Sign in to follow this  
nl

been away long time - some questions

Hi all, I've been away from the game for about 7 months. I recently purchased a SSD harddisc and wondered if running Dayz on it would make a difference so I installed Days again and started playing. The SSD is faster in loading textures but overall performance in the sense of FPS is still the same.

To be honest I would have expected the game to have progressed more than it seems to have in those past months.

FPS performance is still very poor in towns and cities, same as before really. There still has been no optimization?

Nice to see many items added but I hoped the overall performance would have improved.

I have some questions I hope someone is willing to answer:

-I see no experimental servers listed, are they down at the moment?

-There are no more 1st person only servers? So only one caracter on stable and one on exp.?

-Very few animals, in a few hours play I only saw one cow. I'm looking for a boar but none was to be found in the usual places I could find them.

-no more batteries anywhere?

-no more hunter backpacks?

-there are way less zombies now and their "detection zone" seems to have gotten much smaller, is this correct?

Answering to you first question, no there wont be no optimisations before beta release(hopefully they eventyall fix performance). Devs are now working on adding weird stuff.

I'm sorry, why did you think an SSD would somehow improve frame-rate?  :huh: It's been a known fact since long before you left that optimization wouldn't be talking place until the beta, at the earliest.

Anyway, welcome... back?  :rolleyes:

Hi all, I've been away from the game for about 7 months. I recently purchased a SSD harddisc and wondered if running Dayz on it would make a difference so I installed Days again and started playing. The SSD is faster in loading textures but overall performance in the sense of FPS is still the same.

To be honest I would have expected the game to have progressed more than it seems to have in those past months.

FPS performance is still very poor in towns and cities, same as before really. There still has been no optimization?

Nice to see many items added but I hoped the overall performance would have improved.

I have some questions I hope someone is willing to answer:

-I see no experimental servers listed, are they down at the moment?

-There are no more 1st person only servers? So only one caracter on stable and one on exp.?

-Very few animals, in a few hours play I only saw one cow. I'm looking for a boar but none was to be found in the usual places I could find them.

-no more batteries anywhere?

-no more hunter backpacks?

-there are way less zombies now and their "detection zone" seems to have gotten much smaller, is this correct?

-FPS wise, the game is still not optimized, they work on server lag, thats why you will not find any zombies (maybe just a few).

-currently no new exp version available, only stable .57

-i find multiple 1st person servers, no problem here. The vast majority are 3rd person, as always.

-There are definetely animals there, but it seems they reduced the spawn rate even more. We will have to see.

-hunter backbacks are in, found mine in the first deer stand i checked. (=lucky), batteries seem to be very rare.

So, .57 in a nutshell: A lot of loot (food, water, guns, ammo), slower degradation of thirst and hunger, no zombies

CLE still doesn't work properly, a lot of people love .57 for the loots galore, easy pvp. The survival factor is at zero points currently.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, why did you think an SSD would somehow improve frame-rate?  :huh: It's been a known fact since long before you left that optimization wouldn't be talking place until the beta, at the earliest.

Anyway, welcome... back?  :rolleyes:

Well I thought that if the disc would be faster the CPU would need less resources to access it thus freeing more resources for other parts of the game, CPU being the bottleneck. Maybe it was dumb reasoning.

• Like 1

-FPS wise, the game is still not optimized, they work on server lag, thats why you will not find any zombies (maybe just a few).

-currently no new exp version available, only stable .57

-i find multiple 1st person servers, no problem here. The vast majority are 3rd person, as always.

-There are definetely animals there, but it seems they reduced the spawn rate even more. We will have to see.

-hunter backbacks are in, found mine in the first deer stand i checked. (=lucky), batteries seem to be very rare.

So, .57 in a nutshell: A lot of loot (food, water, guns, ammo), slower degradation of thirst and hunger, no zombies

CLE still doesn't work properly, a lot of people love .57 for the loots galore, easy pvp. The survival factor is at zero points currently.

Thanks for your answer.

Strange, I only see servers listed with 1st/3rd person. I have no filters applied except <100ms

Well I thought that if the disc would be faster the CPU would need less resources to access it thus freeing more resources for other parts of the game, CPU being the bottleneck. Maybe it was dumb reasoning.

