everyone was fucking around and having fun before the inevitable wipe, pre .57] 
So, we decide to start a bambie pilgrimage, taking everyone with us to the event. I'm still trying to tell the twins to fuck off, but my brother convinces me to let them join us. We're geared, we got it handled. We can at least trust the initial bambie we met. 

We get a block away, and get fired on from on the hill. my brother makes it into a building before going unconscious. The twins have scattered, only the trusty first bambie ducked in there with us.

I put my gun away, and start bandaging my brother.
Trustworthy bambie jogs toward me, raises fists, and I black out. 
My point is: really don't trust anyone. You don't have to be an ass, or unsocial, just never let your guard down. It's the goddamn apocalypse. it's DayZ.

The bad part, is that it takes a lot of practice and negative experience to learn how to deal with situations. The good part, is that you will eventually figure it out, and that the world is as dangerous as it realistically should be. Your experience will mean so SO much more in a game like this, than with most other games.

Me and my brother, once again geared up, and a bit wiser, decide to hit the coast.
We came across a bambie earlier, who said someone in Kamy in a yellow backpack said he was friendly, but then shot him in the face with a .22
We decided to play bounty hunter, and hunt down the person for him.

So our goal was to question everyone about the person fitting the description.

On the road, talking over skype, we came up with the idea to talk like exaggerated stereotypical "goon" bad guys for the fun of it.

We looted through Kamy, while keeping our mics on and bantering with each other in exaggerated goon talk, hoping a passing player would hear it, and not get too scared, as we where obviously having fun with the role. i.e. Us talking with growly "bad guy goon" voices:
"Hehe, let's visit the pig station, and see if any littl' piggies decided to hang out!"
"HEHEHEHEH!"
"HEHHEHHE!"
"Yeah! I killed the last piggy cop that I met! No one tells me how probation works NOW." 
"HEHEHEHEHE!"

"HEHEHEHEHEH!"

My brother searched a house, and found some bambie hiding in the corner. I came in with him, and we trapped him in the corner, mocking the player in a lame Adem West-type Batman goon fashion. Making seriously retarded deprecating jokes with our gravely voices at the bambie's expense, and making our characters throw their heads back and wiggle all over the place as we manically laughed over really really bad jokes. [we seriously had to mute the mics between several sentences, because we both were coughing our asses off trying to do the growly voices]
But the player never caught on, and just acted defiant and dared us to kill him and talked shit. He must have had too many shitty situation.
This attitude continues on for the next several players, and our throats wore out doing "goon" voices, so it eventually evolved into us just being generally friendly again. it was hilarious for us while it lasted.  

• Like 2

Don't trust other players. If you do want to help them don't be stupid. Tell them to stay back whilst you drop it, back off and then let them pick it up. If you have someone else there have them point a gun at them. Shoot them if they try anything. Being nice to other players does in no way guarantee that they will reciprocate, so be cautious at all times.

This is so true. Also, if it seems like a fresh spawn is killing time talking to you - a lot of long pauses like he is on TS with others - then get out of there. They are setting you up.

Edited by OldManRiver
  • Like 1

This is so true. Also, if it seems like a fresh spawn is killing time talking to you - a lot of long pauses like he is on TS with others - then get out of there. They are setting you up.

Yeah, be very weary when people insist on you going to a particular place too.

Doing things on your terms---if you are in a position to assert them---and killing those who do not comply even in the smallest way, is unfortunately the only way you are going to get around people being deceitful douchebags. 

