pale1776

Average Lone Wolf Wouldnt Survive

Sucks ass but happens all the time. I mean jeez where do we draw the line? Are we going to have characters qualified to conduct mastectomies on female characters to prevent breast cancer???

Well they did say they are going to have "soft" character attributes our characters learn over time at some point in game on the road map. So i wouldn't say its out of the question..... XD

No, actually, it isn't. The "lone wolves", AKA the survivalist preppers who hide out in a shack with stashes of guns and food, enough for entire armies? The people who refuse to help other people? Those guys are next-to-guaranteed to die first. From injuries they cannot treat on their own, from disease that leaves them too weak to care for themselves, when their crops fail and they have no other reliable food source. Either way, they will not survive for very long.

The people who group together, help each other out, specialize (farmers, chemists, doctors, weavers, blacksmiths, armorers, etc) and band together as a community? Those are the people who are likely to survive. We have survived FAR worse in reality (Look up the Toba Event, where the worldwide human population was killed off until between 2,000 and 10,000 individuals were left. Our species survived that.) than some fictional zombie apocalypse, simply by banding together when the going gets tough.

Nice rainbow-flavoured thinking there.

Slavery enforced by weapons will be the order of the day.  Why band together when you can force others to work for you at gunpoint?

Slavery enforced by weapons will be the order of the day.  Why band together when you can force others to work for you at gunpoint?

Perhaps because it is an extremely inefficient way to get work done? Especially in an environment where humans would be a scarce resource.

Back to OP: When has anyone made the claim that a feature shouldn't be introduced because it would hurt the lone wolf play style? It seems to me this entire discussion is based on a questionable premise. And no, they should certainly not add psychological disadvantages for lone wolfs, it would be as daft as adding it for people who kills other players. Some people are actually capable of living alone, as some are capable of killing others.

Out of interest rather than thinking of things that the lone-wolf style would be disadvantaged by, what tasks do you think that should be done by more than 1 person?

Just now it's blood bagging and saline drip which I think is wrong. You should be able to do that yourself. After all millions of junkies have shown you don't need any particular skill to put a needle in your arm alone.

That leaves nothing else. However I would like to see some things introduced, even though that would act as a negative to the way I play the game. For example these things..

• The ability to push vehicles
    You have run out of petrol but there is a gas station nearby. It's all down to physics of course, but anyone who has tried to push anything the size of a V3S will know that unless you are on a fairly decent hill you aren't going anywhere. It should take several people to push a large vehicle.

• Large storage that needs two people to carry
    These are not introduced yet, but I would like to see them introduced. A large wooden crate that can be lockable. It would allow for storage inside bases or alternatively can be buried (so long as the player has a shovel). However it takes two people to carry the crate (or to life it out of a buried position). Tents are nice and all but the idea they are large storage is more a legacy from the mod. 

• Certain base building tasks
    We don't know what is going on with this so it's all conjecture. However I think that single players should be able to build bases or barricade already existing buildings. On the flip side a single person wouldn't (well not without a block and tackle - which opens up the option of that being craftable) be able to lift large joists for the more complicated or larger bases.

Anyone else want to add in specific tasks that shouldn't be possible with one player alone?

• Like 1

I wish people would stop comparing doomsday preppers to survivalists. 

• Like 3

As Bertrand Russell once said, "The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." I seen that on a beer mat once.

Oooh, I do like a bit of Betrand Russell, although that quote is out of context here. Russell was discussing it on a national not a personal level. However, allow me to counter it with another Russell quote... "Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear."

• Like 2

Nice rainbow-flavoured thinking there.

But this is still banding together. Banding together doesn't mean people will be egalitarian.

Thing is lone wolf X social organization. Dis thread very good, interesting read folks.

Edited by Avant-Garde

But this is still banding together. Banding together doesn't mean people will be egalitarian.

Oh, there is no shortage of those who would flock to fill henchman/woman vacancies for the opportunity to force others to do their bidding.  Several post in this forum.

Edited by alphadogmeat

Out of interest rather than thinking of things that the lone-wolf style would be disadvantaged by, what tasks do you think that should be done by more than 1 person?

Just now it's blood bagging and saline drip which I think is wrong. You should be able to do that yourself. After all millions of junkies have shown you don't need any particular skill to put a needle in your arm alone.

That leaves nothing else. However I would like to see some things introduced, even though that would act as a negative to the way I play the game. For example these things..

