Sign in to follow this  
HyperBeast

Heavy Armor

-Heavy Armor-

It would be pretty cool to add some heavy armor into the game. It would take up your backpack space, like the ghillie suit, and would probably make you run slower when they implement the new stamina system. The heavy armor would make you act like a juggernaut, impossible to kill. There would be weak spots that would easily kill the person. This heavy armor would be found only in heli-crashes and the chest plate itself will take up your backpack slot. There would be a helmet/neck guard, shoulder guard, arm guard/bracers, armored pants and maybe enlarged shoes. These pictures are ideas of what the "heavy armors" could look like. ENJOY~                                                                                                                    Images from: Metro: Last Light

Lighter variant: Front-View

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361858

Lighter Variant: Back-view

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361859

Heavier Variant: Back-view

http://www.gamearthub.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/203_max.jpg

Heavier Variant: Front-view

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361868

The heavy armor would make you act like a juggernaut, impossible to kill.

Not this way. That's completely stupid. There is no armor IRL which will make you invulnerable.

Plate carrier (12 kg) and anti-stab vest are already ingame so just wait till they will affect stamina.

• Like 1

The heavy armor would make you act like a juggernaut, impossible to kill

Like an EOD suit or an Exoskeleton?

I am getting hot

I am getting hot

I am getting hot

I am getting hot

I am dying of heat exhaustion

• Like 3

If the negatives of being able to soak up more damage balance it out, I'm not fully against the idea. I'm really not. But...I'm taking that idea with a whole pitcher of salt. 

I mean...I should actually start a proper topic about this later. I think I'll do that. Later. After I think about it. 

Do the Russians even have EOD suits like that?  Let me rephrase, would a backwater shithole like Chenarus have EOD suits like that?

• Like 2

Do the Russians even have EOD suits like that?

Of course yes. :)

Let me rephrase, would a backwater shithole like Chenarus have EOD suits like that?

Of course no. :)

• Like 1

yeah you'll want to wear you heavy armor till they add stamina  and those new zeds then you'll throw that shit on the ground real quick. and there is no body armor in the world that makes you impervious to death and yes its a game and it would be stupid. when you mentioned it i instantly thought of COD and got pissed.

• Like 1

Do the Russians even have EOD suits like that?  Let me rephrase, would a backwater shithole like Chenarus have EOD suits like that?

During the Soviet Afghan war suits like this were used but this and even the Advanced Bomb Suit (What American Police and military use for Bomb suits) aren't rated to resist gunshots. What can stop shrapnel and shockwave from harming the wearer won't stop gunshots like Call of Duty implies.

0_7d02b_ea0bc6aa_XL.jpg

• Like 2

Suits from a Scifi game and cod aren't needed. What OP should want to see is

Russian Maska Helmets

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/maska_helmet.jpg

American IOTV accessories like shoulder guards and crouch panels that could be attached to the plate carrier via MOLLE loops

http://www.scopeandlaser.com/files/mid/3626_0.jpg

And something like the datamined Knee and elbow guards

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w512/Mullraugh/tactical_elbow_knee_pads_black_540_zps54c7adad.jpg

Makeshift non standard protective suit that still allows for a choice of clothing underneath to suit personal taste and looks like something pieced together.

• Like 2

if chernarus has military bases then it would stand to reason they'd have some kind of military riot gear, no?

i would think that would make you tougher to die by zombie, but not bullet proof.

i would like to see some riot gear if only to help with zombie defense. even if it's 1 arm pad or shin pad or something. like a set you would have to complete (one piece each limb).

