Wookieenoob

thoughts on loot spawns / volume of drinking swigs

i'm going to start by asking what's in your house. don't answer obviously. 

if chernarus is a 2015 area then we can probably expect people living there before the apocalypse would have the same amount of "stuff" comparatively. 

following on from that, i'd like to point out that putting things in strange places so they're harder to find doesn't necessarily make the experience more organic. less-so, if i'm honest. i mean think about it. if you have no clothing other than ONE PAIR OF TROUSERS you're not going to keep it on top of your wardrobe.

is the idea supposed to be that even if the area is unlooted "people" have been through before? because if it's not then the whole idea of loot in most houses makes no sense. if it spawns with all doors closed the house should have enough stuff in it for the people who lived in it, right? some of it might be completely ruined but it should be there..?

i'd suggest having some houses "pristine" just like equipment. they have all the loot the people who were living in the house had.

comparatively, some houses should spawn with less loot or no loot at all, with corresponding open doors at spawn.

the current random random spawn system works fine for military locations and sheds etc since nobody specifically lived there.

another thing that seems strange is that there are a lot of factories with nothing of what they were producing lying around. surely they should be stocked with stacks of a particular item? could say exactly the same for shipping containers.  

i've noticed that when sipping from a 1L bottle it's almost impossible to stay hydrated without drinking the whole bottle.

infact, if you're thirsty you have to drink 3-4 liters to become hydrated, when recommended daily intake of water is like 2L right? 

imho sip isn't right at the moment, at least not from the 1L bottle. (50ml for 1 sip. keeps you hydrated for under a minute of movement, effectively means you need to sip constantly.) 

Edited by Wookieenoob

Well, if a zombie apocalypse happened where you live, would you leave all of your clothes behind? Or leave you doors open?

Well, if a zombie apocalypse happened where you live, would you leave all of your clothes behind? Or leave you doors open?

what if you were out when the apocalypse happened and couldn't get back? or if the apocalypse was a biological weapon (method of infection wasn't specified afaik)

Edited by Wookieenoob

infact, if you're thirsty you have to drink 3-4 liters to become hydrated, when recommended daily intake of water is like 2L right? 

There are two ways to look at the system of hydration and consumption right now...

1) Food is very effective, but must be made rarer as a result.

2) Food is not very effective, but there is more of it around.

Each one of these has its merits, yes. But...without a proper persistent loot spawning and re-spawning mechanic, the way the current system is that almost all servers use, which is a replenishing of all loot upon a restart, normally this means that the first person in a house gets all the goodies, and if you're second...that's too bad. Entire towns can be looted bare by a couple players of anything useful and it won't replenish itself until a server restart. 

The reason that Option 1 isn't being used, I think, is because you would have a few amount of players with all the food they could ever eat and excess in their inventories...and everybody else starving because they didn't get there first. Option 2 is simply more appropriate for having a large amount of players sharing the same amount of currently limited resources in Chernarus, especially since spawning takes place in a relatively condensed area of the map.

Of course, this game isn't finished, so whether you know it or not, we are all testing this mechanic right now in order to find the sweet spot of food spawning/consumption rates. 

yeah you see i think it's more of a mix at the moment.

food is very effective and is all over the place.

i'm talking about specificly maintaining hydration with a 1l water bottle.

if i eat enough to get energised i usually don't need to eat for like an hour or two. having a backpack full of food is meaningless at that point. 

it almost wasn't my point that there should be more loot around, more that the distribution of "a little loot here" doesn't make much sense. 

with the water it was essentially just the volume i was talking about. if i drink a full liter of water i should be hydrated. if i drink two i should be long hydrated. if i drink three or four i should like, throw up. 

if i drink 50ml of water i should at least quench my thirst.

this is all because of the stupid system they put in based on very high numbers for food, blood etc and never changed. (IE blood 12000 and hydration 0-2500 or so)

Edited by Wookieenoob

i'm talking about specificly maintaining hydration with a 1l water bottle...

with the water it was essentially just the volume i was talking about. if i drink a full liter of water i should be hydrated. if i drink two i should be long hydrated. if i drink three or four i should like, throw up...

if i drink 50ml of water i should at least quench my thirst...

In the last update 0.53 the hydration system changed I comically drank 4 gas containers full of water before I got neon green hydrated.

it almost wasn't my point that there should be more loot around, more that the distribution of "a little loot here" doesn't make much sense...

I have found huge loot caches before where there are literally hundreds of items in one room. I always considered this a loot spawn bug however in your reasoning it actually could make sense.

In the last update 0.53 the hydration system changed I comically drank 4 gas containers full of water before I got neon green hydrated.

