mrbeaneater

Sleep Deprevation

I thought of this while playing Fallout:NV, on the hardcore setting the three main things you keep track of is Hunger, Hydration, and Sleep. I think this would be a cool survival element, maybe after being alive for a couple days your character becomes tired affecting stamina, weapon sway, etc. You would have to find a safe place to laid down and rest, maybe even blacking out the screen as a way of closing your eyes.

The only thing im not sure of is how long would you have to sleep in order to become rested because im sure anything more then an hour would be annoying. But anyway, what is do you guys think?

• Like 1

I thought of this while playing Fallout:NV, on the hardcore setting the three main things you keep track of is Hunger, Hydration, and Sleep. I think this would be a cool survival element, maybe after being alive for a couple days your character becomes tired affecting stamina, weapon sway, etc. You would have to find a safe place to laid down and rest, maybe even blacking out the screen as a way of closing your eyes.

The only thing im not sure of is how long would you have to sleep in order to become rested because im sure anything more then an hour would be annoying. But anyway, what is do you guys think?

haha dude even an 5 mins will be annoying :)

there is absolutly no fun watching a black screen :)

• Like 1

we need some type of rest thing, we arent machines that can run 24/7.

Rest is fine. Sitting down for a minute after a run to catch your breath is good. I'm not interested in staring at a black screen for five minutes, however. I could go make a cup of tea, but that leaves me completely defenceless. No sleep.

New Vegas had a wait function. 8 hours' sleep was condensed into 8 seconds. I can assure you you wouldn't think the mechanic was so fun if you had to wait 5 minutes. Having said that, I did enjoy hardcore mode. Also installed a mod for Fallout 3 that adds a similar system called Wanderer's Edition, so take a look at that if you're interested. Also adds a bunch more guns and armour types.

• Like 2

we need some type of rest thing, we arent machines that can run 24/7.

That's why I put my character to sleep by turning the game off when I do things like go to work, sleep in real life, eat meals, or hang out with friends. Why does there need to be mechanic in-game to replicate the act of not playing it?

Are you playing DayZ 24/7? I hope not. 

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 2

that leaves me completely defenceless. No sleep.

adds a bunch more guns and armour types.

oh, you're one of those types.

I like the idea of having to rest and sleep because it brings an opportunity for teamwork.  You and your friends set up camp and someone stands guard while you and your buddies catch sleep.  While waiting for everyone to get their beauty rest, someone could be cooking up hunted food, making rope with dried grasses or whatever, building fishing poles or whatever, traps, etc etc, it's a good opportunity to get some work done.  

Kids seem to forget there's more to this game than just picking up a gun and shooting each other...

• Like 2

Maybe not a sleep mechanic but perhaps a s tired status like our hunger and thirst.  Heck it could tie in with the energized status.  Can't get energized when tired.  

• Like 2

If you were to add a sleep requirement, I think you could do it a couple different ways:

1. If you log out without using a bed or a bedroll, you 'wake up' next time you play with a debuff that affects your stamina or movement speed that lasts until you log out in a bed again.  It shouldn't keep you from playing, just make it more difficult.  

2. Each character has a new Sleep stat that acts like a timer.  After you've been awake for X hours of game time, you get the sleepy debuff, as described above.  Any time in-game, you can take a 30-60 second nap (maybe something you can interrupt at any time) that reduces your sleepiness for however long you rest.  This short sleep gives an opportunity for dream visualizations, and could even tie in to some kind of sanity; the more people you kill or damage you take, the more paranoid and restless you get.  You could even jolt awake because of nightmares or sounds you think you hear nearby.  Alternatively, sleeping in a building you've barricaded and decorated to your liking should increase the effectiveness of your sleep.

• Like 1

We don't need a sleep mechanic, we are our own sleep mechanic.  Time is currently set to one real hour = an in game hour, so if someone's been playing for 36 hours straight they're the one going to suffer, not only physically but in game as well.  You'll be tired, you won't notice that wookiee sneaking up behind you, ect..  Yes eventually private hive/server owners will be able to tweak time settings so that you can make a day be 6 hours (and split up day and night however you want).

The sleep mechanic works in Fallout because its a single player game where you can skip ahead in time (and also has accelerated time as well), rather than an online game where you'll be starring at a black screen for an hour (or however long) while you 'sleep'.

I can agree with the other posters, I do not believe a sleep mechanic as described in OP is neccesary. If anything, logging out should count as one, though, I do not see any point in keeping a black screen on for 5 minutes or more, even if this would count as longer in game.

oh, you're one of those types.

I like the idea of having to rest and sleep because it brings an opportunity for teamwork.  You and your friends set up camp and someone stands guard while you and your buddies catch sleep.  While waiting for everyone to get their beauty rest, someone could be cooking up hunted food, making rope with dried grasses or whatever, building fishing poles or whatever, traps, etc etc, it's a good opportunity to get some work done.  

Kids seem to forget there's more to this game than just picking up a gun and shooting each other...

And you're one of those types. The type of person who takes comments out of context and likes to sit on their limping high horse.

