Tatanko

Hunting Reference Guide for 0.57

In the north are many good places to find animals as well.

north-west from krasnostav there are boars to be found, and i think deers as well. (Near the deerstand)

Around devils castle you can find deers.and boars. again close to the deer stands.

South-east from novy sobor you can find deers, and probably boars as well. deerstands

I think the north of the map as at least as much locations where you can find animals.

Have you seen those animals there in 0.57? I know the areas you're talking about and failed to see any game, really. There was like one deer nearby Devil's Castle (where usually you could find several animals).

I remember when on one heli raid I could find 5-6 boars and deer, from Lopatino to North of Kamenka. I have yet to make a run in 0.57, but many of the usual spots (surefire places were the forest North of Kamenka, the deer stand North of Stary Sobor, the field NW of Zeleno) are gone now.

You left out cannibalism again Tatanko!  :lol:  :lol:  :beans:

Hunting Humans

Humans can be found throughout Chernarus, but due to their highly aggressive nature and actual smarts (not AI) they can be dangerous and sometimes difficult to kill. Also eating their meat may make you go crazy and render your character crying like someone who just died on the firestation stairs! This can give away your position and get you killed and it's also annoying, so best avoid eating raw human steaks. It is said that human meat tastes better after being tortured. Kinda like how foie gras works, you can force feed your prey all manner of things until they throw up, then you can put a burlap sack over their head and beat them with a blunt weapon until they die. This tenderizes the meat and ensures a quality steak as a result.

Humans can also be trapped with bear traps and land mines. Those traps are best placed in high traffic areas, such as police stations, ATC towers, the new guard buildings, and even in the middle of costal roads - bambis in search of suicide may rejoice in the opportunity to quickly die on a landmine providing you with a quick source of gear and nourishment.

• Like 3

You left out cannibalism again Tatanko!  :lol:  :lol:  :beans:

Good thing you just did a great job of covering it for me ;)

I considered including it purely for informational purposes, but humans are plentiful and predictable, there's no challenge involved :P

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

The animal spawn point in Nadezhdino is right behind the green/yellow house on the south side of town.  Seems to be a mix of pigs and chickens, mostly.  Sheep have spawned there for me a few times.  I almost always see two animals there if the town hasn't been disturbed since the last animal respawn.

I hope we can stack bones soon.

The animal spawn point in Nadezhdino is right behind the green/yellow house on the south side of town.  Seems to be a mix of pigs and chickens, mostly.  Sheep have spawned there for me a few times.  I almost always see two animals there if the town hasn't been disturbed since the last animal respawn.

Ah, yes. Similar to the yard in Msta. Last I was there two days ago, it happened to be a goat and a chicken.

As for the bones: I think you just want to start a bone collection :p

Is that you who's been leaving piles of bones at the well?

Is that you who's been leaving piles of bones at the well?

if it's on the musty server, then yes.

• Like 3

if it's on the musty server, then yes.

I've heard sheep screaming in the distance but never could find where/why. Was that you too with those rare sheep spawns?  :D

Cows can also be found in the fields surroundingMogilevka I've noticed. Going to be a frontiersman with my current character, so I'm also going to investigate talk of goats near Staroye.

Have you seen those animals there in 0.57? I know the areas you're talking about and failed to see any game, really. There was like one deer nearby Devil's Castle (where usually you could find several animals).

I remember when on one heli raid I could find 5-6 boars and deer, from Lopatino to North of Kamenka. I have yet to make a run in 0.57, but many of the usual spots (surefire places were the forest North of Kamenka, the deer stand North of Stary Sobor, the field NW of Zeleno) are gone now.

Yes, I've shot deers near devils castle in 0.57. I also shot 2 boars NW from Krasnostav.

The biggest deal is to spot them before they spot you. Because boars can run like hell if they sense you. So, when you didn't see them first, you would probably never noticed that they where there in the first place. So you might think they don't spawn there anymore.

