Sign in to follow this  
tristanyockell

I have not played in 6 months Is it time to start again?

Hello everyone,

I left this game in frustration many months back due to the constant crashes, glitching and fails to even load up randomly.

That is what made me quit but what I'm concerned about is what state is the game in now?   Is it more stable?   Is it still very clunky and awkward to do everything?

I noticed that the current build has persistence disabled but that they are brining it back soon.  That is a major one for me as well.

I like the gritty more realistic concept of dayz and I'm a gun nut as in I hate cheesy and unrealistic portrayal of firearms in games.

How is the melee combat and injuries system now, still ultra lame or has it improved some what?

Thanks.

Edited by Tyockell18

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm just going to fire it up this weekend and find out. But current players, I like to see what they have to say.

If you've not played in 6 months, don't expect any super drastic changes - but you will notice some things. The biggest things in my mind that you'll notice are different are:

1. Berezino has been completely redone.
  2. Some other areas have changes as well, such as the school in Elektro, guard houses sprinkled around acting as loot candy, military tents added back by one of the towns (Staroye I think?).
  3. Zombies behave much differently now (you can sneak by them, and they also attack differently, you can't just circle around them anymore), but they're still working on them and since the .57 patch there's not that many of them as they're working through some issues with them.
  4. There's a bunch of new guns.
  5. No more LRS on the Mosin, if you want something similar look to put a hunting scope on the Winchester or Blaze. Personally I've found the Winchester and hunting scope rather hard to find.
  6. Land mines and bear traps can be fun.
  7. You can carve up and eat people.

Wait for 0.58 which should be released soon. The game has quite a few problems with things not working as they should in 0.57. It is most annoying to die not because you were shitty but because the game decides that you can't bring out your gun just now or it won't fire or it just randomly drops it somewhere or its not reloaded even though you know you loaded it et etc. I've died to the falling through floors twice this week with well-geared characters. Both times in police stations. This patch is also very PVP-orientated. Guns and equipment are everywhere and since statuses are randomly working(on some servers it works fine, on others never updating) the whole survival aspect is kinda pointless.

Its still playable to a point. You can still have fun. But the fun is often punctuated by something annoying.

I'm finding it more playable now than it has been for a month or so.  As mentioned above there are still those alpha nasties hanging around but there's quite a lot of good there.

- Zombies no longer run through walls so you can lock them in/out (though they do hit you quickly)

- Loot is around and decent but there are loot-splosions all over the place so it's "too easy" at present if you know how to exploit those locations

- Good range of guns and weapons now in game

- I haven't experienced hackers badly in a while (though I'm sure they're still out there) 

Meh - load it up and player a few lives I guess.  

Welp, thanks for the responses.  Apart from the much welcomed improvements on zombie AI and them no longer walking through walls and the additional firearms, it sounds like the same old overly clunky, broken mess.

I guess I'll wait a while longer.  I have no patience for playing a game where every action you do feels like someone with slow motion parkinsons.

Edited by Tyockell18
  • Like 2

Unless you are willing to test and live with the bugs/glitches then yes.  If you are just looking to play a game thinking it's done and ready to go, no, do not come back until at the minimum, beta.

• Like 1

Welp, thanks for the responses. Apart from the much welcomed improvements on zombie AI and them no longer walking through walls and the additional firearms, it sounds like the same old overly clunky, broken mess.

I guess I'll wait a while longer. I have no patience for playing a game where every action you do feels like someone with slow motion parkinsons.

Maybe it's time to upgrade your PC.

Not yet, dude! Not yet: after around 6-8 month of break I've logged into DayZ and found:

• HORRIBLE FPS, it's like a slideshow with 5-10 FPS near town and ~10-15 FPS in wilderness.
  • Lots of new shiny DINGI (fancy stuff like weapons, clothes), but... FPS...
  • Lots of balance changes.
  • And still vehicles are super rare
  • tents seem to be malfunctioning at their will
  • no bases, no building

Soyou get tour gear, find a worthy gun and what? KoD: Electrozavodsk or CS: NWAF?

Edited by Zak_Prestor

And still vehicles are super rare

You're really really going to hate the full game then.

