Sign in to follow this  
dethsupport

Character Wipe?

Recently I had just finished the kit I had painstakingly put together, met with my buddy and prepared to head north for some player interaction (and I don't mean KoS). We met our unfortunate demise in the form of a speed hacker (and immediately afterwards with another hacker on another server when respawned). I was naturally a bit upset that I had lost my gear to cheating but after the initial frustration had passed I was informed that with the Wednesday update there was likely to be an entire character wipe for all hives so the death didn't matter as much. I would like to know if this is true before I begin making a serious attempt at another character's long term survival (and creating their story, which is the longest part), if so I'll have a much more lax approach if it isn't going to matter in a few days. I appreciate the information, best of luck to those that are still alive.

Why not just play the game and deal with wipes if/when they occur? I have just as much fun in DayZ whether I'm fully geared or running around half naked flailing an ashwood stick in my hands.

EDIT: also, never say the "ch" or "h" words around here ;3

Edited by Grimey Rick

Recently I had just finished the kit I had painstakingly put together, met with my buddy and prepared to head north for some player interaction (and I don't mean KoS). We met our unfortunate demise in the form of a speed hacker (and immediately afterwards with another hacker on another server when respawned). I was naturally a bit upset that I had lost my gear to cheating but after the initial frustration had passed I was informed that with the Wednesday update there was likely to be an entire character wipe for all hives so the death didn't matter as much. I would like to know if this is true before I begin making a serious attempt at another character's long term survival (and creating their story, which is the longest part), if so I'll have a much more lax approach if it isn't going to matter in a few days. I appreciate the information, best of luck to those that are still alive.

"Informed" by whom, exactly? This rumour keeps going around. I think devs have confirmed a wipe for Q1, but haven't seen anything about this Wednesday. A bit more notice would be expected, and we had a lot more than this with the 0.49 wipe.

the wipe will come, when persistant loot system is fixed to get duped gear out of the game.

when it is fixed? i dont know

Thanks for all the replies.

Why not just play the game and deal with wipes if/when they occur? I have just as much fun in DayZ whether I'm fully geared or running around half naked flailing an ashwood stick in my hands.

EDIT: also, never say the "ch" or "h" words around here ;3

Mainly because if I am going to put forth the effort I want to know it wont be in vain. I do have plenty of fun as a naked bambi because loot is exciting then and player interactions are easier (but you still get KoSed anyway). I don't have a problem dying a legitimate death but losing to a wipe is disheartening.

"Informed" by whom, exactly? This rumour keeps going around. I think devs have confirmed a wipe for Q1, but haven't seen anything about this Wednesday. A bit more notice would be expected, and we had a lot more than this with the 0.49 wipe.

A random player I encountered while a naked bambi. We were looting the same house and we started talking. Four people ended up just bullshitting inside this house and two had talked about the wipe before our civilized meeting devolved into pantsless fistycuffs.

the wipe will come, when persistant loot system is fixed to get duped gear out of the game.

when it is fixed? i dont know

Fair enough.

if I am going to put forth the effort I want to know it wont be in vain.

I've got some news for you: it's always going to be in vain until the game is officially released, which is likely a year or more from now. Perhaps you ought to give up the game for good though if losing your stuff is a concern for you, seeing as it's going to happen even after the game releases since it's inevitable that you'll die at some point.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mainly because if I am going to put forth the effort I want to know it wont be in vain. I do have plenty of fun as a naked bambi because loot is exciting then and player interactions are easier (but you still get KoSed anyway). I don't have a problem dying a legitimate death but losing to a wipe is disheartening.

A random player I encountered while a naked bambi. We were looting the same house and we started talking. Four people ended up just bullshitting inside this house and two had talked about the wipe before our civilized meeting devolved into pantsless fistycuffs.

Fair enough.

A random player is not a good source of information. They haven't mentioned anything about another wipe that will happen anytime soon. They did say there will be a wipe when game goes Beta.

I've got some news for you: it's always going to be in vain until the game is officially released, which is likely a year or more from now. Perhaps you ought to give up the game for good though if losing your stuff is a concern for you, seeing as it's going to happen even after the game releases since it's inevitable that you'll die at some point.

I am aware of that, I don't see why you had to be rude and jump to the "well there's the door" schtick; I have been an avid player for a long time and am not unfamiliar with losing my character, I simply asked a question as to whether it would be worth it to even bother until after Wednesday. I already stated that I have no issues dying legitimate deaths but it is frustrating to spend the time to start over in approximately one day. The issue has since been clarified.

*EDIT* Didn't respond to this post, sorry:

A random player is not a good source of information. They haven't mentioned anything about another wipe that will happen anytime soon. They did say there will be a wipe when game goes Beta.

That is why I headed over here to see if it was common knowledge, it was a rumor that I needed clarification on, and I appreciate your help with that.

*RE-EDIT* Question has been answered, please close.

Edited by Dethsupport

Quit trolling, we know the game is in Alpha, we know there can be wipes. Your response is annoying and not even valuable to this post.

The guy asked a question if anyone had heard anymore rumors about a wipe. Either answer his question or don't respond. I think that's a valid question considering the mixed messages we get from the development team.

As a player, I am also interested in knowing there will be a wipe so I can depart my hoarding survivalist persona into a blood thirsty bandit slayer.

Your response is annoying and not even valuable to this post.

Your face is annoying and this entire thread isn't valuable to anyone because it's already been stated many, many times that Stable branch wipes will be announced well in advance. Had he bothered to look for the information rather than lazily starting a whiny thread and expecting it to be handed to him, people like myself wouldn't have the opportunity reply in the first place. Really, I would even be happy to answer his questions if he hadn't been such a crybaby about his original post -- "Woe is me, my time is so valuable I couldn't possibly be bothered to spend an hour getting fully geared again."

lol your face is annoying? that's a good one, can I quote you on that in my signature?

Almost as bad as me using butt cheese....

:)