• Like 1

-Heavy Armor-

It would be pretty cool to add some heavy armor into the game. It would take up your backpack space, like the ghillie suit, and would probably make you run slower when they implement the new stamina system. The heavy armor would make you act like a juggernaut, impossible to kill. There would be weak spots that would easily kill the person. This heavy armor would be found only in heli-crashes and the chest plate itself will take up your backpack slot. There would be a helmet/neck guard, shoulder guard, arm guard/bracers, armored pants and maybe enlarged shoes. These pictures are ideas of what the "heavy armors" could look like. ENJOY~                                                                                                                    Images from: Metro: Last Light

Lighter variant: Front-View

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361858

Lighter Variant: Back-view

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361859

Heavier Variant: Back-view

http://www.gamearthub.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/203_max.jpg

Heavier Variant: Front-view

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=361868

this is a zombie survival game.

not arma.

• Like 1

Heli-crashes???

Doesn't fit the theme, really.

That being said, the guy that did these is awesome because those renders look really cool.

• Like 1

Heli-crashes???

Why would they be transporting an EOD suit/team via helicopter during a zombie outbreak?  Many have already said above, it won't protect very well against bullets, it's slow, hot, and unless it comes with a powered exoskeleton, once you get swarmed/knocked down you're fucked.  A suit of armor cannot protect against everything and still be viable to wear, otherwise we'd have soldiers in bombsuits on the front line, not relegating them to bomb disposal duty behind the lines or under heavy protection on the front.

• Like 2

Why would they be transporting an EOD suit/team via helicopter during a zombie outbreak?  Many have already said above, it won't protect very well against bullets, it's slow, hot, and unless it comes with a powered exoskeleton, once you get swarmed/knocked down you're fucked.  A suit of armor cannot protect against everything and still be viable to wear, otherwise we'd have soldiers in bombsuits on the front line, not relegating them to bomb disposal duty behind the lines or under heavy protection on the front.

well said lol but really even a decently priced motorcycle jacket and pants would be damn near zombie proof. cordura is tough stuff. especially the way they build a motorcycle jacket and pants.

not to mention those tough-duck construction jackets and coverall bibs/pants things. you see those everywhere on construction sites and even just contractors doing demo wear them. easily available at most work clothing places.

either way. i know if the zombie apocalypse was on hand. i'd still be able to move around just fine with my motorcycle gear and still be pretty well protected from bites and fingernails.

Sure, you can wear all that armor and stomp around town......while I wait for you to get exhausted and dehydrated, run up, break your legs, then slot a knife through the eye-slits in your helmet.

pffffttttt....armor. All the armor I need is some leather/denim (seriously, denim is actually pretty tough) to cover my forearms. Protects against bites, and can be used to deflect a blade. Couple that with proper concealment and cover, and that is all the armor you will ever need.

• Like 2

well said lol but really even a decently priced motorcycle jacket and pants would be damn near zombie proof. cordura is tough stuff. especially the way they build a motorcycle jacket and pants.

not to mention those tough-duck construction jackets and coverall bibs/pants things. you see those everywhere on construction sites and even just contractors doing demo wear them. easily available at most work clothing places.

either way. i know if the zombie apocalypse was on hand. i'd still be able to move around just fine with my motorcycle gear and still be pretty well protected from bites and fingernails.

Well that'd be true if these are the 'bitey' type of zombies.  These are more of the punchy type that occasionally bite.  It's like chainmail and plate armor.

Chainmail's good against stabs and slashes, against heavy blows, not so much.

Plate's good against most heavy blows, but not well placed stabs.

Sure, you can wear all that armor and stomp around town......while I wait for you to get exhausted and dehydrated, run up, break your legs, then slot a knife through the eye-slits in your helmet.

pffffttttt....armor. All the armor I need is some leather/denim (seriously, denim is actually pretty tough) to cover my forearms. Protects against bites, and can be used to deflect a blade. Couple that with proper concealment and cover, and that is all the armor you will ever need.

Make sure you're wearing the right mask when you do.

