Jonah_Hobbes

jumping off a deerstand

should not result in a broken leg. Even in my mid forties and being temporarily out of shape if I jumped off something that was two meters high I would not break my leg.

Yeah fall damage is inconsistant and just plain wrong at the moment but I'm hopeful it will be adjusted soon (not sure why it hasn't yet)  Jumped off one of the apartment complexes the other day and took no damage at all.

Yeah fall damage is inconsistant and just plain wrong at the moment but I'm hopeful it will be adjusted soon (not sure why it hasn't yet)  Jumped off one of the apartment complexes the other day and took no damage at all.

haha! Really? that's funny

I doubt you'd be okay if you jumped off a deer stand carrying a rifle, a vest stuffed with mags, and a backpack loaded down with two childrens' worth of weight.

• Like 4

I doubt you'd be okay if you jumped off a deer stand carrying a rifle, a vest stuffed with mags, and a backpack loaded down with two childrens' worth of weight.

This.

Yes, you'll be fine jumping off it and having your hands free with no additional weight on you. But a 2m drop with possibly a rifle in your hand as well as a lot of other stuff you're carrying will have dramatic effects.

I wasn't geared. I was a new spawn. My fully geared toon got wiped by I'm guessing a patch update? 

Not played in awhile due to Warthunder and Middle Earth but DayZ always pulls me back eventually.

• Like 1

Last autumn I jumped down about a meter and a half, because I had deluded myself into thinking I was 18 years old again and I didn't want to walk several extra meters around the obstacle.

On my way down the 15 extra years and 15 extra kilos came back to me, and I hurt my back and had to lie down on it for the whole day.

I could barely move, I'm not kidding you.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

Last autumn I jumped down about about a meter and a half, because I had deluded myself into thinking I was 18 years old again and I didn't want to walk several extra meters around the obstacle.

On my way down the 15 extra years and 15 extra kilos came back to me, and I hurt my back and had to lie down on it for a whole day.

No and I've seen a pissed up guy jump 3 meters and f$ck his ankle up for the rest of his life. But I'm thinking our toon is young, can run all day, is hyper due to washing up on a shore with infected humans. I reckon he would take care jumping down such a small height.

Maybe if there was (or maybe there is correct me pls) an in between damage state (ie. sprained ankle) that could randomly hit you from jumping down distances such as this? Instead of just flat out breaking your leg.  I am with Max tho lol 2 years ago I recall jumping down no farther than a meter and pinching a nerve in my back putting me down for a day or 2, and this is being active every day and in decent shape.

should not result in a broken leg. Even in my mid forties and being temporarily out of shape if I jumped off something that was two meters high I would not break my leg.

You do realize that you can snap your femur stepping off a roadside curb wrong, right?

A 10 foot fall is likely to cause strain to the ligaments and tendons in your leg (read: sprained/strained ankle/knee)

A 15 foot fall is likely to break one of your legs.

And this is all when you don't have 40 lbs of equipment on you.

There is an old wilderness saying: Don't step over what you can step on, and don't step on what you can step around.

I, for one, would love it if there was a mechanic implemented where if you run on anything other than flat terrain (read: a road), you had a chance of tripping, falling, and spraining/breaking something. IRL, only a dumbass sprints across a grassy,root-covered field, or down a root-strewn hill full tilt.

Edited by Whyherro123

You do realize that you can snap your femur stepping off a roadside curb wrong, right?

A 10 foot fall is likely to cause strain to the ligaments and tendons in your leg (read: sprained/strained ankle/knee)

Yes but this is a fall not a deliberate jump off of something, these are 2 very different things.

I'd get it if age was part of the toons make up. Generally though I reckon the toon is in his early 20's and hyped.  When I was that age I did many stupid things and did not break anything nor did my mates. We jumped off all sort of shit.

Yes but this is a fall not a deliberate jump off of something, these are 2 very different things.

Still possible to damage something. Twist the wrong way upon landing, and you fuck something up.

I'd get it if age was part of the toons make up. Generally though I reckon the toon is in his early 20's and hyped.  When I was that age I did many stupid things and did not break anything nor did my mates. We jumped off all sort of shit.

