Sign in to follow this  
Osprey98

Best Vests

What is the best vest to go with? what are the protection values of each? I think the press vest offers the greatest protection as I withstood many bullets from a pm73 to the chest a point blank one time and survived but was subsequently sniped. another time I survived 10 m4 shots to the back with this thing and another time I survived a mosin shot in the chest by a hacker. the high cap offers twice as much space but is a little more bulky than the other vests. the smersh is the bulkiest and the ugliest and I hate it but it has the most space. the uk vest isn't so bulky and has an ok amount of slots but theres better options. the stab vest to me is kinda useless since I get axed mostly in the arms and legs and I don't pvp unless I have a gun.

A really cool idea would be to put tan, black, khaki and camo variants of the press vest and all vests.

what is the best vest to go with and why?

Edited by Osprey98

oh and the chest holster is another option but is not quite as viable.

Some men hunt for sport

Others hunt for food

The only thing I'm hunting for

Is an outfit that looks good

Isn't this DayZ actually? :D

• Like 6

Some men hunt for sport

Others hunt for food

The only thing I'm hunting for

Is an outfit that looks good

Isn't this DayZ actually? :D

'EY!!! Nothing wrong with looking snazzy ingame.

Not sure of the current status. Last I remember, none of the vests were better in regards to damage-taking ability. The only thing that mattered was storage space. However, this is Alpha, and values can and do get changed every week or so. I'm not sure of the current status.

I think the press vest offers the greatest protection as I withstood many bullets from a pm73 to the chest a point blank one time and survived but was subsequently sniped. another time I survived 10 m4 shots to the back with this thing and another time I survived a mosin shot in the chest by a hacker.

What you may have 'withstood' could have been desync...

For what it's worth I like the Hicap best. The SMERSH with pack is better for sheer capacity, but there is a an idea (probably just a superstition) that the Hicap offers more frontal protection.

• Like 1

Either tactical vests or plate carriers. Not sure which of the two is better, but I believe anti-stab and press vests provide less protection while high capacity and smersh provide none (at least not any more than simply an additional clothes layer).

Edited by Powerhouse

SMERSH and pack are the bomb combined with the hunter pack and the other military pack.  They just look great.

Either tactical vests or plate carriers. Not sure which of the two is better, but I believe anti-stab and press vests provide less protection while high capacity and smersh provide none (at least not any more than simply an additional clothes layer).

Pre-0.57 plate carriers provided no protection at all. Perhaps that's changed.

Does anyone have actual numbers to support any of this theorising? Or are we really just choosing our favourite blend of looks and capacity?

I thought it was all pure capacity at this point, but I don't get shot enough to know.  I tend to disengage if I don't have the drop on a person.

I typically dress as a rodeo clown in all red, white and blue, or go with a tan tactical outfit and plate carrier for the military contractor look.  I had to give up on the plate carrier though as the tan boonie hat seems to be missing from my life.  Without the proper accessories my outfits just don't feel right. 

I forgot about the plate carrier. I had a few form when they would spawn anywhere. I go all black or mostly black.

Is there any info on actual protection value of all the different vests?

Is there any info on actual protection value of all the different vests?

(little old but no one made better I think)

(little old but no one made better I think)

I was thinking about that vid, are the gaurdhouses still puking vest on stable? it'd be a good time to re-test if so.

The best vests are made from human leather.

True, but the OP is asking about 'in-game' vests, not real life.

• Like 1

Personally, it's all about capacity. Hi-cap is a good goal until SMERSH vest and attached pack are located.  Don't forget to grab that Beret o' Poodle for your noodle.

Personally, it's all about capacity. Hi-cap is a good goal until SMERSH vest and attached pack are located.  Don't forget to grab that Beret o' Poodle for your noodle.

Don't forget the pretty "pink" 10 slot crafted vest you can make as a byproduct of getting some delicious Berizino beef steaks. 

Don't forget the pretty "pink" 10 slot crafted vest you can make as a byproduct of getting some delicious Berizino beef steaks. 

Maybe once I figure out how to dye stuff good, and persistence is fixed.  For the time, I'll continue pretending that the leather vest doesn't exist.  It almost makes me physically ill looking at my guy wearing one of those; like if somebody spotted it and shot me, they'd be doing me a favor.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

Maybe once I figure out how to dye stuff good, and persistence is fixed.  For the time, I'll continue pretending that the leather vest doesn't exist.  It almost makes me physically ill looking at my guy wearing one of those; like if somebody spotted it and shot me, they'd be doing me a favor.

It is ugly, It kept my recently deceased (ladder accident) guy out of hotzones and provided the hoarding space he needed.

I do look forward to the dye system working too or even being able to spray paint the damn thing.