Sike (DayZ)

Does DayZ need aeiral transport?

Do you want to see aerial transport in DayZ  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see aerial transport in DayZ

• No - I want to keep DayZ on terra firma/assorted bodies of water
    • Yes - I want to see all kinds of aerial vehicles
    • Yes - But I want to only see transports (no gunships)
    • Yes - But I want to only see limited transports (no heli-hunting door gunners)
    • I just want a parachute to stop me from breaking my legs!
  2. 2. If you clicked No, why?

• Aerial vehicles feel unnatural and don't fit the overall theme
    • Aerial vehicles are overpowering and too unfair for those not lucky enough to find one
    • Dev time could be better spent elsewhere
    • Other - Say in comments
    • I didn't vote no
  3. 3. If you clicked Yes, why?

• Chernarus is too big just to have land vehicles
    • Teamplay possibilities make it too good not to have
    • The mod had it so the stand alone should have it too
    • Other - Say in comments
    • I didn't vote yes

Everyone should have access? I disagree. Everyone should have the same basic chance to have access, but beyond that, actually gaining access should be a nightmare that only the strongest can endure. Flying a chopper should never be as easy and straightforward as finding one, pressing the start button and taking off like a pro. 

Yeah, because that's what video games are for... only being able to do what you can actually do in real life...  Great logic.

Having read a number of your posts, I do not believe you understand the direction DayZ has taken from the beginning.

DayZ is never supposed to be about instant gratification.

Nearly every aspect of DayZ is process driven.

That is why there is no "reload" hotkey in DayZ....

I had a couple of opportunities to steal choppers in the mod but never did so because I knew I would likely just kill myself crashing it.

Keeping vehicles near sim level to operate forces the person to either learn the right way to pilot them or suffer the consequences.

Having read your replies to my comments, I do not believe you have a solid grasp on the English language... That or you're reading into something that's not there and that I certainly did not say.

Edited by Finchtastic

I see no reason why there shouldn't be a mix of 5-10 total civilian choppers and duster type civilian planes per server.  They've already made it so it takes an extra hour to run the map, on top of the 30 minutes it usually takes because of frequent food/loot stops from getting hungry and thirsty every 4-5 minutes, at MOST.  Which is completely ridiculous to begin with. But it's only gonna get worse once stamina is implemented and such.  It's also really stupid to be so rare that you barely ever see them working, just don't fkn add them at all at that point, it's just silly.  Adding something that 99% of players will never get to use both unfair and is completely pointless and a waste of development time.  Armed choppers though, should be more rare.. Maybe 1 or 2 per server... Or make the choppers able to be customized and make the gun mounts really rare instead.

I understood this just fine thanks.

Not everyone should have or get the opportunity to build or fly aircraft in DayZ, period.

If it weren't for the time intensive nature of acquiring one or the advanced controls needed to pilot one, you would find DayZ turning into a helicopter gunship game far too quickly.

5-10 choppers AND airplanes on a single server??

That's never gonna happen.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

Not everyone should have or get the opportunity to build or fly aircraft in DayZ, period.

If it weren't for the time intensive nature of acquiring one or the advanced controls needed to pilot one, you would find DayZ turning into a helicopter gunship game far too quickly.

Clearly you didn't understand.  A MIX OF 5-10.  That means 5-10 total of BOTH.  And everyone should have a chance to have one, given they spend the time.  There shouldn't be a set amount so 10 people can have one and nobody else ever gets to fkn play.  That's stupid and a waste of development time.  Please L2read

I do believe I read a tweet from one of the developers somewhere that he is planning on there "only being 10-20 vehicles on an entire server". The PLETHORA of vehicles available right now is due to testing, or something like that.

Point being: don't expect there to be a shit-ton of vehicles. Everyone will have "access" to them, in the sense that if they find one, AND all the parts, WHILE defending it from others, they can drive it. Not everyone will have a vehicle. There is a pretty significant difference.

EDIT: I DO agree with your points. I re-read my post and it sounded like I didn't. Just to clarify.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

Clearly you didn't understand.  A MIX OF 5-10.  That means 5-10 total of BOTH.  And everyone should have a chance to have one, given they spend the time.  There shouldn't be a set amount so 10 people can have one and nobody else ever gets to fkn play.  That's stupid and a waste of development time.  Please L2read

I read (and comprehend what I've read) better than most and I write even better on the same scale, thanks.