The guns comment was related to Fallout 3. Not DayZ. If you've played Fallout 3 you'll realise that it's very combat heavy. You'll also realise that there is an extremely limited variety of weapons for such a large open world game that is combat and action-oriented, and is also heavily related to RPGs which often (not always) emphasize upgrading weapons and armour gradually rather than being limited to two or three armour types for most of the game. You'll also notice that when mentioning the Fallout 3 mod I put emphasis on the fact that it makes the game more difficult by introducing survival elements. That it adds more weapons and armour was an afterthought which you chose to pick out.

Now on to my comments about rest. If I go to sleep then I can be woken up. If I get up to make some tea then I can't wake up. If I don't get up to make some tea then I get to stare at a blank screen. Now, I'm not a game developer but I'm pretty sure that any mechanic that requires extended periods of doing literally nothing isn't conducive to engaging gameplay. I do, however, like the idea of being required to sit down for a minute or two after running any considerable distance. You can watch your surroundings, make a fire, eat, do whatever and then move on. You say that it's a good opportunity to get some work done. I think it's an even better opportunity when 'sleeping' players are actually playing the game.

So. Because I installed a mod for a different game that actually makes that game harder, and I don't believe that players should be periodically forced to sit out of the game for extended periods to satisfy a need that could be satisfied in a way that enables players to actually continue playing that makes me some pvp 'kid'. I could just as easily call you a mobile game enthusiast who loves the idea of making the player not actually play the game. Mine one gem every 24 hours OR pay £1.99 and mine 100 right away! I could make that comparison, and I would be justified in doing so - by your standards at least. I won't, though, because I'm not a dick. 

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 3

-snip-

Good points- I jumped the gun, a thousand pardons and kudos for the well articulated reply.  I just feel like requiring rest would promote team gameplay as you'd need someone to watch over you and wake you up if someone comes creeping along.

• Like 1

I just feel like requiring rest would promote team gameplay as you'd need someone to watch over you and wake you up if someone comes creeping along.

I just don't think it'd work in practice. It's a really cool idea and it'd make for some neat scenarios but I can't see it working outside of a few specific circumstances. But as I say, having to rest your player by sitting down for a little while would be really nice. It's something I do anyway in order to get my breath back, as well as to survey a nearby settlement with binoculars or a LRS, but it'd be cool if it became more ingrained with how people play the game - on the same or similar level as food and water.

And you were very gracious. I feel I may have been a little aggressive in my response ;D no worries, though.

I really like the idea of sleeping , like nettles said it's a great way to promote realism in team work:

You and a mate have just done a Cherno run on foot , you get back to your base in northern moglievka and now after a nice big rabbit stew you realize that your dead tired , you tell your buddy you're going to take a nap for 2 minutes (anything longer would be weird, maybe five maximum)...

While you're asleep some bandits slip into camp , you wake up well slept , to hear your bro scream in terrifying horror as his Hand is forced into the fire that had just cooked your meal by said bandits , they didn't expect a sleepy brother to be inside napping dayz style so as they laugh each one is capped by an sks from you , who just got the right amount of sleep and was at the right place at the right time because of wonderful sleep...

Also It would further help the stamina system , and make it more immersive ,requiring you and your friends to rest (and not just sit down) after traveling half of chernarus (I mean come on guys isn't it a bit worrying that we can run all the way across the continent and only need to sit down when we want our gun to stop shaking?). I think the rest / stamina system is too simplified now and would love to see sleep added as it would really change the way we move around places , just think of how badass it would be to have to take five minute naps while one person kept guard , it would be an intense moment for both clans and lone wolves , also sleeping in vehicles would become possible , just In case you're not near a safe house or if your passenger wants to sleep while you drive .... and of course adding sleep would be a great one up to lone wolf play styles as it makes opportunities to attack large camps Of people easier, you will have some sort of advantage If they are asleep . Also to avoid annoyance you would only have to sleep once every 6-12 hours of being logged in (and only for five minutes max), so if you only play an hour a day maybe you won't need to sleep everyday , but if you're like me when I play dayz and play for at least 4 hours a session then it would affect you more . Even being only a five minute thing every 6-8 hours would make a difference in our travels , of course the numbers could be changed according to what works best but I think you should go no longer than 12 hours without some type of tiredness setting in and no less than 6 hours of running without sleep to get the "you are tired" message .

Dayz is definitely a game changer (no pun intended) to the whole industry of video game fun ... I mean were farming crops , hunting animals , making backpacks and having freelance open world encounters with all different types of people with all different types of personalities and gear for fun , and I never thought a game could bring so much to the table that others have not and could never , that I truly believe we need to go the extra mile with dayz and not stop at just a stamina system . I want my experience to be as close to a zombie apocalypse as possible and for me that includes the dangers of having to watch each other's backs while sleeping and getting tired and having to deal with it's consequences (or having to lone wolf sleep out in the woods in a tent , so freaking terrifying and adrenaline inducing, but also a huge step towards realism and making chernarus feel less "traversable" which it is far too traversable now with our infinite stamina and no neeed to rest other than to help out your weapon sway ! ).

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1