vfxtodd

New to DayZ...

Getting a new pc tomorrow. Can't wait to start playing DayZ.

...how do I punch? How do I raise hand to wave? How do I give the "bird" (middle finger)?

I found a link to the DayZ keyboard shortcuts. But it doesn't show everything. If there is any other advice I should know please post it here.

Thanks in advance. :)

You can view and edit all of the key bindings in the user interface.

...how do I punch? How do I raise hand to wave? How do I give the "bird" (middle finger)?

I found a link to the DayZ keyboard shortcuts. But it doesn't show everything. If there is any other advice I should know please post it here.

If you have ever played on a console, I can personally show you how to use one to play DayZ. with ALL controls.

You punch by pressing space to raise your hands and left mouse click to punch.

You wave by pressing F1. All other keys up to F11 give some form of social action or stance.

Edited by Calvin Candie

Thanks everyone. "Patiently" waiting for my pc to arrive. Hahaha. First thing...install DayZ and play.

The first thing you should do in DayZ is die. Get it out of your system and get used to it, it'll likely happen a lot as you're learning the ropes. Trust noone... but if you do find someone you can trust that's a good day - but don't forget not to trust them anyway.

Thanks, Death. How do I aim down sights? I found keyboard shortcuts but nothing on ADS.

I'll be on DayZ today as soon as my pc arrives. Will try to record my play and upload to YouTube. My channel is VFXtodd.

Oh more young'ns :)

I see you in my mind's eye, frolicking down the street, picking up zucchinis and thinking you're the luckiest man in the world.  Then someone comes and breaks your legs with a steel pipe and you're forced to roll and crawl to the nearest multistorey appartment and throw yourself from it.

Hope you enjoy DayZ, and take every encounter with a human as an extremely risky and potentially life threatening experience.

Enjoy :)

Ah yes, and as per above, check out the key bindings in the options menu, everything you will ever need is in there.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Just hooked up my new Alienware x51...and I'm downloading DayZ as I type this from my iPhone 6.

Yea, I'm ready to die. Haha. I've watched tons of DayZ videos on YouTube so I'm sorta prepared of what to expect. My main concern is getting around, learning the DayZ landscape. Etc

You might find this image useful. Some of the keys and key actions are redundant, but this is the gist of what you're going for. You're going to be using your mousewheel more than you think - it'll be how you scroll through and select different action in game.

And like what Calvin Candie said, all the player motions, such as flipping off and waving hello, is all done with your F keys, F1 to F11.

VZFaO3M.jpg

Edited by Pinkintron

this is gunna be fun to fallow for awhile

You should aways stealth mate, lower stances are your friend (crawling helps A LOT) and choose wisely when to sprint, or be ready to get killed by players every big town you get in. I would recomend you to know the layout of the most important towns and miitary bases, this way you will know better camping/sniping spots and how to avoid/use them. AWAYS plan, you gotta have a plan to get in the city, get the fuck out of the city, cross the street, go to the next house etc, you gotta think foward man. You should imo play in high pop servers and get usued to how players behave in different places.

Against zeds, get their attack timing and strafe when they windup their attack. If you do it right and there is no fps drop/lag, you can take 3+ zeds at the same time without getting hurt. This is only possible if you have decent melee weapon, so thats your priority as you spawn imo. That and food/drink of course. Every weapon that has axe in the name is good, farming hoe is also decent, sledgehammer... Avoid pitchfork, seriously you will get rekt by zombies trying to use that shit the animations are so bad its not even funny.

Melee in this game works differently then in most games, you gotta aim with the swing animation, not with your crosshair. You will deal damage where the swing hits, so be carefull using big weapons in closed places.

You will see man, once you start playing there is just a lot of things to do and think about, its very fun to be new in this game.

Edited by Avant-Garde

No no no, stop helping this guy. He needs to learn on his own, with his alienware X51 and iPhone 6.

Press space to toggle raise your fists, left click to punch, and while your fists are raised press f4 to flip people the bird. With fists down f4 makes a heart. Knowing the difference will be life and death,