HeicPy

unbelievable situation, searching 3hours for matchbox!

guys, can someone explain me wtf? i searched all berezino, half novo, and many villages lol

Let me guess.... you really needed some matches?

Yeah mother RNG spawn can be a bitch. She always spawns what your NOT looking for. :)

• Like 2

The only way to find the thing you are looking for is to have it in your inventory already: then you will find millions more of them.

You want me to explain wtf?

It's an acronym popularly used on the internet to mean "What the fuck".

as to your situation in DayZ, look harder.

• Like 8

guys, can someone explain me wtf? i searched all berezino, half novo, and many villages lol

Listen, if you have been looking for a matchbox for 3 hours then that means that you do not want to start a fire because of hypothermia. For now, have a different goal! Work on something else or something that you have to get done! While you are doing this, you may come across multiple matchboxes. Starting a topic about not being able to find some is kind of silly, because its not like they were took out of the game!

Just Keep Looking.

Cheers!

~Mouse

This really is a problem, though, in all seriousness. If you spawn into a server where it's raining then you can die because the things you need to keep yourself warm/dry simply aren't there. I've spawned before and not been able to find matches.

You can't find something that hasn't spawned or that wasn't there in the first place, and it's a loot spawn issue that needs to be addressed. It's not "survival" when you have to find a certain object to survive and that object simply isn't within reach. When you die of hypothermia because there's no matches or waterproof clothing, that's not skill. That's not survival. That's just you getting fucked over by dumb luck because the objects that you can only get by picking up didn't spawn near you or somebody got them first. 

• Like 6

and when you finally find a box of matches, you will be looking for something else and mainly see boxes of matches. It's just how this game destroys us :P

• Like 1

This really is a problem, though, in all seriousness. If you spawn into a server where it's raining then you can die because the things you need to keep yourself warm/dry simply aren't there. I've spawned before and not been able to find matches.

Sit a house and read a book.

3 hours is nothing yet ..;-P
I once spent searching like a half a day (from the feeling) and found it even with server hopping finally after almost 6 hours later.
I feel for you bro`.. <_<

Edited by Nebuuuu

Sit a house and read a book.

You spawn in hungry. So you can't sit in a house and just read a book.

Plus, if "don't play the game" is how you are supposed to survive in the game, I'll just not play it. 

• Like 1

You spawn in hungry. So you can't sit in a house and just read a book.

Plus, if "don't play the game" is how you are supposed to survive in the game, I'll just not play it. 

Fair point but to be honest sometimes you are just going to die, it's supposed to be a hard game. If you know you'll find the items you need to make a fire every time there's no tension and they might as well have not put the temperature mechanic in.

All the PvE elements at some point rely on finding certain items and are therefore luck based there's no getting around that.

I disagree that reading a book isn't playing the game, your character is still in the game world and is affected by it. Things like temperature require people to adjust to a slower paced game but I think they will find it rewarding.      

Edited by B4GEL
  • Like 2

Why dont you try not searching for a matchbox? that normally works :)

Fair point but to be honest sometimes you are just going to die, it's supposed to be a hard game. If you know you'll find the items you need to make a fire every time there's no tension and they might as well have not put the temperature mechanic in.

All the PvE elements at some point rely on finding certain items and are therefore luck based there's no getting around that.

I disagree that reading a book isn't playing the game, your character is still in the game world and is affected by it. Things like temperature require people to adjust to a slower paced game but I think they will find it rewarding.      

"sometimes you are just going to die". No good game should tell you that. You shouldn't have a survival game, especially one that strives for some level of realism, that throws a "sometimes you're just going to die" brick right in your face. Dying should happen because of a reason or because there was an obstacle that you couldn't overcome. If it's against a player, that's one way. If it's against the environment or the AI controlled characters then there should be some sort of logical reason for it to happen. There's a difference between difficult and intuitive survival and "lol no matches anywhere you ded now". You can't excuse bad design for "sometimes you are just going to die." You should never be spawned into Chernarus with the doom of dying from hypothermia because the game code didn't give you something you needed to live. 

"It's supposed to be a hard game". That doesn't excuse futility. If I gave you a maze that was only dead ends and that was impossible to solve, I could use this sentence to describe your complaints about it. It's just a hard maze. This one you can't beat. Because when you spawn in the rain and you can't warm up using any possible means, that's not difficulty. That's impossibility. You can't say a game is hard when there's no possible way for your character to survive because no level of skill will save you.