• The ability to push vehicles

You have run out of petrol but there is a gas station nearby. It's all down to physics of course, but anyone who has tried to push anything the size of a V3S will know that unless you are on a fairly decent hill you aren't going anywhere. It should take several people to push a large veh

icle.

• Large storage that needs two people to carry

These are not introduced yet, but I would like to see them introduced. A large wooden crate that can be lockable. It would allow for storage inside bases or alternatively can be buried (so long as the player has a shovel). However it takes two people to carry the crate (or to life it out of a buried position). Tents are nice and all but the idea they are large storage is more a legacy from the mod. 

• Certain base building tasks

We don't know what is going on with this so it's all conjecture. However I think that single players should be able to build bases or barricade already existing buildings. On the flip side a single person wouldn't (well not without a block and tackle - which opens up the option of that being craftable) be able to lift large joists for the more complicated or larger bases.

Anyone else want to add in specific tasks that shouldn't be possible with one player alone?

on a Fourth of July in Korea, while on the DMZ some years ago we had a sort of game day. This included pushing a 2.5 ton truck around fire base Warrior Took about 20 people to do it but we even rolled that puppy up a slight incline.
  • Like 1

on a Fourth of July in Korea, while on the DMZ some years ago we had a sort of game day. This included pushing a 2.5 ton truck around fire base Warrior Took about 20 people to do it but we even rolled that puppy up a slight incline.

You Americans know how to party!

Seriously though, was that loaded or unloaded? The traditional British Army large vehicle is called a "4-tonner" (a Bedford MK) and when unloaded, in neutral and on a flat surface should be pushable by 4 people. That'll be 4 army trained people. Maybe it's just that you need 20 Americans for 4 Brits, that seems like a fair ratio.. ;)

Now to be fair the V3S in the game is, I think, about 5 tonnes and being built in Eastern Europe is bound to be made out of wrought iron so would literally feel like pushing a tank.

Anyway, all that aside I reckon that as a task pushing a vehicle should be a many person task, unless it's downhill when all you'd do is put it into neutral and let go of the handbrake. Without the engine running you'd have fun stopping it mind.

Ive seen many ideas shot down because they would hurt the lone wolf. "I dont want detailed surgery it would hurt lone wolves, dont add sanity/social needs it would hurt the lone wolves, dont add in crew fired weapons it would hurt lone wolves". Honestly, Im tired of hearing everyone say "Oh, well IRL I woud be a lone wolf I wouldnt need anyone then why should I in DayZ?"

Because the fact is most people here cant perform medical operations/CLS techniques to others let alone doing it to yourself. Dont say that you dont need social lives when SHTF, humans invented language and civilization BECAUSE humans need interaction. What happens to the guy who says he doesnt need a girlfriend or friends and spends all day in mommys basement? Hes either a 600 pound socially akward gamer or he becomes a school/mall/theater shooter because society doesnt understand him. (If you dont like the truth, fix the truth)

So I say add in complex surgery, yeah I can do basic CLS treatment on myself and others but according to you all were untrained survivors who shouldnt be able to use tactical stances (see A3 stance in DayZ thread)

And add in sanity/ a need for social contact, yeah I go camping for a couple weeks to a month sometimes but I still crave human contact after a while (and I dunno about yall, but talking to my girlfriend is one of the best parts of my day)

Tl;Dr--> Lone Wolves will die IRL when SHTF and its the EOTWAWKI

No. One, there are plenty of people who are entirely capable of surviving on their own. Even without any real training. I grew up going to festivals and learned small things here and there. Last year, I went out in to the Forest of Dean for a week with a phone, a big bag of food and a sleeping bag. It was fun.

Honestly, if you'd literally go insane not interacting with people on a regular basis, you're incredibly weak minded. Sorry, but it's true. And as for realism, how about we make it so very few people can actually shoot effectively, then? How about we make the survivors as unfit as real people are? How about making your character persist even when you're offline, sleeping? How about the majority of people not knowing how to skin an animal? Fuck, there's plenty of people who can't even cook. Crafting bows? Nope. Crafting knives? Nope. Crafting backpacks other than a courier bag? Nope. Repairing clothing? Nope. Gun maintenance? Nope. Getting fat if you stuff yourself a lot? Losing limbs? Nope. Paralysis? Nope. Not respawning? Nope. Forget sniping. Repairing a car? Nope. Driving large vehicles? Nope. Driving aircraft or boats? Fuck no.

