juanimoli

Persistence question

I've searched in the forum already but there is no answer that fits my question. Also I don't know where to put this question, maybe I'm in the wrong section. So, here is the thing: I've 2 tents placed with things inside them and some backpacks on the floor of them. My three questions are: 1) will the tents and their stuff persist after wednesday mantenance? 2) and the backpacks? 3) and things like a portable lamp but of course placed on the floor, or a cooking tripod? Thanks

1. Yes. Weekly maintenance no longer wipes persistence, except if something unusual happens, of course. So your stuff is never really safe, but it's safe enough for all intents and purposes. Be aware that private servers sometimes still perform persistence-wipes to manage lootsplosions, avoid lag, and the such.

2. Yes, though backpacks decay more rapidly than tents, and I think the things inside backpacks are not safe from decay. So backpacks are only a good storage option for a day or less, in my opinion. Mostly I just use them to hold my good stuff while I try something dangerous.

3. Yes, these will stay, but they will decay very quickly. Don't leave these around for more than a handful of hours, just in case.

• Like 1

1. Yes. Weekly maintenance no longer wipes persistence, except if something unusual happens, of course. So your stuff is never really safe, but it's safe enough for all intents and purposes. Be aware that private servers sometimes still perform persistence-wipes to manage lootsplosions, avoid lag, and the such.

2. Yes, though backpacks decay more rapidly than tents, and I think the things inside backpacks are not safe from decay. So backpacks are only a good storage option for a day or less, in my opinion. Mostly I just use them to hold my good stuff while I try something dangerous.

3. Yes, these will stay, but they will decay very quickly. Don't leave these around for more than a handful of hours, just in case.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean with 'decay'?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean with 'decay'?

It's just a slang word for "after every 1-3 restarts loot in the backpack will slowly glitch and despawn, thus slowly removing all items from your backpack after a curtain period of time".

It's just a slang word for "after every 1-3 restarts loot in the backpack will slowly glitch and despawn, thus slowly removing all items from your backpack after a curtain period of time".

And does it happen in tents too? How often? 

Thanks both of you!

I've searched in the forum already but there is no answer that fits my question. Also I don't know where to put this question, maybe I'm in the wrong section. So, here is the thing: I've 2 tents placed with things inside them and some backpacks on the floor of them. My three questions are: 1) will the tents and their stuff persist after wednesday mantenance? 2) and the backpacks? 3) and things like a portable lamp but of course placed on the floor, or a cooking tripod? Thanks

If it is not a backpack, gun, first aid kit, or a protector case, it will not survive laying on the ground for very long; put it in a backpack or inside your tent's inventory blocks.

From what I understand as long as you check your backpack it will reset the time it takes to disappear.  Just to be sure I've been picking mine up and dropping them again.  Haven't lost anything so far.

And does it happen in tents too? How often? 

Thanks both of you!

It shouldn't happen for tents, but tents are glitchy, so I wouldn't be surprised if a tent despawns but items in tents will be safe unless someone takes the item or the tent itself despawns.  

Okay, now I can leave not significant things in tents without care. Hahaha, thanks!

Anything inside tents and backpacks are safe.  They do not disappear and there is no "decay" as someone suggested.

The tent has a longer timer before it disappears than the backpack.  I don't know what either timer is, as I've never had a backpack disappear.  We have been picking up and putting down our collection of backpacks and our tent for weeks now and not only have they not been found, nothing inside has disappeared.

In fact, some of the "garbage" items we threw out that happen to be near to a few backpacks have also somehow been persistent.  There are a couple SKS, a Repeater and some bottles of water, extra junk food etc that has been there since at least Friday, laying on the ground where we put them.

Anything inside tents and backpacks are safe.  They do not disappear and there is no "decay" as someone suggested.

The tent has a longer timer before it disappears than the backpack.  I don't know what either timer is, as I've never had a backpack disappear.  We have been picking up and putting down our collection of backpacks and our tent for weeks now and not only have they not been found, nothing inside has disappeared.

In fact, some of the "garbage" items we threw out that happen to be near to a few backpacks have also somehow been persistent.  There are a couple SKS, a Repeater and some bottles of water, extra junk food etc that has been there since at least Friday, laying on the ground where we put them.

I tend to agree with this more than earlier posters. Backpacks seem to be just as persistent as tents. I haven't seen anything disappear from them yet. I have taken off vests though, and they disappear after the next reset. As far as I can tell, backpacks and tents are safe, everything else is a crapshoot.

Yesteday I had a tent in a very obscure part of the map disappear. It had nothing in it, and to get to it anyone would have had to have walked past a much more obviously placed tent which did not disappear. Sadly I had to make it disappear thereafter to replace mine, obviously... 

What I'm wondering is whether tents that don't have anything in them (as mine didn't) are more likely to decay/disappear?

Edited by Mookie

Yesteday I had a tent in a very obscure part of the map disappear. It had nothing in it, and to get to it anyone would have had to have walked past a much more obviously placed tent which did not disappear. Sadly I had to make it disappear thereafter to replace mine, obviously... 

What I'm wondering is whether tents that don't have anything in them (as mine didn't) are more likely to decay/disappear?

Empty tents are persistent and will not disappear. 

The backpack was probably stolen (in fact, that is probably what someone earlier thought was "decay" of items, just someone stealing a few things trying to go unnoticed).  Remember, you might think it a remote part of the map, but those so called remote parts are high travel areas for tent hunters.  It is also quite likely if you found a good spot, many others have as well and other servers have a camp in the exact same place.  Anyone coming by can't easily steal your tent, but throwing on a backpack is easy. 

They may even have scouted the area, taken your pack then logged off to take it over to whatever server they have their camp set up on.

Edited by Slyder73

OK,

Decay = The amount of time before an UNTOUCHED  item will disappear. 

ALL items have a decay time.

Most fruit/food and misc items have a decay time of several days.

Backpacks and tents have the longest decay time of 9-10 days completely untouched.

Guns have a slightly shorter decay time than the above.

Touching the item by dragging/manipulating/storing items/using the item WILL renew the decay time

I like the sound of this - sounds like persistence is working well enough to make it usable - good job :)

I like the sound of this - sounds like persistence is working well enough to make it usable - good job :)

Persistence was working well enough in .53, it was just a hassle picking up all your best gear on wipe-wednesdays.  I still stay away from tents, they are too damn obvious as they are; I'd like to be able to plant persistent shrubbery, or otherwise camouflage.

• Like 1

Persistence was working well enough in .53, it was just a hassle picking up all your best gear on wipe-wednesdays.  I still stay away from tents, they are too damn obvious as they are; I'd like to be able to plant persistent shrubbery, or otherwise camouflage.

We want... a shrubbery! 

• Like 1

Decay is really not an appropriate word in referring to the passing of time. Decay means to decompose or rot by bacteria or some other substance. Time doesn't decay.