"All the PvE elements at some point rely on finding certain items and are therefore luck based there's no getting around that." Only the first part of this sentence is correct. In a world that will eventually have 100 players in it, or more, all competing and interactive and sharing the same universe of items, you cannot decide who lives and dies because of sheer luck. Why can't I find two sticks and rub them together to make a fire? Why can't I use a lantern and gas to create heat? Why can't I slice open a cow and live inside his smooshy bits like a Tauntaun? There's only two options for surviving the rain when you spawn: Make a fire or get waterproof clothing. A survival games needs more options than that because both of these options rely solely on the luck of loot spawns. You should always have at least some sort of option to surviving. It would be better for them to make the survival aspect always possible if you are shrewd or clever enough, but have threat of other players constantly looming over you. Surviving the elements in a post-apocalyptic world should not be the primary focus of your survival. You need trees for basically doing anything in Minecraft, for instance...but you always know there are trees around. They're trees. The way that trees are spawned into the Minecraft world can be applied in different methods to the survival options in DayZ, though obviously they would be less obvious and easy. 

"I disagree that reading a book isn't playing the game, your character is still in the game world and is affected by it" I suppose you can really stretch what you define "playing" as, but for me, it's not huddling down in a little house reading about Jesus because I'm afraid of the rain.

Edited by Rags
  • Like 4

Well rocket did call it an anti game.

How will anyone who knows how the mechanics work die from anything except pvp if it's a given that they will find the items they need to survive? There's no skill needed to make a fire or cure food poisoning in game, you just look it up on the internet. 

Futility suits the subject matter of the game very well in my opinion, the fact that they have introduced suicide reveals that the designers anticipate there being situations in which it is impossible to carry on. You can always respawn, the maze changes every time.

Again if anyone who has done their research is always going to be able to survive the environmental threats they face these environmental threats are just pointless filler between player encounters. I have no problem with adding more ways to stay warm and dry as long as it doesn't make the game easier, turning whole systems into a sterile upkeep exercise sounds awful to me compared to the tension of possibly dying to wide range of threats at any time.

• Like 3

You can't find something that hasn't spawned or that wasn't there in the first place, and it's a loot spawn issue that needs to be addressed. It's not "survival" when you have to find a certain object to survive and that object simply isn't within reach. When you die of hypothermia because there's no matches or waterproof clothing, that's not skill. That's not survival. That's just you getting fucked over by dumb luck because the objects that you can only get by picking up didn't spawn near you or somebody got them first. 

Exactly. There should be a "natural/primitive" way to do almost everything in this game, without relying on fickle loot spawns. Should it be more difficult, take longer, and require more skill? Of course. Should it be as effective as using "modern" equipment? Of course.

-Want to build a fire, but have no matches? Make a bow-drill or use the fire-plough.

-Want to stay dry in the rain, but don't have a raincoat? Use a knife (or some other pointed tool) to cut/pry sheets of birchbark off birch trees, then use cordage to tie them into waterproof sheets that go over (more water-resistant) or under (warmer) your clothing.

-Don't have a knife? Take a piece of glass (available around wrecked cars, or houses) and a small stone, and knap a rough edge on the glass

-Don't have rope (for cordage)? Gather some grass (like the old rifle wrap), and twist it together.

-Don't have a pot to boil water in for cooking/drinking, or for storing food? Take some birchbark, cut it with a knife, and use cordage to sew the bark together.

-Want to make some waterproof glue in order to make sure your newly-made container doesn't leak, or let water in? Make some pine resin glue with pine resin (duh), ground charcoal, and some dried herbivorous poop.

Want to boil water in your newly-waterproofed pot, but can't put birchbark over a fire? Heat up some small stones in a fire, then drop them into the water-filled pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyC8yqYj3_M

Want to cook something that isn't roasted meat on a fire? Use a flat rock to bake or grill the food, which can range from meat, to vegetables to, bread. Flatbread is actually a pretty decent survival "staple" as it can be made from few ingredients (flour, which can be made from wheat, corn, acorns, potato, various rhizomes, etc., salt and water) and will keep for a while as you search for other sources of food)

Point being, you shouldn't be screwed over just because you can't find something. It should be some serious work to survive, but you should be able to.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 2

Need a fishhook?

Need a quick, easy, and most importantly, tasty, source of energy? Some effective firestarting materials?

