DemonGroover

Day Z Urban Legends

Has anyone heard the chanting priests of Lopatino? Scared the living crap out of me' date=' I can tell you.

My story goes : one night, I was hanging around Lopatino waiting for some friends to come pick me up in the UAZ.

As I sat there outside the church, I watched a pair of zombie priests spawn and begin wandering around. It was a quiet night at home, so I was completely immersed in the game, and watching this pair of undead holy men walking around was a profoundly unnerving experience. With thoughts of how they deserved better dancing in my head, I used a flare to lure one of the shamblers to a large tree, then quietly shot him the forhead, and buried his body beneath the branches. As I buried the body, the bell of the Lopatino church rang. I didn't think anything of it, having heard the bells in Cherno ringing from time to time, so got ready to draw the second priest out of his path and beneath the burying tree. Again, I lured the priest to the tree, and shot him in the forehead. This time the bell rang twice as I approached to bury him. A little creepy, but alright, right? I received word over TS that my friends were approaching, and that I should meet them east of town, near some garages. As I passed through the churchyard and close to the building, I began to hear something. Thinking it was coming over TS, I derided my friend over his choice of driving music, to which I got a confused reply. I back-tracked to where I heard it the strongest, and began to listen. It sounded like chanting. Never having heard an Orthodox Christian chant before, I was still in no confusion as to what I was hearing. I stood there, listening to it, and suddenly the bell began to toll. I snapped out of it and went to meet my friends, but the experience stayed with me for the rest of the night. I haven't told anyone about it until now, and haven't been back to Lopatino to check it out. If anyone does, let me know what it sounds like to you, will you?

[/quote']

lol yeah I remember you asking me about the weird music. if you find out more about what was going on there, be sure to let me know Kophka!

These sort of things definitely enhance the 'feel' of Day Z. The game needs more horror subtleties that though arent physically dangerous, unnerve the shit out of you.

• Like 10

I have a story of my own, and one that I saw with my very own eyes. It's not particularly weird or creepy, but it's still....a bit odd.

A buddy and I were at Stary Sobor, and I was down checking out the military tents while he was up on the hill providing overwatch. After I finished up, I met up with him up on the hill, when he noticed a survivor on the distant SW hillside. What was odd was that he was out a bit from the treeline there, just standing up there out in the open with a Winchester in hand. The weapon was lowered, and he was basically just standing there not moving. At first we thought he was one of the glitched corpses you occasionally come across that are still standing up, except they always seem to have their pistol out and they're not moving.

We watched him for a couple minutes, and the only other thing we noticed was that he was in the idle animation, where he'd slowly shift weight back and forth to different legs and move the weapon a bit. I don't know if you stand still long enough with your weapon lowered if it will do that automatically or not, never tried.

About that time we also noticed there was another survivor in the same area, a bit more to the left / more to the south of us, a good couple hundred feet away or so near where the next treeline starts. He was prone and alternating between looking down at town through his binoculars and sniper scope. We contemplated me trying to run all the way around town to try and flank them to see if they had anything worth taking while my buddy covered me, but then the guy that was prone got up and ran off over the hill into the distance, the idle survivor still just standing there.

We decided to just leave them alone. We had no idea if they were even together or not. The idea crossed our mind was that maybe he was just playing decoy or something with him just standing up there out in the open. If the sniper was paying any attention to our area, it would have worked as we wouldn't have seen it coming, having directed all our attention to the standing guy all alone.

Maybe it was his 'Mysterious Stranger?'

• Like 3

My friend and I were moving through the forests around black lake, heading up and west towards the airfield - the whole time we were making our way through the trees I would hear these footsteps behind us, my friend heard nothing and I never spotted anything moving.

I was in the lead and just as we cleared the woods I turned back to make sure my buddy was still with me and managed to take this screenshot before I hit ALT-F4.

Needless to say we have never been back.

• Like 13

My friend and I were moving through the forests around black lake' date=' heading up and west towards the airfield - the whole time we were making our way through the trees I would hear these footsteps behind us, my friend heard nothing and I never spotted anything moving.

I was in the lead and just as we cleared the woods I turned back to make sure my buddy was still with me and managed to take this screenshot before I hit ALT-F4.

[/quote']

Thanks! Now I won't be sleeping anytime soon!

I hope this is *shopped cuz if not, I might just have to quit this game haha

My friend and I were moving through the forests around black lake' date=' heading up and west towards the airfield - the whole time we were making our way through the trees I would hear these footsteps behind us, my friend heard nothing and I never spotted anything moving.

[/quote']

dude i fucking shit my pants but shame on you for DCing.

• Like 1

[/quote']

that same picture is in a differnt post on the forum with a diffrent story hehe.

I do have a strange story that happend lastnight.

Last night I decided to find a boat and head over to Drakon to see if its any good of a sniping spot since its near Elektro. After an hour searching for a boat I gave up on it since there was none to be found. I logged out for an hour or so and decided to just go somwhere else. As I logged back in, a small boat was flooting around only 100m away orso. I figured somone left it there while I was gone,filled it up with fuel and started to make my way to Drakon. On my way there i noticed that there where 5 or 6 crows flying really close to me at the middle of the ocean, I didnt think much of it and kept going.

