lucianpin

Full auto weapons have nothing to do with Cernarus atmosphere, nor survival lifestyle

if they randomized where the loot spawned in the first place it would drastically decrease server hopping. i know what all the gun houses look like, just like i know what all the food houses look like. randomize WHERE the loot spawns so that i have the same chance of finding a m4 at a crash site, or finding a trumpet.

people hop areas because they know certain things are going to spawn there. would you sit and hop a military base when there is a chance of finding children's backpacks? apples?

randomize the loot so im not sure whats going to spawn in what building. this forces me to check them all, instead of running straight through cherno and only needing to hit the corner bars and gun houses.

i know for sure i wouldnt hop if i could find a m4/ak in a factory, i would run across the map checking every spawn location... not hop.

No, the answer to stop server hoppers would be to stop them logging off in high value loot areas.. For example, NWAF, any of the military bases etc.. If you try to log off there it shouldn't give you the option to abort.. If you CTRL+ALT+DELETE or whatever out of the game then it should teleport you 1km away in a random direction. Basically, if the game detects that you are logging in inside a military spawn area then it should move you 1km minimum away from that area.. Then all those server hoppers will at least have to run back in and risk getting spotted, and they won't do that because they don't want to be seen or get shot.. Obviously there will be the odd person who gets d/c and gets moved on reconnect but I would rather the odd person got punished unfairly than allow people to just server hop like they currently do to gear up...

As for the random loot, totally agree, it should be randomized in all the houses and warehouses and stuff like that, but the military spawns should remain as they are, that is what they are there for.. It would make no sense to enter a barracks and find a load of childs briefcases or pink raincoats or whatever..

another whine post about auto weapons, half one way, half the other way. Would be great if we can mod soon.

Dont you think modders?

- teach me how to mod, please!!!!

If you randomized loot people will just hop large cities for the big spawn points..

Also no one would ever go in land hardly at all.

If you can find anything you want in Cherno on a low pop then why ever leave?

The issue of server hoppers is much harder to deal with but should improve when loot respawns work for once.

You will always have them on a public hive cause many people are just too damn lazy.

Even the current timer does noting to stop them and only managed to ruin valid game play for others.

Even when the server I was just on resets I get hit with that stupid timer. Or If I wanna go meet someone to trade with etc timer...wanna switch to a different server from my tent server...timer

Loads of bs

No, the answer to stop server hoppers would be to stop them logging off in high value loot areas.. For example, NWAF, any of the military bases etc.. If you try to log off there it shouldn't give you the option to abort.. If you CTRL+ALT+DELETE or whatever out of the game then it should teleport you 1km away in a random direction. Basically, if the game detects that you are logging in inside a military spawn area then it should move you 1km minimum away from that area.. Then all those server hoppers will at least have to run back in and risk getting spotted, and they won't do that because they don't want to be seen or get shot.. Obviously there will be the odd person who gets d/c and gets moved on reconnect but I would rather the odd person got punished unfairly than allow people to just server hop like they currently do to gear up...

Oh, yeah that seems really smart...

You clearly don't seem to understand the whole situation. They ARE randomizing loot spawns, but NOT like you described it. They make the chances of each item spawning dependant on the area of the spawn point.

Please read the past status reports and the dev blogs here in the forum about those topics, then you'll understand that what you posted is complete nonsense.

1. If you randomized loot people will just hop large cities for the big spawn points..

2. Also no one would ever go in land hardly at all.

3. If you can find anything you want in Cherno on a low pop then why ever leave?

4. The issue of server hoppers is much harder to deal with but should improve when loot respawns work for once.

5. You will always have them on a public hive cause many people are just too damn lazy.

6. Even the current timer does noting to stop them and only managed to ruin valid game play for others.

7. Even when the server I was just on resets I get hit with that stupid timer. Or If I wanna go meet someone to trade with etc timer...wanna switch to a different server from my tent server...timer

Loads of bs

I was so kind to add numbers to your post so I can respond properly:

1. No, there won't be any "big spawn points" anymore.

2. Wrong, with increasing number of zombies, increasing intelligence of zombies and stamina comping up, cities will be dangerous as f*ck.

