Sign in to follow this  
Mental Burner

DayZ 0.55 has given the sentence "the coast is clear" a true meaning

This post is not about me complaining about the latest update (0.55) in itself, it is more of a question of "why a game which is striving for realism is getting away from realism"? 

I know it is in alpha stage still and I also like the thinking behind the 0.55 update! I like that it is harder to find loot in the cities, I like the idea about that every step you take also matters in the game, it is ALL about surviving with a limited amount of resources at your disposal and once I am lucky to find a can of food I have noticed that I smile every time!

But lets also be honest here... Dayz has also become an apple tree picking simulator 2015(!) at the same time it turned into a non logic puzzle and bellow I will point out why:

1. When you spawn at the coast you have two options:

- Head inland and try your luck, because there will be a 97% chance you will not find any cans of food anyway near the coast and you will only have like 30 minutes to find a source of food until you die of starvation (!?)

- Stay near the coast at the beginning and search for an apple tree in a town/city, before you head inland. This will make sure you get rid of the hunger status and lets you endure the travel into the next town/city without dying of starvation on your journey to the next town, but you have to spend like 30+ minutes in order to collect enough and you most probably get cold/sick during the time.

(Note that this process will be repeated within each town/city you get into until you find some tools + seeds, + water source etc in order to plant vegetables or finding cans of food...)

2. Once you have been able to staying alive, making your way inland, collecting some tools, guns, etc and are ready to go for real... Then you are only going to be faced with unreal problems like:

- Creating a fireplace = no problem, except that it can only be lightened with either a matchbox (which is almost impossible to find) or a flare (which are rare too). What ever happened to the old school stick-to-stick method with the cost of energy or even a primitive form of firestarter, flint stone, fire-steel, 9V battery shortcut, or using a magnifying glass on a sunny day? ( I have tried them all in real life with success)

- Once an animal has been killed and you have managed to collect some meat from it + guts + managed to get a fireplace up and running, then you will only find out that you need a cooking pot or frying pan in order to cook it!?( I have searched for those for 3 days now) Why not only put the meat on a stick and hold it over the fire until it is ready to eat?

The cooking mechanics needs to get better balanced and Dayz should also follow the rule: "You can survive weeks without food, but only a few days without water", which should be "tranZlated" into "you can survive DayZ without food but only hours without water"...

Right now it is the opposite, since it is extremely easy to find water but you usually end up starving to death once every hour because of the the lack of proper gears in order to cook your food, unless you find yourself an apple tree, you tree hugers ^^

• Like 4

But lets also be honest here... Dayz has also become an apple tree picking simulator 2015(!) at the same time it turned into a non logic puzzle and bellow I will point out why:

I have yet to pick an apple from a tree in the three characters I have played on in the past four days. Each of my life's, I was energized, hydrated and healthy/healing. Food is scarce but it isn't rare enough to starve to death. At one point I actually had so much food that I had to drop some to make space for other stuff. One of my characters was KoSed by someone fully geared in Guglovo, one was beat to death from a zombie (the zombie was obviously Mike Tyson) and the other was also beat to death, from zombies that I didn't even see. (lag kill). So I don't see why people are complaining about it being hard to survive. Honestly, it's easy! (imho) You need to start checking small villages north. Most of them are unlooted and you can find enough to survive off of for at least a few hours if you check every house.

EDIT: Don't forget to check the out houses! They spawn a lot of stuff.

Edited by MadWookie
  • Like 4

Dayz, so easy even a wookie can do it.  photo-thumb-163693.jpg?_r=1388516741

Has a nice ring to it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Dayz, so easy even a wookie can do it.  photo-thumb-163693.jpg?_r=1388516741

Hahahaha, nice.

I have yet to pick an apple from a tree in the three characters I have played on in the past four days. Each of my life's, I was energized, hydrated and healthy/healing. Food is scarce but it isn't rare enough to starve to death. At one point I actually had so much food that I had to drop some to make space for other stuff. One of my characters was KoSed by someone fully geared in Guglovo, one was beat to death from a zombie (the zombie was obviously Mike Tyson) and the other was also beat to death, from zombies that I didn't even see. (lag kill). So I don't see why people are complaining about it being hard to survive. Honestly, it's easy! (imho) You need to start checking small villages north. Most of them are unlooted and you can find enough to survive off of for at least a few hours if you check every house.

you need to survive long enough to get north. i don't know what servers you're on (public or private?) but i play several private servers and they are empty. my public char who actually has good gear is parked until things aren't as messed up so maybe the public servers are okay?

my new spawn guys never have clothes or backpacks and can only carry 4 apples, although i get to almost starving while just picking the damn things. so the game has become, find apples, run to next town, find more apples, run to next town, find more apples....its a joke.

people need to start listening that many people are having trouble enjoying the game because as it is now for many servers, things are wayyyyyy out of whack.

i know i'm not an expert. but i've played long enough and can manage the zombies just fine (since 0.55 i have not been killed by one yet, thanks to them not spotting/tailing you from miles away and i stealth well in enough in towns to never be spotted). but my chars never have enough to eat because there is no food and i get tired of sitting at a tree for the 1-2 hours a day i get to play in hopes of finding an apple every 15-20 attempts.