I get better performance with an SSD.

For now, as stated by SMoss in his performance thread, SSD's can improve game performance.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224710-performance-issues/

• Like 3

SSD is only going to give you a performance boost when loading. It's not going to help you much while playing the game, that's going to be more based on your other PC innards, in rough order of importance in this un-optimized alpha state of the game - 1) CPU, 2) GPU.

As for your questions:

• I see no experimental servers listed, are they down at the moment? [DBC] They're there, perhaps you're filtering them out on accident? If you've been away for a while up your max player pop from 40 to something higher, say 100. There's no active 100 person servers, but stable goes up to 50 now (used to be 40) and experimental I believe has 60 at times.
  • There are no more 1st person only servers? So only one caracter on stable and one on exp.? [DBC] They're there, albeit they're less popular than 3pp.
  • Very few animals, in a few hours play I only saw one cow. I'm looking for a boar but none was to be found in the usual places I could find them. [DBC] With the .57 release which hit about a week ago they're scarce, but that will change eventually. Each release we see more or less animals/zeds, depending on what they've tweaked with the renderer or server side performance. I'd expect this to keep changing every few weeks as they continue to work on it.
  • no more batteries anywhere? [DBC] Starting a week ago with the .57 release, you spawn with a rag and a light stick rather than a flashlight and battery. Batteries are now rather hard to come by. Again, I'm sure that will change in the coming weeks.
  • no more hunter backpacks? [DBC] With .57 landing a week ago a lot changed with the loot tables, and persistence is gone for the time being. You'll noticed on a server reboot all of the loot is repopulated. Thus they should be out there, but they may not be where you expect to find them.
  • there are way less zombies now and their "detection zone" seems to have gotten much smaller, is this correct? [DBC] Zeds have changed majorly twice in recent months. In the last 2-3 months when the new renderer landed the zeds got an update so the behave far differently, you can sneak around them now, and they attack differently. With .57 there's a lot less of them, I'm unclear why but I think it had to do with some performance things that are being tuned.
  • Like 1

SSD is only going to give you a performance boost when loading. -snip-

Installing the game on an SSD will improve the loading times and FPS by a lot.

Why are you refuting this even after I confirmed it?

Until the new renderer is released, DayZ Alpha runs best from an SSD in all ways.

• Like 1

DayZ definitely runs smoother on a SSD. I even noticed a difference when I went from one SSD to two SSD's in a RAID0.

• Like 1

Yeah, SSD for any BI game is going to help. Since the map streams, it does not load like most maps. All their games benefit from a fast overclocked CPU, SSD, and high V-ram GPU. It's possible that the CPU will become less important over the GPU for DayZ 1.0 though, but we'll see. Right now there is no occlusion culling, but they are working on it. No reason to optimize anything until after.

Don't get too much into FPS, it just doesn't matter right now. It will happen, and the game will eventually run great. They do care about server optimization right now. If you want to follow development of this game, that is the meter to follow. Nothing can be implemented without server optimization.  

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 2

Installing the game on an SSD will improve the loading times and FPS by a lot.

Why are you refuting this even after I confirmed it?

Until the new renderer is released, DayZ Alpha runs best from an SSD in all ways.

I'm not refuting it - if you look at the timing of our posts I was typing my response before your response landed, we were essentially responding at the same time. As I stated, it only helps while loading. BI games must load various non-cached game contents occasionally as you move around the map, it's not like an old school zone based game where you get a "Loading, please wait...". So an SSD is going to pull that up faster of course. However if there's some other reason the game's code is going to disk that's resulting in an FPS boost from SSD I'd be shocked. Regardless, personally I would never run a PC on anything but SSD these days, I've been running it on a Crucial M4 since I built my rig which I think was in late 2013.

Just an advice: wait 7 month more if u want smoother gameplay. It´s like playing day z right after Alpha start with the same gameplay problems. The only changes u can feel is: some more buggy animals, crawling zombies (zombies AI still broken), some new gunz and clothes, more crafting options, truck vehicle, more buildings and town changes. I don´t mind the new eco system because it doesn´t feel like it´s working.

In summary: more Items added

I found my performance increased drastically after.57