PhillyT

Too many guns or just silly spawning

So I managed to reach NWAF and hunt around a bit. Found lots of 5.45 and 7.62 ammo, an AKM mag, an AK101 and an Ak74. You might see my problem.

While great to find the gun, the number of ammo, mag, gun combinations is creating a real problem. I ended up taking the mag and lots of ammo while keeping my m133. Leaving those ak hurt, but they are valueless with a mag.

It will be nice if the clean up the mag spawns. If an AKM spawns, spawn mags for it somewhere. If an ak47 spawns, leave mags somewhere nearby. No base is going to have all three weapons for their soldiers.

Do AKM Even spawn at bases right now?

• Like 1

Yes AKMs still do spawn at Barracks, just it seems they are slightly more rare than the other AK's and I do understand your frustration when it comes to being able to find the gun or the ammo that goes to the gun, over the other guns that spawn in those locations, the one thing that erks me the most is, the over abundance of civilian weaponry at military installations, now I know that there would be civilians working at those places, and their guns, ect. would be left there, but to me, if your going all the way to a base or airfield, you would expect a military grade gun to spawn over say, a shotgun or a repeater, lol...

Edited by ComikZ

So I managed to reach NWAF and hunt around a bit. Found lots of 5.45 and 7.62 ammo, an AKM mag, an AK101 and an Ak74. You might see my problem.

While great to find the gun, the number of ammo, mag, gun combinations is creating a real problem. I ended up taking the mag and lots of ammo while keeping my m133. Leaving those ak hurt, but they are valueless with a mag.

It will be nice if the clean up the mag spawns. If an AKM spawns, spawn mags for it somewhere. If an ak47 spawns, leave mags somewhere nearby. No base is going to have all three weapons for their soldiers.

Do AKM Even spawn at bases right now?

I disagree. Yes both weapons and ammo should be in the spawn table but no they should not spawn nearby. At least put some effort in finding things.

Current and last generations want everything without effort. Youth is wasted on the young. ;)

• Like 3

I've got 300 hours in the game. It isn't a question of laziness. I've been gearing for a while.

It is a question of trying to see some semblance of realism. A military base that stocks M4 isn't going to have cases of M14 mags and belts of m60 rounds.

If the base spawns AKM, somewhere within it should have mags. Honestly, the mag issue is huge. Currently guns are more common than mags. It should be flipped.

• Like 3

I've got 300 hours in the game. It isn't a question of laziness. I've been gearing for a while.

It is a question of trying to see some semblance of realism. A military base that stocks M4 isn't going to have cases of M14 mags and belts of m60 rounds.

If the base spawns AKM, somewhere within it should have mags. Honestly, the mag issue is huge. Currently guns are more common than mags. It should be flipped.

Off course it should not be flipped. Ammo is used up. Guns remain. Pretty realistic if you look at it.

I agree the chances of finding ammo for mil guns should be higher at mil locations.

But no there are always more guns then ammo. Look at the russians in ww2 they had more personnel and guns then ammo.

And never said youre lazy. I just think a good gun should not have ammo for it that easily accessible.

But that's the thing. Ammo is everywhere. Magazines aren't. In reality, mags should be common. I have piles of magazines for my aks. Similarly, magazines are a common item. Guns and ammo aren't. They don't produce 1 to 1 magazines for weapons. Currently I have found 7 ak variants and one AKM mag traveling from Polana to NWAF. That isn't accurate, nor it it adding anything to the challenge. In the final game, having consistent weapon spawns would be useful. As it is, the guns wouldn't even be in the same base. Different eras and rarity.

But that's the thing. Ammo is everywhere. Magazines aren't. In reality, mags should be common.

In reality. 

Which this is not. 

• Like 1

Obviously. But it is a game that tries to get close.

My point being, the current spawn system isn't really useful or reflective of the proximate reality the game portrays. But it's alpha, so that's fine. Hopefully they clean it up.

But that's the thing. Ammo is everywhere. Magazines aren't. In reality, mags should be common. I have piles of magazines for my aks. Similarly, magazines are a common item. Guns and ammo aren't. They don't produce 1 to 1 magazines for weapons. Currently I have found 7 ak variants and one AKM mag traveling from Polana to NWAF. That isn't accurate, nor it it adding anything to the challenge. In the final game, having consistent weapon spawns would be useful. As it is, the guns wouldn't even be in the same base. Different eras and rarity.

My bad ammo-magazines...... yes to mags no to ammo. I agree the clips/mags are very rare. To rare.

Off course it should not be flipped. Ammo is used up. Guns remain. Pretty realistic if you look at it.

I agree the chances of finding ammo for mil guns should be higher at mil locations.

But no there are always more guns then ammo. Look at the russians in ww2 they had more personnel and guns then ammo.

And never said youre lazy. I just think a good gun should not have ammo for it that easily accessible.

First off this isn't WW2, people should stop comparing a game to real-life events in an attempt to validate their opinions as facts...

I agree with both your view points however, I do feel as if a Military installation stocks "X" gun, that "X" gun's attachments/ammo should also be a common find. I understand that people don't want someone going into a Military spawn location as a fresh spawn, and come out looking like Rambo, but there has to be a balance between risk/time invested and reward, I don't know how many times that I have done the "Path of the warrior" treck in order to find the upper tier gear, only to spend the next several hours if not days trying to find the right gun attachments and ammo, it's been countless times where I have been running around Military locations with a decked out AK101 with a chambered round in it, because for the life of me finding a couple mags is out of the question, rarity of guns/attachments/ammo only fuels the desire to shoot first and ask questions never.

