Sign in to follow this  
lucianpin

Strange behavior with V3S truck

I have seen videos with V3S trucks driving uphill with no problem. But I personally found 3 trucks and with each I was not able to do that. It is like not having enough power or when on the road (uphill) I saw the wheels spinning and truck not moving.

Anyone experienced something like this? If you are not moving downhill, truck is almost useless. (0.52)

It's a known problem, that the devs tweak every patch. 

• Like 1

Had the same problem. Hitting "shift" key while driving seems to put the truck in a higher gear. It works well for me. Give it a try. Truck will easily climb any hill with this keystroke.

• Like 1

As above, use shift for additional power (but presumably at a greater cost in fuel?  Not sure...).  Alternatively, just like a real truck, get a good run up before you hit the hill and your momentum will help.

• Like 2

As above, use shift for additional power (but presumably at a greater cost in fuel?  Not sure...).  Alternatively, just like a real truck, get a good run up before you hit the hill and your momentum will help.

I think this too, I think it costs way more fuel but that's just what I think after using four trucks till they ran out. Also, you can't start driving against a hill, you'll need speed, if you know how to do it you will reach 50 km/h or even 80 k/h without problems. (With shift though.)

• Like 1

Shoot every time I get into a truck with someone else the server lags out for me and whoever I'm with.

Best not to even bother with trucks in the current build. It will only lead to suffering.

What kind of dumb advice is that? Really odd thing to say.

In regards to the question at hand. Look at the truck. Does it look like a modern  truck to you? Does it look like it was produced in the last 30 years? No? It's an old, beaten up piece of junk. It's a work horse that's seen better days. Hill are not friendly to trucks like this; both in real life and in this game. Additionally, the Arma series has a default key binding to 'shift' that will give you increased power (like overdrive of sorts) and that coupled with a decent run-up, hills will be no drama.

Edited by Zeotrope
  • Like 1

Thanks, I didn't try shift key, buy I will.

As far as I know in current build, you can't be killed while driving with the truck.

You can be shot out of it through the windows/windshield, some one could also potentially open the door and shoot you.

In regards to the question at hand. Look at the truck. Does it look like a modern  truck to you? Does it look like it was produced in the last 30 years? No? It's an old, beaten up piece of junk. It's a work horse that's seen better days. Hill are not friendly to trucks like this; both in real life and in reality. Additionally, the Arma series has a default key binding to 'shift' that will give you increased power (like overdrive of sorts) and that coupled with a decent run-up, hills will be no drama.

Never underestimate the power of V3S :)

http://youtu.be/CqiKxDB0UMw?t=1m4s

Edited by Blaf

both in real life and in reality

:huh:

Guys, thanks for the shift key tip. I think that V3S is pretty good right now, except that the wheels are sliding on the road when uphill; it still needs some tweaks.

You need momentum. I do a ton of driving and this is what I found.

If you are trying to start on a hill, it's very tough. But if you drive parallel to the hill until up to speed, or even downhill to get up to speed, then turn uphill you FLY up the steep slopes.

You need momentum. I do a ton of driving and this is what I found.

If you are trying to start on a hill, it's very tough. But if you drive parallel to the hill until up to speed, or even downhill to get up to speed, then turn uphill you FLY up the steep slopes.

And that is exactly what is wrong. Let's be honest: on the road any truck is able to start without sliding.

Thanks, I didn't try shift key, buy I will.

As far as I know in current build, you can't be killed while driving with the truck.

To be technical, you can't be shot while driving... I have most certainly died. In fact I have decided not to ever get into a truck if I am well geared. The Law of DayZ is that if you find something "cool" you will die soon. So I hit a military spawn and found a High Capacity Vest, AKM, and not one, but two mags for the AKM. This was on a private server so I was really super happy. My friend had recently respawned and was on the East side of the map while I was in the West. Running over I found a VS3 and was like, "Could my day be any more perfect?" sure enough there was a jerry can in the nearby shed. Dumped that in and figured I had enough gas to drive around until a server restart and started going.

I was Driving down the road like a boss... had adjusted my view so I was a bit lower and could see out the window better, and was cruising. Paved road, nothing in it, suddenly the truck flips. It bounces and rolls around and around and around. I wait for it to settle hoping it doesn't blow up or something similar like ARMA vehicles tend to do after that much bouncing. Finally it settles but the roof is in the ground. 

Now at this point I should have used my head and disconnected and hoped the game updated my position to not be in the ground or even where I got into the truck. Nope, I opened the door, and got out hoping it would spawn me next to the flipped truck. 

e2p6waA.png

Personally they're too buggy for me to be messing around with, along the same vain as the ladders on the roof of the apartment tenement building. I've already died simply exiting a fully stopped truck. I've already endured a hill climb slower than walking on foot... This is why I advise staying out of the trucks until they're presentable/playable.

See Mercules words also:

In fact I have decided not to ever get into a truck if I am well geared...suddenly the truck flips. It bounces and rolls around and around and around....

So what kind of advice is it to stay away from the trucks? I'd say rather good advice if your goal is survival.

I'm not saying that sometimes (reportedly) they have been known to kill / injure those who interact with them, but I have found / driven over 20 of these brutes without issue. So 20 / 20 times makes them worthwhile to seek out and drive. But that's my experience.

Perhaps lag may play a part in the related issues with these vehicles and the associated interaction with the underlying terrain. They seem to spring to life on approach as if they are reaffirming their placement in the game world. Not sure

Edited by Zeotrope

As far as I'm concerned, working as intended. This is what happens when Grimey gets behind the wheel:

zSedwog.jpg

To be technical, you can't be shot while driving... I have most certainly died. In fact I have decided not to ever get into a truck if I am well geared. The Law of DayZ is that if you find something "cool" you will die soon. So I hit a military spawn and found a High Capacity Vest, AKM, and not one, but two mags for the AKM. This was on a private server so I was really super happy. My friend had recently respawned and was on the East side of the map while I was in the West. Running over I found a VS3 and was like, "Could my day be any more perfect?" sure enough there was a jerry can in the nearby shed. Dumped that in and figured I had enough gas to drive around until a server restart and started going.

I was Driving down the road like a boss... had adjusted my view so I was a bit lower and could see out the window better, and was cruising. Paved road, nothing in it, suddenly the truck flips. It bounces and rolls around and around and around. I wait for it to settle hoping it doesn't blow up or something similar like ARMA vehicles tend to do after that much bouncing. Finally it settles but the roof is in the ground. 

Now at this point I should have used my head and disconnected and hoped the game updated my position to not be in the ground or even where I got into the truck. Nope, I opened the door, and got out hoping it would spawn me next to the flipped truck. 

e2p6waA.png

sorry to hear that...