• Like 1

From my limited experience in this patch it seems to be that by simply going to the smaller towns and looting in previously useless buildings you will find enough to survive for a while.

I spawned near Svet on my last (and current) character and after little under an hour am fully healthy/hydrated/energized with a blaze, 30+ rounds for it, several boxes of magnum ammo, a backpack, press vest, canteen, two packs of rice and enough gear to start farming and cooking food.

It's hard, in fact the hardest thing initially was finding enough rags, but I am impressed with this patch. Far more so than most before it.

• Like 2

Why not only put the meat on a stick and hold it over the fire until it is ready to eat?

This mechanic has been announced, Just wait a patch or two.

Roasting food on stick is in development for a while. I'm sure that you will like the result as it also requires to hold the stick above fire

you need to survive long enough to get north. i don't know what servers you're on (public or private?) but i play several private servers and they are empty. my public char who actually has good gear is parked until things aren't as messed up so maybe the public servers are okay?

my new spawn guys never have clothes or backpacks and can only carry 4 apples, although i get to almost starving while just picking the damn things. so the game has become, find apples, run to next town, find more apples, run to next town, find more apples....its a joke.

people need to start listening that many people are having trouble enjoying the game because as it is now for many servers, things are wayyyyyy out of whack.

i know i'm not an expert. but i've played long enough and can manage the zombies just fine (since 0.55 i have not been killed by one yet, thanks to them not spotting/tailing you from miles away and i stealth well in enough in towns to never be spotted). but my chars never have enough to eat because there is no food and i get tired of sitting at a tree for the 1-2 hours a day i get to play in hopes of finding an apple every 15-20 attempts.

I play on a private server too , it's "bone dry" as well it seems , but honestly I haven't had to pick apples except for one occasion (some areas seem to respawn loot while others don't) ... The point is don't just assume "there's no loot here so I have to pick apples" try jogging (not sprinting) to the nearest inland town and don't panic when you start to get hungrier, try and hold off apple picking until you've walked inland at least two towns with no success as it is a waste of time doing it right off the bat believe it or not ....

Also loot the weirdest things you can think of (outhouses, offbeat houses and broken vehicles) and you will find plenty of little canned goods and survival materials, but don't spend more than 15 mins in each town or else you will be dead by the third town for sure if you don't find food ....

To OP : Cooking on a stick is announced already , more alternatives to making fire has been heavily talked about and I expect a number of new fire making methods given the input from the devs already that they wanted more options to start fires . Also if you don't know already you can make an "oven fireplace" by adding small rocks you find on the beach to a regular fireplace , you can cook steaks in there without a pot or pan !

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1

To OP : Cooking on a stick is announced already , more alternatives to making fire has been heavily talked about and I expect a number of new fire making methods given the input from the devs already that they wanted more options to start fires . Also if you don't know already you can make an "oven fireplace" by adding small rocks you find on the beach to a regular fireplace , you can cook steaks in there without a pot or pan !

Wait is that true about the fireplace? I've always used them with a pot or pan thinking that it was a substitute for the cooking tripod.

I actually worry a little about stick cooking as I'm afraid if you make this too easy, people will never have a reason to get food poisoning anymore.

You can survive 7-10 days without food, and 3-4 days without water.

I agree with quite a few things here, and its good that you point them out. Maybe, they will be implemented one day. If not, Im sure a modder will make it reality.

Wait is that true about the fireplace? I've always used them with a pot or pan thinking that it was a substitute for the cooking tripod.

I actually worry a little about stick cooking as I'm afraid if you make this too easy, people will never have a reason to get food poisoning anymore.

Well when the stone furnace fireplace was added the devs said it was an alternative to cooking pots , but I honestly haven't tried cooking on one without a pot in a long time so it could be broken in this patch :/ regardless there are more ways to cook being planned , like the stick thing but if stone ovens really don't cook any meat correctly that would definitely be a glitch , because what's an oven for if you still need to use a pot !

Well when the stone furnace fireplace was added the devs said it was an alternative to cooking pots , but I honestly haven't tried cooking on one without a pot in a long time so it could be broken in this patch :/ regardless there are more ways to cook being planned , like the stick thing but if stone ovens really don't cook any meat correctly that would definitely be a glitch , because what's an oven for if you still need to use a pot !