Want an effective waterproofing sealant, for clothing, containers, and housing?

Survival isn't about the gear you have, or, in-game, the gear you can find. It is instead about adapting to the environment, overcoming the challenges (often improvising tools), and living at the end of the ordeal. This game shouldn't be ," Well guise, this spawn doesn't have a backpack and canned food, guess I'll jump off that storage tank until I get a better spawn", it should be, "Shit, this is gonna be harder than I thought.-rolls up sleeves"

"Extinction (death) is the rule. Survival is the exception" Carl Sagan.

• Like 1

in DayZ, the rarest item is the item that you need right there and then. Case and point, I found a damaged m4 once, looked for hours til I found a kit. Now that I don't need it, I basically see it in every other shed. Ditto for sewing kits and charcoal tabs.

Isn't this part of the point in this game?  Looking for axes and matches, food and rain coats.  Guns and a knife.  This is what makes the game so fantastic.

Also, though interesting, I do so love people posting youtube videos on how to open cans with pavement, mend clothes with cat intestines, tap trees, make fish hooks, work from home etc.  Because I know if the apocalypse hit tomorrow, first thing I am doing is googling these hot tips!

"sometimes you are just going to die". No good game should tell you that. You shouldn't have a survival game, especially one that strives for some level of realism, that throws a "sometimes you're just going to die" brick right in your face. Dying should happen because of a reason or because there was an obstacle that you couldn't overcome. If it's against a player, that's one way. If it's against the environment or the AI controlled characters then there should be some sort of logical reason for it to happen. There's a difference between difficult and intuitive survival and "lol no matches anywhere you ded now". You can't excuse bad design for "sometimes you are just going to die." You should never be spawned into Chernarus with the doom of dying from hypothermia because the game code didn't give you something you needed to live. 

"It's supposed to be a hard game". That doesn't excuse futility. If I gave you a maze that was only dead ends and that was impossible to solve, I could use this sentence to describe your complaints about it. It's just a hard maze. This one you can't beat. Because when you spawn in the rain and you can't warm up using any possible means, that's not difficulty. That's impossibility. You can't say a game is hard when there's no possible way for your character to survive because no level of skill will save you.

"All the PvE elements at some point rely on finding certain items and are therefore luck based there's no getting around that." Only the first part of this sentence is correct. In a world that will eventually have 100 players in it, or more, all competing and interactive and sharing the same universe of items, you cannot decide who lives and dies because of sheer luck. Why can't I find two sticks and rub them together to make a fire? Why can't I use a lantern and gas to create heat? Why can't I slice open a cow and live inside his smooshy bits like a Tauntaun? There's only two options for surviving the rain when you spawn: Make a fire or get waterproof clothing. A survival games needs more options than that because both of these options rely solely on the luck of loot spawns. You should always have at least some sort of option to surviving. It would be better for them to make the survival aspect always possible if you are shrewd or clever enough, but have threat of other players constantly looming over you. Surviving the elements in a post-apocalyptic world should not be the primary focus of your survival. You need trees for basically doing anything in Minecraft, for instance...but you always know there are trees around. They're trees. The way that trees are spawned into the Minecraft world can be applied in different methods to the survival options in DayZ, though obviously they would be less obvious and easy. 

"I disagree that reading a book isn't playing the game, your character is still in the game world and is affected by it" I suppose you can really stretch what you define "playing" as, but for me, it's not huddling down in a little house reading about Jesus because I'm afraid of the rain.

Whilst I do agree with a lot of what you say (e.g. only being able to light a fire with matches is overly restrictive and we generally need a lot more options to do things) I don't agree with the overall point that the game should give you all of the necessary resources to survive to start with.  Why not?

Because sometimes real life does exactly that to real people.  

People can and do die for the want of things that are outside of their reach.  That actually IS the most realistic thing in the game.  One of my characters died 2 nights ago because there was NO food in 3 towns and I only found one apple in a whole orchard and no berries.  It sucked, but that's the nature of the game and the danger of being a new spawn.  Real life is most dangerous for those who are new to the world.

Don't get me wrong, a game where this happened a lot would be rubbish, but it doesn't happen that much in my experience, just enough to keep me on my toes, to make me think "Should I really sprint here or jog to save energy?  Should I take the road, which is longer and more dangerous, or should I try and go straight, across the countryside and risk getting hopelessly lost?"

