Sign in to follow this  
HexPlox

DayZ Mod or Standalone?

Flying with your clan in a huge spaceship was so awesome ...

I bet it was. Just not in a zombie survival game.

• Like 1

I dont consider Epoch and Overpoch as dayz mods. No one kills zombies, or hides from them. Overwatch had more zombies, but it was mostly PvP. SA is great, but lacks "things" to do. In mod you have to search for vehicle parts and building materials. And sometimes this can keep you busy for few days.

I love SA very much, but since I dont do PvP it gets somewhat boring (giving up on CLE in .55 made it boring IMO). 

Should I get Dayz Mod or Standalone? Currently Arma 2 Combined operations is $8, so nows the time for that, but do people still play teh mod??? Ive been watching the old Frankieonpc videos and I want to play that, but do people still play it?? From what ive seen, in SA there are no vehicles, few weapons, and the towns are different to original chenaurus. Note, I just want to play vanilla Dayz , not overwatch or epoch, I currently play Arma 3 Overpoch. what do you recommend????

Ya im wondering whether to get SA or Mod. Arma 2 Complete edition is $8 this weekend, so is it worth getting. It looks like the games are kinda different, and i really like the look of the mod, but do people still play it?? Also btw what the situation on hackers for both games?

Well, the vanilla mod is still active, yes. Actually with the new update they announced that they will considering opening Official Public Hives for the vanilla mod. Now, it's been quiet some time since I personally has played the vanilla mod, but would I suggest it over DayZ SA? Yes. Any day of the week.

So overall, I would suggest DayZ Mod. If you need any help getting it set up just PM me.

Ya im wondering whether to get SA or Mod. Arma 2 Complete edition is $8 this weekend, so is it worth getting. It looks like the games are kinda different, and i really like the look of the mod, but do people still play it?? Also btw what the situation on hackers for both games?

Or if you don't have ARMA 3 yet i suggest subbing to the Breaking Point mod and theres also the new survival game 2017 coming out for it as well. But to answer your question both are good its just really a matter of what your looking for i guess.

Unlike that brutal wookie above me who kills Stormtroopers for fun, I'm more of a Standalone guy (Even though I've played the mod for since mid-late 2012). However, it's still absolutely wonderful, and I would recommend the mod any day, just not over SA. If you don't want to spend 35 bucks on SA, or are looking for something new (Er, old new) then yeah, shoot for it. 

Or if you don't have ARMA 3 yet i suggest subbing to the Breaking Point mod and theres also the new survival game 2017 coming out for it as well. But to answer your question both are good its just really a matter of what your looking for i guess.

I have arma3 and play overpoch, whats that survival game 2017

I have arma3 and play overpoch, whats that survival game 2017

Its going to be like open world Silent Hill type mutant apocalypse fun from what i understand. There making there own enemy models and everything but they are taking LOTS of time to make sure the game comes out smooth.

http://2017mod.com/

Its going to be one of those games with heavy crafting i think to involved with the survival element as well.

Its going to be like open world Silent Hill type mutant apocalypse fun from what i understand. There making there own enemy models and everything but they are taking LOTS of time to make sure the game comes out smooth.

http://2017mod.com/

Its going to be one of those games with heavy crafting i think to involved with the survival element as well.

Looks cool... but back to dayz, im looking for Arma 2, just are there hackers and do people acutally still play it?

Looks cool... but back to dayz, im looking for Arma 2, just are there hackers and do people acutally still play it?

Yes there are hackers but not as much as maybe standalone right now and there are dedicated ppl who still play the mod with plenty of high populated servers available.

i would research and look at both titles i think they both have there own strengths and weaknesses just depends on what kind of experience your looking for the best thing about the mod is all the different maps and versions of the mod though some don't exist anymore. i would make your own decision that way your not pissed if one of them isn't for you so to speak.

So Dayz Aftermath is still kicking? Haven't played since beta.