I have found huge loot caches before where there are literally hundreds of items in one room. I always considered this a loot spawn bug however in your reasoning it actually could make sense.

i think it'd be TOTALLY fine to have an occasional locker full of mosins or something. or at an unlooted police station a stacked shelf with shotguns. obviously they'd be hidden, but people do have hidden armories and junk. 

i don't think weapons should just spawn randomly on the floor though (guns)

how would they reasonably get there? who's going to casually put their mosin on the floor and walk out of the house? 

and yeah like that thread said i still see zombies going through walls and stuff. they don't seem any different from the mod several years ago. 

what's strange is that drinking 4x 150ml bottles of alcohol tincture filled from a pump seems to have the same effect as FOUR LITERS, or more according to that post (since the gas cannister is like 5l?) 

as a note on weapons, i always found it weird that they NEVER spawn with magazines, and always with the same attachments. that should all be random, and so should the weapons condition. i never see weapons go under pristine unless my clothing gets ruined. is that even intended? weapon cleaning kits are useless. 

Edited by Wookieenoob

i've noticed that when sipping from a 1L bottle it's almost impossible to stay hydrated without drinking the whole bottle.

imho sip isn't right at the moment, at least not from the 1L bottle. (50ml for 1 sip. keeps you hydrated for under a minute of movement, effectively means you need to sip constantly.)

In fact your body could use half a liter to survive  daily(If you were a vegetable in the shelf of course) ,  dayz characters run all the day unless you are camping, and even if you r camping you would swet, so do poeple doind exersise that can  drink 10 liters no problem and not even going to pee , cuz all the water went to cooling the body .

Edited by LanceroxD

In fact your body could use half a liter to survive  daily(If you were a vegetable in the shelf of course) ,  dayz characters run all the day unless you are camping, and even if you r camping you would swet, so do poeple doind exersise that can  drink 10 liters no problem and not even going to pee , cuz all the water went to cooling the body .

not hourly though, and not all at once. 

I've found that eating certain foods really helps with hydration (more so than water). Soda also seems to help hydration, at least for my characters pretty well. foods like canned peaches, canned tuna and sardines and all the fresh fruits help really well with hydration.

I though you were ideally supposed to drink something like 8 liters a day? I don't drink water because fish f*** in it but I routinely drink 4-5 liters of "sports drink" just in between the time I get off work and the time I get up in the morning pounding a whole 750ml  bottle after using the bathroom 3 or 4 time a night on my way back to bed even. That's over 14 or so hours though so the game requirements right now seem a bit much though.   

You are supposed to drink about 2 liters of water a day if you do nothing else than laze about on your ass.

Running around, carrying equipment, up and down hills all day. 8 liters easy, AT LEAST.

I've climbed mountains before, and generally I aim to drink at least 1 liter of water for every hour of climbing. If I need to drink more, I drink more. Yes, you piss a lot. You are supposed to: that is how hydration works. If you don't piss clear/slightly-yellow at least once every hour (depending on activity, temperature, etc), you aren't drinking enough, simple as that.

The hydration mechanic in Day Z is working fine, from a realism standpoint. If anything, jack up the hydration requirements even higher, and make pond, stream and standing water not safe to drink from. Also, remove 95% of the pumps in Chernarus. There is no reason to include water purification tabs, boiling water and such if there is perfectly safe drinking water every 5 minutes.

I want people to be dying from dehydration and water-borne diseases.

on the subject of loot, i've seen a lot of conflicting information around about how loot works. as far as i knew loot only respawned at server start, but after having read some stuff about persistance on servers it seems that loot can respawn.

is there any solid, current information on how this works? 

I don't drink water because fish f*** in it but I routinely drink 4-5 liters of "sports drink" 

Brawndo, the thirst mutilator!  It's what plants crave!

• Like 1

Brawndo, the thirst mutilator!  It's what plants crave!

It's got electrolytes!

It's got electrolytes!

Wouldn't it add so much more depth to the survival aspect of the game if you had to maintain a good electrolyte balance too?  I kinda hope they don't add that.

Wouldn't it add so much more depth to the survival aspect of the game if you had to maintain a good electrolyte balance too?  I kinda hope they don't add that.

I thought that's what the the weapon swap lag was there to simulate, like when I'm all sweated out at work and my hands start "death gripping" tools until I pry it of withe the other one. That's actually why I drink so much Gatorade because I have some electrolyte deficiency that causes muscle spasms and cramping.   

Hydration is pretty broken in 0.53 in my view. Unless you're prepared to pull the F11 trick, the only way to get hydrated is by drinking full canteen after full canteen.

Hydration is pretty broken in 0.53 in my view. Unless you're prepared to pull the F11 trick, the only way to get hydrated is by drinking full canteen after full canteen.

actually i found that tincture bottles filled with water have the same effect as the 1L bottle for half the space, so you can carry two for one.

i got hydrated from thirsty from drinking 600ml, compared to the 4000ml i drank with PET bottle.

yet the 50ml swigs are just as useless on both

#persistant

Edited by Wookieenoob
  • Like 1