Even 10 flying vehicles per server is ridiculous.

With just 5 of those operational on a single server, you'll have battles for air superiority over every map.

• Like 1

I read (and comprehend what I've read) better than most and I write even better on the same scale, thanks.

Even 10 flying vehicles per server is ridiculous.

With just 5 of those operational on a single server, you'll have battles for air superiority over every map.

I fail to see how 5-10 unarmed aerial vehicles would have any kind of battle over anything... What are you gonna mount a .50 cal on a crop duster?  Get real.  Btw, let me quote myself rq for ya.

"make the choppers able to be customized and make the gun mounts really rare"

So much for that comprehension you were talking about, eh? I even made it big for you this time.

I fail to see how 5-10 unarmed aerial vehicles would have any kind of battle over anything... What are you gonna mount a .50 cal on a crop duster?  Get real.  Btw, let me quote myself rq for ya.

So much for that comprehension you were talking about, eh? I even made it big for you this time.

Considering that WW1-era fighters essentially were "cropdusters mounted with .50 cals".....I see no problem with that.

Edit: they also carried hand-held bombs. As in, bombs dropped by hand via the pilot or co-pilot. That would be spectacularly awesome.

Edited by Whyherro123

Considering that WW1-era fighters essentially were "cropdusters mounted with .50 cals".....I see no problem with that.

Edit: they also carried hand-held bombs. As in, bombs dropped by hand via the pilot or co-pilot. That would be spectacularly awesome.

See, that is the kind of aerial vehicles I wouldn't mind. Low-tech, hard to handle.

Yeah, because that's what video games are for... only being able to do what you can actually do in real life...  Great logic.

Not every video game, no. Great generalisation.

Chill out. All your posts are so damn angry.

We definitely need airplanes , helicopters I can see being overpowered but still we should have personal helicopters (with hardly any weight capacity , and they would be large gas consumers, also it would have NO weapons) and we definitely need to have airplanes(sorry for spamming that but people don't realize how well airplanes fit into standalone !!!).

Both regular airplanes and those airplanes that land on water , they should be Loud as fuck and need a lot of room to land (and most likely be only 2-3 person seater) , this would balance out the "invincibility" aspect everyone assumes someone in an aircraft would have; they would have to be so stealthy whenever they wanted to land somewhere , and would more than often have to land on fields outside of airstrips because airstrips would be too dangerous based on zombies and pvp ... And since there is truly no "safe place" in chernarus , the ones flying the airplane or helicopter wouldn't ever be able to just fly away from the apocalypse to an island and be sAfe, as there are Zeds (or will be) everywhere . No gun ships please that's what makes people say no to the aircraft idea , and make sure that the aircraft are so old (1970's Cessnas everywhere !) that there is usually one mechanical issue every couple of times you go flying (I only say this so that upkeeping the aircraft will take up most of your time so you're not a flying pvp master).

But we need aircraft , first of all think of how fun the mod was with aircraft , now take away the guns from the aircraft , then think of the movie day of the dead , or dawn of the dead , those heads had a plane and a helicopter but had to be very careful with them because as mentioned in dawn of the dead the chopper takes a certain skill to fly , takes up a ton of gas , and is easily spotted and heard by bandits... So ya dawn of the dead pretty much set up the balance that standalone needs to interpret for it's aerial vehicle balance lol !

Tl;Dr: Standalone needs aerial vehicles (mostly planes) but there needs to be a huge disadvantage to driving them that it almost makes it an impossibility unless you want to upkeep its constant problems and gas issues , not to mention the issues of stealth when landing.

Edited by Grapefruit kush

Yes, but there should be instruction manuels you must read/find for your dude to be able to start it up. And NO gunships with rockets. They're op enough in battlefield, they'd break Dayz.

Yes, but there should be instruction manuels you must read/find for your dude to be able to start it up. And NO gunships with rockets. They're op enough in battlefield, they'd break Dayz.

I would much rather they just make them more sim-like to fly. I don't want an RPG-style game that starts going too far down the road of of trying to simulate what our avatar does or does not know. for that matter i want weapons to me more like arma/ACE too and less focused on being balanced/gimped to add value to attachments. the balance should lay purely in the skill of ther person behind the stick/keyboard.

if i had to go around the cockpit and do the full start up turning on fuel, power, spooling up the engine, etc THEN after getting it started had to manually do the delicate balancing act of using the tail rotor to counter the chopper's tendency to rotate while also avoiding drifting laterally that would solve all problems. ohh and now try providing a useful gun platform for your door gunner while doing this, lol. as someone else said; early military choppers with only door guns serve for more suppression then being able to precisely hit man sized targets. Yes a really really good gunner/pilot team could kill reliably with it- but shooting from a moving chopper is very hard. go load up A2 and try it with the huey or MI8.

