Sign in to follow this  
Bororm

Sword damage worse than ever

Hx4WQdy.jpg

So I made a thread a while back about swords and their awful damage.  I was unsure how many hits at the time it took to kill some one, but I figured it was similar to the splitting axe since thats what the stats said.  I'd hit guys up to three times, and my estimation was it was likely around 5 or so.

Any ways, didn't play much of .55, now I'm back with .57.  I think we all know the loot situation, but a nice byproduct is swords are common in castles right now.  I figured, it is a good time to practice my swordsman skills, and rededicate my life to the blade.

I've been having a hard time getting encounters.  I played the patch about 13 hours over the past few days and only saw about 3-4 people.  I wasn't able to engage any of them with my sword for various reasons.  I spent a good amount of time today waiting in ambush at some spots I figured were popular (nwaf tent area, vybor base) with no luck.

Finally I got in a fight at the nwaf as pictured above.  A 2v2 against a guy with a rak and a guy with the silenced AK, that storm trooper above (my friend had also had a rak, the damage on those is terrible too) who ambushed us.  There was a lot of running around and getting shot before I managed to get close enough to try to hit him.  I died without landing a blow.

Then I got into another fight.  This time the guy shot at us, ran about 10-15m and logged out.  No idea what he was thinking, but I started wacking him.  I counted 15 hits before I just had my friend shoot him.

0MJBmxp.jpg

That's him there, the majority of my hits were to his torso, then I started hitting his head.  I was just holding my friend's extra gun btw, it is all swords for me.

It takes probably upwards of 5 hits to kill a zombie with the sword right now.

Oh and you run slower with a melee weapon out than a gun/rifle.

I don't understand this, why is it so bad.  I'm not giving up yet, but I'm really not hopeful for my next fight =P

Posted on the feedback tracker: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=25679

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 4

Hx4WQdy.jpg

So I made a thread a while back about swords and their awful damage.  I was unsure how many hits at the time it took to kill some one, but I figured it was similar to the splitting axe since thats what the stats said.  I'd hit guys up to three times, and my estimation was it was likely around 5 or so.

Don't mess with a fucking stormtrooper, you need a lightsaber, not a crappy sword !!!

Edited by Zboub le météor
  • Like 12

Don't mess with a fucking stormtrooper, you need a lightsaber, not a crappy sword !!!

Lol, true.

• Like 1

Not like he's going to hit anything even at point blank :-)

• Like 4

Jokes aside about the first picture, over 15 hits to kill a person is beyond absurd.  Anyone have any other experience with this?  Was it a fluke?

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 2

Now that .57 is loot happy I'm going to try to find a sword and give it a look. Prior to this I'd hit about 60 castles with not a single sword sighting.

Now that .57 is loot happy I'm going to try to find a sword and give it a look. Prior to this I'd hit about 60 castles with not a single sword sighting.

Check the gate houses, I find about 2 every time.  You need to open your inventory tab as the items are under the floor, but as far as I can tell they are only spawning maces and swords.

I haven't really had any luck finding them in the towers.

tried out a sword a few days ago.

it was quickly dumped because the thing when put on the back seemed very large and bright compared to the clothes i was wearing so making me much easier to spot.

I think when you sharpen a blade to repair durability it should ALSO give the weapon more damage to against ppl. If the blade is ubber dull it should be shit however if you sharpen it back to pristine or worn it should do considerably more damage against a target. Doesn't make sense for a pristine blade to be pure shit against a target unless everyone is using stab vest now.

Doesn't make sense for a pristine blade to be pure shit against a target unless everyone is using stab vest now.

It does if it's not been balanced out. I've never heard favorable performance on the sword - I'd be curious to know if anyone had stats for comparison against the various axes, etc. That doesn't change the fact that I still want one, because like Bororm seemed to indicate, it's a freaking sword!!!

It does if it's not been balanced out. I've never heard favorable performance on the sword - I'd be curious to know if anyone had stats for comparison against the various axes, etc. That doesn't change the fact that I still want one, because like Bororm seemed to indicate, it's a freaking sword!!!

well swords were primarily meant for piercing not chopping so i really think the animation should be changed to thrusting rather than just swinging it around like an axe.

I remember your previous post.

You're such a knight.

well swords were primarily meant for piercing not chopping so i really think the animation should be changed to thrusting rather than just swinging it around like an axe.

Um.... What?