After a good 35 minutes ( small boats are damn slow ) I made it to the island. I walked around a bit and decided it would be a good spot so I headed into the lighthouse so I could grab myself a drink. I returned moments later just too find myself uncontious and bleeding inside the lighthouse.. 30 second later I died of unknown cause.

@Disgraced

Dude, im scared right now. Where was the house you were in?

@Disgraced

Dude' date=' im scared right now. Where was the house you were in?

[/quote']

There was a green fog, but I could see the lighthouse, and the boat dock was close.

@Disgraced

Was the house a barrack or more like a small shed?

@Disgraced

Okay thanks, I'll take a look by chance. I have to record that :D

@Disgraced

Okay thanks' date=' I'll take a look by chance. I have to record that :D

[/quote']

Be careful if you go in the back room.

@Disgraced

Im still scared, dont make it worse :D Whats in the back room?

@Disgraced

Im still scared' date=' dont make it worse :D Whats in the back

Don't worry about it. It's a Herobrine thing.

[hr']

I did not edit the above post. Wtf?

I just went there and i can comfirm the dying sounds at the boathouse. the zombies instantly respawn there aswell. I tryed to head to the house further inland but in magicaly teleported me back to the boathouse when i was 30m from it.

http://kotaku.com/5923400/dude-gets-kidnapped-in-dayz-tweets-the-whole-thing?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_facebook&utm_source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Saw that after reading this thread, wondering if it's actually true.

Anyway my own urban legend is not so much creepy as strange and kind of helpful.

I was logged onto the Canada 1 server at the time. I had been running west of Berezino and got shot by a sniper with an M107. Obviously he killed me since I had no idea where he was shooting from.

So I respawned close to Elektro and figured I'd hit it up for some quick loot before I made it north. It was night and I figured my chances were pretty good for sneaking. As I made my way into the town I saw it littered with barbed wire and tank traps as usual. It got really annoying as I was attempting to loot so I made my way to the industrial sector in the hopes of finding a toolbox to remove it.

Ended up finding a dead survivor with a toolbox on the docks and began my return to the northern section. As I was nearing the Tec building I saw another survivor holding a blue chemlight. Now I've never liked the KoS mentality of this game and refuse to take part in it without issuing a friendly call. So I called out in direct voice if he was friendly. No response. I pulled out my revolver and began to aim at him and as soon as I did he looked at me and something popped up in the text chat.

Janitor: Hail Friend.

But it was all in yellow. I was taken aback at first because I wasn't used to seeing it but quickly realized it was just the command channel. I returned my focus to the man in front of me. He saw me I'm 90% sure of it, but he was only armed with a hatchet and didn't run at me so I assumed he was friendly, or at least wasn't going to try and hack me to death.

So i turned my gaze back to northern Elektro and started my return. Before I could walk forward though, I heard the sound of a toolbox or wirefencing. I looked at him again and saw him taking down a tank trap. My crosshairs glazed over him and again the same text returned to the chat field.

So I continued to the north. And began to hear footsteps behind me. I turnd and looked and there was the blue chemlight hatchet survivor again. And again the same text chat popped up.

This happened a few times more as we made our way to the firestation. A soon as we were close I saw him break off into a sprint towards the red doors. Soon after he reached them I heard the toolbox go down. And again. And again. By the time I reached there with my crawl walking he had torn down 3 sets of wire and was clearing the tower. I climbed up and grabbed an AKM and returned but found he was gone.

Thinking nothing of it i made my way back to the office to resume my original mission. But this time all the wire was gone. As I approached it I heard footsteps towards the hospital, and again saw the blue hatchet survivor. Again I accidently aimed at him and the text popped up.

He cleared out some barbed wire by the hospital and then retuned to the middle of the road and sat down. And this time a new text popped up in yellow...

Janitor: Another hard days work finished.

Shortly after this he disappeared. I assumed it was just a player the entire time with a strange sense of fun. But when he disappear there was no disconnect message. And shortly after that I checked the player list thinking he might have just aborted, but there was no Janitor on the player list.

If you were a player Janitor, you are doing God's work my friend. And everyone else may want to double think about killing survivors carrying hatchets and blue chemlights in Elektro.

• Like 20

Well, I got told these 'harmless chickens' are actually plotting to take over the world..

Obviously bs though.

• Like 1

I was sneaking into a barn to see whats behind the hay bales on ground floor at which point a player jumped out while screaming at same time....scared me shitless.Another time some guy called over to me and said to come to where he was.When I finally got behind the bush he was at he then asked me if I would get on my knees to service him and he would give me his spare Makarov in exchange.

• Like 10

There was a green fog' date=' but I could see the lighthouse, and the boat dock was close.

[/quote']

Somebody made screenshots of that - but I think you were in a church!

fog.jpg

The-Fog-poster.jpg

(Credits to John Carpenter for one of the biggest scares that last me quite a while when I first saw that movie at the age of 11 or 12...)

• Like 1