• Like 1

We definitely need airplanes , helicopters I can see being overpowered but still we should have personal helicopters (with hardly any weight capacity , and they would be large gas consumers, also it would have NO weapons) and we definitely need to have airplanes(sorry for spamming that but people don't realize how well airplanes fit into standalone !!!).

Both regular airplanes and those airplanes that land on water , they should be Loud as fuck and need a lot of room to land (and most likely be only 2-3 person seater) , this would balance out the "invincibility" aspect everyone assumes someone in an aircraft would have; they would have to be so stealthy whenever they wanted to land somewhere , and would more than often have to land on fields outside of airstrips because airstrips would be too dangerous based on zombies and pvp ... And since there is truly no "safe place" in chernarus , the ones flying the airplane or helicopter wouldn't ever be able to just fly away from the apocalypse to an island and be sAfe, as there are Zeds (or will be) everywhere . No gun ships please that's what makes people say no to the aircraft idea , and make sure that the aircraft are so old (1970's Cessnas everywhere !) that there is usually one mechanical issue every couple of times you go flying (I only say this so that upkeeping the aircraft will take up most of your time so you're not a flying pvp master).

But we need aircraft , first of all think of how fun the mod was with aircraft , now take away the guns from the aircraft , then think of the movie day of the dead , or dawn of the dead , those heads had a plane and a helicopter but had to be very careful with them because as mentioned in dawn of the dead the chopper takes a certain skill to fly , takes up a ton of gas , and is easily spotted and heard by bandits... So ya dawn of the dead pretty much set up the balance that standalone needs to interpret for it's aerial vehicle balance lol !

Tl;Dr: Standalone needs aerial vehicles (mostly planes) but there needs to be a huge disadvantage to driving them that it almost makes it an impossibility unless you want to upkeep its constant problems and gas issues , not to mention the issues of stealth when landing.

I don't really know what game you guys are playing that you think it is a good idea to have airplanes. Maybe in Grand Theft Auto it makes sense to hijack a plane and cruise to your destination for 2 and a half minutes because that game is centered around near mindless entertainment where if you're made to try to accomplish something for more than 5 minutes you will probably feel like turning the game off. That is probably why they introduced fast travel after GTA SA.

Chernarus isn't that big. Going from the most southwest point on the map to the most northeast is 20km. Going the top speed of a standard single engine Cessna you can make that entire trip in just 4 minutes. Don't get me wrong, going from Vybor to Berizino in under 2 minutes sounds tempting but it just removes all the challenge. Additionally there is limited space to land. The only areas flat enough to take off and land are by the airfields and you are guaranteed to get ganked the moment you land at any one of them so while it may sound like a good idea to play around with one it really isn't.

Edited by Sike
  • Like 2

I don't really know what game you guys are playing that you think it is a good idea to have airplanes. Maybe in Grand Theft Auto it makes sense to hijack a plane and cruise to your destination for 2 and a half minutes because that game is centered around near mindless entertainment where if you're made to try to accomplish something for more than 5 minutes you will probably feel like turning the game off. That is probably why the introduced fast travel after GTA SA.

Chernarus isn't that big. Going from the most southwest point on the map to the most northwest is 20km. Going the top speed of a standard single engine Cessna you can make that entire trip in just 4 minutes. Don't get me wrong, going from Vybor to Berizino in under 2 minutes sounds tempting but it just removes all the challenge. Additionally there is limited space to land. The only areas flat enough to take off and land are by the airfields and you are guaranteed to get ganked the moment you land at any one of them so while it may sound like a good idea to play around with one it really isn't.

I agree. South Zagoria (the region of Chernarus we play in) is TINY. 

Even the addition of the V3S (when it goes up hills) has been huge because you can fly around the map and gear up and pick friends up in a way that wasn't possible before. Aerial transport will also further change and enhance the game. I do think it may be worth while to allow server admins to have some control over certain things - I could see a private server where they wanted it legacy StandAlone with no vehicles. It's going to be interesting as additional vehicles get added...