These are not Rapiers we are swinging around here. The sword in the game appears to be a bit broader than some of the later swords which were designed for piercing plate with thrusting but even those were swung against lesser armored opponents(like everyone in DayZ) because they would do more damage swung than stabbing and have a solid cutting edge. 

Back on Topic, I've taken multiple Zombies out with 2 swings sometimes 3 but I think I didn't connect those times it took 3. I'm unsure about players because like Indian Jones I don't typically bring a Sword to a Gun Fight. 

• Like 3

Um.... What?

These are not Rapiers we are swinging around here. The sword in the game appears to be a bit broader than some of the later swords which were designed for piercing plate with thrusting but even those were swung against lesser armored opponents(like everyone in DayZ) because they would do more damage swung than stabbing and have a solid cutting edge. 

Back on Topic, I've taken multiple Zombies out with 2 swings sometimes 3 but I think I didn't connect those times it took 3. I'm unsure about players because like Indian Jones I don't typically bring a Sword to a Gun Fight. 

Well than the damage just needs to be upped on them than for players. Idk what to tell you other than that. Im aware not EVERY sword was meant for piercing but a majority of them were.

I think Guts from Berserk would tell you that sword > ax. And to be honest I agree, I don't see how a fire ax would do more damage than a long sword.

tumblr_nl9xa42VQE1tpfyz5o1_500.gif

Well than the damage just needs to be upped on them than for players. Idk what to tell you other than that. Im aware not EVERY sword was meant for piercing but a majority of them were.

The majority were meant for slicing or chopping with more pointed narrow swords taking precedent AFTER the occurrence of plate armor which would stop chopping from working and so puncturing through and sliding a blade into the seams became preferable. Once plate went away you can see chopping and slicing come back into fashion with things like Scottish broadswords(basketswords) and sabers. 

• Like 1

I did a little more testing on zombies and averaged 3-4 hits to kill them.  I guess 3 isn't terrible but 4 is really pushing it imo, as a comparison I think the fireaxe right now averages 2.  The sword does have the benefit of extremely fast follow up swings, if you hit.  If you miss you have a very large delay.

It is explicitly a "replica", meaning "roughly sword-shaped object sold to stupid tourists and LARP-ers". You aren't finding an actual Oakeshott Type XII in a castle ruin. This also means it will be very poorly balanced for use as a weapon (if balanced at all), made of mild steel (if made of steel at all), with no actual edge geometry.

So, if you hit someone with it, you could reasonably expect to break bones, but it isn't actually going to slice people open.

PS: for all the "sword > ax" people out there, the reason all of out fantasy protagonists have used swords has been due to a culture-wide "hard-on" for swords, and therefore, a bias against other weapons. In reality, the sword (up until the 16-1700s, when steel became cheaper and thusly, more widely available), swords were mostly used by the nobility first, and the wealthy second. In most European kingdoms, it was illegal for anyone not of the nobility to own a 'cruciform" sword (AKA knights sword, AKA the in-game sword). Most lower-class combatants carried a falchion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falchion), or an axe or mace. The last two were much cheaper than the first one, and therefore, much more available.

And even amongst the owners of swords, they were really a symbol or rank and used as a sidearm. The majority of fighting took place with spears/related weapons (halberds, voulges, billhooks, lances, etc), axes, maces/warclubs, ranged weapons, etc. Think of the sword as the modern pistol, and the spear as the modern rifle, and you get the idea.

• Like 1

It is explicitly a "replica", meaning "roughly sword-shaped object sold to stupid tourists and LARP-ers". You aren't finding an actual Oakeshott Type XII in a castle ruin. This also means it will be very poorly balanced for use as a weapon (if balanced at all), made of mild steel (if made of steel at all), with no actual edge geometry.

So, if you hit someone with it, you could reasonably expect to break bones, but it isn't actually going to slice people open.

PS: for all the "sword > ax" people out there, the reason all of out fantasy protagonists have used swords has been due to a culture-wide "hard-on" for swords, and therefore, a bias against other weapons. In reality, the sword (up until the 16-1700s, when steel became cheaper and thusly, more widely available), swords were mostly used by the nobility first, and the wealthy second. In most European kingdoms, it was illegal for anyone not of the nobility to own a 'cruciform" sword (AKA knights sword, AKA the in-game sword). Most lower-class combatants carried a falchion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falchion), or an axe or mace. The last two were much cheaper than the first one, and therefore, much more available.