3. You won't! That's the whole idea of randdomizing spawn points and distribute loot among certain areas of the map (I can't believe I have to explain this...).

4. Will improve, yes. Hard to deal? Let's wait, then we know.

5. If you are reffering to hoppers that change servers quickly --> read my second last post (#124)

6. Well, they already reduced it, it used to be 5 minutes. IMO 30 sec are totally acceptable.

7. For me the timer is 30 sec., are you complaining about 30 seconds?!?!?!? Most games have a loading screen that is more than 30 seconds... nuff said.

Seriously guys, read the information that the devs provide (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-developer-discussion-status-reports/). It would stop so many non-sense posts here...

Edited by degude

You clearly don't seem to understand the whole situation. They ARE randomizing loot spawns, but NOT like you described it. They make the chances of each item spawning dependant on the area of the spawn point.

Please read the past status reports and the dev blogs here in the forum about those topics, then you'll understand that what you posted is complete nonsense.

Yeah actually, that is smart.. In fact, other than introducing a longer and longer timer, it is the only intelligent way to prevent server hopping in high loot areas that I have seen. Cleared out a barracks, checked the area is clear, go looting, killed by a guy spawning behind you... That is bullshit and you know it. So why not stop them being able to do that? If they had to make that run from 1km out from the barracks then they may well start playing properly rather than gearing up on low pop then running to their favourite PVP zone..

Oh and there is no need to be quite so rude or arrogant in your responses, if I was incorrect then fine, but don't start your post like you did when I was just throwing out an idea. What would you do to prevent the server hopper issue good sir? 

And finally, do you happen to have a rough idea when the dev report with the details about the loot would have been posted? I would like to read it in full.

Edit: For some reason I typed "incorrect" as "in correct".. Changed it. 

Edited by GaleKast

I was so kind to add numbers to your post so I can respond properly:

1. No, there won't be any "big spawn points" anymore.

2. Wrong, with increasing number of zombies, increasing intelligence of zombies and stamina comping up, cities will be dangerous as f*ck.

3. You won't! That's the whole idea of randdomizing spawn points and distribute loot among certain areas of the map (I can't believe I have to explain this...).

4. Will improve, yes. Hard to deal? Let's wait, then we know.

5. If you are reffering to hoppers that change servers quickly --> read my second last post (#124)

6. Well, they already reduced it, it used to be 5 minutes. IMO 30 sec are totally acceptable.

7. For me the timer is 30 sec., are you complaining about 30 seconds?!?!?!? Most games have a loading screen that is more than 30 seconds... nuff said.

Seriously guys, read the information that the devs provide (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-developer-discussion-status-reports/). It would stop so many non-sense posts here...

1.yes there would.. Your odds are about 10x of finding an m4 in Cherno than say vybor mil base or a crash site under your logic..

2. Players who can play with stealth won't have issues.. As it is now zombies aggro me from a mile away.. It won't be as hard as you think

3. You will because Cherno statically holds the greatest % of spawns so your likelihood of finding top notch weapons is greatest in Cherno and other large cities due to the massive amount of spawns that would be there

4. Not sure what you mean but let's wait and see

5. Don't feel like it

6.30-60 seconds depending on server and then another minute at please wait. It adds up and is annoying after awhile.

7. It is more than 30 seconds at least 2 mins for me

I have no issues if mil gear spawns randomly in mil areas and non mil gear spawns randomly elsewhere btw

Just think there needs to be inventive for players to spread out

Edited by trev186

Yeah actually, that is smart.. In fact, other than introducing a longer and longer timer, it is the only intelligent way to prevent server hopping in high loot areas that I have seen. Cleared out a barracks, checked the area is clear, go looting, killed by a guy spawning behind you... That is bullshit and you know it. So why not stop them being able to do that? If they had to make that run from 1km out from the barracks then they may well start playing properly rather than gearing up on low pop then running to their favourite PVP zone..

Oh and there is no need to be quite so rude or arrogant in your responses, if I was incorrect then fine, but don't start your post like you did when I was just throwing out an idea. What would you do to prevent the server hopper issue good sir? 

And finally, do you happen to have a rough idea when the dev report with the details about the loot would have been posted? I would like to read it in full.

