gankaskon

What can be done about ghosting on public servers?

I fail to see how having restricted set number of certain items will mean you absolutely have to server hop?

If anything it means the opposite since server hopping for specific items will be pointless if said item is no longer in the rotation due to reaching its limit.

Because there will be X  items across Y servers.  If server A doesn't have what you need, you'll have to go to server B and bring it back.  If server B doesn't have it, you'll have to go to server C.  That's called server hopping.

I fail to see how having restricted set number of certain items will mean you absolutely have to server hop?

If anything it means the opposite since server hopping for specific items will be pointless if said item is no longer in the rotation due to reaching its limit.

The old discussion on 'global loot' indicated or at least suggested they were going for a set number of items across ALL SERVERS. not within a single instance. IE. once a certain number of X item persists in the hive it stops spawning until it drops below a certain point. (please bear in mind that were speaking of the public hive here, this info was from before private shards.) IMHO if your paying to host a private shard you and NOT the devs should be in control of everything. you should NOT be paying for the 'privilege' of covering BI's hosting bills.

if anyone has links to the specific videos/posts of devs relating to this id appreciate it as i only 'sort of' remember the discussions.

Because there will be X  items across Y servers.  If server A doesn't have what you need, you'll have to go to server B and bring it back.  If server B doesn't have it, you'll have to go to server C.  That's called server hopping.

If I cannot find a particular item I do not hop to another server to try to find it there, ever.

There is no single item in the game that I care to have so badly that I want to break immersion by teleporting.

When I find rare items "oganically" it can be very satisfying and makes me care even more for my character.

In the past I have only changed servers when one crashes/DC's or has other issues like an influx of hackers or admin abuse.

Well one anti-ghosting mechanic they had (whether intentional or not) was the reload noise that was played when someone logged in nearby. I can't for the life of me think of a good reason why they removed that.  

Because not everyone who logs in nearby is trying to ghost you.

Hoping to any server knowing said item is impossible there is no way you will know a certain server will contain a rare item you are looking for.

Also what I am refering to in the context of server hopping is when people jump server to server in a static high loot location such an airfield, loot the contents then jump to another server.

This allows them quickly amass all of the games best loot in no time usually with little risk in low pop servers. This is what most people consider server hopping and imo one if not the worst part of the game.

The old discussion on 'global loot' indicated or at least suggested they were going for a set number of items across ALL SERVERS. not within a single instance. IE. once a certain number of X item persists in the hive it stops spawning until it drops below a certain point. (please bear in mind that were speaking of the public hive here, this info was from before private shards.) IMHO if your paying to host a private shard you and NOT the devs should be in control of everything. you should NOT be paying for the 'privilege' of covering BI's hosting bills.

if anyone has links to the specific videos/posts of devs relating to this id appreciate it as i only 'sort of' remember the discussions.

If I remember correctly there will be both Private shards where the devs control the loot and fullblown private servers where the devs have no control of the loot at all.

The latter would have to exist if the game is doing mod support.

Edited by gibonez

I guess you think rape is womens' fault, too?

Yes. Of course. How is it not?

Jackass.

But if someone ghosts out and comes back in behind you... Isn't that the same thing as if someone just came up behind your group to begin with? I know literally it isn't but if your group watches their 6 properly no one should be able to get the drop on you ghosting or not.

I know if I came up on a group of guys huddled around a house not watching their backs they would pay for it.

If anything people trying to ghost have paid off for me as we've caught a handful of guys trying to ghost or combat log that felt the wraith of the log out timer... Yet don't think our group has lost one person to a ghost.

Seems like a non issue to me.

This is actually the exact point I was making in the statement that Ignorant IgnobleBasterd decided to weigh in on; they essentially put themselves in that position by not keeping an eye on their surroundings. Besides the fact that someone may have ghosted them, it's also possible the people they had trapped just had other friends that were elsewhere on the map and moved in behind them; even if that wasn't the case in that scenario, it's certainly plausible in that situation. So every time that happens, it doesn't mean someone ghosted necessarily, as it could instead just be that someone else logged in (or was already logged in) and moved in to help their friends.

Beyond that, I personally think the login timer is the best solution at the moment for public players; I personally don't mind waiting for 5-10 minutes (10 at the max, as that is pushing it a bit) to login, as I can go get a drink and a snack, or smoke a bowl, or get my daily fapping out of the way during that time; and with such a long wait time, that means it would take someone at least 10 minutes to switch servers, move position, and switch back, which would discourage many from doing so, and those that it doesn't will have less of an advantage because anything could happen in that time. Also, I myself wouldn't want to risk having someone logout to ghost, especially if already outnumbered, because that just means I'm outnumbered THAT MUCH MORE now while waiting; and in that situation, if I were the ones outside, I would take the opportunity to move in and overwhelm them while their friend(s) is gone, so that when they return, all they'll find is their friend's corpse.