Then you and your friends got lucky. I have a friend that jumped off the bed of a pickup (about 3 feet or so off the ground) and twisted his knee slightly upon landing. Instead of transferring the force of impact from his body to the ground (by bending the knee), he transferred all the force into his knee (or so he told me, from what the doctors told him). His kneecap ended up on the side of his knee, and he still has to walk with a cane.

I agree that naked toons should be able to withstand a little bit steeper of a drop and do feel as though there should be some balance to fall damage in relation to weight.  If it's not already in the works. If it is, ignore me, I'm just a dingus.

Last autumn I jumped down about a meter and a half, because I had deluded myself into thinking I was 18 years old again and I didn't want to walk several extra meters around the obstacle.

On my way down the 15 extra years and 15 extra kilos came back to me, and I hurt my back and had to lie down on it for the whole day.

Jump with the legs, not with the back.  

There is an old wilderness saying: Don't step over what you can step on, and don't step on what you can step around.

I, for one, would love it if there was a mechanic implemented where if you run on anything other than flat terrain (read: a road), you had a chance of tripping, falling, and spraining/breaking something. IRL, only a dumbass sprints across a grassy,root-covered field, or down a root-strewn hill full tilt.

I am a very successful dumbass.  But only because I've learned to quickly drop my fishing poles and roll it out if I trip.  Recently traded out my old fishing vest--stuffed with about 6 Kg of lures--for a shoulder bag, to avoad those uncomfortable balance situations while rock-hopping rivers.  Weight distribution matters a good deal, but I'm not sure if that will make it into the game.  Running down a hill with a hunting backpack full of guns, ammunition, water, and canned food should definitely pose a hazard of a downhill face-plant in game.

Edited by emuthreat

Jump with the legs, not with the back.  

I am a very successful dumbass.  But only because I've learned to quickly drop my fishing poles and roll it out if I trip.  Recently traded out my old fishing vest--stuffed with about 6 Kg of lures--for a shoulder bag, to avoad those uncomfortable balance situations while rock-hopping rivers.  Weight distribution matters a good deal, but I'm not sure if that will make it into the game.  Running down a hill with a hunting backpack full of guns, ammunition, water, and canned food should definitely pose a hazard of a downhill face-plant in game.

Falling onto a vest full of hooks sounds like an awesome weekend.

Falling onto a vest full of hooks sounds like an awesome weekend.

I keep everything in hard cases, or plastic envelopes, lol.  I have more problems with single lures in small outer pockets for easy changing.  They poke through the pocket a bit and may snag my sleeve while casting.  My point was that a compact bag, rather than a vest, is easier to maneuver on very rough terrain.  Falling happens, I've lost count of how many time I've buried one leg up to the hip, by walking on undercut streambanks and fallen trees overgrown with grass and duff.  Definitely more comfortable falling down with a bag the size of an ATV battery, than a vest full of junk I rarely used.

The vests in game should have a bit of a balance/mobility downside, if they are going for realism.  But I'm pretty sure people would be pissed if a hi-cap vest caused you to roll down a hill and stab yourself in the armpit because of the improvised knife in the jacket pocket.  That may be just a bit too much realism.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

Personally contrary to popular opinion,falling damage is something i wouldn't care to be spot on 100% realistic.

I think there's room for some "exaggeration" don't you think?

Jumping from the height of deerstands and "ladder towers" shouldn't kill you or break your legs even with heavy gear.

I personally think everyone will benefit from this,as it would subdue all the hate from the times when falling 3 feet on our deaths due to clucky controls and desync.

Personally contrary to popular opinion,falling damage is something i wouldn't care to be spot on 100% realistic.

I think there's room for some "exaggeration" don't you think?

Jumping from the height of deerstands and "ladder towers" shouldn't kill you or break your legs even with heavy gear.

I personally think everyone will benefit from this,as it would subdue all the hate from the times when falling 3 feet on our deaths due to clucky controls and desync.

The instant death or broken legs is a bit overboard from somewhat short falls.  Treestands aren't that tall at all, but the military guard towers are right at the edge of serious injury territory.  Lets just assume all the avatars know how to take a fall with minimal injuries.  Maybe anything less than 4-5, but more than 2 meters high would result in "my body hurts all over" status messages, and a 30% drop in mobility for a few minutes.  That would make daring escapes a bit less rewarding for people who don't have someone to cover them or a well-planned escape route.