Edit: For some reason I typed "incorrect" as "in correct".. Changed it. 

Maybe I was a bit rude, sorry for that, but the ammount of posts that haven't been tought through is too damn high...

The problem you described can happen in any building right now, but you really figured out the key problem about server hopping. Loot is distributed among certain spawn points and that's why someone will spawn in barracks. As soon as all the military loot is distributed over the whole airfield, nobody will do this anymore because it's too risky. Right now it pays off because the barracks spawns the best loot. This makes all other "enforcements" unnecessary (besides all other negative consequences). Do you get my point?7

Regarding the hoppers, read posts #120 & #121

Here they talk about it: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/220780-status-report-17-feb-15/

They've talked about that in other reports and topics, but I obviously not going to search all of them :P

Maybe I was a bit rude, sorry for that, but the ammount of posts that haven't been tought through is too damn high...

The problem you described can happen in any building right now, but you really figured out the key problem about server hopping. Loot is distributed among certain spawn points and that's why someone will spawn in barracks. As soon as all the military loot is distributed over the whole airfield, nobody will do this anymore because it's too risky. Right now it pays off because the barracks spawns the best loot. This makes all other "enforcements" unnecessary (besides all other negative consequences). Do you get my point?7

Regarding the hoppers, read posts #120 & #121

Here they talk about it: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/220780-status-report-17-feb-15/

They've talked about that in other reports and topics, but I obviously not going to search all of them :P

Ah thank you very much :) I will get round to reading them when I get a little bit of time. The loot distribution for the military areas how you described it sounds a lot better than the current system. I can imagine it wont exactly stop the hoppers but it may at least deter them a bit. I still think removing them from the area would be a good last resort idea if they cant find a better way. But if this helps it then so be it. But thank you for explaining it and I will have a proper look at those reports later on :)

Ah thank you very much :) I will get round to reading them when I get a little bit of time. The loot distribution for the military areas how you described it sounds a lot better than the current system. I can imagine it wont exactly stop the hoppers but it may at least deter them a bit. I still think removing them from the area would be a good last resort idea if they cant find a better way. But if this helps it then so be it. But thank you for explaining it and I will have a proper look at those reports later on :)

Well, it's not a stopping them rightaway, but they will change their behaviour. Running arrount the airfield or base and checking ever building takes a lot more time and is way more risky than just to visit the barracks. So "hopping" will not be as rewarding as it is now.

A small comparison:

-Right now, the best places (imo) to go on NWAF are the two barracks and the "tent-area". If players are just checking the barracks close to the tent area it's only about 800m they have to run; can be done in a few minutes.

- In the future they'd have to check all hangars (8; no cover), firestation (exposed in tower), airport tower (exposed), industrial hangars, barn area, prisons, south end (with barracks and prison), road entrance, guard towers (there's like 20 of them), and some small other spots... That's quite a challenge in such a dangerous area and will take way more time.

• Like 1

1.yes there would.. Your odds are about 10x of finding an m4 in Cherno than say vybor mil base or a crash site under your logic..

2. Players who can play with stealth won't have issues.. As it is now zombies aggro me from a mile away.. It won't be as hard as you think

3. You will because Cherno statically holds the greatest % of spawns so your likelihood of finding top notch weapons is greatest in Cherno and other large cities due to the massive amount of spawns that would be there

4. Not sure what you mean but let's wait and see

5. Don't feel like it

6.30-60 seconds depending on server and then another minute at please wait. It adds up and is annoying after awhile.

7. It is more than 30 seconds at least 2 mins for me

I have no issues if mil gear spawns randomly in mil areas and non mil gear spawns randomly elsewhere btw

Just think there needs to be inventive for players to spread out

1. Well, you don't seem to understand this logic (btw,it's not mine, it's from the devs). A server spawns a certain quantity of each item. Each item has it's areas where it can spawn, but independantly from a certain spawn point, so it could be in any barn, house, etc. of the south-western area. I'd suggest you to investigate on your own how the devs plan to new loot distribution, I can't explain everything here...

2. Again, read the latest status reports, they precisely explain that they want the zombies to become a real threat. Of course the rural areas will never be as crowded as the cities but with the upcoming base building the forests will become very interesting for players.

