Sign in to follow this  
Lunatic_fringe420

Best tactic in dealing with zombies?

I'm very new to this game and pc gaming, so I'm having some difficulty evading the zombies.

So please reply with your personal tactics in evading these undead fools.

I just sidestep around them swinging the hatchet towards their head. Very efficient.

Try to circle around them, and if your melee is slow, circle around then while stopping sometimes and starting again, timing yourself with the infected' swing.

You see I've heard killing them is useless and just to run. But then again I was told climb a ladder , and I did that in Elektro, but thee was a staircase and the zombie brought friends. Thanks for the melee tips. Counterclockwise work best?

You see I've heard killing them is useless and just to run. But then again I was told climb a ladder , and I did that in Elektro, but thee was a staircase and the zombie brought friends. Thanks for the melee tips. Counterclockwise work best?

Correct, they can not currently climb ladders. They don't tend to have any trouble with stairs, though.

It's no problem killing then, but you will want to leave the area before they respawn. Also, you'll want to kill them quietly, lest you attract the attention of others.

I doubted they were capable of going into the building I climbed and finding the stairs, then running up them and finally bum rushing me from behind as I loot the rooftop. I turned and the single zombie that was chasing me had three friends with him.

Just circle around it counter-clockwise, and keep on hitting him. Try to get some headshots if possible.

Edited by Kirby12352

Doesn't using a gun trigger more of them to spawn around you as well? Either way if you use a gun around them and don't move, like far away they just keep coming and coming. 

Closing doors with them behind it often worked last i played or if theres a nice dowhill area kite them down it, they often kill themselves

If you have a reasonable melee weapon kill them.  If not, run and evade.

Decent melee weapons include - fire axe, splitting axe, hatchet, ice pick, sledgehammer, pick axe.  These are the only ones that definitely work for me, other people may have success with other weapons, but I always struggle with anything not listed here.  To attack them simply stand still facing them with your weapon raised as they approach you..  Just before they reach you they will usually lunge\jump - sidestep them so they pass by and then turn to face them again.  They will turn and walk a step or two back towards you - at this point swing your weapon at them, remembering that it is the arc of the weapon that determines where it will hit, not the white dot in the middle of your screen.  A common mistake is to aim low because you are using 3PP view (which encourages a more downward looking apsect) but a head hit is way more effective so either us 1PP view for melee or just practice aiming higher.  

Guns are a bad idea because they make a lot of noise which attracts every infected within miles and, even worse, other players.  However, it is incredibly satisfying to stand in a town square with a shotgun wasting infected by the dozen.

If you chose to run the trick is to break line of sight.  When they lose LoS they will stop and go into hunt mode - if they cannot see you they will use audio to try and hunt you.  You can try slowing down and creeping but I prefer to just keep running and rely on continually breaking LoS until they are so far away that I get away.  Using low fences helps a lot as they cannot jump and have to go around them.  However, always be careful to make 100% sure that you've definitely lost an infected before you drop your guard.  I've been sorting out my inventory in a forest 3 minutes after leaving a town, having thought I had lost my pursuer, when they've finally caught up with me.  Scared the hell out of me...

Edit - for me at least, doors and walls are no guarantee of safety - infected regularly glitch or phase through them - be warned...

Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 2

strafing when the zombie starts it's attack animation followed by a well aimed blow to the head works well enough for me, then keep bashing the head when it's down if it's not kill yet.  but i i admit i also struggled with it when i first got the game. you kindof need to develop a 'feel' for it to know where to aim. the distance from you to the zombie is very important, calculate the length of your weapon into your distance from the target or the hit might not register if you strike with the wooden part of a shovel for example

what penguin said about breaking lign of sight also works very well :) i suggest next time you spawn fresh you waste a character or 2 just punching things in the head for fun and practice :)

• Like 1

:) i suggest next time you spawn fresh you waste a character or 2 just punching things in the head for fun and practice :)

Totally this. When I started playing the game that's what I did and got it done right. You will get confident rather quickly with zeds..

Yes - the zomb has to face you before it tries to hit you, so keep moving at an angle across the way its facing - it has to turn to face you again before it can hit - keep circling, or run diagonally across away from its direction of aim; diagonally towards it, and hit it as you go past. Stay in close, keep moving sideways around it. AND look out for another coming up behind you.. The suggestion to spend a few lives fighting zombies is a good idea. You can hit them with your bare fist in the head (with your fist aim just at the very top of their head.. about the last hair up, to hit the head). hitti,ng the body is no good. when they fall down, stand over them and punch them in the face a lot till theyre dead, otherwise they just stand up again 10 seconds later.

Be aware that they can hit you from pretty far away - a lot further than you expect at first.. so even running away from them in a straight line is likely to get you hit from behind.

A lot of people say first-person view is the best way to fight zombies, but that doesn't work for me, another zomb I havent seen usually hits me from behind.

**My one tip** (I use all the time) to get away.. is move your "interact" key onto your mousewheel press button. Then if you run into a house, you can open and shut the doors real fast while you are also changing direction.

Usually zombs cant get through a closed door -  but if it's just shutting - or sometimes completely closed from the start,  the zomb may come through anyway. Also if you are close to the wall of a house, with a zombie raving outside, they can sometimes hit you through the wall.. so look out for those things.

Practice, like everyone says - spend some lives - find out what melee weapons are good and how to hit right with them - I've seen players who can take down 3 or 4 (or more) zombies with their bare fists without a scratch - Every Time. - to them, zombies are just a joke. 

When zombs hit you (if they dont kill you or break your leg), they usually rip up your pants the worst (first) - most stuff in your pants pockets is then ruined, so try not to keep any important things in there if you can. It's a pisser to win a zombie fight and try to bandage, and find out all your rags are ruined, and you have to try find more before you bleed to death.. (you can use your own t-shirt to make rags of course. I do that as soon as I arrive on the beach.)

Always carry 6 rags, never less, to bandage with. or 2 rolls of bandage. replace them as soon as you can, always have plenty.. Get away from the zombs before you start bandaging, you can bleed for quite a while before you have to panic about it. If you bandage too soon, they come right back and get you and it takes you too long to get back into fighting stance, so you usually get hurt more.

You know how to make splints, and tear up t-shirts to make rags, I guess?

enjoy

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

ps - The hockey stick is good for zombies.Because it swings sideways, you have to almost go past them and swing as you are nearly shoulder to shoulder with them, and just far enough apart. KO when you get the knack. This works on other players too (heh).

Also you can kill zombies with a screwdriver - it does a straight-front stab, so you just stab them in the head.

so there's examples of a sideswing weapon and a front stab weapon.. two different ways of moving - it's up to you to find out which weapon suits you best.

For instance, I thought (once) a pitchfork would be great against zombs, but then when I tried, the pitchfork swings sideways instead of stabbing (crazy!).. so I died..had an epic fight with 4 zombies, every time I knocked one down, I had to deal with the others before I could kill it, and it would stand up again.. that went on for quite a while.. but at last I died anyway.. ok, so now I know the pitchfork is not so hot. ( hmm..  if you were fighting with a pitchfork, would you really try to club someone with it ? )

xx

Edited by pilgrim