Sign in to follow this  
FlimFlamm

AUTOGYROS in DayZ?

Auro-Gyros? In DayZ?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see Auto-gyros in DayZ?

• I absolutely love Auto-gyros; Yes!
    • I think Auto-gyros stink; Nope!
    • I don't know if King Westley would approve; Maybe!

AUTOGYROS!

You might be sitting there asking yourself "what the heck this Gyro thing is supposed to be?". Isn't it some sort of meat and pita food stuffs? Well no, not quite. Put simply, the autogyro is the most majestic and magnanimous aircraft to ever have graced the skies!

Let's have a Look!

Now you probably confused as to what you have just had the privelage of witnessing. "Is it a plane? Is it a helicopter?". Ah, here we are, I've found something!

You might be thinking "How the devil do unpowered rotors keep you in the air!!!!!". This uncertainty is sure to cause you great anguish, therefore it has been arranged that we might enlighten ourselves to this incredibly new and exciting method of flight:

"Well that explains a great deal, but these machines seem big and complicated", you might say...

I must admit that up to this point my resources have been very slightly outdated, in order to address this I have acquired what I believe represents a more up to date and exciting window into this enjoyable new sport:

Isn't it wonderful? These gasoline powered minimalistic machines represent the most accessible route to flight for men of limited means. I think autogyros are the future of flying!

"Just how easy is it to construct an auto gyro?" you might ask, well let's talk to this genius here who was so innovative that his pilot's seat doubles as a gasoline tank!

So, how easy is it?

Woah! Forgive this man his new age insensitivities! Verily he does good work, and so the good book says we should judge him by his fruits!

These autogyros are so effective that even the most top secret governmental agencies use them to protect us on a day to day basis. Observe!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All joking and historical roleplay aside, autogyros are literally the cheapeast and easiest method of powered flight. Perhaps constructing a modern ultralight fixed wing could compare in terms of difficulty, but really all you need to get going in making a gyro is some rotors and an engine.

They consume regular gasoline unlike helicopters and most planes. They are highly manuverable and highly safe. Relative to their size their have great lifting capabilities. They can land and take off in very short distances, making them ideal for landing in fields. They can also glide silently with their front or back propeller turned off, making them even more ideal for making landings without every zombie and survivor in the world being made aware of your location.

Please share your thoughts about the implementation of autogyros in DayZ. I think they are the most genuine, authentic, and realistic aircraft possible for DayZ, so if you would like to see them please show your support to let the devs know!

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 2

Here are some videos demonstrating and explaining the more modern recreational gyros that I think would fit perfectly into DayZ. (Will add more)

Here is an older gyro being flown and taxi'd through a narrow forest path.

Here is a more modern, two seater gyro

Here one of the pioneers of the modern autogyro describes  why he loves them:

Here is an extremely ghetto autogyro hobbled together by a Chinese farmer. Quite inspiring!

Here is a video of an autogyro doing high wind takeoffs. Gyros love wind because they are extremely stable and turbulance resistant and more wind means free lift!

Here is yet another great video which goes into the history, details and specifics of gyros. There is just something so satisfying about these older videos, and this one is very on point:

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

when i read "gyros" i had different things in mind....

But does it need easier ways to get around?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now that would be good,mmmmm.

Well it spins :P

Kusa47.jpg

Edited by PlasticAssasin8
  • Like 4

one of the worst things i ve ever seen seriously...autogyros????????????? are you kidding me ??? 

when i read "gyros" i had different things in mind....

So my opening joke really hit the mark huh? :)

• Like 1

one of the worst things i ve ever seen

seriously...autogyros????????????? are you kidding me ??? 

Give me one good reason why they are "the worst things".

You cannot give me one single reason because they are more feasible than any other possible aircraft for DayZ. They also made frequent appearances in various DayZ mods.

4-gyro1s.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't say they're the most feasible, but should be an option eventually.

Things such as government or civilian transport, and farming aerial vehicles should be more common than an entertainment product.