3. Loot will be distributed over the map, so certain things will not spawn in Cherno, but in other cities in other areas. Does that make sense now?

4. Yeah, I meant let's wait :P

5. What kind of answer is this? Well if you don't know which building spawns the item you search you have to search every building, this will make server hopping more inefficent and more risky (see post #132 & #134 too)

6. The "please wait" screen is for loading some data (I don't remember which), so it's depends on the performance of your pc, internet, server (idk which exactly). For me it usually resolves very quickly.

7. For restart it has never been more than 30 for me... when switching servers the timer is for decreasing server hopping a bit. Not the best solution, but for the moment it seems ok to me (I'm usually not switching).

"Just think there needs to be inventive for players to spread out" --> That's what they are intending with the new loot spawn system...

1. Well, you don't seem to understand this logic (btw,it's not mine, it's from the devs). A server spawns a certain quantity of each item. Each item has it's areas where it can spawn, but independantly from a certain spawn point, so it could be in any barn, house, etc. of the south-western area. I'd suggest you to investigate on your own how the devs plan to new loot distribution, I can't explain everything here...

2. Again, read the latest status reports, they precisely explain that they want the zombies to become a real threat. Of course the rural areas will never be as crowded as the cities but with the upcoming base building the forests will become very interesting for players.

3. Loot will be distributed over the map, so certain things will not spawn in Cherno, but in other cities in other areas. Does that make sense now?

4. Yeah, I meant let's wait :P

5. What kind of answer is this? Well if you don't know which building spawns the item you search you have to search every building, this will make server hopping more inefficent and more risky (see post #132 & #134 too)

6. The "please wait" screen is for loading some data (I don't remember which), so it's depends on the performance of your pc, internet, server (idk which exactly). For me it usually resolves very quickly.

7. For restart it has never been more than 30 for me... when switching servers the timer is for decreasing server hopping a bit. Not the best solution, but for the moment it seems ok to me (I'm usually not switching).

"Just think there needs to be inventive for players to spread out" --> That's what they are intending with the new loot spawn system...

In regards to loot being randomized I think we are in agreement mate...

I was voicing my dislike for the idea of all loot even mill loot being able to spawn randomly ANYWHERE which others had said.

Like the guy sayinwhit server hop a barrack if it full of child's briefcases.

I have been hoping they mix the loot up for awhile

And I'm not discounting zombies... I'm just saying I am confident I can handle any AI thrown at me no matter the hordes as long as I am in an open world.

I'll adapt and am looking forward to it.

My pcs specs are pretty leet... That please wait extended bs only happens when I recently swapped servers... Never when I first login or if I wait like 5 mins inbetween.

Pretty sure they are just not showing the full timer to try and enrage you less.

Edited by trev186

In regards to loot being randomized I think we are in agreement mate...

I was voicing my dislike for the idea of all loot even mill loot being able to spawn randomly ANYWHERE which others had said.

Like the guy sayinwhit server hop a barrack if it full of child's briefcases.

I have been hoping they mix the loot up for awhile

And I'm not discounting zombies... I'm just saying I am confident I can handle any AI thrown at me no matter the hordes as long as I am in an open world.

I'll adapt and am looking forward to it.

My pcs specs are pretty leet... That please wait extended bs only happens when I recently swapped servers... Never when I first login or if I wait like 5 mins inbetween.

Pretty sure they are just not showing the full timer to try and enrage you less.

Yeah, sometimes my english skill make it hard to understand my point :P

yep, that's not going to happen (at least it's not planned)

Barracks are the worst

I can't relate, when I was hopping you could still find the M4 in the hangars :P

Yeah, I don't doubt that, but for others it's a factor. What also came into my mind -> with more survival functionality, more people (like me) will love the survival feeling in the woods.