• Like 1

So me and my friends were along the coast and we came across a fresh spawn, so one of my friends went to go talk to them. He gets inside the fence and turns out there are actually 2 new spawns. So he offers them food and when he's dropping it they knock him out. I killed one of them and hit the other dude a few times with my AKM. He runs in a house and closes the doors so I take this time to reload. The guy also took my friends gear so I had to be cautious. I go in and the guy is knocked out on the stairs. So I shoot at his head, oh wait DayZ fucked us over this time and I was unable to hit the dudes head and finish him, the bullets hit the stairs even though I'm clearly aiming and hitting his head but it's as if no head is there. So this guy is a total dick and actually logged and right before I could shoot his body he disappears. This pissed my friend off and ruined our night as we were just pretty annoyed how he logged like that but we managed to get his AK-74 as the dumbass didn't pick it up. But we seemed to forget it as we had loads of fun in Gmod the rest of the day. So my question is what do you think about this and would you be pretty mad if the same thing happened to you even though you could probably get most of your loot back pretty quickly.

TLDR: me and my friends meet 2 fresh spawns, friend gets knocked out while giving food, gear is taken and guy logs with it.

If I'm a fresh spawn the first thing I do is pick up a rock from the beach and try and knock out the next person I see. It might ruin your night if you're fully geared, but it makes my evening a lot better.

Also, if it seems like a fresh spawn is killing time talking to you - a lot of long pauses like he is on TS with others - then get out of there. They are setting you up.

Not everyone on TS or Skype is setting you up or otherwise nefarious, but you very much DO have to take what OldManRiver is saying and apply it anyway.

If you notices some acting like this, immediately put your trust level to 0%, until you can ascertain his true intentions. Or, just get out of there, especially if you have something to lose. 

• Like 1

KIlling everyone is your safest bet if you want to stay alive. Bambis have nothing to lose or scouts usually.

Not everyone on TS or Skype is setting you up or otherwise nefarious, but you very much DO have to take what OldManRiver is saying and apply it anyway.

If you notices some acting like this, immediately put your trust level to 0%, until you can ascertain his true intentions. Or, just get out of there, especially if you have something to lose. 

Very true.  I once got executed while foolishly drinking at the well south of Krasnostav Airfield, after having picked up a hitchhiker and given him food.  I told him I was on the way to pick up a friend, who was looting on a different server at the time, and would be happy to help out any way I could.  He was hiding a longhorn, and apparently wasn't interested in trading it for my decked 101.  He apparently did not understand that if he had just asked, I would have given him anything he wanted, including the truck.  I had two more of everything he took back at my camp. I got all distracted by the warm-and-fuzzies I get from helping someone out; I should have known he was up to no good wearing that motorcycle helmet.

I sure wish more people would poilitely declare their intent to rob you, and see if you would just fork it over; especially on updates where persistence works for weeks.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

Very true.  I once got executed while foolishly drinking at the well south of Krasnostav Airfield, after having picked up a hitchhiker and given him food.  I told him I was on the way to pick up a friend, who was looting on a different server at the time, and would be happy to help out any way I could.  He was hiding a longhorn, and apparently wasn't interested in trading it for my decked 101.  He apparently did not understand that if he had just asked, I would have given him anything he wanted, including the truck.  I had two more of everything he took back at my camp. I got all distracted by the warm-and-fuzzies I get from helping someone out; I should have known he was up to no good wearing that motorcycle helmet.

I sure wish more people would poilitely declare thier intent to rob you, and see if you would just fork it over; especially on updates where persistence works for weeks.

Probably the most memorable experience I've ever had in my time on the SA was running into the SKY clan and being taken prisoner upon entering a building, robbed but not killed. (well roleplayed folks if any of your crew read the forums btw).

For the record, robberies often end in a murder in DayZ. There are exceptions, of course. But if someone tries to rob you, you should probably make a hail mary play and go for the head.

For the record, robberies often end in a murder in DayZ. There are exceptions, of course. But if someone tries to rob you, you should probably make a hail mary play and go for the head.

It wasn't so for the longest time. But it's become more prevalent now, sadly.

And in .57, while I have had some great friendly experiences on certain servers, and nice mutual firefights, there are also a ton of douches out and about as well. 

I spawned in fresh near Svet, found another player [armed] while he was climbing a ladder to a roof I was on.

He was friendly and said we should group up.