Unfortunately, those "legacy," vanilla SA servers won't exist or will have zero pops if they don't have choppers and planes in abundance. It happened in the mod and it will happen in SA if the Devs give Admins that level of control.

Yes, finally finding the last dam windscreen and getting a chopper off the ground in vanilla dayz mod was one of the most gratifying things I've ever experienced in gaming. Moar pls.

Yes, finally finding the last dam windscreen and getting a chopper off the ground in vanilla dayz mod was one of the most gratifying things I've ever experienced in gaming. Moar pls.

Did you even need the windscreen? Couldn't you just go into third person view in the mod?

I don't really know what game you guys are playing that you think it is a good idea to have airplanes. Maybe in Grand Theft Auto it makes sense to hijack a plane and cruise to your destination for 2 and a half minutes because that game is centered around near mindless entertainment where if you're made to try to accomplish something for more than 5 minutes you will probably feel like turning the game off. That is probably why they introduced fast travel after GTA SA.

Chernarus isn't that big. Going from the most southwest point on the map to the most northeast is 20km. Going the top speed of a standard single engine Cessna you can make that entire trip in just 4 minutes. Don't get me wrong, going from Vybor to Berizino in under 2 minutes sounds tempting but it just removes all the challenge. Additionally there is limited space to land. The only areas flat enough to take off and land are by the airfields and you are guaranteed to get ganked the moment you land at any one of them so while it may sound like a good idea to play around with one it really isn't.

Please stop comparing this game to others lol , and fast travel ? What the hell are you talking about ? Oh and you do realize we can already get across the map in less than ten minutes in a v3s? And have you ever been out to any of the fields in the middle or outskirts or north of the map ? They all have huge flat areas that would be easy enough to land it, also if you had read my post I also suggested planes with water wings that could land safely on certain bodies of water , increasing the amount of areas you could land (most lakes are too small so basically you could land anywhere on or off the coast )....

And you have got to be kidding me implying it doesn't fit into the setting , in a rural farm area like this with plenty of big cities around there would be no reason why some of the bigger , more wealthy farmers wouldn't have airplanes to air dust their crops! It's much more realistic than a helicopter lol , and your random talk about GTA has no correlation to this game , you would have to work REALLY hard to get a plane up and running in dayz so stop with this "it only fits in mindless games that require no work" because you damn well know it's not going to be as easy as it is in other games , so Again stop comparing games because it does nothing positive for your argument !

Why not just get a truck you say ? Well because if you're a survivor like me you would realize people don't want to be on the ground all the time , sure a flying airplane is an easy target but that's a challenge some of us hardcore dayz fans want to take, and considering so many people want to make this game all about civilian gear , a civilian Cessna would make more sense than any other aircraft...

So please don't compare this game to gta and don't think just because you think it's a bad idea that it is , because more than half of the dayz community has already voiced their opinion that they want planes and even choppers , and to be honest this game would be rather unrealistic and boring with just land vehicles and no air by the time 1.0 is released , maybe I'm biased because I've played the mod and loved the aircraft battles (which I think should be lessened in standalone , less aircraft battles but still the same amount of aircrafts) but I think everybody should know just how awesome aircraft survival is in a game like dayz.

As i said before - i want the AN-2 biplane. It would fit really well into DayZ (It was already in the mod) and could be fitted with light machine guns for dogfighting... imagine watching that... They stall to easy for strafing the ground. I also have visions of WWII bomber movies, with bullet holes being ripped in the plane from ground 2cm machine gun fire, cutting up the crew inside. (No, i don't want 20mm guns... a 7.62 would work on an AN-2) Would lead to those "O' shit" moments when you see small shafts of sunlight light coming through the small holes that are starting to punch through the cargo bay. (Ofcourse, the arma engine is to sucky for this)

Please stop comparing this game to others lol , and fast travel ? What the hell are you talking about ? Oh and you do realize we can already get across the map in less than ten minutes in a v3s? And have you ever been out to any of the fields in the middle or outskirts or north of the map ? They all have huge flat areas that would be easy enough to land it, also if you had read my post I also suggested planes with water wings that could land safely on certain bodies of water , increasing the amount of areas you could land (most lakes are too small so basically you could land anywhere on or off the coast )....