I don't know, I'm usually just one a few servers and rarely switch

Dude, I tried saying this when Dayz SA first dropped and I saw how OP the M4 was compared to any single shot pistol or bolt action rifle. I was labeled as an idiot and put down by most of the duping sever hoping scrubs on here at the time but it seems many of those people are gone from here because the responses you got were much more positive then mine. So where are we a year and half later from when I raised this red flag? Full auto weapons are even more OP and seem to spawn more frequently or are just duped.  I find a lot of AK's and Heli crashes with western AR's but I play the game a lot more then most people but in my humble opinion it may be wise to make the full auto receiver a rare attachment for rifles not spawned by default attached to the rifle. I understand at this stage in the game you need to have a lot of guns in order to test and balance them, but I think the idea of splitting the full auto receiver from a semi-auto one is not a bad idea to do.

In my honest opinion though machine guns have zero place in this game and making them spawn exclusively at military bases makes the problem worse they should make them spawn in a random barn somewhere instead to make them harder to find. The issue is not with the machine gun its how the games code handles bullet damage. The game is coded for single shot guns so every bullet reflects damage. They need to code in every 3rd bullet actually hitting the target with machine guns similar to how some FPS games do it. But ONLY for machine guns obviously because doing that with the SKS and pistols would make this game pretty broken. 

• Like 1

They need to code in every 3rd bullet actually hitting the target with machine guns similar to how some FPS games do it.

Aren't people always bitching about how gritty and realistic this game is supposed to be and how its not like CoD or BF or w/e other shooter they feel like mentioning?

In our lovely real world (which people want this to mimic at the expense of all else) you do not only feel the impact of every third round from an automatic weapon. You feel (assuming adrenaline hasn't kicked in yet and you still feel things) the impact of each bullet, each of which is just as likely to kill you as the last.

TL;DR Guns aren't balanced in the real world, stop trying to balance guns in something want to be "realistic"

• Like 1

Dude, I tried saying this when Dayz SA first dropped and I saw how OP the M4 was compared to any single shot pistol or bolt action rifle. I was labeled as an idiot and put down by most of the duping sever hoping scrubs on here at the time but it seems many of those people are gone from here because the responses you got were much more positive then mine. So where are we a year and half later from when I raised this red flag? Full auto weapons are even more OP and seem to spawn more frequently or are just duped.  I find a lot of AK's and Heli crashes with western AR's but I play the game a lot more then most people but in my humble opinion it may be wise to make the full auto receiver a rare attachment for rifles not spawned by default attached to the rifle. I understand at this stage in the game you need to have a lot of guns in order to test and balance them, but I think the idea of splitting the full auto receiver from a semi-auto one is not a bad idea to do.

In my honest opinion though machine guns have zero place in this game and making them spawn exclusively at military bases makes the problem worse they should make them spawn in a random barn somewhere instead to make them harder to find. The issue is not with the machine gun its how the games code handles bullet damage. The game is coded for single shot guns so every bullet reflects damage. They need to code in every 3rd bullet actually hitting the target with machine guns similar to how some FPS games do it. But ONLY for machine guns obviously because doing that with the SKS and pistols would make this game pretty broken. 

What? No place in the game? The military presence that was there just vanished and all the equipment also? Full auto weapons are not OP. They are designed exactly like they should be. That being said, i have'nt even bothered the last two weeks to aquire one. I've been rolling with the blaze, mosin, shotgun, pistol setup and do just fine. But i'm sure when the hordes are introduced that i'm probably going to seek out a akm with drum mag.

Aren't people always bitching about how gritty and realistic this game is supposed to be and how its not like CoD or BF or w/e other shooter they feel like mentioning?

In our lovely real world (which people want this to mimic at the expense of all else) you do not only feel the impact of every third round from an automatic weapon. You feel (assuming adrenaline hasn't kicked in yet and you still feel things) the impact of each bullet, each of which is just as likely to kill you as the last.

TL;DR Guns aren't balanced in the real world, stop trying to balance guns in something want to be "realistic"

I never said I wanted DayZ to be super realistic although I know many many people cry about it not being real enough. A video game will never be realistic because its a game and nothing but. I could go off on such a tangent on why this game and other survival games are not realistic that I could write a hundred pages. If this game were to be as real as it possibly can be absolutely nobody would play it because a real life survival situation isnt a fun simulation. Long story short- Its a game.  

As for the random loot, totally agree, it should be randomized in all the houses and warehouses and stuff like that, but the military spawns should remain as they are, that is what they are there for.. It would make no sense to enter a barracks and find a load of childs briefcases or pink raincoats or whatever..

