SMoss

Status Report - Week of 05 Jan 15

If it was an armband that was only visible to your team mates it could work. So it wouldn't be an actual clothing item, but something that appears on your arm/your friend's arm when you buddy up. You would not see any other squad's arm bands, only your squad's. Other squads would not see yours.

Yuck. That's almost as bad as icons.

Yuck. That's almost as bad as icons.

Its just an idea :)

What would you propose? It sounds like they are going to add group id in some form so why not shoot some ideas their way?

I do hope they put a server on/off toggle for the none intrusive identification (and all other things like gama, minimum grass and such like) so people have a varied choice of their play-style.

• Like 1

Its just an idea :)

What would you propose? It sounds like they are going to add group id in some form so why not shoot some ideas their way?

I think we've sent them plenty of ideas.

Ball is in their court.

I personally like the arma squad.xml system which allows clan tags to display on vehicles driven by those with the .xml configured in their profile as well as on certain clothing.

This appears for everyone in the server.

Only problem there is that it's a combination of resource issue and policing the .xml content that become problems long term.

I think the player should have to acquire a specific resource to be able to add the patch or icon to their clothing.

It could even be simplified to fewer pixels for performance and be a spray paint recipe that only those given the right info can access.

But whatever it is, this indicator needs to be equally visible to enemies as allies and be something that can be stolen from corpses for infiltration.

• Like 1

This is where game play immersion and reality start to break down.  One of the reasons I played 3rd person was because in reality I know for sure if I'm squatting, knelling, sitting or prone.  In 1st person there is just some slight variation to my view height.  I really wish there was an identification/stick figure icon that told me what my stance was.  The other issue was field of view, I've fixed that one by going to 3 monitors and now enjoy playing 1st person more.  

Identifying people, again in reality is something easy to do and we do it naturally.  Of course it's not as easy as being able to tell if we are still laying down or if we got up again, but the level of detail that would need to go into individualizing in game avatars is not something that computers can currently handle, yet alone the artistic understanding to make it happen.  Sure there's a lot that could be done, perhaps slight variations in limb length.  Multiple walking gaits with varying degree's of swagger would be cool.  Height and width variation. Shoulder slope and torso shapes (ie V, barrel, or pair shapes) would also be good.  At the very least please put in a female character with a nice butt.  If I'm playing in 3rd person and have to stare at something it should be nice.  (apologies to the model of the current female character)  :D

I would be happy if you guys can diversify the spray paint other than black and green. Therefore we can paint our helmets or something to differentiate friends and foes. There is a possibility that other clan would have the same color.. but that's just DayZ. :D

Regarding the the  group identification, I have a great idea that wouldnt effect immersion at all.. 

If your team had some kind of cloth or bandana with a clan logo of some kind wrapped across your arm, we could all see each other. People that arnt in our group wouldnt be able to see this. 

You can all wear Pink dress's or blue helmets or whatever.

I like the spray paint idea though. I'm sure russia had more than two colors in the stores.

Icons and the like is stupid. Arma 2-3 blows ass the way they did the team id. 

Kicker says he has a difficult time telling if he is standing or squatting? lol

Edited by serelaw

The whole point of non intrusive identification is that everybody sees the same thing and it is realistic. An armband that only your squad can see is ridiculous and game breaking IMO, everyone must be able to see the armband.

Serelaw, lol, I'm sure I could put up 10 1st person screen shots in various locations some squatting some standing and I'd be impressed if you got more than 6-7 right.  Yet, I could have you stand or squat in real life and you'd likely be able to guess 10 out of 10 times if you were standing or squatting.  This is a disconnect between simulation and reality.

Whisper, I was not mocking you.  For some reason the comment made me laugh.

I do not know why off hand. It just struck me as funny. :)