I could go on and on. The game will never be truly realistic, because it's a game. It's not meant to be a gruelingly difficult 100% accurate simulator. The goal has been described as authenticity over realism. Get over it.

And don't project. Just because you think that you'd be unable to survive alone doesn't mean that others couldn't. Believe it or not, there's a lot of instinct when it comes to survival. That's how humans survived thousands of years ago.

While I play as a lone wolf, I'm entirely happy for some things to be impossible for me to do alone. But if they're large features that don't have proper, balanced alternatives, it's kind of bullshit.

The point of the game is that it doesn't have 'hard skills'. Limiting what people can do just because some people can't is unfair on those who do know how to do something.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 3

As Bertrand Russell once said, "The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." I seen that on a beer mat once.

Anyway, they should add it. Think about it. Lone wolves would exist and they would also be fucked in the head. Like people who move into the woods to get away from society and usually aren't the same. I should know, because I think about moving into the woods a lot.

It'd be neat to see a character who was acting funny, all rugged and tore up. It'd be neat for role playing too. Surgery and crew fired weapons would be sick as tits too, man. I agree with you but if there's any part of the community restricting the development of the game, it isn't lone wolves.

(I also don't know why my post is so fucked looking either. I copy / pasted that quote so I guess that's why)

Paste it into notepad first and then copy and paste from there :)

No. One, there are plenty of people who are entirely capable of surviving on their own. Even without any real training. I grew up going to festivals and learned small things here and there. Last year, I went out in to the Forest of Dean for a week with a phone, a big bag of food and a sleeping bag. It was fun.

Honestly, if you'd literally go insane not interacting with people on a regular basis, you're incredibly weak minded. Sorry, but it's true. And as for realism, how about we make it so very few people can actually shoot effectively, then? How about we make the survivors as unfit as real people are? How about making your character persist even when you're offline, sleeping? How about the majority of people not knowing how to skin an animal? Fuck, there's plenty of people who can't even cook. Crafting bows? Nope. Crafting knives? Nope. Crafting backpacks other than a courier bag? Nope. Repairing clothing? Nope. Gun maintenance? Nope. Getting fat if you stuff yourself a lot? Losing limbs? Nope. Paralysis? Nope. Not respawning? Nope. Forget sniping. Repairing a car? Nope. Driving large vehicles? Nope. Driving aircraft or boats? Fuck no.

I could go on and on. The game will never be truly realistic, because it's a game. It's not meant to be a gruelingly difficult 100% accurate simulator. The goal has been described as authenticity over realism. Get over it.

And don't project. Just because you think that you'd be unable to survive alone doesn't mean that others couldn't. Believe it or not, there's a lot of instinct when it comes to survival. That's how humans survived thousands of years ago.

While I play as a lone wolf, I'm entirely happy for some things to be impossible for me to do alone. But if they're large features that don't have proper, balanced alternatives, it's kind of bullshit.

The point of the game is that it doesn't have 'hard skills'. Limiting what people can do just because some people can't is unfair on those who do know how to do something.

1) Going into the woods with a "big bag of food, a phone, and a sleeping bag" does NOT equal survival. It equals camping. Going into the woods for a week with a knife, a bottle, and the clothes you have on your back is survival. Survival is going into a situation/location with a disadvantage, and coming out of it at the end. Actual wilderness survival tends not to be very fun, because it tends to be very stressful, frightening, and alien to most modern Westerners.

2) I, for one, would love to have all, or more plausibly, most, of the things you mentioned. I would play the shit out of the game if it was like that.

3) Actually, the overwhelming majority of modern Westerners have little to no survival "instinct" left. It is something that has to be learned, usually painfully. Survival training isn't actually about learning how to purify water, how to build shelters, how to identify edible plants, or how to navigate without a map or compass. It is about fear management. There is a common phrase concerning survival: "Survival is 1% dumb luck (and local conditions) , 4% equipment, 15% skills, and 80% the will to live". Knowing all of those things helps keep the fear away.  I've had older teenagers take my (relatively advanced, but still) Wilderness Survival course, full of bravado, but by the end of the week I've seen all of them break down (occasionally tears are involved), form up, and (sometimes) pass the test at the end of the week.