-Helicopters like the Russian Mi-18 or KA-60 should be found in Military areas,

-Airplanes like the Aeroshot or Cessna should be found around Civilian airfields or even in a farmer's garage.

-Aircraft like police or news helicopters should be more common than the gyrocopter.

The aircraft you're suggesting seems to be more of a man toy than it does a legitimate vehicle. Not sure why or how a Chernarussian Farmer who's country just recently suffered a civil war would get their hands on an entertainment vehicle like this.

I'm down for being able to build them, but a pre-built, painted, trademarked consumer version built by some company just doesn't make much sense.

Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 2

I'm down for being able to build them, but a pre-built, painted, trademarked consumer version built by some company just doesn't make much sense.

Being able to build them is the ideal implementation of autogyros as finding factory made ones would be difficult. The good thing about autogyros is tht if you do want to build an aircraft, this is the cheapest way to do it that I know of except for maybe some ultralights, which are not as good as an autogyro.

It's also not just about what would be most common, it's also about what would be maintainable, repairable, constructable, etc...

Things such as government or civilian transport, and farming aerial vehicles should be more common than an entertainment product.

-Airplanes like the Aeroshot or Cessna should be found around Civilian airfields or even in a farmer's garage.

-Aircraft like police or news helicopters should be more common than the gyrocopter.

The aircraft you're suggesting seems to be more of a man toy than it does a legitimate vehicle. Not sure why or how a Chernarussian Farmer who's country just recently suffered a civil war would get their hands on an entertainment vehicle like this.

Ageed, but its not ARMA 3 5

Edited by PlasticAssasin8

Far Cry 4 made me love these things, and they're usually not too demanding to build or maintain, although it'd take some time (as it should.) They're also, unsurprisingly, far easier to fly than larger helicopters, so the whole "DayZ survivors would never be able to fly because muh immersion and they're just (my subjective idea of) regular survivors" argument you see on other threads doesn't really apply here.  (Although the actual commonality of suitable parts to build such a thing can be brought to question, it's certainly a possible DIY project, and with Chernarus being pretty industrialized and all you'd most certainly have enough to work with scattered about.)

Building one of these should be no simple task and I'd still like to see a good assortment of larger, pre-built aircraft that require heavy maintenance and more parts to repair but can do a lot more than a gyro* can. (*not the sandwich, because nothing can do more than a sandwich can.)

+1 from me for sure.

• Like 1

In a zombie apocalypse an aytogyro becomes more than just a toy, it becomes a relatively silent and ultimatlely cheap method of travel and reconaissance. The minimalism and versatility makes autogyros the most feasible aircraft I know of. My hope is that we eventually get the ability to construct makeshift vehicles, and the autogyro would be among them in 1-2 seater options.

The main reason I am suggesting this aircraft is because it is a reasonable project for suvors in an apocalypse area. Things like Mi model helis and An-2 bi planes are going to be very hard to maintain and to fuel. Around 1/3 out of all players do not want any aircraft at all in DayZ. The idea of having a 1-2 man autogyro being the entry-level candidate for aircraft means that all the survivors who have their 'authenticity' funny bone struck at the idea of functional helicopters and planes wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on in argument against them.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see more kinds of aircraft and I am not against larger helis being discoverable, I just think that instead of have 1000's helis on the map to make them accessible people should be forced to construct their own entry level aircraft to initially get airborne.

Vehicle rarity is something that is required to ensure difficulty, which everyone pretty much unanimously wants except the whiny idiots. If there are only a few rare aircraft on a map then they become extremely contested. This happens even more so with aircraft and they become hoardeed and stashed away at all times. This leads to a massive flooding of spawned vehicles by servers in order to create vehicle accessibility. This flood of vehicles destroys vehicle rarity and ruins the DayZ experience. It was the first major development and evolution of the vanilla mod; servers had to jack vehicle numbers because they were too inaccessible.