The hunting places are still the same. And in my experience i've always seen wild animals pretty close to deer stands.

Edited by JackWalsh

The biggest deal is to spot them before they spot you. Because boars can run like hell if they sense you. So, when you didn't see them first, you would probably never noticed that they where there in the first place. So you might think they don't spawn there anymore.

The hunting places are still the same. And in my experience i've always seen wild animals pretty close to deer stands.

Yes, I noticed the behaviour you're talking about and I would approach my usual hunting grounds very carefully with a scope in my hand. And I'm still positive that many spawning points are gone, including N of Msta and W of Gvozdno. The rarity of cows (just recently I got to Mogilevka minutes after the restart and there wasn't a single one there) speaks for itself.

This is so important in 0.57, and I should have stressed it more in my guide. There seem to be fewer animals to begin with, and those that are spawning are way more prone to sensing you from a distance and running away. About the only animal that doesn't maintain a big gap between you and them is chickens, and they aren't very fast anyway so catching them is easy. Cows aren't very fast either, and in 0.57 they have this tendency to lay down in fields, so they aren't as likely to get away from you either.

Will be interesting if someday we can build a rudimentary fence and herd cattle to be slaughtered at a later time  :lol:

Will be interesting if someday we can build a rudimentary fence and herd cattle to be slaughtered at a later time  :lol:

I've always wondered how the AI would react if several people surround them. Would they stay in place? Run in circles (like they did hilariously after that one patch)?

• Like 1

Update:

at Nadezhdino, I found a chicken (S, ca 058, 109) and my first sheep (although directly in the town, at 059, 107).

I failed to find anything at the southern Kozlovka valley, however I found that my usual hunting spot there - a green household at 046, 106 spawned a goat, sheep and chicken. I think that's a better place to hunt than the '1' mark you put on your map, Tatanko.

Also, what's the deal with put a cooking pot in the fire? I'm sure I saw a yt video with that, somebody was cooking without any tripod or furnace (which doesn't even work, BTW). But when I tried to replicate, it just ruined my pot as usual, without cooking.

Also also, you asked about sardines, Tatanko - the wobo video for 0.57 says they indeed can't be prepared now.

EDIT: one snare set up in the Kozlovka valley didn't yield anything, sadly.

EDIT2: goats and sheep yield 2 tanned leather each.

Edited by Kirov
  • Like 1

Lol, a friend of mine just had this idea that we should be able to take a dump into a well so that it gets contamined. :D

• Like 1

Eh Tatanko... just re: the small pile of guts- can it not still be used as a heat pack? Seems to me you used to be able to heat them on the fire (probably in a cooking pot / pan now) and use them for heat packs. When they're fresh they're already warm also...

That was the only thing I was using them for. 

Also in the changelog I think it mentioned you could mix guts with plant material (in a barrel) and make fertilizer. I'll have to double check that one. 

Edited by ENO75

If you enjoyed the reference guide, I would love it if you took two seconds to upvote this ticket on the feedback tracker:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=25732

Perhaps if we give it some attention, the issue of not being able to craft a leather backpack out of anything except a boar pelt will be fixed :)

Hello Tatanko and thank you for the report.

This is intended state and currently we do not plan on changing it.

Regards,

Geez

So sad :-(

Update:

at Nadezhdino, I found a chicken (S, ca 058, 109) and my first sheep (although directly in the town, at 059, 107).

I failed to find anything at the southern Kozlovka valley, however I found that my usual hunting spot there - a green household at 046, 106 spawned a goat, sheep and chicken. I think that's a better place to hunt than the '1' mark you put on your map, Tatanko.

Also, what's the deal with put a cooking pot in the fire? I'm sure I saw a yt video with that, somebody was cooking without any tripod or furnace (which doesn't even work, BTW). But when I tried to replicate, it just ruined my pot as usual, without cooking.

Also also, you asked about sardines, Tatanko - the wobo video for 0.57 says they indeed can't be prepared now.