And you have got to be kidding me implying it doesn't fit into the setting , in a rural farm area like this with plenty of big cities around there would be no reason why some of the bigger , more wealthy farmers wouldn't have airplanes to air dust their crops! It's much more realistic than a helicopter lol , and your random talk about GTA has no correlation to this game , you would have to work REALLY hard to get a plane up and running in dayz so stop with this "it only fits in mindless games that require no work" because you damn well know it's not going to be as easy as it is in other games , so Again stop comparing games because it does nothing positive for your argument !

Why not just get a truck you say ? Well because if you're a survivor like me you would realize people don't want to be on the ground all the time , sure a flying airplane is an easy target but that's a challenge some of us hardcore dayz fans want to take, and considering so many people want to make this game all about civilian gear , a civilian Cessna would make more sense than any other aircraft...

So please don't compare this game to gta and don't think just because you think it's a bad idea that it is , because more than half of the dayz community has already voiced their opinion that they want planes and even choppers , and to be honest this game would be rather unrealistic and boring with just land vehicles and no air by the time 1.0 is released , maybe I'm biased because I've played the mod and loved the aircraft battles (which I think should be lessened in standalone , less aircraft battles but still the same amount of aircrafts) but I think everybody should know just how awesome aircraft survival is in a game like dayz.

Why can't I compare this game to others? GTA games like San Andreas have a map roughly the size of Chernarus (or South Zegoria I'm told). In fact it is actually smaller and that game even has jets. The thing is if you want any semblance of realism you're not going to be taking off with single engine Cessnas in the open fields. If you needed to make an emergency landing you might put one down there but you're not going to get it back up, not without a huge accident. You're either stuck to the airfields or those rare stretches of road that aren't on the coast where even just a mild breeze is going to push you into a mountain. Trust me I'm a private pilot with 80+ hours experience in operating a Cessna 172. Without some serious skill and luck that is not even feasible.

As for the likelihood that there are cropdusters laying around I highly doubt that. The region where all the farms are is around an airfield and if you know anything about airfields it is that flying your crop duster around it is highly dangerous and illegal not to mention there is a military base just to the south of it and any flyover could elicit a some serious consequences. None of the farms are big enough to require a cropdusting anyways.

Moving on you said a Cessna makes more sense than any other aircraft (I'm assuming you're talking about military choppers). All I am going to say about that is if I had one and my homeland just turned into a warzone I would have picked it up and got out on day one, military helicopters would have been in the area for a much longer time. As for seaplanes I have no experience with those and if they are just going to be used to cruise the coastline they sound pretty useless.

So moving back for a second lots of the people who are advocating for airplanes want them to require a large amount of repairs. Something very difficult to do, for that you would need to be an actual mechanic to know how to accomplish it. I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculous I think it is you have to go around scavenging through farmhouses and industrial buildings looking for specific engine parts and the specific windscreen you need. You say I can't reference other games? Fine, but that is straight up video game logic right there.

Lastly "more than half of the dayz community has already voiced their opinion that they want planes and even choppers" is a cherry pick. 100 people isn't the entire DayZ community. I want to keep this poll up and going up until Q3 before we start reaching conclusions like that.

Edited by Sike

Did you even need the windscreen? Couldn't you just go into third person view in the mod?

Aircraft couldn't be fueled up without full windscreen..

I Would be extremely exited if they added helicopters, but really really rare!

There are two types of helicopters that in my opinion would work in the game with its theme.

Russian: Mi-17/18-M

20070611200256!Mi-8_V_i_PVO.jpg

American: Black Hawk

black-hawk-2.jpg

Of course the Russian helicopter would be less rare then the Black Hawk because of Chernarus location but if these two choppers where added the old days of DayZ would be re-born :D

• Like 1

That is why there is no "reload" hotkey in DayZ....

Um, not to burst your bubble. There is a "reload" hotkey in DayZ and if you have a gun that uses mags, speedloaders, or clips for those that use them(Mosin/SKS) you tap the button and  you reload. You can then top off your mag or reload your empty clip/speedloader. 

Additionally there is limited space to land. The only areas flat enough to take off and land are by the airfields and you are guaranteed to get ganked the moment you land at any one of them so while it may sound like a good idea to play around with one it really isn't.

I flew planes in the mod and you are incorrect. There are hundreds of places you can actually land small planes and things like gyrocopters around Chernarus. Pick a stretch of highway that doesn't have electrical poles alongside it and there you go. There are also many fields that work as well.