I wouldn't mind that idea.. what if they took it further and forced all spawn points to be randomly placed outside of the town you logged out of... running back in wouldn't take that long, but it would help with getting ghosted.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind that idea.. what if they took it further and forced all spawn points to be randomly placed outside of the town you logged out of... running back in wouldn't take that long, but it would help with getting ghosted.

Might be onto something here with the No-Spawn zones around towns or structures.  Kind of like after a death you have certain places that you can spawn, they should just have many more places to spawn.  It could just spawn you back into a server at the closest available point, perhaps checking availability based on  proximity of other players and AI.

• Like 1

I actually really like that idea. I know it probably wouldn't be accepted by the majority but it is a good idea to stop the ghosting and such like. Besides, logging off in a town is a terrible idea, best to go find a tree or something to hide in! But I definitely think the idea of spawning you outside of the military zones is a good one, yes its not perfect and yes it may only be 1km to run but its that 1km the server hopper will have to run and potentially be seen. And as the hoppers wont exactly be proficient in dealing with players seeing as they are clearly doing the easy option, hopefully they will get murdered and lose their precious gear!

When in the midle of a town, you have no chance when someone is shooting at you with a fully automatic weapon. You really cann't defend yourself. 

Just duck behind the nearest cover, and for the love of Jebus, don't run at them in a straight line. Bob and weave!

Yeah, I mean what?

Automatic weapons aren't that good. And you should be at a disadvantage if you're not near any substantive cover! That's the whole point! Don't get shot at in the first place! Shoot them before they get a chance to open up on you! That's the name of the game.

Not sure how you can say that they have "nothing to do with Cernarus [sic] atmosphere, nor survival lifestyle."

Edited by Katana67

Yeah, I mean what?

Automatic weapons aren't that good. And you should be at a disadvantage if you're not near any substantive cover! That's the whole point! Don't get shot at in the first place! Shoot them before they get a chance to open up on you! That's the name of the game.

Not sure how you can say that they have "nothing to do with Cernarus [sic] atmosphere, nor survival lifestyle."

I mean, isn't that a rule of thumb when fighting an enemy with any sort of ranged weapon? Even if everyone in the game was using crafted ashwood short bows you'd still be stupid to stand out in the open while an opponent was shooting you with them. Yeah, bows and slower firearms are easier to avoid than an automatic, but in all reality you're taking a risk no matter what.

The point the guy was making was that you basically have very little leg room with select-fire weapons compared to others, which isn't wrong. However, that doesn't make it justification for these to not be present. Play smart and assume everyone you encounter is more prepared than you are and you'll be much more likely to survive. No matter what there will always be the times you just make a mistake and get shot or someone gets the jump on you and you have no time to respond, but that's just life in DayZ - it isn't always fair, or even close to it. Obviously in the future we'll have far more people using lower end weaponry and valuable military gear will be less than common, but I wouldn't expect them to not increase the variety or niches just because not everyone's gonna have one 24/7 in 1.0

• Like 1

A question (or three):

How many rounds from a M4 does it take to incapacitate/kill a character. Is it about the same for 5.45mm rifles as well?

How many for the AKM?

Assuming typical scrub range of about 50-100m and center of mass shots.

A question (or three):

How many rounds from a M4 does it take to incapacitate/kill a character. Is it about the same for 5.45mm rifles as well?

How many for the AKM?

Assuming typical scrub range of about 50-100m and center of mass shots.

I've never used an M4 so I can only speak for the AKM. One will often work except on people in military gear, but since you've got an automatic, just fire 2-3 rounds, or hit them in the head if you can. 

• Like 1

Just asking, because despite my many hours is SA all of my firefights have been 2-3 shots in 4 seconds and then done. It appears to me that all weapons are much more lethal.

For example a Mosin class weapon required at least 2 hits at point blank, with a 50/50 chance of unconsciousness with every hit, AKM 3-4ish, 5.45m 4-5ish.

If all weapons are nearly instant death, why worry about full auto when one bullet will do the trick?

Besides, like the mod before it, full auto is just a way to waste bullets in Dayz. Given the option I would always set my stuff to semi.