EDIT: one snare set up in the Kozlovka valley didn't yield anything, sadly.

EDIT2: goats and sheep yield 2 tanned leather each.

Thanks for the additional tips. Those numbers on the map were just intended to mark general areas of the map, not specific spots... perhaps I should have circled the area instead? I guess I didn't think about it  :|

Not sure about the cooking pot. I'm currently trying to find a tripod or pickaxe (large stones) to use it properly so I can compare boiling (water), frying (fat), and stick-roasting.

Which Wobo video do you mean? One of his "30 tips" videos? I should really pay more attention to those...

EDIT: Watched the video, he actually says sardines can't be prepped. He says it quickly along with talking about fillets, so you're forgiven for missing that :p I tried cooking them in a pot at the same time as some steaks earlier and the sardines became ruined immediately. Looks like eating them raw is the only option.

Eh Tatanko... just re: the small pile of guts- can it not still be used as a heat pack? Seems to me you used to be able to heat them on the fire (probably in a cooking pot / pan now) and use them for heat packs. When they're fresh they're already warm also...

That was the only thing I was using them for. 

Also in the changelog I think it mentioned you could mix guts with plant material (in a barrel) and make fertilizer. I'll have to double check that one. 

Guts can still be used as a heatpack, yes. To be perfectly honest, I didn't realize so many people were actually using them that way. It's a perfectly valid tactic and even kind of realistic, I just figured it was something most people didn't bother with. I'm now rethinking that based on the feedback.

As for the fertilizer: please do! I haven't come across a barrel at all in 0.57 so I can't personally confirm anything with it. I'm curious to see if it's the "pile of fertilizer" item found in the game files a little while ago.

So sad :-(

Yeah, it was a little disappointing. Oh well. Makes finding the rare boars all the more rewarding :)

Edited by Tatanko

Chenarus is a Game Hunter's paradise. With all the Hunting Stands, Hunters Huts and multitude of feed troughs scattered across the land, the only thing missing is the game itself.

In 0.57 Stable after many many hours played across multiple servers I've seen and shot 2 Boar, 1 Deer, a Pig, a Sheep and 2 very lonely Cows. This is nothing like the amount seen on previous releases

I'm sure there's a reason for the major nerf game animals have had in the spawn rates and locations. But it does however a frustrated game hunter make.

If you enjoyed the reference guide, I would love it if you took two seconds to upvote this ticket on the feedback tracker:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=25732

Perhaps if we give it some attention, the issue of not being able to craft a leather backpack out of anything except a boar pelt will be fixed :)

I up-voted it.  And am baffled that they say its the intended state.  So, presumably, for balance, they want the improvised leather pack to be difficult I suppose.  Seems odd considering some other elements in the game.

Chenarus is a Game Hunter's paradise. 

The landscape is certainly perfect for it. I'll be content when I can truly build a persistent camp to operate from (including improvised shelter) and when predator animals are introduced. Cannot wait for bears and wolves!

I up-voted it.  And am baffled that they say its the intended state.  So, presumably, for balance, they want the improvised leather pack to be difficult I suppose.  Seems odd considering some other elements in the game.

They must intend for it to be like a trophy item of sorts. "Look! I was able to find a boar, skin it, and craft a useful item from it's rare carcass." I mean, it DOES have one more slot than the leather sack ;)

• Like 1

Have anyone seen oil barrels? The wobo wideo says they don't spawn, which was then corrected with text that they do, which probably means they super rare.

Have anyone seen oil barrels? The wobo wideo says they don't spawn, which was then corrected with text that they do, which probably means they super rare.

Exactly, super rare. I never saw one in Experimental, and I have yet to see one in Stable either :(

I saw several in .57 experimental.  They were spawning at heli-crashes.  I haven't been to a heli-crash in .57 Stable ,not have I seen a barrel.  They're pretty sweet though.  Take up 4 spaces (so fit in jeans) but hold 49.  A little OP that way.  :D