I agree that they arent really bitey type lol but even so, most motorbike gear has armor inserts in them and are padded for impact not just tears. Throw in the bike helmet and youre set. :)

I was simply implying that for the average zombie invasion i would think a bike suit would be ideal (strong, rip proof, breathable, fairly lightweight, weatherproof, and easier to find then a bomb disposal/riot gear type thing)

• Like 1

Well, did you guys even ever play the Metro series. You can tell that the heavy armor can really fit you well. The soldiers using the heavy armor are usually stood at a post with a flamethrower or mini-gun and spray the living crap out of their enemies while blocking that 7.62 caliber. It's made to occupy a space and stay there, not run around the whole god damn country. And if you're worried about exhaustion from running, they're obviously going to implement more vehicle transportation so it won't be a goddamn running simulator. So I think that the heavy armor is a good idea. Btw, why do you guys assume that I'm talking about some stupid bomb suit. I would've said that as my topic statement, but its not. If you look at the pictures, you can see plates of armor everywhere, giving you the invincible feeling. There are pros and cons for this suit. Pros: Impossible to kill (Exageration) Cons: Can't really move around too much. They could also take out sprinting if you're in the heavy armored suit.

Edited by HyperBeast

Well, did you guys even ever play the Metro series. You can tell that the heavy armor can really fit you well. The soldiers using the heavy armor are usually stood at a post with a flamethrower or mini-gun and spray the living crap out of their enemies while blocking that 7.62 caliber. It's made to occupy a space and stay there, not run around the whole god damn country. And if you're worried about exhaustion from running, they're obviously going to implement more vehicle transportation so it won't be a goddamn running simulator. So I think that the heavy armor is a good idea. Btw, why do you guys assume that I'm talking about some stupid bomb suit. I would've said that as my topic statement, but its not. If you look at the pictures, you can see plates of armor everywhere, giving you the invincible feeling. There are pros and cons for this suit. Pros: Impossible to kill (Exageration) Cons: Can't really move around too much. They could also take out sprinting if you're in the heavy armored suit.

But...why would you wear it? 

None of the weapons in Metro 2033 were 7.62x39mm. The shotguns used 12G buckshot, which is notably bad at penetrating armor, and the rifles used 5.45x39mm, reloaded with shittier lower-grade powder (which is why the "dirty" rounds in-game suck so much compared to the MGR).

The suits are hot, heavy, and really useless at defending against anything more powerful than 5.56mm. Will a 7.62x39mm penetrate the suit? In all seriousness, probably, but let us pretend it doesn't. You still feel the force of the bullet. So, you are walking down the street wearing your super-fuck-awesome suit of armor, and someone jumps out from an alley with an SKS. You take three rounds to the torso, which breaks your ribs, ruptures some organs, knocks the wind out of you, and causes you to fall over from pain and surprise. When you fall over, the assailant casually strolls up and finishes you with one to the head.

Even if the armor was capable of stopping rounds with no other "effects", there is a thing called "tactics" that comes into play. SO, you stand there in your super-fuck-awesome armor, casually spraying ammo from an LMG (not paying attention to your round usage, tut tut). The enemy keeps you occupied from the front, and sends a compatriot to flank you from the side. They push you over, then put one in your head.

No. Armor like this is stupid for this type of gameplay. Defending against hordes of mutants (with ZERO ranged weapons, might I add) in a subway tunnel where you can't be flanked? Excellent

Defending from other thinking humans (with ranged weapons that can easily defeat the suit, might I add), in an urban environment that requires 100% situational awareness and reaction times? Not excellent.

• Like 1

So, you are walking down the street wearing your super-fuck-awesome suit of armor, and someone jumps out from an alley with an SKS. You take three rounds to the torso, which breaks your ribs, ruptures some organs, knocks the wind out of you, and causes you to fall over from pain and surprise. When you fall over, the assailant casually strolls up and finishes you with one to the head.

This is a slight exaggeration. Small arms to a level IV plate will knock you down, crack ribs, cause severe bruising, but it's not going to rupture your organs. That's what the shockwave from an explosion does.

