aquamonkey

What has been your biggest "I'm done" moment?

My biggest I am done moment was when I realized how time consuming DayZ is and how important other things and like goals in real life was.

That moment was yesterday when I deleted DayZ. I have no regrets, it was a beautiful experience that I will surely miss. I stick to arcade shooters like Black Ops 2 and CS GO now a get in and out quickly experience. I even built a new PC for DayZ but in the end I had to accept my loss, I cannot let it consume me so I deleted it for the greater good.

I have a job, wife and kid.  I'm on vacation all next week and the wife and kid have been at the in-laws for a few days.  Plus it's raining out.  With the Mod, I could have easily spent most of that time playing DayZ, but the SA just doesn't grab me the way the Mod did.  I played for like an hour this morning.  My character is dressed like a Jersey guido.  I have a revolver with 10 rounds of ammo, an AKM with one round chambered and a collection of random ammo types for guns I've yet to find.  Ammo is so precious, I'm afraid to use any of it, which I don't really need to as even on a full-ish server, I rarely run across anyone.  And any zombies can be handily dispatched with an ax.  So my character is sitting there inside a house taking shelter from the constant rain. 

Finally, I just said "fuck it".  I don't feel like sitting inside all day from the rain playing a game watching a homeless sit inside all day because of the rain.

I did see a buck though. 

• Like 1

When ghillie suits were 6 per 6 restarts or something like that. Now they are pretty common so I'm fairly happy about that. I was getting fed up with everything being really really really rare and all that. I got super excited for the suits only to hear that they are also really rare. Which really upset me since netting should be the easiest thing to come by.

I have a job, wife and kid.  I'm on vacation all next week and the wife and kid have been at the in-laws for a few days.  Plus it's raining out.  With the Mod, I could have easily spent most of that time playing DayZ, but the SA just doesn't grab me the way the Mod did.  I played for like an hour this morning.  My character is dressed like a Jersey guido.  I have a revolver with 10 rounds of ammo, an AKM with one round chambered and a collection of random ammo types for guns I've yet to find.  Ammo is so precious, I'm afraid to use any of it, which I don't really need to as even on a full-ish server, I rarely run across anyone.  And any zombies can be handily dispatched with an ax.  So my character is sitting there inside a house taking shelter from the constant rain. 

Finally, I just said "fuck it".  I don't feel like sitting inside all day from the rain playing a game watching a homeless sit inside all day because of the rain.

I did see a buck though. 

If you're afraid to use your ammo that just means you are too afraid to sustain it. This is what a hacker took from me last night: 2014-12-27_00011_zps0a4b974c.jpg

+7 more full magazines out of sight. I never fear using my ammo because I spend a lot of time in places where it is common. That said, I'm not pissed that I died, I'm pissed about HOW I died. If it had been a firefight, or even a misstep in the open where someone got the drop on me, got it. However when I'm getting headshotted through a wall by a guy that drops half my group, It annoys me.

Just google "DayZ hacks" and you'll see what a horrible problem this is.

Just did a little search on google for DayZ SA hacks and yup lots of good stuff but they cost money.

In all honesty I bet playing DayZ with certain hacks would be so much more fun. For example hacks to avoid stupid things like hunger and thirst, loss of blood etc its a lil nice at first but gets annoying quick.

Like I say, my life has little time in it and with what little spare time I have I am not going to spend it looking for food and healing myself and all that. if I was 12 and still in school it would be just fine, but its clear DayZ is not for everyone and most certainly not for those over a specific age.

The DayZ mod seemed more useful for people over 18 years of age and out of school I even remember starting off with a gun in the MOD and the starvation and thirst is a lot less to worry about in the MOD. IN my opinion the SA targets those under 18 years who has no job or responsibility.

This is a survival game though. If you don't have time for that, play Killing floor or something.

yeah I realized that after a while I think after 60 hours of DayZ. Well I have killing floor but I prefer Black Ops 2 and CS GO.

I have hope that at some point the devs may add in a casual mode for those who don't have time for survival simulation. That is so that everyone can have a go at DayZ regardless of their situation.

Middle of nowhere, and I really do mean middle of nowhere and up pops a guy in a ghillie suit and fills me full of ammo from some form of heavy automatic weapon, no chat, I wasn't armed (or at least I wasn't holding anything, just happily minding my own business miles from any town and *dead*.