It was not until the mods that allowed for vehicle construction or vehicle purchasing that the vehicle access/ vehicle rarity dilemma was solved. Devs need to imbue, at least lightly, the vehicle construction aspect into the vanilla standalone, else-wise the game is going to suffer from 'fun issues' of vehicles either being too rare, and hence unaccessible, or too common and the game not difficult enough because of it.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Far Cry 4 made me love these things, and they're usually not too demanding to build or maintain, although it'd take some time (as it should.) They're also, unsurprisingly, far easier to fly than larger helicopters, so the whole "DayZ survivors would never be able to fly because muh immersion and they're just (my subjective idea of) regular survivors" argument you see on other threads doesn't really apply here.  (Although the actual commonality of suitable parts to build such a thing can be brought to question, it's certainly a possible DIY project, and with Chernarus being pretty industrialized and all you'd most certainly have enough to work with scattered about.)

Building one of these should be no simple task and I'd still like to see a good assortment of larger, pre-built aircraft that require heavy maintenance and more parts to repair but can do a lot more than a gyro* can. (*not the sandwich, because nothing can do more than a sandwich can.)

+1 from me for sure.

I fell in love with the gyro after I decided to master it on a DayZ mod. I could glide around silently so that nobody would know when I was landing, and take off from just about any hill or field available.

Flying it at first was difficult because I did not understand how it worked, but once I understood it's capabilities it was my number one vehicle (besides the armed CAMEL ww1 bi plane for obvious reasons) for travel.

I am of the exact same opinion when it comes to aircraft availability. I think we sould have the ability to construct (at great difficulty) dinky aircraft like the autogyro instead of being forced to compete with everyone for the precious few large aircraft that will also be out there.

Just in case anyone is confused, I'm not suggesting that autogyros straight out of the 1930's be made available, I'm suggesting that modern ultralight autogyros be made constructable in order to address the whole vehicle rarity/difficulty versus accessibility issue.

This is the type of autogyro that I am suggesting be implemented:

• Like 1

I like the idea of being able to construct one , but I think getting the parts together should take a few days of playing (maybe a few hours a day) but besides the rarity of parts , when you have all the parts and a toolbox together , it should take little over 35 -40 minutes to construct the whole thing ... Obviously you can cancel current action whenever you want so if some one is coming towards you you can be ready , but I want this task to be daunting so that not everyone and their brother has one . It should be a huge task to make one so it deters everyone from having one and that way it would be a great reward finishing one . A few setbacks should have a random chance of occurring though:

•Rotor blades could become loose and essentially drop you out of the air if you use badly damaged or damaged parts

•gas tanks condition determines how fast gas is used

• if it's your first few times making a gyro , a number of things during constructing it could break saying something like: "your hammer has broken"

All these things would balance the gameplay of it making it not a hot ticket item with everyone , but only to those who are already close to having all the parts after days of random scavenging . We need chernarus to fly , help us make this dream a reality !

Edited by Grapefruit kush

Hello there

if it's good enough for Max then its good enough for me.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

I like the idea of being able to construct one , but I think getting the parts together should take a few days of playing (maybe a few hours a day) but besides the rarity of parts , when you have all the parts and a toolbox together , it should take little over 35 -40 minutes to construct the whole thing ... Obviously you can cancel current action whenever you want so if some one is coming towards you you can be ready , but I want this task to be daunting so that not everyone and their brother has one . It should be a huge task to make one so it deters everyone from having one and that way it would be a great reward finishing one . A few setbacks should have a random chance of occurring though:

•Rotor blades could become loose and essentially drop you out of the air if you use badly damaged or damaged parts

•gas tanks condition determines how fast gas is used

• if it's your first few times making a gyro , a number of things during constructing it could break saying something like: "your hammer has broken"

All these things would balance the gameplay of it making it not a hot ticket item with everyone , but only to those who are already close to having all the parts after days of random scavenging . We need chernarus to fly , help us make this dream a reality !

I have another suggestion thread where I describe a system for modular constructable vehicles.