Not yet, dude! Not yet: after around 6-8 month of break I've logged into DayZ and found:

• HORRIBLE FPS, it's like a slideshow with 5-10 FPS near town and ~10-15 FPS in wilderness.
  • Lots of new shiny DINGI (fancy stuff like weapons, clothes), but... FPS...
  • Lots of balance changes.
  • And still vehicles are super rare
  • tents seem to be malfunctioning at their will
  • no bases, no building

Soyou get tour gear, find a worthy gun and what? KoD: Electrozavodsk or CS: NWAF?

Umm, no.

Fps is usually around 50-60 in the wilderness and around 30 in large cities. You have a decent computer with a fast cpu adn the game runs mostly on cpu so I would do soem tweaking if you get that bad fps. I get framedrops sometimes thoug but thats only for a second.

Vehicles aren't rare at all, I find a truck almost every time I play. They usually spawn in the same places all the time. It will be worse in 0.58 when you will need to find all the pieces for it.

Tents dont malfunction, persistance is turned off so they have no use right now. This seems to be fixed for 0.58

Bases will probably be a while. Simple barricading seems to be on the menu soon.

6 months has been a while I can say these things about how its gone though I don't recommend playing until the central loot economy is finished so you don't have get mad and it was broken Veryyy broken in the last couple patches. So far stuff that I've notice significantly improved or added are.....

1-zombies don't glitch the hell through walls(they still do but not as much)

2-if you played before heli crashes m4s no longer spawn in barracks and stuff now its replaced by akms,ak 74/ak 74su, and some pistol I forget which ones.

3-you can find guns in any house and magazines no more police hopping trying to get a 1911 mag or cr 527 mag.

4-9mm spawns in civilian locations now and 12 guage amd mosin ammo(aka 7.62×54mmR) rarity has increased drastically(how can you confirm log into a low pop loot all of electro you might get a 20 boxes of .308 and probably 80 rounds of extra ammo but get maybe 2-7 boxes of 12 gauge and maybe 1-9 boxes of mosin ammo this is from my experiences I literally looted of Electro and came out whith my backpack almost filled with .308 for my model 70 and 3 boxes of 12 gauge for my sawn off and 4 boxes of mosin ammo)

5- bunch of new guns like the Winchester model 70, SVD, mp 133 shotgun(currently In .57 there are three guns not spawning due to some issues in .58 exp one of the guns is spawning the ump be careful looking for it though you might get blown up by my landmine don't server hop).

6- vehicles have been added and spawn in static locations for now(check msta and staroye and dolina for a quick one and in .58 exp you will need a sparkplug and a truck battery to get it running but it has an invenTory finally and in .59 and beyond expect 3 new vehicles).

7-fixed some fps issues so you might get a fps boost soon you'll get a major one when the new engine is used hopefully.

8-bunch of reworked and new areas like a prison island and some villages in the north.

9-balota barracks and tents have been removed tents have been moved near mysykino.

10- stary so or tents back in great place to get good loot.

11-no more mosin lrs now its hunting scope and SVD and vss vintorez(the mosin LRS can come back but I think they need to have some type of attachable rail to mount it for now its pu only but its still really good)

12-recoil is still unrealistic as well as sway except maybe for those heavy guns like mosin other than that unrealistic.

13-shoes degrade over time

14- no more zombies ruining your stuff anymore(finally my riders jacket can stay beautiful)

15-tactical bacon is the new king or canned good (there should still be more types of canned goods)

16-kos is still out there so be carefull

17-some new building now enter able like the guard house which spawns mega loot in. 57 but nothing in .58

18-diseases are now in cholera is easy to get if your drinking from ponds with low blood and hard to get with normal blood.

19- many duping methods have been removed

20-zombies have been reworked and now have new sounds and attacks and more realistic soon they will have random cloths from what I believed.

21-hunting,fishing,cooking, and crafting is in and have been improved drasticly.

22-spawns are still annoying as hell but easy to get used to.

23- hackers have been almost fully eradicated don't expect to many anymore on high pops or getting killing by 80 grenades from a flying guy.

24-persistence is in but isn't working in .57 wait for .58 for it to fully function.

25-pso1 now only spawns on SVD and vss so you'll have to get an SVD or vss for a pso1 to mount on tour akm for now but there's a new kashtan scope to help out.

That's about as much as I know but I know I forgot stuff but its best you find out more stuff. Expect bugs,issues and glitches overall the game has improved well.

Edited by DaNic2553
  • Like 1

For someone who can stay away from dayz for 6 months I would say you should stay away until it's out of early access . Most people can't deal with minor frustration .