Well, like I said, it means you can separate the pot from the fire without using a tripod, so you're not damaging the pot. However maybe you don't need a pot with one, I don't think I ever tried, I'll try later to cook just with a stone oven.

You can survive 7-10 days without food, and 3-4 days without water. I agree with quite a few things here, and its good that you point them out. Maybe, they will be implemented one day. If not, Im sure a modder will make it reality.

This doesn't mean what you think it means. Your character in DayZ is unlikely to be just sitting in a room staring at the wall for days on end (if you did, you could actually survive significantly longer without food). As a sprinting, running, hopping, zombie-killing little tornado of calorie exhaustion you wouldn't make it nearly so long without food. With the average exertion of a DayZ character you would essentially become worthless pretty quick without more calorie intake. Because being utterly exhausted isn't very well represented in a game, you die instead and partly that's fine because that's probably exactly what you'd do eventually.

Play on accelerated time servers if you can, I've found this weekend that they really help make you feel that the metabolism rate isn't too dramatically fast.

Edited by Ebrim

I think its the best patch so far. Only the no-pants Elektro TDM broomstick crowd is moaning which is a good sign the game is heading in the right direction.

I think its the best patch so far. Only the no-pants Elektro TDM broomstick crowd is moaning which is a good sign the game is heading in the right direction.

Yup because regular players who try to enjoy aspects of the game besides fruit gathering MUST be kos cod players... wide brush there, chum.

Dayz, so easy even a wookie can do it.  

I would think Wookies would be particularly adept at survival, actually! Have you ever seen their homewold of Kashyyyk?

Yup because regular players who try to enjoy aspects of the game besides fruit gathering MUST be kos cod players... wide brush there, chum.

Well, I had no problems gearing up ( besides matches ), finding enough food and I only picked 2 apples just when I spawned before I headed north. You just seem to fail to adapt the new situation and I guess for most people its hard to navigate since they never had to leave coast before. They probably prefer to whine over the current patch instead of finding the new loot spots. I killed 2 players still running to the 3 broken crash sites that sit in the same spot since days ( thanks for your stuffz ).

Start wearing pants and lay down the broomstick dude.

Well, I had no problems gearing up ( besides matches ), finding enough food and I only picked 2 apples just when I spawned before I headed north. You just seem to fail to adapt the new situation and I guess for most people its hard to navigate since they never had to leave coast before. They probably prefer to whine over the current patch instead of finding the new loot spots. I killed 2 players still running to the 3 broken crash sites that sit in the same spot since days ( thanks for your stuffz ).

Start wearing pants and lay down the broomstick dude.

Ive never stayed near the coast. I have always moved inland since ive started playing this game, sticking to the small towns and the woods. I also never did pvp i try to avoid human contact since ive been kos'd almost every time ive met someone.

It just seems now everything is looted. Im not going to crash sites and mil bases im checking every house and shed on outskirt towns and farms and still empty. And getting starved while moving further and further north means all i do is eat apples until i get to another empty town. I guess my guy will adapt to eat books and hard hats until i get to the top of the map where all the stuff is.. or do like everyone and start hunting people and eating them and hope they have some stuff on them, but that requires a gun and ammo which i have yet to find on 4 of 5 guys im playing.

Again, i realize this is alpha and in development, im just relaying my experience.

The upgraded fire place still requires a pot, at least it did in the stream I watched yesterday evening.

i havn't had any issues surviving at all i have had a lot of fun with this update kinda had to adjust how i play but its been really fun.

I where looking in a lot of houses along the coast (while I was a newspawn) and nothing! 

I made it inland and I am geared up again after finding some loot + tent, in outhouses especially, and I have hunted some wild animals too. I have learned now how to survive in 0.55. But still, I have found maybe 5 cans in total after 12 hours with this character.

No problem since I live of the land instead and once you reach this stage the game gets much more fun then it was before.

P.S. Chewie, is that you?!

• Like 1

Come on! How do you think humans cooked their food from the very beginning after the humans mastered the art of making fire? I bet they first put it on a stick and held it over the fire in order to not burn their fingers while the meat was cooking  :).

I'm not worried that the game would be too easy only because you can cook meat on a stick. The hard part should be to

1. Kill a wild animal

2. Making a fire

The hard part should not be to cook it while the above two points has been fulfilled.

Hmm, never thought about the oven thing. I will try it out for sure, since there are no cooking pots or frying pans ANYWHERE. That is the ONLY thing missing now  :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nope, cooking pot is still required, even for the oven.

Edited by Mental Burner

Hmm, never thought about the oven thing. I will try it out for sure, since there are no cooking pots or frying pans ANYWHERE. That is the ONLY thing missing now  :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nope, cooking pot is still required, even for the oven.

Yeah I had tried it too and guess I posted elsewhere that it doesn't work. :(

The devs have said they're working on a "cook on a stick" functionality so we'll see.