Sign in to follow this  
Noble Savage

DayZ and Dimmdrive

There's a utility currently climbing up the steam charts called Dimmdrive. the devs claims it will deliver substantial performance boosts to any game. Here's the storepage link http://store.steampowered.com/app/337070

Just wondering if anyone here has tried it with DayZ, one of the devs has said in a steam forum thread that the utility does indeed deliver a huge boost to Arma 3, of course he would say that : ) Really interested to know what others think of such programs, I'd especially like to hear from anyone that has tried it with DayZ.

Edited by Noble Savage

ram disks were used in the mod to boost performance remember that for the sa you would need about 9 gigs of spare ram for this plus the copy times over to a ram disk would take a while so if your playing 24/7 keeping the game on the ramdisk you would see load time increases and a slight performance gain but in my eyes nothing worth paying £23 for and copying the game over at each start up 

• Like 2

I have used this before

Edited by DeatHTaX

You realize you can do what this program does without paying a dime, right?

Would it work? Yeah, RAM disks work. Are they going to make a $32 difference? No.

ram disks were used in the mod to boost performance remember that for the sa you would need about 9 gigs of spare ram for this plus the copy times over to a ram disk would take a while so if your playing 24/7 keeping the game on the ramdisk you would see load time increases and a slight performance gain but in my eyes nothing worth paying £23 for and copying the game over at each start up 

I have 16GB of RAM but to be honest my performance is not terrible, although any boost would be welcome. I do agree with you that £23 seems a bit steep for what might be a marginal increase in performance and certain added inconvenience. Still be interested to hear from someone that has tried it and benchmarked the results even if that info would be subjective as PC specs can differ wildly.

I have 16GB of RAM but to be honest my performance is not terrible, although any boost would be welcome. I do agree with you that £23 seems a bit steep for what might be a marginal increase in performance and certain added inconvenience. Still be interested to hear from someone that has tried it and benchmarked the results even if that info would be subjective as PC specs can differ wildly.

I've bought it and tried it out before. It's definitely worth the purchase.

It gave me around 3 - 6 extra frames when I was in cities. Usually I would use gamebooster and that was around a 1 - 2 fps boost, very minimal.

I would say go for it. It definitely is worth it. Rick doesn't know what he's talking about.

Edited by DeatHTaX

Currently you won't likely see any difference.

Edited by St. Jimmy

ram drives dont increase fps they're for eliminating the lag in loading textures etc., a good SSD is 90% as good and way more convenient

Currently you won't likely see any difference.

Jimmy you know that's not true. Are you sure you had the settings configured correctly?

No one here is making any sense! This product totally works. 

Edited by DeatHTaX

Jimmy you know that's not true. Are you sure you had the settings configured correctly?

No one here is making any sense! This product totally works. 

unfortunately for you I read your first unedited reply and therefore I can't take anything you say seriously, you have just joined your pal on my ignore list ; )

Edited by Noble Savage

unfortunately for you I read your first unedited reply and therefore I can't take anything you say seriously, you have just joined your pal on my ignore list ; )

oh not not NOBLE SAVAGE'S IGNORE LIST! MY GOD!!!!!!

The place where logic goes to die

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 2

There are numerous RAM disks out there, you don't need to pay for one. I've tried it for both the mod and the SA, SA is considerably more awkward to configure as you are dicking about with steam files while the mod were just installed normally.

Ultimately though, it doesn't improve your frame rate. It will however make your game load quicker and if you suffer from stutters as assets load in from a physical hard disk then it should even them out. You should be looking to shift somewhere around 7Gb worth of files across to it, so in that sense it's probably best if you are working with a machine that has 12 - 16Gb of memory installed (I would recommend the latter, but as that is the memory I have I've never tried it with 12. Technically it *should* work although you'll be cutting it close).

Obviously for us paupers who don't have an SSD it's nice to see the game pop up in a matter of seconds compared to the somewhat chunky loading times from a platter drive but it is a lot of faffing about for what I would consider a limited return.

Edited by ricp

one of the devs has said in a steam forum thread that the utility does indeed deliver a huge boost to Arma 3, of course he would say that : )

Well yes ramdisk for Arma 3 can be worth it. Should give some boost especially for flying performance.

Before I had dimmdrive, my DayZ ran like crap. I would definitely recommend it. At first I wasn't sure whether or not it was worth the money, but an extra 5 - 7 frames is definitely worth it imho. Especially in those firefights in the cities.

Before I had dimmdrive, my DayZ ran like crap. I would definitely recommend it. At first I wasn't sure whether or not it was worth the money, but an extra 5 - 7 frames is definitely worth it imho. Especially in those firefights in the cities.

Well said, sir. And my...aren't you a handsome one?

too obvious troll, far too obvious, ignored.

If you are getting an extra 5-7 FPS from a RAM disk (RD) then your hard drive must run on coal.

Well said, sir. And my...aren't you a handsome one?

Do not create multiple accounts

If you are getting an extra 5-7 FPS from a RAM disk (RD) then your hard drive must run on coal.

I would pay to see a coal-powered hard drive

Used RamDisk before, Faster load times and less random stutters, seems like the only real difference with dimmdrive is the ease of setting things up and the cost.

Got the same results when i upgraded to an ssd, save your cash, If you dont have one already you can get a 120gb ssd for as little as £43 now, though i'd spend a little more than that for such a crucial bit of hardware.