I heard him speaking over some side chat to other people. [i judgmentally mentioned that over chat, as my mic wasn't working at the time, because I had plugged it in loosely.]

But I was a bambie and had nothing to lose, and he remained friendly. So we headed down and out. 

We met another player, armed, soon after.

He was friendly at first, but as soon as I joking mentioned that the other player was using an outside chat [i said something like "lol don't trust him, he's talking to people on Skype!"], he whipped out his gun and murdered him. He then screamed at me "Don't fucking MOVE." And then shot my bambie-self in the face one second after, as I stood completely still in confused shock.

Fucking paranoid schizophrenics.

-Long story short: Players are rather unpredictable in .57-

Very recent experience: My fully geared brother died along the coast from sliding down a steep hill into a tree. Spawned in Berenzino.

I run along the coast and look for his gear at the location, can't find it.

In the meantime, he dies from a group of bipolar serial killers he ran into, and spawns in Berenzino again. Goes into stealth mode until I get there to protect him.

I'm coming up the coast, going north, and see three people in the distance down the road.

I have a ghillie hood, ghillie wrap, an SKS, and an MP5K.

I don't want trouble, so I cut to the beach.

They see me and jump into the trees to the west, and watch me. 

I cut off point of view with the first two behind a house, but one of them catches up to me, gun on back, and tries to talk me into stopping.

Fuck no I ain't stopping for three geared people! Half the stuff I have on me, my brother gave me!

He keeps following me and yelling at me, but my MP5K is in my hand, so I'm technically faster than him for a bit, and make some ground between us.

One of his buddies stop at the house a bit behind us now, and starts firing at me.  

He hits me once, but I cut off line of site with a bunch of bushes that have shown up, appropriately.

I get into Solnichniy, and completely lose them by taking shortcuts and jumping over fences through backyard and through houses as fast as possible.

I get out, get to gas station. And on the hill behind it, I see the frontman just now exit town.

I run to the silos, enter through the back, and just manage to get into the farther section with the catwalks.

I start climbing the ladder, just as the frontman passes by the side cargo door.

I get up on the catwalk, and watch from the glass windows on the north side as they run off north, oblivious to me.

That was stupid.

One of them sees me in the window, and they all turn around and head back.

I race back to the stairs on the east side, and just barely make it up the ladder to the roof section, before turning around and throwing suppressing fire on the first guy coming up the stairs. 

I coyly yell: "Leave me alone, faggots! :D "

[i know that's a mean word to use. I only meant it in a playful shit-talking way, and I was pretty scared at that point]

I expect to hear, "Fuck you bitch, your shit is ours! :D " Or something similarly fitting and playful."

But, apparently I've run into Jockey Jersey Shore party wanna-bes, because these guys sounded seriously, seriously bitter and douche. 

"Umm, NO. You're the faggot! Can't even listen to simple fucking commands." one of them said.

[Oh, because of course: I'm going to stop, with all my gear, most of it belonging to someone else, and LET myself be at the whims of three random geared guys.]

I spray another burst of rounds at the speaker as he peeks up the stairs. I think I might have hit him once, I'm not sure.

It's 3v1, and my hands are shaking: I can only hold out for so long up here, and I know it. And apparently, I could lose all mine, and my brother's shit, to three obnoxious bitter shit-bags.

"Go ahead... waste your ammo bro!" one of them yells. 

[*sigh* I heard that so, SO many times playing DayZ.

It's 3v1, I thought I was supposed to be the one yelling out inane typical shit-talk in a nervous situation]

I yelled back, "Hey man, I got plenty of it! That's what you want, ain't it?, that's why you chased my ass all the way up here, right?"

[i DID have a decent amount of ammo, I could have held out for a good while with just suppression fire]

Then the server reset.

I didn't give them the satisfaction of logging back in to finish the fight.

Long story short: I ran into serious douchebags in .57, and got very lucky

Edited by Deadjuice