One of the main aspects of the system are various ways to put in place an upper limit of constructed vehicles per map, and to ensure that the process of construction is highly difficult from the get go.

Engines are the first feature that limits vehicle construction and impacts difficulty. Only a certain number of engines can spawn per server which can be based off of a server side/global economy. Engines will also be big and require a special mechanic to move around, like a wheelbarrow perhaps. This way finding an engine will take time, moving it around will take work, and it will be impossible to transfer from server to server.

Having a wide plethora of tools with a complicated step by step assembly process, having large parts like rotors, engines, chassis, etc, be limited in number, difficult to move around, and non transferable to other servers, will all work together to create a very difficult to pull off project.

I had originally intended to make a modular aircraft thread to go along with my modular vehicles thread but envisioning a thoroughly sound, interesting, and semi-realistic modular aircraft system is proving to be exceedingly difficult. By introducing the autogyro in a thread of it's own, I can have something to reference when I do go ahead and make one.

I am thinking that the only plausibly constructable aircraft for survivors would be ultralight planes and basic bi planes (building a basic bi plane would realistically be pretty damn difficult even for a well off clan), a mozzie sized heli, and various autogyros.

Building your own large helicopter (more than a one seater mozzie) is perhaps simply too difficult to include in any wannabe realistic modular aircraft system... The good thing is that real helicopters can still spawn around Chernarus as prefabs, and since they will be the best of all possible aircraft, they will be highly contested and very limited in number with no ability to construct their equal.

Edited by FlimFlamm

I am sure the anti military, realism community would be far more willing to have these things be in game instead of full blown helos.

• Like 2

Watched one video, planning to watch more, gather as much info as possible, then put in my well-informed opinion to contribute to the discussion in a constructive way. After the first video, I was thumbnail-click-baited into watching 3 videos of some braless European blonde.  So, as eloquently as I can state it, what were we talking about?

Well, I am for Autogyros only because Gyrocopter girl is for them.  I wouldn't mind something like this.  I think it could add some light-hearted fun.  Make it a project that takes man-hours to complete.  One guy could do it, though it would take more time.  Once persistence is persistant, and we can craft something like a camo-netting to hide our WIP Gyrocopter, we will be able to make a well-hidden or well-defended stash.  But I wouldnt limit the amount that spawn, like only 2 can exist per hive.  That leads to a trollable situation of hoarding things.  Just a ridiculously low spawn rate for each part spread out over a hive.  That should force interaction.

• Like 2

I am sure the anti military, realism community would be far more willing to have these things be in game instead of full blown helos.

This is one of the many reasons why the autogyro is so absolutely perfect. The single remaining hurtle I am currently having work envisioning is where we can find or how we could construct rotor blades... Once I figure that out I'm going to make a thread suggesting constructable, potentially modular, aircraft. Ultralight fixed wings and gyros, maybe their unpowered glider predecessors as well... (I am iffy about gliders)

One of the other cool things about gyros is that people who don't know what they are both hate and fear them. So the squeaker/no patience demographic among some others are probably going to steer clear of them.

Watched one video, planning to watch more, gather as much info as possible, then put in my well-informed opinion to contribute to the discussion in a constructive way. After the first video, I was thumbnail-click-baited into watching 3 videos of some braless European blonde.  So, as eloquently as I can state it, what were we talking about?

Well, I am for Autogyros only because Gyrocopter girl is for them.  I wouldn't mind something like this.  I think it could add some light-hearted fun.  Make it a project that takes man-hours to complete.  One guy could do it, though it would take more time.  Once persistence is persistant, and we can craft something like a camo-netting to hide our WIP Gyrocopter, we will be able to make a well-hidden or well-defended stash.  But I wouldnt limit the amount that spawn, like only 2 can exist per hive.  That leads to a trollable situation of hoarding things.  Just a ridiculously low spawn rate for each part spread out over a hive.  That should force interaction.

