Sign in to follow this  
Spectator (DayZ)

New Player, 20 hours in, I'm decently geared, now what?

I apologize if this thread is redundant or rambly, I'm just new to Dayz SA (20 hours in, didn't play mod) and have several questions:

So I have enough gear to survive zombie encounters and stay alive against the elements, but I'm avoiding pvp encounters because I haven't survived one yet. I've had people tell me they're friendly only to kill me first chance.

So, what do I do now? Do I just need to head to bases or crash sites for military gear, to survive these encounters? Is the point to gear up and pvp, or just survive the longest?

Also, it seems like this game would be much more fun in groups, without posting in a recruitment thread how do I join groups/find players I can trust?

Also, dammit sorry, I've heard that server jumping is a mortal sin but I can't seem to find a stable server I want to stay in, either because its buggy, unpopulated, or full. I'm on the west coast of NA, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Server jumping is frowned upon, only if you use it to exploit something. For example if you just cleared out a military building, then switch servers just to reloot the same building on a different server, that is a no-no. If you are in combat, then log out, relocate yourself, and log back in to attack from a different position, that is called ghosting and you will bring dishonor to your family name and tribe.

If your server is just a piece of junk, get outta there. No one likes playing on a janky server.

As for stuff to do, I like to head to the coast and try to shepard new spawns off the coast safely. You will probably fail, and die, but you might make some friends and get some excellent stories from it. That is just one thing to do. You could also go out guns blazing on a high pop server, although that usually ends abruptly and not all that fun. If you find a truck you can take it to the coast and give taxi rides for funsies. Last time I did that I got shot in the face by the first person I met without him saying a word... <_<

You could also go plant a garden.

• Like 5

Rule #1: You can't trust anyone but yourself.

The only objective in DayZ is staying alive. How you do that is up to you. Right now, there really isn't much to do once you're geared up, unfortunately. Zombies are hardly a threat, and neither is the environment, which means boredom-fueled PvP is rampant. You could set yourself certain limits to make survival more difficult, like not eating food you find lying around, only what you can kill or cultivate. Practice your survival skills, because it's only going to get more difficult as the game progresses.

As for server hopping, it is frowned upon by many, but amongst all the undesirable behaviors in the game, this ranks pretty low in my book. After all, it's just alpha, none of our characters are going to last. 

• Like 2

In the mod I used to kill zombies, the debug monitor coupled with scoreboard would show who has the most Zed kills on the server.. that was my endgame.. having the most and being/trying to stay top of the list :)

Ok, I've seen seeds everywhere and carrying the pick axe around prompts you to dig in the fields, how long in game time does it take for seeds to mature? Are seed beds persistent? Do they need watering? Also, I've seen pumpkin patches but can't seem to harvest anything, are these just part of the scenery?

Sorry again for the nubbishness, and thanks again.

Ok, I've seen seeds everywhere and carrying the pick axe around prompts you to dig in the fields, how long in game time does it take for seeds to mature? Are seed beds persistent? Do they need watering? Also, I've seen pumpkin patches but can't seem to harvest anything, are these just part of the scenery?

Sorry again for the nubbishness, and thanks again.

Right now pumpkin patches are decoration only. I haven't done much gardening recently, but to grow inside a greenhouse you only need a digging tool and seeds. Fertilizer is optional but recommended since it greatly increases growth speed. Dig a spot, fertilize, plant seeds, wait, harvest, omnomnom. 

• Like 2

I apologize if this thread is redundant or rambly, I'm just new to Dayz SA (20 hours in, didn't play mod) and have several questions:

So I have enough gear to survive zombie encounters and stay alive against the elements, but I'm avoiding pvp encounters because I haven't survived one yet. I've had people tell me they're friendly only to kill me first chance.

So, what do I do now? Do I just need to head to bases or crash sites for military gear, to survive these encounters? Is the point to gear up and pvp, or just survive the longest?

Also, it seems like this game would be much more fun in groups, without posting in a recruitment thread how do I join groups/find players I can trust?

Also, dammit sorry, I've heard that server jumping is a mortal sin but I can't seem to find a stable server I want to stay in, either because its buggy, unpopulated, or full. I'm on the west coast of NA, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kill People

• Like 1

Right now pumpkin patches are decoration only. I haven't done much gardening recently, but to grow inside a greenhouse you only need a digging tool and seeds. Fertilizer is optional but recommended since it greatly increases growth speed. Dig a spot, fertilize, plant seeds, wait, harvest, omnomnom.

Ah. Explains the bags of lime lying around. Here I thought they were for disposing of bodies..

'Wait' how long? Do I just leave and circle back at some point?

Ah. Explains the bags of lime lying around. Here I thought they were for disposing of bodies..

'Wait' how long? Do I just leave and circle back at some point?

With fertilizer it's no more than 10 minutes or so. Without takes twice as long. Ish.

• Like 1

I think when you get enough hours in you learn to mix it up.  I started off solo hanging around the coast for the player interaction.  Now I run with my clan and we stay out west, sometimes north.  You find alot of the more mature players out west and you normally can have good interactions both friendly and hostile.  I know for most of us we like to find items to give each other, like carrying extra rice or morphine.  Even when we are fully geared we will roam from Vybor down to Pavlovo and back on standard loot runs.  Each day brings something different to do, you may get ambushed one day and the next day you are trying to ram one truck into another to get it unstuck.

Sometimes I like to mix it up when I die, recently I got an axe and tried to make a bow and arrows to live off the land, I died fairly quickly that way.  Sometimes I even go to the coast and grab the first weapon I can find and try to survive an "urban" environment where the only food I find is off people I kill.

I do agree with you though, playing with people is 10x more fun.  I found my clan through their server and by joining their teamspeak.