Assuming you survive that first hour or so, then it's up to you to make sure that you acquire all of the tools you need to continue to survive and make the right decisions at the right time whilst managing your character's wellbeing and, frankly, rely on a big old dollop of luck - which is also exactly like real life.

Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 2

Whilst I do agree with a lot of what you say (e.g. only being able to light a fire with matches is overly restrictive and we generally need a lot more options to do things) I don't agree with the overall point that the game should give you all of the necessary resources to survive to start with.  Why not?

Because sometimes real life does exactly that to real people.  

This is terrible reasoning. Plopping players down in a scenario where they cannot do anything to survive or help themselves is not good game design no matter how much you want to try and use"realism" to justify it.

I don't want to play a game where I spawn in and am doomed from the start and just don't know it yet and spend the next half an hour starving and dying from hypothermia when there is literally nothing I can do to help myself. Because that's not survival. In a game where the only way to get food is to find it on the ground, if I spawn into the game and starve because there's no food to pick up, the game failed me

People need to realize that DayZ isn't a realistic game. It's a game that applies realistic elements to some of its mechanics. 

This is terrible reasoning. Plopping players down in a scenario where they cannot do anything to survive or help themselves is not good game design no matter how much you want to try and use"realism" to justify it.

I don't want to play a game where I spawn in and am doomed from the start and just don't know it yet and spend the next half an hour starving and dying from hypothermia when there is literally nothing I can do to help myself. Because that's not survival. In a game where the only way to get food is to find it on the ground, if I spawn into the game and starve because there's no food to pick up, the game failed me

People need to realize that DayZ isn't a realistic game. It's a game that applies realistic elements to some of its mechanics. 

I understand what you mean but what's the point in a game where as soon as you spawn you can just collect a bunch of natural items and craft whatever you need, having looked it all up on some DayZ wiki?  Where's the randomness, the chance, the danger, the challenge there?  What's the point of that?  Why not just equip every new spawn with a raincoat, matches, axe, food, water, etc...

It's not that you spawn and cannot do anything to survive - it's that you make the wrong decision to maximize your chance of surviving - that's what I meant about deciding whether to sprint or jog, or if you should follow a longer road, which will take more time and energy and run the risks of meeting a bandit, or go cross country, in which case you might get lost.  Or maybe if you take the road you will meet someone who will help you?  Or maybe you should just sit under a tree for 20 minutes until it stops raining?  You make your choice and select your fate - you just don't know what that fate is yet. 

Life is about making choices, based on risks, and hoping they work out for you, but with the added danger that whatever choice you make sometimes you just cannot win.  Look at the news to see the many ways in which people die in pointless ways through no fault of their own just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If the game didn't have this random element to it, this challenge then it would get very boring very quickly.  Spawn - do this, do that, survive.  Yawn.

That's how I see it but that's just my opinion.

I understand what you mean but what's the point in a game where as soon as you spawn you can just collect a bunch of natural items and craft whatever you need, having looked it all up on some DayZ wiki?  Where's the randomness, the chance, the danger, the challenge there?  What's the point of that?  Why not just equip every new spawn with a raincoat, matches, axe, food, water, etc...

That's called a "survival game". You spawn in, find materials in the world, combine them and use them to survive. The danger shouldn't come from "oh, boy...I hope cans of food happened to spawn somewhat near me". It should come from "Can I keep myself alive while constantly being threatened by zombies and other players?" 

You're still arguing that players should be fucked over and put into unsurvivable scenarios because sometimes "that just happens in real life", and this baffles me that you would want that. Every "realistic" game has to make concessions with realism for the sake of gameplay. That's why you do things like respawn after you die or why you have to eat many cans of peaches and drinks liters and liters of water every day to just avoid starving. It's why you can fix a broken limb with a splint. It's why you can instantly fill a magazine with bullets. 

There is a logical reason for you dying to the elements.  You couldn't find matches, and therefore couldn't build a fire to stay warm/dry.  It is believable that a person may not be able to find matches in an post-apocalypse environment.  I personally would not be able to build a fire in the rain without a lighter/matches, I don't think it's that crazy.  And it doesn't matter if you die early, you just start again, hopefully near some matches.

Also, please remember this game is still under development.  Loot is not final yet.  No need to cry because your character in an Alpha version of a survival game died to the elements.  You will die in DayZ.  If you can't handle it, maybe it's not the game for you.