Above all, just remember that the game is still in Alpha, and will likely go through many more changes, including in this area, before it's all done, so anything that happens now will likely only be temporary, at least in its current iteration.

Pay attention. If you get ghosted, sucks for you, but really, pay attention.

So yeah, deal with it.

That really is not a viable tip.

There is literally nothing the player can do to not get ghosted.

There is no indication sound when logging in, no log in warning when in close vicinity to a player, nothing at all.

Ghosting is just a by product of a broken hive system where every server shares characters.

This novel idea just leads to problems everything from server hopping to item dupping is partly a result of this bad game mechanic.

• Like 1

There is literally nothing the player can do to not get ghosted.

I've never been 'ghosted' but that's because I've adopted a playstyle to counter it whether I like playing this way or not.

I just set a goal to get in and out ASAP and if I lose contact with the guy I've been fighting I just GTFO.

Why are you talking about yourself?

Wow. Really? Very mature. What are you, 9 years old? Maybe you should log out and not come back until after puberty hits.

I love how, when someone puts up a valid post or starts a perfectly harmless thread, the forum mods and admins can't delete it or move it to the Graveyard fast enough, but when someone like this comes on and starts trolling, being rude and downright disrespectful to others, they don't seem to bat an eye. It kind of makes me wonder how many of them happened to be people I ran across in-game who shot me in the face as soon as I put my hand up in a friendly gesture and starting talking to them.

Wow. Really? Very mature. What are you, 9 years old? Maybe you should log out and not come back until after puberty hits.

I love how, when someone puts up a valid post or starts a perfectly harmless thread, the forum mods and admins can't delete it or move it to the Graveyard fast enough, but when someone like this comes on and starts trolling, being rude and downright disrespectful to others, they don't seem to bat an eye. It kind of makes me wonder how many of them happened to be people I ran across in-game who shot me in the face as soon as I put my hand up in a friendly gesture and starting talking to them.

You decided to reply to my post, not with an argument, but with "jackass". I treat you at the same level you treat me.

You decided to reply to my post, not with an argument, but with "jackass". I treat you at the same level you treat me.

Because there was nothing to argue; you made an idiotic statement that I supposedly think that rape is the fault of the women that are victimized, and I rightly called you a jackass for making such a moronic assumption. Anyone that makes such a statement is a complete dipshit devoid of any sense or intelligence; you fail to realize that me calling you a jackass was letting you off easy.

Implement a timer that wouldn't save your character's position unless 5 minutes have been spent on the server?

Because there was nothing to argue; you made an idiotic statement that I supposedly think that rape is the fault of the women that are victimized, and I rightly called you a jackass for making such a moronic assumption. Anyone that makes such a statement is a complete dipshit devoid of any sense or intelligence; you fail to realize that me calling you a jackass was letting you off easy.

No, you decided to be an internet tough guy because you couldn't find any real arguments against my parable. You are still doing this, by just saying that it is "such a moronic assumption". I see no arguments.

I have never said that it is the same thing. I am saying that the same principle is present. You accuse the victim of being the one responsible for the crime commited against him or her.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

No, you decided to be an internet tough guy because you couldn't find any real arguments against my parable. You are still doing this, by just saying that it is "such a moronic assumption". I see no arguments.

I have never said that it is the same thing. I am saying that the same principle is present. You accuse the victim of being the one responsible for the crime commited against him or her.

So, you want me to argue against the idea that I think rape is the fault of women who are victimized? OK then, fine: no, I don't think that rape is the fault of women who are victimized, because it's being done against their will, and they have done nothing to directly antagonize the aggressor into doing so. If they had, then they would be aware of and accept the risk of it happening, and would therefore be effectively consenting to it.

Happy now? And don't you DARE say that had nothing to do with what you're talking about, because it is in DIRECT response to your original post towards me:

I guess you think rape is womens' fault, too?

Also, don't try to tell me I'm missing the point, because I'm not; the principle is NOT the same, because one instance is a GROUP of people who (in a VIDEO GAME, mind you) decided to corner another group of people inside of a building, forcing the people inside to find a way out of the situation, which they apparently did by "ghosting". I said his group was at fault for getting "ghosted" because they didn't consider it a possibility (which is hard to believe considering he said it happens a lot) and therefore take precautions against it, such as keeping watch on their surroundings. The other instance is of some shitbag who decides to overpower someone and take advantage of them sexually in reality, possibly leaving behind emotional as well as physical wounds, not to mention a possible unwanted pregnancy that could have the very real possibility of being terminated early. I, for the love of God, cannot fathom how you could POSSIBLY consider those two situations to be ANYTHING alike. In my honest opinion, you would have to be very mentally unbalanced for that to occur.

Now, for the sake of all that is still good in this world, can an admin or mod PLEASE send this thread to rest.

grave.png

Keep your bickering out of these Forums.

The pair of you are suspended.

Topic closed.

• Like 1