• Like 1

Server jumping is frowned upon, only if you use it to exploit something. For example if you just cleared out a military building, then switch servers just to reloot the same building on a different server, that is a no-no. If you are in combat, then log out, relocate yourself, and log back in to attack from a different position, that is called ghosting and you will bring dishonor to your family name and tribe.

If your server is just a piece of junk, get outta there. No one likes playing on a janky server.

As for stuff to do, I like to head to the coast and try to shepard new spawns off the coast safely. You will probably fail, and die, but you might make some friends and get some excellent stories from it. That is just one thing to do. You could also go out guns blazing on a high pop server, although that usually ends abruptly and not all that fun. If you find a truck you can take it to the coast and give taxi rides for funsies. Last time I did that I got shot in the face by the first person I met without him saying a word... <_<

Maybe duck walk down NEAF whilst reciting the life cycle stages of the loggerhead sea turtle over direct?

• Like 3

Maybe duck walk down NEAF whilst reciting the life cycle stages of the loggerhead sea turtle over direct?

I'm more a fan of the hawksbill myself, they eat jellies and man o wars like they're candy. But, to each his own.

• Like 1

Hi! Never get attached to your gear.

Welcome!

Your current experience in DayZ is temporary.

There are many things that will be tested as soon as in the next few months that may drastically change game play (new renderer/more zombies).

One thing to do? *Wait 2 years for game to be finished. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you really want to be a lab rat, try the experimental builds when those get rolling.

Report bugs to the bug tracker if you have patience or relate your experiences in the relevant threads.

Considering the age of DayZ mod and DayZ SA it is also good to use the search function for preexisting topics when you think you have something to add to the "grand conversation" that is DayZ dev.

Follow the dev tracker and build number threads.

Most of all... have fun!

Try roleplaying hero (good), medic (good), survivor (neutral, speaks before shoots), TRUE Bandit (NON LETHAL thief, neutral/evil), murderer (is an evil fucking KoS murderer, basically).

Sincerely,

Never get attached to your gear.

It wasn't the loggerhead sea turtle I was reciting, it was some imaginary animal I made up that was loosely based off of the duck walk. I really only remember that laying eggs was involved. But that is besides the point, as you can't do the duck walk any longer with all the new animations.

• Like 1

Things to do now:

1. Explore the map, there's tons to see.
  2. Blow up a gas station - it's fun!
  3. Randomly approach and help someone.
  4. Randomly attack someone.
  5. Search for something rare but fun (a truck, a sword, etc)
  6. Upgrade your gear!
  7. Kill something and cook it on a fire (animals, you can fish, become a cannibal). This is also fun because you need to cut down a tree with an ax and also find matches and a stick to make a fireplace and a fire.
  8. Chop down a bush, combine stick & bandage/rag and make a splint. Will come in handy. Even if you don't use it try it so you know how to do it when the time comes.
  9. Write notes and leave them in random places.
  10. Survive. It's a survival game. Just go out there into the world, explore, do stuff, interact with people, see what happens!
  • Like 1

Things to do now:

1. Explore the map, there's tons to see.
  2. Blow up a gas station - it's fun!
  3. Randomly approach and help someone.
  4. Randomly attack someone.
  5. Search for something rare but fun (a truck, a sword, etc)
  6. Upgrade your gear!
  7. Kill something and cook it on a fire (animals, you can fish, become a cannibal). This is also fun because you need to cut down a tree with an ax and also find matches and a stick to make a fireplace and a fire.
  8. Chop down a bush, combine stick & bandage/rag and make a splint. Will come in handy. Even if you don't use it try it so you know how to do it when the time comes.
  9. Write notes and leave them in random places.
  10. Survive. It's a survival game. Just go out there into the world, explore, do stuff, interact with people, see what happens!

Reads "Kill People"  :P

• Like 1

I like to pick a random yard in some town and yell at people to "stay the F* offa my lawn and NO you can't have your damn ball back!"

It's more fun if you have a friend on a rooftop somewhere just in case. ;)

• Like 2

Things to do now:

• Explore the map, there's tons to see.
  • Blow up a gas station - it's fun!
  • Randomly approach and help someone.
  • Randomly attack someone.
  • Search for something rare but fun (a truck, a sword, etc)
  • Upgrade your gear!
  • Kill something and cook it on a fire (animals, you can fish, become a cannibal). This is also fun because you need to cut down a tree with an ax and also find matches and a stick to make a fireplace and a fire.
  • Chop down a bush, combine stick & bandage/rag and make a splint. Will come in handy. Even if you don't use it try it so you know how to do it when the time comes.
  • Write notes and leave them in random places.
  • Survive. It's a survival game. Just go out there into the world, explore, do stuff, interact with people, see what happens!

Ok, please bear with me as I grill you on some of these:

#2: how do I blow up a gas station?

#3: I've tried man, everyone attacks. . Which leads to

#4: Yup. This will be me now.

#7: do I need a knife to get the meat out of something? Also, how do I fish?

#8: I've had to make a splint already, is it the same chopped kindling that's needed as a stick for cooking?

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I've been doing many of these, currently looking for a truck, but I'll start exploring more rather than sticking to towns. Thanks again.

Ok, please bear with me as I grill you on some of these:

#2: how do I blow up a gas station?

#3: I've tried man, everyone attacks. . Which leads to

#4: Yup. This will be me now.

#7: do I need a knife to get the meat out of something? Also, how do I fish?

#8: I've had to make a splint already, is it the same chopped kindling that's needed as a stick for cooking?

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I've been doing many of these, currently looking for a truck, but I'll start exploring more rather than sticking to towns. Thanks again.

Great resource for you

http://dayzintel.com/

Much obliged, B@ker. I hope you're the first one I axe. I mean that in the nicest way ^.^

*hugs*