jprime84

First time cooking - what am i doing wrong?

I shot myself a nice red deer, and now I have "Deer Steaks" in my inventory.  Not raw deer steaks, just "Deer Steaks".

If I build a fire and put them into it, they go from pristine to ruined in about 30 seconds.  Item is still called "Deer Steak" when I take it out ruined.  Ideas?

he obviously killed the dear with a flamethrower or some kind of incendiary/thermobaric weapon.

• Like 4

Had the same thing happen today with some buddies and raw ... not human ... steaks. Put them in the fire and they rapidly went from pristine to ruined. Five guys sitting right next to the fire. Feels like a bug, but it was also our first time. Maybe we're all just noobs :)

No there gota be a bug. I've done alot of steak cooking in 0.52 and it was not like this at all. Same shit happend to me with 20 steaks! Really really frustrating... sane thing when trying to heat up canned food. ruined in seconds.

Maybe we can only cook with a triopod and a frying pan or something cooking related? I dont know but i really hope this is a BS bug...

Either a bug or intended to make us use the tripod as de_snake mentioned.

Would kinda make sence for meat. If you through meat in the fire I doubt you still would want to eat it in RL. You would at least put it on a stick to hold it over the fire.

Cans should work, though. Petty that they don't, atm.

Will try the tripod with my survival character.

It's definitely a weird bug ... Steaks from any animal should have "raw" in the name right after you extract from the animal and before you cook it, and it's condition isn't what changes, what does change is it's state from being "raw" to "crooked" and then obviously to "burnt" . For those of you who had this bug , did you ever see it say "cooked" or "burnt" ? Or was did it only show status conditions like pristine and ruined ?

For me it went ruined right away, was never burnt or cooked.

Somone has reported it and it seems like it dosent matter if you use cooking ware, tripod, furnace or fire pit.
It gets ruined no matter what. Canned food also (it shouldent as you warmed cans now can be used to warm your body. patch notes says so)

Link to the report
http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=21236

Yep just had 4 human steaks go to ruined in seconds, they weren't raw when I carved them out either.

2v16t20.jpg

I'm loving this non-word phase you're in right now

• Like 2

I'm trying to test to be sure that steaks still do this with a fireplace + tripod + pot (since no one from the bug report exclusively says they've tried it) but for the life of me I can't find a  damn pot. 

Edited by solodude23

Nothing goes in to the cooking pot. Tried setting up the tripod + cooking pot + fireplace (on fire). Meat, tomato, peber, open cans.. was not allowed (red box) to go into the cooking pot,

You can eat the meat as it is (pristine). But cooking does not work. If you put cans or any thing in the fireplace (on fire) it will be ruined. The fireplace looks great, but the only function it has right now, is to warm you up. It is a bug.

Same issue here. Found a damaged pot (now pots seems to be rare to find) and when i introduced it in the fireplace few seconds later was ruined, same with the steaks.

Do I have to put stones into the fireplace to do it? I only used 5 wood sticks and ignited it.

Other possibility is to test with the gas stove, but its impossible to find a frying pan... D:

I tried everything in every combination - a fireplace with and without additional 5 sticks, tripod, cooking pot/frying pan, and a furnace likewise with any possible combination (without the tripod). Whatever I do, the stuff just gets ruined. This applied also to guts. I thought I was doing something wrong, now I see everyone gets the same results. As you say, nothing goes into the pot or the pan and the fireplace just ruins stuff (and warms you up super rapidly).

You can find cooking pots in those big city two-floor residential buildings with staircases; upstairs there is a kitchen which very often yields cooking-related stuff (pots, pans, stoves, knives, etc.). However, it seems like you don't need to bother right now.

I really miss it, where do I sign to upvote this issue?

Gabe's comment from the feedback tracker:

--
Sorry for being unclear. Once you have the pot attached to the fireplace (via tripod or 8 stones) right click it and select "view contents" then add the meat or can to the pot inventory. If the fire has enough heat (you now need to add fuel to it) you will see the items in the pot get a red background and meat will become cooked in 1-2 minutes.

I have successfully cooked meat in .53. NOT A BUG. (fish fillets are bugged however) Putting something in the fire inventory is like sticking it in the burning wood. Of course it will be ruined.

--

Sounds like it may be a UI problem (having to view contents of pot to add things) after all..?

Also curious - If you can eat raw meat, then what's the benefit of cooking it?

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

Yeah it is definitely bugged I tried with every cooking apparatus and every type of meat.

Strange... after I logged back to the game, it was out of a sudden possible to put food in the pot. However, it was after I'd eaten a "cow steak" (it is definitely raw, don't eat it), so I contracted food poisoning, then got shot at and died without testing this thing further.

I decided to go back to my private character and I found 2 frying pans. It was definitely possible to add "raw fish fillets" to a pan and add it to a furnace/fireplace, However, nothing happened after more than 30 min. of waiting. Gabe says fish is bugged, though...

We need to find pots and give it more testing, I'll be on it soon.

Gabe's comment from the feedback tracker:

--

Sorry for being unclear. Once you have the pot attached to the fireplace (via tripod or 8 stones) right click it and select "view contents" then add the meat or can to the pot inventory. If the fire has enough heat (you now need to add fuel to it) you will see the items in the pot get a red background and meat will become cooked in 1-2 minutes.

I have successfully cooked meat in .53. NOT A BUG. (fish fillets are bugged however) Putting something in the fire inventory is like sticking it in the burning wood. Of course it will be ruined.

--

Sounds like it may be a UI problem (having to view contents of pot to add things) after all..?

Also curious - If you can eat raw meat, then what's the benefit of cooking it?

Just tried it....again, Still not working as you can't put anything in the pot.

Just tried it....again, Still not working as you can't put anything in the pot.

On the bug report, the real clown says: you cant put anything in the pot while it is in your hands/inventory/attached to the fire -- you have to place the pot on the ground then tab over it to add stuff. I dont know about the frying pan at all, ive only messed with cooking in the pots.

Can you try it once more? I don't have a pot at the moment. It can't be fish, Gabe says it's bugged.

Edited by Kirov

Hahaha just thought about that after I wrote the post and went into game to confirm.

IT WORKS!

The pot/pan cannot be on the fire while putting food in it. It must be on the ground or inventory.

Thats atleast something :) Still it shouldent be this hard to cook if the devs want us to cook instead of eating canned food.
We should be able to put things in the pot and pan even if it is attached to the fire.

Maybe they also could allow sharpned sticks to be combined with meat and fish so we can use those to grill them directly on firepits without stones or tripod.

Penalty for grilling with sticks could be only 1 or a couple meat/fish at a time.

Edited by de_snake
  • Like 1

It is not that hard to figure out.

Chop down a tree and make your fireplace and what not, and set up the tri-pod to hold the pot. Lay your pot down next to your fireplace and place your meat in it, then drag the pot with meat in it from the ground onto the fireplace. Ignite the fire and right click the pot in the fireplace and click view contents to observe it cook.

Bam, cooked meat.

• Like 1