4) People developing mental issues as a result of isolation has been documented. I suggest you read up on it. We are a "social species".

5) Humans survived thousands of years ago because we banded together and helped each other out. Want to know what a common form of death sentence used during the European Neolithic was? Forced isolation, in the form of exile, from the tribe.

5) Real life is not balanced, nor is it fair. I know how to do some things very well, but some other areas, I am next to useless in. Such as the game should be. This was, and still is, supposed to be an "anti-game". Realism when possible, and authenticity when not.

Get over it? HA. Get over yourself.

• Like 1

1) Going into the woods with a "big bag of food, a phone, and a sleeping bag" does NOT equal survival. It equals camping. Going into the woods for a week with a knife, a bottle, and the clothes you have on your back is survival. Survival is going into a situation/location with a disadvantage, and coming out of it at the end. Actual wilderness survival tends not to be very fun, because it tends to be very stressful, frightening, and alien to most modern Westerners.

3) Actually, the overwhelming majority of modern Westerners have little to no survival "instinct" left. It is something that has to be learned, usually painfully. Survival training isn't actually about learning how to purify water, how to build shelters, how to identify edible plants, or how to navigate without a map or compass. It is about fear management. There is a common phrase concerning survival: "Survival is 1% dumb luck (and local conditions) , 4% equipment, 15% skills, and 80% the will to live". Knowing all of those things helps keep the fear away.  I've had older teenagers take my (relatively advanced, but still) Wilderness Survival course, full of bravado, but by the end of the week I've seen all of them break down (occasionally tears are involved), form up, and (sometimes) pass the test at the end of the week.

5) Humans survived thousands of years ago because we banded together and helped each other out. Want to know what a common form of death sentence used during the European Neolithic was? Forced isolation, in the form of exile, from the tribe.

For 1 & 3 why the hate on for "westerners"? Are you saying people from the east are inherently better at wilderness survival?  Take a Tokyoite or Seoulite or Bejinger and plop them into the Maine woods with what we start with in DayZ and see how well they do.  You aren't considering personal hygiene in your equations either, persons who did their best to maintain their personal hygiene while in German Concentration Camps were more likely to survive than those who did not.   This also proved true in the Gulag and in Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese POW camps. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=hsuSBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=maintain+personal+hygiene+in+prison+camps&source=bl&ots=i61s3QPtvC&sig=WdRdGC_0mPanGfkyqMHEPu6jMRw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vReqVNTIEIrnoATliIHoDQ&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=maintain%20personal%20hygiene%20in%20prison%20camps&f=false

5.  We had dogs too, which is what would provide salvation and companionship for the lone wolf.  I have heard it said seriously, in anthropological circles, that without dogs co-evolving with us there is a good possibility that civilization as it is today would not exist.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

You Americans know how to party!

Seriously though, was that loaded or unloaded? The traditional British Army large vehicle is called a "4-tonner" (a Bedford MK) and when unloaded, in neutral and on a flat surface should be pushable by 4 people. That'll be 4 army trained people. Maybe it's just that you need 20 Americans for 4 Brits, that seems like a fair ratio.. ;)

Now to be fair the V3S in the game is, I think, about 5 tonnes and being built in Eastern Europe is bound to be made out of wrought iron so would literally feel like pushing a tank.

Anyway, all that aside I reckon that as a task pushing a vehicle should be a many person task, unless it's downhill when all you'd do is put it into neutral and let go of the handbrake. Without the engine running you'd have fun stopping it mind.

It was an M35 cargo truck, 2.5 tons in not what the truck weighs..  That is the tonnage it can carry cross country, it weighs almost 13000 pounds empty. Roughly the same as a V3S. 

Edited by Barnabus

For 1 & 3 why the hate on for "westerners"? Are you saying people from the east are inherently better at wilderness survival?  Take a Tokyoite or Seoulite or Bejinger and plop them into the Maine woods with what we start with in DayZ and see how well they do.  You aren't considering personal hygiene in your equations either, persons who did their best to maintain their personal hygiene while in German Concentration Camps were more likely to survive than those who did not.   This also proved true in the Gulag and in Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese POW camps. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=hsuSBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=maintain+personal+hygiene+in+prison+camps&source=bl&ots=i61s3QPtvC&sig=WdRdGC_0mPanGfkyqMHEPu6jMRw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vReqVNTIEIrnoATliIHoDQ&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=maintain%20personal%20hygiene%20in%20prison%20camps&f=false

5.  We had dogs too, which is what would provide salvation and companionship for the lone wolf.  I have heard it said seriously, in anthropological circles, that without dogs co-evolving with us there is a good possibility that civilization as it is today would not exist.

