Sign in to follow this  
shaunsap

I keep getting PKed

I know there's no point in ranting about 'bandits', because ranting wont solve anything. It seems as soon as I get some form of gun, I get killed, and I'm not talking M4s etc, because I trying to stay away from military areas to stop being killed. The problem is, I find weapons in small towns. Last life I found a CR527 and a neat little mag to match :) had it for about an hour, but continued to kill zombies with my axe. Then suddenly, BANG! I'm dead. The noise was loud so he was practically behind me. Didn't even shout or talk, just bang. How can I prevent myself from being killed by other players, and how do I find players I can interact with without being shot at?

stay hidden, play cautious. thats the best way to avoid getting killed.

• Like 2

Odds are you were carelessly running around axing zombies not aware of your surroundings. That's usually what happens when people get shot. Pay attention to your surroundings, always be on the lookout for other players and always assume that there might be someone near you.

welcome to dayz sir where the zeds don't wipe out the human race the humans themselves do. if you don't want fragged all the time or are looking for player interaction find a private hive with PVP,PVE or RP most have rules which discourage KOS. get off the public sewer servers sir explore your options and find what fits your playstyle and your goals in game goodluck OP and welcome to hell

Unfortunately this type of event is here to stay. Nobody can stop these idiots from loot whoring and server hopping around to grab all their gear then run down and pick on people who have little to nothing and have worked for hours to get it. 

It's reached a point where most of the people doing it are doing it for no other reason than because they got butthurt when someone did it to them- so now they "DON'T TRUST ANYONE AND I'M PARANOID AND MURDER EVERYTHING I CAN FIND AND EAT PEOPLE BISHES!" 

I'm still pretty new and I haven't turned yet but the things I've seen so far just embarrass me as a gamer and as a person. I can only imagine some of these people are acting out real world frustrations or are just generally totally unremarkable people trying to leave a mark on a virtual world in a grasp for self satisfaction and respect from their imaginary peer group. 

/ rant

On an objective note, OP- there are a few servers I've found that run a little smaller... and the interactions are generally more positive. EVERY time I've encountered someone on a full server (30-50 people), you either get KoS or lured into some sort of stupid trap and then murdered outright. Sounds fun, right? 

Smaller servers give these idiots less to entertain themselves with so while you still ALWAYS need to be careful I've actually bumped into some people who were just enjoying the game and the possible interactions. I did get held up a couple times- guys checked me out and opened my cans of peaches for me then let me go... Just the other day someone actually steered clear of my partner and I (I spied them running away and ducking between buildings- assuming they saw us since we were in the open). 

I have to admit- though I generally abhor the murdering play style and everyone who uses the excuse that they got killed so many times so just decided to buy into it- these people do add an intensity to the game. There is a private shard server mentioned in the server room that is mature gamers, no PVP, whitelist. Though that seems like it is EXACTLY what I'm looking for I'm not sure that would be as much fun considering there is absolutely no challenge with the current zombie environment. It'd just be an empty world where a couple swings with an axe would keep you protected from the only hazard in the game. 

I have read a little about role playing servers and it would be kind of neat to have a proportionate number of different types of players- 1 outright murder, a couple pockets of bandits a couple of randoms and the rest just doing the best they can to protect themselves against the dynamic element. That'd be pretty neat but I have no idea how a person sets up something like that. 

Anyway OP sorry this turned into a bit of a semi rant / ramble / ramblant- you're definitely not the only struggling with the current state... so like mentioned above consider your server- maybe play on some less populated and stay away from the military areas / cherno - elektro - berezino. Mooch around in middle earth- get REALLY familiar with your area of choice so you can navigate around it blindfolded... and as your comfort level increases just gradually step up the challenge. 

Unfortunately this type of event is here to stay. *snip*

TL;DR the rest.

KoS will likely always exist but the implementation of more health/survival factors and more infected with better AI will likely change a lot of this.

Well your doing one thing right, and that's keeping away from Military zones, those places are crawling with people who shoot first ask questions never.

I would recommend getting yourself a pair of Binoculars or a Mosin + LRS to scout out a town/city before venturing in, making sure to keep yourself from being exposed in the wide open, so try to move stealthfully from building to building, behind walls ect. so you aren't exposed from all angles.

When it comes to seeing someone, it's best to have the upper hand in the meet up, such as, being in an area where they can not see you but you can see them, talk to them normally, and see how they react, if they start acting questionable like raising their gun and twitching around trying to find you, chances are, their going to shoot you, and if that happens and your not armed or into shooting people, make sure you have a good retreat plan in order, ect.

Good luck!

TL;DR the rest.

KoS will likely always exist but the implementation of more health/survival factors and more infected with better AI will likely change a lot of this.

Yeah it needs to be so bad that the sight of another human is a relief, you should want to find and team up with each other.

Edited by tofur
  • Like 1

Yeah it needs to be so bad that the sight of another human is a relief, you should want to find and team up with each other.

To some degree, yes.

But I'm not for forcing a play style on anyone at all.

It may just force the real murderers to sort of RP more about it.

Some people will be downright turned away from DayZ by the changes.

Clans and teams will always have an advantage with gear and vehicles, especially when persistence is in properly.

For those of us less interested in just PvP, it's sort of a wait and see scenario for the next 24 months as to how the game evolves and the player base with it.

I'm really looking forward to it!

Playing on low pop servers and always being the first to engage can help a player have more neutral/friendly encounters.