MadMcardle

DayZ Standalone - Complete noob looking to get stuck in!

Hey guys,

I am a complete noob when it comes to DayZ and to PC gaming to be honest, I am a PlayStation man usually (sorry I know console peeps are...hated lol) but I came across DayZ when looking at new games coming out for the PlayStation, and when I found out it was already out for PC I had to give it a try! I just wish I had heard about it years ago, sounds like the type of game I have been wanting for so long. Anyway I am really looking forward to getting stuck in, making some friends and hopefully helping out the community too and of course, surviving!

I think you came in at a better time than back when it first came out lol apparently it is much more playable now.

Also, keep in mind that this is all one big testing ground. Work in progress. We are testing what the devs give us so whatever is "broken" know that it is most likely being worked on at some point lol

Have fun out there, and in here! :)

Welcome, I hope you enjoy yourself in-game.

I see you have been browsing the videos for tips.

Take a look at Aggathor's WOBO videos, easy to follow and the most complete set that I know of.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice guys. I finally got my resolution sorted after about an hour just been scavenging, found a tin of beans but before I could open them I fell unconscious lol.

Sent you a friend request buddy. I lasted about 8 hours, not sure if that is good or not but I was happy with it lol, finally dehydrated badly and couldn't really see, lucky zombie got me. Definitely looking to party up now as it is pretty tough going solo.

Get ready to walk. 
A lot... 
Then get ready to walk some more... 

Then get ready to die for stupid Alpha reasons that make you angry and that are out of your control. 
And get ready to rage at buggy zombies, loot disappearing, things falling through floors, feedback not registering correctly, animations not playing correctly and a myriad of other issues

But it will all be worth it the first time you have a fully kitted character and come across some bandits. The adrenaline is like no other video game I've ever played and still leaves me with literal adrenaline shakes after tense encounters. And it will become an addiction... and soon you'll be making the regular trek from the coast to Vybor to hunt server hoppers like the rest of us.  :P

Lol thanks Nicko, I am yet to come across another player as of yet although someone did take a pot shot at me yesterday I just returned fire and fled lol but it is very exciting! Got chased through a town by a couple of zombies and didn't know what to do so I just jumped in the sea, lost my pistol but hey...I am still alive! I am geared up ok now I think, so ready for my first proper fire fight!

• Like 1

Scratch that, just logged in and my character is reset, time to scavenge again lol

Same server or a different one? You know the private vs public setup?

Scratch that, just logged in and my character is reset, time to scavenge again lol

Check the server As Eno said above you have to ensure you're logging into a public server to retain your public server toon or a private server to play your private server toon. 

It pays to mark servers you enjoy playing on as favourites so you can always locate your character again.

What Eno said, but also check where you log out. Your avatar stands around for 30 seconds(?)  after you log.  Find a save hiding place, I like woods, observer for a minute to see if you see an z's then log out. 

In the beginning I was killed logging out and a few times when I log in because I was in the middle of a town :-).

Thanks guys, it was a public server but I logged straight out, left it a few minutes and went back in and hey presto, I was back! Is there many pros/cons to private servers? Just so I know for the future.

Advantage with the private is you can have a different character (perhaps with different motives) in each private server. Pub servers will all be the same character... Pubs are more prone to ghosting and loot spawning- things you may have read about already but basically take advantage of the multiple parallel universes that exist between each public server. 

Imagine for one minute- you buy a server for your own character so you can run around at leisure in your own world... kick everyone else out when they come in and then go jump onto a busy public server to go pick on fresh spawns like a certified badass. Oh wait- even better... get all your clan buddies in so that now you have MANY certified badasses to run around and do badassery... 

Yeah... It happens. 

In private domains, you are in a single map with a single character... so you can't bounce from server to server either running away from a fight or to gather up loot from the same place 10 times...

An additional benefit to that is you tend to see fewer trolls... not as many people are geared up to the nuts...

Private shards can also be more controlled by the moderators- they can require whitelisting (application) or just be invitational if desired. They can actually lock the door- 

As you get more into it you'll be amazed at how the various game systems can be manipulated to your advantage... but I get the impression you'll get much more out of the game if you just keep doing things the good, ol' fashioned way! 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

Its certainly something I will look in to it man, so much to look forward to hey? :)

Its certainly something I will look in to it man, so much to look forward to hey? :)

I just re-read my post and it occurred to me that I kind of sound like I'm endorsing those activities... the ghosting, the server hopping... I'm definitely not. But definitely things you need to be aware of that do happen out there and also reasons why a private shard is preferable... levels out the playing field for people. 

With that said, since the last character wipe I only have a single public character in action... so public isn't ALL that bad!

Its cool bud, I will learn the hard way I am sure lol. Thanks for all the tips etc though, appreciate it!

Thanks guys, it was a public server but I logged straight out, left it a few minutes and went back in and hey presto, I was back! Is there many pros/cons to private servers? Just so I know for the future.

Community. You tend to get lots of the same people playing on the same private servers so you can make friends/enemies etc. The private server I play on has quite a good community. There's a number of players I've met randomly in game that I'm now friends with, and a number where we both basically KOS as soon as we realize who we're dealing with.