Defending from other thinking humans (with ranged weapons that can easily defeat the suit, might I add), in an urban environment that requires 100% situational awareness and reaction times? Not excellent.

You wear the body armor to survive gunshots to the chest. If it was as ineffective as you implied it wouldn't see common use as it does. From what I read up on, STSh-81 SPHERA helmets like the ones used in Metro 2033 can take are better beating than western counter parts like the MICH and ACH helmets. In this video we can see what they can take at close range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVv4RGC6kQ

You bet your ass I would wear one of those if I was entering a place where I could get slotted for sport.

As far as plate carriers:

Not only does he get up after taking a rifle round to the chest, he remains mobile and can take cover.

Edited by Dale Gribble

None of the weapons in Metro 2033 were 7.62x39mm. The shotguns used 12G buckshot, which is notably bad at penetrating armor, and the rifles used 5.45x39mm, reloaded with shittier lower-grade powder (which is why the "dirty" rounds in-game suck so much compared to the MGR).

The suits are hot, heavy, and really useless at defending against anything more powerful than 5.56mm. Will a 7.62x39mm penetrate the suit? In all seriousness, probably, but let us pretend it doesn't. You still feel the force of the bullet. So, you are walking down the street wearing your super-fuck-awesome suit of armor, and someone jumps out from an alley with an SKS. You take three rounds to the torso, which breaks your ribs, ruptures some organs, knocks the wind out of you, and causes you to fall over from pain and surprise. When you fall over, the assailant casually strolls up and finishes you with one to the head.

Even if the armor was capable of stopping rounds with no other "effects", there is a thing called "tactics" that comes into play. SO, you stand there in your super-fuck-awesome armor, casually spraying ammo from an LMG (not paying attention to your round usage, tut tut). The enemy keeps you occupied from the front, and sends a compatriot to flank you from the side. They push you over, then put one in your head.

No. Armor like this is stupid for this type of gameplay. Defending against hordes of mutants (with ZERO ranged weapons, might I add) in a subway tunnel where you can't be flanked? Excellent

The thing is, why would you have such a rare suit and go along the towns by yourself, it's really stupid. Honestly, all you have to do is stay at a high-pop area, stay at a building and guard it. Again, the suit isn't made so you can run about why yourself for countless hours. Its made so you can protect yourself and your buddies from large gunfights. 

OP...suits like your describing do not exist outside of video games, especially if they're 'not bomb suits' as you claim.  You're not going to find a suit like that sitting on a military base or a police station.  The devs are trying for realism (or authenticity, I forget what code word they used last).  Yes that's kind of a silly thing in a zombie survival game, but at least the zombies (as intended) are possible in real life (even though not likely to happen).

Guy makes a suit that can survive a bear attack in his garage?  Yeah, ONE prototype (in Oregon I might add), spray em with an AK or set him on fire and see how long that lasts.  Russians equipped with heavy bullet resistant helmets?  Again, set them on fire or sneak up on them with a knife and see how long that lasts.  Guy robbing a bank with a stolen EOD suit?  Ram him with a car and see if he gets up and you're a cop and there's probably news crews around recording so you can't really set him on fire...

Let me put it to you this way:

Pros: Being slightly harder to kill with a gun or melee weapon

Cons: Having to make one from scratch; not being able to go faster than a walk; not being able to carry much; limited vision; limited hearing; limited dexterity; not being able to get up if knocked down; being highly likely to suffer from heat exhaustion/hypertherima; and many more.

I see a LOT of things there that's counterproductive to surviving on that list.

EDIT: To add on to that since your last post, say you did have this mythical suit and you were rolling around with your team.  Are they gonna wait for your slow ass to get to the airstrip?  The squad is only as fast as its slowest member, even if you're using a truck to get around you still need to get out and waddle with the ground pounders.  And if I saw a guy in heavy armor in a group, I'd pick off the guys not in armor and sneak away into the tree line, leaving armor boy all by himself in the middle of an airfield.

Edited by BigMike