I mean, just what is the point of that sort of game play? I'm not bitching I was killed, meh, we all get killed and my killer will get killed, it's no big deal, but just what the fuck is the point of people like this? What sort of fun do they derive from killing an unarmed person who is clearly not threatening them (and to be fair I hadn't even seen them, he was in a ghillie). It's just so pointless. I had lots of food and ammo yet that would have been ruined by the number of bullets he put in me, such a waste.

Not so much a "I'm done", just more an exasperated "what's the point, dude?".

• Like 1

Aside from the glitches we all experience (put M4 down on floor, M4 vanishes, the falling through the floor bug, etc), my "I'm done [until Beta]" moment will probably be when my current char dies. I've had him since the start of the 0.49 wipe - three and a half months ago. He's pretty much as geared up as any player has ever been, and it's been damn hard work, scavenging, fighting, trading, and running. Jesus H Corbett, the running. We're talking thousands of miles here.

It doesn't really matter how he dies, though I'd rather not lose him to a wipe. I think at that point it would just be psychologically good for me to give the game a rest tbh.

Aaaaand...my three and a half month old char, who survived through thick and thin, has just been reset.

• Like 1

I guess my point was that even when I don't have responsibilities for a few days, I don't feel like the game holds my attention anymore.

Maybe it's better to explain in terms of how DayZ make me feel engaged rather than how it doesn't.  I was in some no-name town north of Green Mountain and got soaked by the rain.  Hypothermia started setting in so I went about making a fire.  Unfortunately, my ax was ruined from killing some zombies or bashing down locked doors or whatever.  So I started back towards the town and was lucky enough to find a fire ax in an old garage.  From there it was easy to make a fire and warm up, all the while keeping a nervous eye out for anyone who might have spotted the fire. 

That's the sort of stuff I'm looking for.  Like the difference between your character living or dying is finding or maintaining that one piece of critical equipment.  Or that choices you make (like building a fire) are often the lesser of two evils (dying of hypothermia or calling every banding within sight of your fire).

Or player interaction.  Last time I played a few weeks ago, I met a total stranger in Electro.  We managed to team up and have all sorts of interactions with other players (friending, having to put our friend down when he got critically glitched, robbing and killing people who fucked with us, etc) on the road to Balota before the server reset.  That was a lot of fun. 

I think there's still a lot of potential, but those moments that actually make me enjoy the game just feel fewer and farther between.

Think of if this way.  Why does that Frankie1080p guy have 50 videos about the Mod but only 8 on the Standalone?

ricp - The "point" of DayZ is long stretches of boredom punctuated by a few seconds of terror ending with either elation or rage.  Always ssume some ghillie suited A-hole is going to pop up and empty his clip into you for no reason at any moment.

Edited by bfisher

"Surely it's just a nostalgia, no way the old mod is still better than SA"

*plays the mod for 1h*

*plays Breaking Point*

I'm done with SA.

Was at vybor military base, was hiding behind concrete wall as i saw a guy approaching from kabanino, he stopped.  Then he started shooting straight through the wall.  Too obviously aimbot.

ricp - The "point" of DayZ is long stretches of boredom punctuated by a few seconds of terror ending with either elation or rage.  Always ssume some ghillie suited A-hole is going to pop up and empty his clip into you for no reason at any moment.

I appreciate that. I mean it's my fault for letting my guard down. I'm not complaining that I got killed, but it does just seem so pointless. It was the easiest kill you would have as I wasn't ready for it (as I say, clearly my fault, but really "middle of nowhere") and all my kit would have been ruined considering the amount of bullets he put in me. He was still firing 5 seconds later.

"Surely it's just a nostalgia, no way the old mod is still better than SA"

*plays the mod for 1h*

*plays Breaking Point*

I'm done with SA.

Really? REALLY? Wow! Like, wow!

The mod feels awkward, clunky and considerably emptier than SA.

I had my character geared up exactly the way I wanted him. Took so many tries to get him that way.. Was messing around with persistance and dropping things and picking them up over a few days in a very remote location....just messing with the game and pressing different buttons and trying to learn when I accidentally committed suicide. Shot myself with my AK 74 that had a mag and 30 rds.  That was really fun. 

The time I was killed by an 87 year old with wrinkly balls. I assumed his balls were of the wrinkled variety and that he was somewhat elderly only because his name was, "Old Wrinkly Balls"

Every moment in this game is a big I'm done moment. You agro zombies right after spawn and they will find you where ever you hide and their hitting range is absurd. You can't run up a two step stair, you start to walk really slow. The game is so clunky. After a year its worse than ever.