If you watch the rest of the videos in the OP, all shall be revealed. I hope my old timey theme is sufficiently titilating for you. :)

Having constructable variations of some aircraft and vehicles with an emphasis on minimalism is the perfect way to address hoarding issues without flooding the server with spawned vehicles. The beauty of modular vehicle systems is that they can supplement the existing prefab vehicle system instead of altering or changing it. Effectively it becomes pure additional content which fits in perfectly with all the other systems and mechanics of DayZ.

Working together to create vehicles would be constant pilot light and driving force of player interaction. :D

Edited by FlimFlamm

A man recently protested corruption in congress by committing an act of civil disobedience. He landed his Autogyro on the lawn of capitol hill!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78TsMfKbfF8

Here is the Fox news aftermath, apparantly some fox news reporters advocated that he should have been shot down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AgGnC8Bvs

Quite funny, but also quite serious as the man faces up to three years according to one source.

Give me one good reason why they are "the worst things".

You cannot give me one single reason because they are more feasible than any other possible aircraft for DayZ. They also made frequent appearances in various DayZ mods.

4-gyro1s.jpg

Hmm yeah but have you flown one in the mods? I was really excited about them, but they are terrible to fly in the mods and need almost the same runway as a small plane. I also got shot at during takeoff quite a lot, because it takes too long to start them. I think that might have been a problem of the mods though, because irl they are almost as good as helicopters, aren't they? (short landing and takeoff fairly quickly)

I suggested in another thread to use parachutes (which you can find at airfields then) and a 2-stroke engine on the back. Whether this could all be constructed from, e.g. canoe paddles (rotor), rope (wiring) and a chainsaw (engine) is uncertain. But with this paraglider and backpack, you would be very mobile and could stash it away somewhere, instead of leaving it out in the open. In the mods you could also lock vehicles (I found tons of autogyros there, but usually locked), which I don't think will be a standalone feature.

Hmm yeah but have you flown one in the mods? I was really excited about them, but they are terrible to fly in the mods and need almost the same runway as a small plane. I also got shot at during takeoff quite a lot, because it takes too long to start them. I think that might have been a problem of the mods though, because irl they are almost as good as helicopters, aren't they? (short landing and takeoff fairly quickly)

I've flown them quite a bit on the mods and in general their handling was fairly realistic, except for the rotor visually ceasing to spin when the engine was off and you were gliding.

Take off distance depends on a whole lot of things. The main thing is something called the 'pre-rotation' of the rotors while the gyro is still on the ground. In the old days, people would get the rotos started by hand and then the forward motion would get them going even faster for take off. Later aurogyros had build in prerotation mechanisms that could get their rotors going very fast and greatly reduce the takeoff distance by a hand crank or a device which temporarily connects it to the engine. Some odler models even use essentially rocket tips on the ends of their rotors which release pressurised air to get them spinning and for emergencies in the air. Some of the older models in the hayday of the gyro had hydraulic jumping mechanisms that would launch them up and forward a bit and could do actual vertical takeoffs. They just couldn't hover.

In the gyro that we might be able to build as survivors, we would be lucky if we could rig a hand crank for prerotation. In the real world, if a gyro is facing into the wind then the rotors can basically start on their own. Taking off into the wind drastically reduces the take off distance, and since wind is a feature that I think is planned, this could come into effect.

It also depends greatly on the strength of the engine. Stronger engines will enable way better take off times but wont necessarily impact top speed very drastically. In the end different gyros have different characteristics. If you want to compare the mod gyro of that picture to real life, here is the model it is based on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis_WA-116_Agile

I suggested in another thread to use parachutes (which you can find at airfields then) and a 2-stroke engine on the back. Whether this could all be constructed from, e.g. canoe paddles (rotor), rope (wiring) and a chainsaw (engine) is uncertain. But with this paraglider and backpack, you would be very mobile and could stash it away somewhere, instead of leaving it out in the open. In the mods you could also lock vehicles (I found tons of autogyros there, but usually locked), which I don't think will be a standalone feature.

While I prefer the safety, comfort, and utility of the autogyro, I must admit it's a pretty bad ass method of flight.