I killed a deer yesterday and decided to eat some today since I was getting hungry. The deer meat was prestine so I ate some. Then I tried to cook some in a fireplace but they got ruined in less than 5 seconds in the fire and couldn't eat it. I got sick and started feeling nausea after 3mins of eating the pristine meat (not cooked). Are we able to eat animal meat in game without getting sick? If so how? And how do I get cured from being sick? I took some vitamins from a vitami bottle but I don't think that helped as I continued to get sick.

• Like 1

Come on lads, can't some of you experts give our friend some of your worldly advice on best ways to sort out this meat cooking problem?  :thumbsup:

I killed a deer yesterday and decided to eat some today since I was getting hungry. The deer meat was prestine so I ate some. Then I tried to cook some in a fireplace but they got ruined in less than 5 seconds in the fire and couldn't eat it. I got sick and started feeling nausea after 3mins of eating the pristine meat (not cooked). Are we able to eat animal meat in game without getting sick? If so how? And how do I get cured from being sick? I took some vitamins from a vitami bottle but I don't think that helped as I continued to get sick.

You will need a cooking pot to cook the meat. A furnace will cook it faster than a normal fire.

• Like 1

Put on subtitles for more lulz

You will need a cooking pot to cook the meat. A furnace will cook it faster than a normal fire.

You have the Greatest profile pic ever :)  What a face ..

• Like 2

Eating raw meat without charcoal tablets is pretty much instant death if you don't get treated within the next 5 minutes or so. Next time live off of canned foods and fruits if  you have to until you have the necessary tools to prepare for stuff like that.

Eating raw meat of any type in this game is a BIG no no and is always a very very very low bottom list option.

I got caught in the impossible situation where you couldn't light the fire when I tried yesterday. I unloaded all my ammo into the fireplace kit...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys :) will a pan work? I saw one earlier but didn't get it since I had no space for ammo. Didn't read the posts and watch the vid until now.

Eating raw meat of any type in this game is a BIG no no and is always a very very very low bottom list option.

Ah alright. I don't usually go into cities/towns unless it's refilling my canteen (when not raining). I usually spend my time in military bases and see a decent amount of animals around it. But I'll get more canned goods now with my improvised knife

Thanks for the reply guys :) will a pan work? I saw one earlier but didn't get it since I had no space for ammo. Didn't read the posts and watch the vid until now.

Ah alright. I don't usually go into cities/towns unless it's refilling my canteen (when not raining). I usually spend my time in military bases and see a decent amount of animals around it. But I'll get more canned goods now with my improvised knife

You can literally open cans up with anything sharp now. You don't need just a knife.

I know but I prefer the improvised knife because it only takes a 1x1 slot. Most sharp things are 2x1 or higher

• Like 1

I know but I prefer the improvised knife because it only takes a 1x1 slot. Most sharp things are 2x1 or higher

Just use an axe, then it takes up zero inventory slots and is one of the best melee weapons.

Just use an axe, then it takes up zero inventory slots and is one of the best melee weapons.

Yeah but doesn't the axe "spill" some of the food content?

Precisely. Sometimes it does okay, and other times you're left with literally 4% of your can of food. The improvised knife is a consistent 95-100% of your food plus it can be used for a multitude of other things. It's worth the measly 1 slot it occupies in your inventory, and an axe is NOT an acceptable substitute in my opinion. There is really no reason not to carry one when they can be made for free in less than a minute.

Precisely. Sometimes it does okay, and other times you're left with literally 4% of your can of food. The improvised knife is a consistent 95-100% of your food plus it can be used for a multitude of other things. It's worth the measly 1 slot it occupies in your inventory, and an axe is NOT an acceptable substitute in my opinion. There is really no reason not to carry one when they can be made for free in less than a minute.

Yeah but doesn't the axe "spill" some of the food content?

I have never ever had that happen, well maybe back 8 patches or so. I only use the axe and the least amount left after spillage has been around the 75% but it is usually in the high 80's or above. TBH, if you are concerned about that with the plethora of food available currently, then you are doing something else severely wrong.

TBH, if you are concerned about that with the plethora of food available currently, then you are doing something else severely wrong.

Don't question my resourcefulness. You have no idea.

You're still ignoring the part where it has multiple uses, too. Don't bash me because I'm more efficient than you.

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but... how do you get stones? I've only ever stumbled across some randomly...

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but... how do you get stones? I've only ever stumbled across some randomly...

Look at pretty much any "stony" path, like the coastal beach, or alongside a stream.  Use the action command to look for stones, then take it into your hand and select "craft stone knife". It fails a lot.

• Like 1

Don't question my resourcefulness. You have no idea.

You're still ignoring the part where it has multiple uses, too. Don't bash me because I'm more efficient than you.

Lol calm down mate, no one is attacking you, each to their own and all that jazz, you don't need to get so riled when someone has a difference of opinion. 

1) The axe has multiple uses...clearly. Now let's see you kill a zombie with that little stone so even with your little stone knife you will still need to carry a melee.

2) I have a very good idea of your resourcefulness if losing 90% of your beans is a concern to you.

Edited by NexVentor

Yes the axe has multiple uses, but the axe will get ruined eventually (cutting firewood, kindling, etc) and you won't be able to use it other than a melee weapon. I know you could get another one quite easily (fire stations in cities and even in airfields). But the improvised knife has always stayed in prestine condition (in my experience) so you will be able to keep re-using it without the worry of crafting/finding another. Also, the improvised knife has more commands available compared to an axe like skinning an animal (inference, haven't really tried it with an axe). For me, I like to use my axe for melee purposes only and my improvised knife for everything else.

Look at pretty much any "stony" path, like the coastal beach, or alongside a stream.  Use the action command to look for stones, then take it into your hand and select "craft stone knife". It fails a lot.

Best to do the F11 or holding W trick to make the knife

2) I have a very good idea of your resourcefulness if losing 90% of your beans is a concern to you.

If only everyone could grow up to be like you someday mister badass.

Yes the axe has multiple uses, but the axe will get ruined eventually (cutting firewood, kindling, etc) and you won't be able to use it other than a melee weapon. I know you could get another one quite easily (fire stations in cities and even in airfields). But the improvised knife has always stayed in prestine condition (in my experience) so you will be able to keep re-using it without the worry of crafting/finding another. Also, the improvised knife has more commands available compared to an axe like skinning an animal (inference, haven't really tried it with an axe). For me, I like to use my axe for melee purposes only and my improvised knife for everything else.

Shh you're using logic, silly :) (But really, you're correct of course.)

Stone knife takes 2 minutes to craft and the spots you can do so are scattered all over. Most locations don't require you to go anywhere near a zombie or where you are likely to encounters another player. When crafted it is pristine and can be used for all kinds of things. Axe on the other hand requires I go to some specific spawn points where players are likely. Basically I like to keep the pristine axes I find pristine and slowly wear down improvised knives which I can remake in very little time without much risk. Also, you can't cut burlap into strips with an axe. ;)

Like Whyherro said, anywhere next to water will give you stony ground.  The small stones can also be used to sharpen the axes, though only one level of status improvement seems to be allowed.  I'm still watching and waiting to see if my fire axe can be sharpended back up to pristine after becoming worn.

Edited by emuthreat