Edited by JonySK
  • Like 1

Really? REALLY? Wow! Like, wow!

The mod feels awkward, clunky and considerably emptier than SA.

Awkward? Becasue it has zombies?

Clunky? Seriously? At least we have responsive controlls and even the animations feel more natural.

I don't mind a bit emptier map, I actually quite like it because it forces me to move around rather than hitting one village and getting fully geared up with enough food and drinks to feed entire server. I was never a big fan of sh*tload of fancy clothes and other useless items, so I couldn't care less about them.

Awkward? Becasue it has zombies?

I wouldn't say that the zombies in the mod are actually any better than the ones in SA. Certainly it's taken some time and I wouldn't have said that a couple of months ago, but now? Meh.. much of a muchness between the two. And SA's zombies are going to get better.

Clunky? Seriously? At least we have responsive controlls and even the animations feel more natural.

That inventory. Oooft.

I don't mind a bit empter map, I actually quite like it because it forces me to move around rather than hitting one village and getting fully geared up with enough food and drinks to feed entire server. I was never a big fan of sh*tload of fancy clothes and other useless items, so I couldn't care less about them.

The introduction of building insides is a huge jump, imo. It really adds to the realism and immersion. Do I like them because you can gear out of them, not really I want gear extra rare, but because of the who emphasis of the game changes because of them. The DayZ mod feels like a bank holiday Sunday on the Western Isles* by the way everything is shut up.

(* that's in Scotland, but as you have the avatar you do I am unsure whether I need to explain that or not)

Middle of nowhere, and I really do mean middle of nowhere and up pops a guy in a ghillie suit and fills me full of ammo from some form of heavy automatic weapon, no chat, I wasn't armed (or at least I wasn't holding anything, just happily minding my own business miles from any town and *dead*.

I mean, just what is the point of that sort of game play? I'm not bitching I was killed, meh, we all get killed and my killer will get killed, it's no big deal, but just what the fuck is the point of people like this? What sort of fun do they derive from killing an unarmed person who is clearly not threatening them (and to be fair I hadn't even seen them, he was in a ghillie). It's just so pointless. I had lots of food and ammo yet that would have been ruined by the number of bullets he put in me, such a waste.

Not so much a "I'm done", just more an exasperated "what's the point, dude?".

You must be new to the Internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Griefer

I could see this happening on the mod, with the verbose logs and in-game kill messages. But how can a SA server renter admin, identify you as the killer?

I have no idea, this happend when novi town was added. I was thinking allot about it, whether i accidently joined the same server twice, or if he checked my pulse when we crashed into each other... and than i accidently joined same server again...maybe?

Maybe there was only a group of people + me so he knew.... maybe i accidently joined one of those "clan members or kick" servers.. No idea, If i remember correctly the first server didnt kick me, but it restarted, but im positive i got kicked twice in a row after - i really wouldnt remember but that was one of my first kills in SA & the first time seeing m4, so i was obviously a bit hmph about it.

Edited by halp

Once I met these two guys and we travelled around looting shit and murdering people for shoes. We saw a cow and ran at it guns blazing like lord of the flies. I run into the nearby village to find a sharp object, see a guy with a machete, and yell "GIVE ME THAT MACHETE". He listened, I gave him some tac bacon for the trouble, and I skinned the cow. My groups runs to the top of the Berenzino construction site. I start setting up the fire, when a zombie runs up the stairs and attacks me. We all panic, I get my axe out, I see one of the guys take out his gun to shoot the zombie. I see the muzzle flash, and I'm dead.

For me it was definitely after I had spent nearly an hour with this rolling street by street gunfight with some bandits in Chernogorsk, and the server crashed just as I killed the last of them. When it came back online, it had rolled back to where I was standing out in the open - and they shot me as I loaded in. 

I could hear their mocking laughter as I bled out in the street, and they were all -GIRLS-.

I definitely rage quit that night.

Of course I was back at it in the morning, but yeah - Even developers have these moments. Especially considering we already spend most of our waking moments during the week working on it. So we're pretty close to it, as the saying goes. A break never hurts.

I have the same approach when I can't get past an area in a game - I just set the controller down, and walk away for a day or so.

Maybe you can do us a favour and figure out why when i push 1, 2 or 3 or what ever my player doesnt get out that item... or why sometimes i can run and get my axe out and sometimes i stop and wait for the Z to bash me. 

This bug has been a feature of the game since early mod days and has to be one of the most annoying except the loot wipe when logged in bug which makes me rage quit for months at a time.

Edited by irzero