1) I don't mean "westerners" as "People from the Western Hemisphere", I mean "people from the Developed world, used to that sort of lifestyle".

A rather outdated term, and derogatory perhaps, but it is stuck in my mind and I used it. I apologize for the confusion.

2) Forgot about dogs. Yes, dogs would help, and played a significant role in the development of our species (they are some of the few animals that are endurance hunters, just like us, so we would hunt together and share the kills. Eventually, whole packs would move in with humans and become essentially domesticated). Unfortunately, in Day Z, I forsee a whole lot of griefing involving killing and eating (or just plain old killing) other players dogs for the lolz.

• Like 1

1) I don't mean "westerners" as "People from the Western Hemisphere", I mean "people from the Developed world, used to that sort of lifestyle".

A rather outdated term, and derogatory perhaps, but it is stuck in my mind and I used it. I apologize for the confusion.

2) Forgot about dogs. Yes, dogs would help, and played a significant role in the development of our species (they are some of the few animals that are endurance hunters, just like us, so we would hunt together and share the kills. Eventually, whole packs would move in with humans and become essentially domesticated). Unfortunately, in Day Z, I forsee a whole lot of griefing involving killing and eating (or just plain old killing) other players dogs for the lolz.

1 Ok, got it.

2. Yeah, which is why I am of two minds about having dogs in game.  Love them too much to have one tortured in front of me in DayZ.  I'd be raging

Ive seen many ideas shot down because they would hurt the lone wolf. "I dont want detailed surgery it would hurt lone wolves, dont add sanity/social needs it would hurt the lone wolves, dont add in crew fired weapons it would hurt lone wolves". Honestly, Im tired of hearing everyone say "Oh, well IRL I woud be a lone wolf I wouldnt need anyone then why should I in DayZ?"

Because the fact is most people here cant perform medical operations/CLS techniques to others let alone doing it to yourself. Dont say that you dont need social lives when SHTF, humans invented language and civilization BECAUSE humans need interaction. What happens to the guy who says he doesnt need a girlfriend or friends and spends all day in mommys basement? Hes either a 600 pound socially akward gamer or he becomes a school/mall/theater shooter because society doesnt understand him. (If you dont like the truth, fix the truth)

So I say add in complex surgery, yeah I can do basic CLS treatment on myself and others but according to you all were untrained survivors who shouldnt be able to use tactical stances (see A3 stance in DayZ thread)

And add in sanity/ a need for social contact, yeah I go camping for a couple weeks to a month sometimes but I still crave human contact after a while (and I dunno about yall, but talking to my girlfriend is one of the best parts of my day)

Tl;Dr--> Lone Wolves will die IRL when SHTF and its the EOTWAWKI

I agree, if this game wants to be survival oriented and atleast a bit realistic then bonding with others (even strangers) should prove beneficial (merely to the point that it makes surviving easier)

Lone wolves should be allowed to exist, but they should be most vulnerable at getting wounded, a real lone wolf would prevent any contact with others since he will always be out numbered. Not to mention he will not be able to help himself if he passes out or sleeps while a horde comes to his campfire.

This last situation isn't unrealistic (just watch season 1 of the walking dead again). If you form a group, you might die, yet your group might be saved by your death. Not to mention that should you have any problem (no appropriate medical supplies f.e.) your group can go searching for those much needed medical supplies.

TL;DR;

Lone Wolves will not disappear, but it should be much easier/beneficial to form a group. This is purely natural (considering you play as a human being, not some kind of alien)

Being a Lone Wolf in this game is pretty hard, especially when you are up against a group of people.

Very easy to loose track on one of them and end up getting killed. That said, I'm getting better and

better for every day, more patient with my shots and to my surroundings. I'm also getting less and

less anxious when I see that I am outnumbered and more likely to strike in a aggressive way,

instead of trying to hide/stay hidden. With 500-1000 more hours in the game, I am pretty certain

I will be of much annoyance.

Edited by StayAlive

2) I, for one, would love to have all, or more plausibly, most, of the things you mentioned. I would play the shit out of the game if it was like that.

