BnZWyatt

10 FT fall = Death

jumping out of a humvee with full battle rattle has blown out people's disks in their backs. a humvee is what, 2 feet off the ground. strange things occur to the human body when you hit a hard surface with weight on.

This really sums it up. Gear, stress of combat, focusing more on not getting shot to shit than a slight jump.

At least you didn't die from running off a fucking 2 foot ledge, like one of my characters.
I only rage-quite DayZ twice, and that incident was one of the two reasons.

Besides that and the following points: Yes, they deffiantly need to fix how easily you can die or get a broken leg from small/medium heights. I think in fact, that they should give a slight leeway in that case, just to make the game a little easier.
Not like it's Halo or CoD, people aren't going to be really using vertical mobility to their advantage in a game like DayZ.

It's something that will defiantly be dealt with in the future. 

In real life, surviving a ten foot fall is almost nothing if you know what you're doing [99.8% of the time]. I used to do very amateur free running, and tuck-&-roll can save your ass from even higher falls than that. (I also was an energetic daredevil when I was younger, so I was conditioned for that kind of thing, and my experience doesn't fairly apply to others)
Edit: should add that while I was a stocky athletic kid, I never free-ran or fell from 10 feet with more than ten or twenty pounds extra on me. Would never have risked the extra weight considering I was a big kid, and doing precarious stuff that require balance, control, and strength, no matter how athletic I was. In a case like DayZ survival, I believe I could easily deal with 40+ pounds and a ten foot fall, as long as it was predetermined.

Otherwise, I'd most likely be fucked with all that extra weight. 

I believe even people that don't know what their doing, can survive a ten foot fall, if they don't do the wrong things. (people getting hurt at that height most likely fall unexpectedly, and couldn't even prepare in the most basic way for the impact, due to the situation, or were old, or not in any shape for taking a fall)

Even though the stories of people surviving so many thousand feet is interesting, but does little to prove a point. Those are incredibly lucky situations, and in most of the cases, the people still were seriously injured.

Edited by Deadjuice

jumping out of a humvee with full battle rattle has blown out people's disks in their backs. a humvee is what, 2 feet off the ground. strange things occur to the human body when you hit a hard surface with weight on.

Forgot to add the speed the vehicle was going. The extra momentum going in another direction than down can cause strange things to occur to a falling body. :)

Wait wait you are complaining about dying from a fall?  Oh you haven't experienced the Dayz hill slide death?  So you are walking down a hill and your character slides and then a mysterious force shoots you up into the air like a rocket and you die on landing.  How about the slide into rock death?  Experience that one?  So you go to climb onto a rock and instead of walking up on it your character slides into it where you die.  Or how about the just walk up to a small boulder death?  I have had that one too.  I stopped playing this game 5 months ago, never going back to it.  I bought an FNX45 Tac, my own damn ammo can, and now I just go to the range to practice for real life situations.  Dayz is not fun enough to waste your real life time with.

well, having a lot of gear, a gun and maybe even an axe strapped on your back, sure, every fall could kill you

regarding the people falling from  very high places: they hit terminal velocity after about 500 meters i think,

and at the time you come in contact with the ground you have a velocity of about 150 kilometers per hour

if the ground is soft enough, and you are the luckiest person alive, yes, you can survive that, but it depends mostly on how you land

(head = dead, side = dead, feet = borken legs for sure + a lot of internal bleeding in the waist area)

back on topic however, the high fall damage is just a remainder of the arma2 engine i guess, there some teeny tiny falls could kill you, or walking up a stair,

just make a ticket in the bugtracker and be done with it

Wait wait you are complaining about dying from a fall?  Oh you haven't experienced the Dayz hill slide death?  So you are walking down a hill and your character slides and then a mysterious force shoots you up into the air like a rocket and you die on landing.  How about the slide into rock death?  Experience that one?  So you go to climb onto a rock and instead of walking up on it your character slides into it where you die.  Or how about the just walk up to a small boulder death?  I have had that one too.  I stopped playing this game 5 months ago, never going back to it.  I bought an FNX45 Tac, my own damn ammo can, and now I just go to the range to practice for real life situations.  Dayz is not fun enough to waste your real life time with.

they fixed rocks killing you some time ago, you can sprint around on them pretty much now and can climb them like a goat
Edited by Zombo

if u stopped playing 5 months ago and will never play again why r u here?

.  Dayz is not fun enough to waste your real life time with.

If that's the case why are you wasting your time on this forum?

I watched a guy die within an hour of falling 7 feet, landing on one leg, and falling to his back. Stop your crying.

Do what I want sweetheart. Dont be so mad at the world.

Ive experienced the whole random slingshot your char through the air before. Not fun at all. If you stopped playing it and you are never going back to it then why are you wasting your time replying to a DayZ forum?

My point that I am trying to make is that it makes no sense for small falls to kill you like that when you can take multiple gunshots to the body and survive or run around the entire map nonstop and survive. 

10 feet shouldn't kill you normally unless you dive on your head.. Breaking legs should be fine.

Hmm not true, look at how many 1 story accidents happen each year with builders and roofers.

you fall the wrong way and you can die any which way. All it takes is one good fall to cause any death, or leading to death.

example 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_(accident)

https :  // en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_(accident)

example 2

[PDF]WORKER DEATHS BY FALLS A Summary of Surveillance ...

www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2000-116/pdfs/2000-116.pdf
The 8,102 deaths due to falls from elevations accounted for 10% of all ...... which is 6 feet (1.8m) or more above a lower level should be protected from falling by ...

6 feet of them 8,102 and mostly elderly, I am presuming. Construction workers add up to a massive amount. Spinal cord injuries are serious stuff.

I know my lower back was hurt badly not from falling but in the construction field. Doesn't take much, believing your godly and cant get hurt.

just some facts, so you don't believe people cant be killed.

Edited by TheSneakyDude

and landing on your feet can cause a huge shock up your spinal cord, which can cause death. Not just being crippled the rest of your life but lead to death.

If an old person can fall break hip and die, imagine if your body couldn't handle the blow to your feet. We always hear of 1 good story a year of how someone falls from 1 story or 2 and lives with no injury. We never hear of how many deaths are each year to simple falls, back, legs, head, etc.. I am sure you get the facts.

Do what I want sweetheart. Dont be so mad at the world.

Tri Tri Tripppleeee posstttt! Nobody is mad at anything?

I think there should be a significant difference between the damage taken from falling unexpectedly and the damage from a prepared fall, a planned jump. Honestly, five-foot descents are quite often entirely lethal in DayZ. It's a bit silly.

This is the issue right here. I don't know how they would code that in though - maybe a "jump down" key? You have to press it when you want to jump off something otherwise you take your chances.

You know what might work? A digital roll of the dice every time you fall with a scaling set of positive and negative outcomes based on height ranging from being perfectly fine as though nothing had happened to instant death with levels of injury in between.

Might want to fix desync first though.

If that's the case why are you wasting your time on this forum?

Because this is what I do now after logging in, playing the game a few hours, then quiting it again.  I come here to complain.  It happens every 2-3 months.  Its a vicious cycle. 

Because this is what I do now after logging in, playing the game a few hours, then quiting it again.  I come here to complain.  It happens every 2-3 months.  Its a vicious cycle. 

Let me put you out of your misery.