I have 500 hours in the MOD and almost 900 in Standalone. I played Vanilla Epoch and Opoch for the MOD. I like the Standalone by far much better. Mabey because i feel less is more with it. Not to many weapons as an example and you need actual Bullets instead of finding a case of full magazines like in the MOD. I would get the standalone. Plus they have Teddy Bears :)

• Like 1

I'm a mod player more so than a SA player. Don't get me wrong I have clocked up about 500 hours on stand alone but I mainly play the mod. (3000 + hours since it move to steam who knows how many more prior ).

DayZ mod began as what the Standalone is now. A zombie apocalypse sandbox game set across a monumental sized map with strange interactions with other survivors. The whole key of the game was to survive as long as you could. Great concept.

It eventually turned into a PVP arena where the law of the land is banditry and everyone kills everyone else to take their stuff and dither their own supply stash and chances of survival.

Since then it has sprouted many variations of the mod. You have

Epoch: set some time after the initial outbreak. People are beginning to form clans and create makeshift shelter. People begin trading and economy is being re-established. This mod introduces base building and missions with supplies tavailable to those who complete them. Still bandits and marauders roam the countryside.

Origins: original mod was on a new map called Taviana. Set right in the thick of it. You can't just survive you are meant to discover where this zombie infection came from. Find patient zero.

Overwatch: this mod adds many new weapons and vehicles to the game. To be honest this mod was and still is a all out PVP war zone.

Overpoch: this is 2 mods running together Epoch and Overwatch adding the building and extra weapons running together. This is one of the more popular ones right now along with the original mod also know as DayZ vanilla and Origins.

Overpochins: this adds 3 very popular mods together. Epoch, Overwatch and origins. Providing a large amount of new weapons vehicles and add map areas and map expansion.

Many of the other mods are variations of these such as set on different maps etc. The interaction between players in nowhere near the way it use to be back when DayZ vanilla ( the original ) first dropped. KOS is the normal way of things now unless you find a PVE server. There are updates but they are slow to roll out. However it is very stable. Don't get me wrong it has a few bugs but in contrast to the Standalone it has a good deal more stability. Servers have administration tools and a antihack avilable so the tools are there to prevent hackers.

Standalone is just what it says. It's the original DayZ but as it's own standalone game. Its based on the ideals that the original game had.

It's still in development and always being updated with new features. Plenty of player interaction and strange encounters. However because it's still in development it has a few bugs. When something gets fixed something else breaks. It is however a lot of fun and has many features that the mod does not. It really has become it's own standalone game and when it does eventually finish will be a great game. However the bugs and changes can be quite aggrovating. Also as no solid Administration tools or anti hack is available yet it has it's fair share of hackers and nothing can be done about them except to report them.

If you want to try the mod you need Arma 2 combined operations ( this is arma 2 and the arma 2 operation arrowhead expansion) you will need to run both these games once at least. You can launch dayz basic from steam. For any other mod You will also need a program such as dayz commander or dayz launcher to download your mods, these are free.

Standalone you only need to purchase it from steam. Download it and you can begin playing.

I meant to say and I'm just going to add. If you want to get some insight as to what each look like and to get a sense of them you should check out the following youtubers.

MOD:

FankieonPCin1080p

SadaPlays ( his group and psysyndicates had a all out war across 5 videos. It was great watching it all unfold from different perspectives and FrankieonPC showed up for some of it too)

Psysyndicate

Devildoggamer

RhinoCrunch

(Many of these have moved onto the Arma 3 mods now but you can find a large back catalog of their Dayz Mod content )

Standalone

FrankieonPCin1080p (again)

MrMoon

Sacriel

RhinoCrunch (again.. Actually I really enjoyed his wolfpack series )

Commanderpixel

Edited by Pegasus177

Now? or once SA is finished? ... Right now the mod is definitely more feature complete and has a functional zombie/crafting/loot spawning system in place.  In the end the standalone will have FAR more features and a much much better system for zombies and loot, but that is not the case right now as it is a work in progress.  Not really fair to compare the 2 apples to apples as they are in way different points in development BUT I would have to say I have more fun in the mod right at the moment (especially since zombies have been temporarily removed in SA)

Edited by SaveMeJebus