4) People developing mental issues as a result of isolation has been documented. I suggest you read up on it. We are a "social species".

5) Real life is not balanced, nor is it fair. I know how to do some things very well, but some other areas, I am next to useless in. Such as the game should be. This was, and still is, supposed to be an "anti-game". Realism when possible, and authenticity when not.

Get over it? HA. Get over yourself.

1) But it's just like what DayZ is. You go through a town, loot as much as you can and then you go into the woods (or not) and survive off of what you've looted. You can hunt too, but, if you're capable of shooting and remaining quiet in the woods, that's entirely doable anyway.

2) Yeah, maybe you claim you would. Fuck, you might actually like all of that if it was in game, though it'd make it ridiculously difficult (and things you're capable of doing IRL wouldn't be possible ingame for you either, as it'd be set for the lowest common denominator). But the vast, vast majority of people would not. So get over it. Your opinion alone does not matter. It's what the majority of people want.

3) Survival is incredibly possible if you know what to eat, how to navigate, how to build shelters and how to purify water... So... Kind of a ridiculous premise you had there.

4) We are a social species. Sure. But isolation alone rarely means 100% that you're going to go insane - especially in a survival situation (people come out of those with forms of PTSD sometimes, of course, but that's not due to the isolation and it's pretty manageable unless very extreme).

5) Hermits. The main reason we had to band together was because we needed groups to hunt or defend ourselves from other groups of humans. You don't need groups to hunt if you have a gun. If you come across a group of players ingame, unless you're very good at evasion or PVP, they'll kill you. No lack of realism here.

It's a game. It's never going to be gruelingly realistic. But even if it was, people would still be able to survive by themselves. I understand it at the point where somebody gets shot that, realistically, there's a high chance that they're going to die, but that's the case even if you have a group. You're not going to have sterile conditions in which to operate on somebody. It's incredibly unlikely that you would survive being shot with or without other people. How are you going to claim that you want serious realism and then have everybody be skilled surgeons?

But, as a lone wolf, it's easier to be stealthy and avoid getting shot. Most lone wolves will tell you that.

Edited by Beizs

Being a Lone Wolf in this game is pretty hard, especially when you are up against a group of people.

Very easy to loose track on one of them and end up getting killed. That said, I'm getting better and

better for every day, more patient with my shots and to my surroundings. I'm also getting less and

less anxious when I see that I am outnumbered and more likely to strike in a aggressive way,

instead of trying to hide/stay hidden. With 500-1000 more hours in the game, I am pretty certain

I will be of much annoyance.

Playing lone wolf for me really is just a matter of being really aware, and always taking the safer route even if it takes longer. Im always thinking cover, and never staying out in the open for more then a minute or so. When you do encounter another player you need to be really aggressive. Everyone pisses and mouns kos and kos that here on the forums, but when Im in game I know better, I know all the forums kos this and that is all just bull shit in game...It so true! Its just a matter of not taking my chances. For me it was hard at 1st, not so much anymore. After playing solo for off and on for the past year, I have take n note on what to do and what not to do. How I have been killed and what not to do next time. I almost never been shot in the woods, the times I have been shot have always been in a urban setting or inside military barack. So I am always super careful in those areas. I also know its always better to be up high or use a military chrest (meaning using a hill to cover your movements). When I go from point a to b, I  do not run on roads, I tend to stay in the tree lines. ect ect. Its not really that bad after a while, so long as I stick to that. But I always crave company and enjoy group play too, so I am not a total lone wolfer.

I been reading through this thread, and I think much of this is kind of overthinking what a lone wolfer is ingame....its just a game not real life. Dosnt mean we dont like company or some kind of weird hermit. Its simply a play style.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 2

Honestly, if you'd literally go insane not interacting with people on a regular basis, you're incredibly weak minded. Sorry, but it's true. And as for realism, how about we make it so very few people can actually shoot effectively, then? How about we make the survivors as unfit as real people are? How about making your character persist even when you're offline, sleeping? How about the majority of people not knowing how to skin an animal? Fuck, there's plenty of people who can't even cook. Crafting bows? Nope. Crafting knives? Nope. Crafting backpacks other than a courier bag? Nope. Repairing clothing? Nope. Gun maintenance? Nope. Getting fat if you stuff yourself a lot? Losing limbs? Nope. Paralysis? Nope. Not respawning? Nope. Forget sniping. Repairing a car? Nope. Driving large vehicles? Nope. Driving aircraft or boats? Fuck no.