And even amongst the owners of swords, they were really a symbol or rank and used as a sidearm. The majority of fighting took place with spears/related weapons (halberds, voulges, billhooks, lances, etc), axes, maces/warclubs, ranged weapons, etc. Think of the sword as the modern pistol, and the spear as the modern rifle, and you get the idea.

That's not necessarily what replica means.  There's different types of replicas (some battle ready, some decorative, some for cutting, some for practicing etc), it also says it's a "faithful" replica.  It's not unreasonable to assume it would be sharp.  Replica could simply mean it's not an original design as well.

I don't see why they would put in a purely decorative sword as we can't decorate anything with it.

WA5rxqY.jpg

(sorry the screenshot sucks!)

So any ways, I got my first real kill with it earlier.  I charged up on a guy in the sandbag bunker at the nwaf and hit him a few times, then backed out (he had an sks and shot me once).  I was with a friend, he maybe shot him a couple times too.  Eventually the guy tried to get a position and take a shot on my friend, and I ran over and killed him with a hit to the head.  He was wearing a cowboy hat.

Altogether I think I hit him about 2-3 body shots and the head shot, so maybe there's hope yet!

Edited by Bororm

Um.... What?

Being a true Brit, I own a sword at home which is a fairly small one tbh. If I hit your arm with it, and the blade is not sharp at all, it would most likely break your arm, or ribs, or leg, neck or head. Make that into a broad sword with a sharpened blade and one good hit is going to leave you absolutely fucked.

And of course it would! Designed over thousands of years to kill people, of course it should be exceptional at its job. We've all seen samurai swords cutting clothe in half.

A normal sword weighs between 2.5 - 3.5 pounds - it's not particularly heavy but all the force is in the point or the edge, compounding the damage.

Attacked a couple more guys today.  Was in the police station thing at the nwaf, with my friend overwatching sniping.  Plan was that when people check the loot on the porch I'd run out and chop them.

Wasn't really counting on three people to show up =P

They came to the porch as expected, I told my friend to shoot and as he did one ran straight in.

zhfrCfh.jpg

That's all his blood.  He fired a few rounds but apparently didn't have much ammo in his mag.  He missed me a few times as I hit him multiple times, he clicked as he was out of ammo and then bailed out the front.  I'd say I probably hit him 3-4+ times, you can see he's bleeding from what looks like 3 locations.  I missed him a bit too, like the screenshot.

They regrouped outside and I shut myself into one of the rooms.  Eventually one of them came back in.

unLILzj.jpg

I hit this guy a couple times, it was really laggy though.  I heard the "Arghh!" sound that happens when your character takes damage, and I'm pretty sure I hit his head.  Unfortunately I died, and didn't kill him though.

I think you really gotta go for headshots or you do barely any damage at all.  And against helmets they block it significantly.  The only real kill I got so far was the one I mentioned before, with a headshot against a cowboy hat.

With these guys I was trying to just press the attack and not let up.  I think probably a better technique is to try for a headshot a couple times and if you don't get it, get the fuck out and then try again.  Sticking to a guy with an automatic when the sword does so little damage doesn't end up well for obvious reasons =P

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Got in a couple more battles.

First one was against a guy with an aug and 60 round mag in a field.  Don't think I need to say more about that =P

Other was a guy at the nwaf.  Snuck up on him and missed my first swing :[  Hit him in the torso, no visible clothing damage but caused him to bleed.  Missed third swing and he ran so I ran too, not wanting a situation where he'd just turn and shoot on me.

Eventually my friend and I re-encountered him.  My friend shot him twice with a winchestor.  I ran up on him and hit him:

Kzg0PJE.jpg

Due to wonderful desync, even though I was on the side of him and he seemed to be clearly shooting at my friend and not me, he shot me in the legs and broke my legs.  He then ran up on my buddy and got him too.  He seemed really oblivious to me, I don't think he even realized he shot me in the legs or that I was there.  So I crawled over as he looted my friend.

ZWNcKV3.jpg

If only you could swing while prone...  I had to crouch to swing and so he just moved out of the way and shot me.  He seemed like a cool upbeat guy though, and was tough so whatever.

Just hit a fresh spawn 6 times.  He only bled on the 6th hit, none of his clothing got visibly ruined or even damaged.  He ran off.

I just had a guy test hitting me with it.  I asked him to do body shots but his aim was a little low, and he hit my legs.  It was consistent though, he only hit my legs.  It took 9 hits before I went unconscious/died.

Edited by Bororm

They need to buff the sword, and many other items. >.> Or we all can wait patiently til modding then it will get fixed. xD