The point of the game is that it doesn't have 'hard skills'. Limiting what people can do just because some people can't is unfair on those who do know how to do something.

Mkay, first of all thats luxury camping. Who the hell takes a phone camping?

Second, dont make stuff up. If you can read without twisting the words into what you want them to say, you can see that I clearly state that Im more than capapble of survival. Hunting, fishing, skinnin, Ive been doin that since day one. I can, and have, stopped bleeding and pulled glass sticks and blades out of myself and others. I can sew up a hole (not purty but yeah) and have been lost, actually lost in the woods (no phone mind you) for 16 days. I survived, but the fear in that situation made me crave human contact. Ive been alone in odd and ratger frightening situations alot, and I always looked forward to talking to the girlfriend, family ect.

And by the way, Survivalists and Preppers are NOT the same. Im a Survivalist, and my group of others have plans, BOLs and contingencies to ensure our and our families (and any peaceful wanderers in need of help)survival. We arent paranoid Dbags who would shoot on sight (much like Dayz) but we all onow that we may have to kill to survive.

Preppers are paranoid basement dwellers who KoS in Dayz to train for TEOTWAWKI :D

1) But it's just like what DayZ is. You go through a town, loot as much as you can and then you go into the woods (or not) and survive off of what you've looted. You can hunt too, but, if you're capable of shooting and remaining quiet in the woods, that's entirely doable anyway.

Sure, right now. But right now isn't the finished game, and it doesn't have a lot of what the finished game will have.

3) Survival is incredibly possible if you know what to eat, how to navigate, how to build shelters and how to purify water... So... Kind of a ridiculous premise you had there.

Sure it is, it's also incredibly possible to poison yourself even if you have a book of edible flora and fauna on your person (See: Christopher McCandless)

4) We are a social species. Sure. But isolation alone rarely means 100% that you're going to go insane - especially in a survival situation (people come out of those with forms of PTSD sometimes, of course, but that's not due to the isolation and it's pretty manageable unless very extreme).

Social Isolation, poor nutrition, high stress, lack of sleep, and exposure to the elements is a cocktail for the body's internal chemistry to go completely out of whack. It's not unreasonable to assume that someone who has been out in the woods, fending for themselves, for an extended period of time would be a little touched in the head.

5) Hermits. The main reason we had to band together was because we needed groups to hunt or defend ourselves from other groups of humans. You don't need groups to hunt if you have a gun. If you come across a group of players ingame, unless you're very good at evasion or PVP, they'll kill you. No lack of realism here.

Ah yes, hermits. That .001% of the human population (or less), who live on their own. Oddly enough, most hermits have contact with other people in some form or fashion, and those mountain men you (or perhaps someone else) brought up a few posts back did as well. Being truly, 100% isolated from other people is not the natural human condition. The main reason humans banded together was because it made life easier, not to protect ourselves from other groups of humans. Protection was a welcome benefit of living in a larger group, but it was not the primary impetus.

It's a game. It's never going to be gruelingly realistic. But even if it was, people would still be able to survive by themselves. I understand it at the point where somebody gets shot that, realistically, there's a high chance that they're going to die, but that's the case even if you have a group. You're not going to have sterile conditions in which to operate on somebody. It's incredibly unlikely that you would survive being shot with or without other people. How are you going to claim that you want serious realism and then have everybody be skilled surgeons?

No, of course it won't. Even still, there should be things that lone wolves simply either can't do, or have a MUCH harder time doing. Vehicle repair is a big one. It's much easier to move an engine block, or a set of tires, if you have 2-3 people, than if you do it on your own. Base building as well is something that should be much harder and more time consuming to do on your own as opposed to with people. Yes, Dick Proenneke built his cabin on his own, by hand, but most people are not knowledgeable enough to be able to do that on their own.

• Like 1

Sure it is, it's also incredibly possible to poison yourself even if you have a book of edible flora and fauna on your person (See: Christopher McCandless)

Actually, Christopher McCandless died of regular old starvation. That whole bit about eating "moldy seeds" was effectively made up by John Krakauer, all based upon (really low quality) pictoral evidence of Christopher holding a bag of (apparently, according to Krakauer) "moldy" seeds. Autopsy evidence found no evidence of poisoning.