A balance between effort spent and rewards found needs to be found.

First off this isn't WW2, people should stop comparing a game to real-life events in an attempt to validate their opinions as facts...

I agree with both your view points however, I do feel as if a Military installation stocks "X" gun, that "X" gun's attachments/ammo should also be a common find. I understand that people don't want someone going into a Military spawn location as a fresh spawn, and come out looking like Rambo, but there has to be a balance between risk/time invested and reward, I don't know how many times that I have done the "Path of the warrior" treck in order to find the upper tier gear, only to spend the next several hours if not days trying to find the right gun attachments and ammo, it's been countless times where I have been running around Military locations with a decked out AK101 with a chambered round in it, because for the life of me finding a couple mags is out of the question, rarity of guns/attachments/ammo only fuels the desire to shoot first and ask questions never.

A balance between effort spent and rewards found needs to be found.

Hey dont get me wrong im not trying to compare real life with a video game. I only stated that ammo is used up before the guns are. As an example i gave the ww2 russia reference because well i think everybody has seen footage of people moving in twos just waiting for the other to die and pick up his gun/ammo.

But my points are moot anyways because well i saw ammo/magazines as one. And i HAVE to agree magazines are nowhere to be found. (A fine balance would be nice)

• Like 1

I get where you are coming from there. I think ammo is okay right now. There are uncountable millions of rounds out there!

I do kinda like the idea that the mag is the hardest to find, only because it adds the most functionality to the gun. It should for me be the holy grail for a chernarus survivor. Also I love those arkward gunfights where no one has a mag and are running round taking one shot then hiding again lol

On thing I woud say to justify the current rarity is, if the last few soldiers ranf from an overrun mill base they probs wouldn't grab evey gun. Just take a personal weapon and mags/ammo. So that leaves lots of useless weapons....a lil ammo they missed....and hardly any mags.

Iv started taking ever mag I find even when I don't have that gun, then I may even swap from a rifle down to the sporter just because I have a mag for it, and that makes me 10x more combat effective :)

I think you people are forgetting that we were not the only ones to loot the area.

Not everyone that lived in Chernarus was infected, it is a statistical improbability. In fact, it is far more likely that a significant proportion of the civilian population survived, and either looted up and killed each other, or looted up and got the hell out of Dodge.

The bases were not "untouched" before we got there.

• Like 2

Makes sense to me, atm there are too many guns and not enough magazines around, If you have aks on a military base, you ought to have a few magazines around somewhere. Now, I'm not suggesting you should be able to find an assault rifle and 5 magazines lying next to each other, but there should be a few mags on the base, maybe empty, maybe not, you can hunt down bullets.

I don't really hang around military bases much (don't really need an assault rifle and definitely don't need to get shot by server-hoppers) but it sounds like there's too many civilian weapons lying around as well. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, there's plenty of spawns for these as it is, no need for them to show up on the army bases.

There's guns everywhere, most these days don't require a mag, an AK with a mag and some attachments is a commodity not a right bro, military style ARs need to be rare to complete. Getting to a military base is not hard at all. You want something that's cool because again there's plenty of weapons that you can use, so your wa wa wanting that automatic to be easy to find for your own personal reasons that really don't matter to the people that actually enjoy dayz.

Bro, I think you missed the point bro.

Hate that bro crap. I take it you do too. ;)

And yeah missed by a mile.

• Like 1

Yeah! I didn't feel I was deserving of a complete ak. I was simply pointing out that ammo, gun, and mag combinations are quickly making for a difficult and unrealistic to get an operational weapon.

To be honest, the m133 is my perfect gun. I am not a great shot. I also generally get into trouble with ak and m4 and eventually die. I have killed three people since coming back, all with the m133. I love being able to shoot a bandit at 30 yards and have them actually die.

Everyone's talking about how hard and 'uneven' the ratio is on finding guns then mags. I hope you realize that sometime in 2015 guns are going to be the rarest thing in game? Even a little pistol. In the near future, you will see players robbing others with nothing more than an axe.

• Like 1

Everyone's talking about how hard and 'uneven' the ratio is on finding guns then mags. I hope you realize that sometime in 2015 guns are going to be the rarest thing in game? Even a little pistol. In the near future, you will see players robbing others with nothing more than an axe.

Yes!! More like my cup of coffee. Dont get ne wrong i like guns, but I like face to face combat better. I just hope that they wont introduce real snipers like m107/.50barret. Its what killed ISS. That and a never tried to tackle cheat problem.

Makarov mags: all over the place

1911 mags: never seen one

Fx mags; never seen one

Ak.mags: 75rnd drums all over vybor mil base

Mosin clip: never seen one

M4 mag: never seen one.

So in summary: weak guns mags available maybe even more then enough.

Strong guns; mags almost unavailable

Yes!! More like my cup of coffee. Dont get ne wrong i like guns, but I like face to face combat better. I just hope that they wont introduce real snipers like m107/.50barret. Its what killed ISS. That and a never tried to tackle cheat problem.

Makarov mags: all over the place

1911 mags: never seen one

Fx mags; never seen one

Ak.mags: 75rnd drums all over vybor mil base

Mosin clip: never seen one

M4 mag: never seen one.

So in summary: weak guns mags available maybe even more then enough.

Strong guns; mags almost unavailable

Unfortunately (for you) they are adding in an SVD sniper once the loot table is fixed. It's already been confirmed because the SVD mags were found in the code or something. So there will be a sniper in the game, but its going to be (they said) rarer than the Smersh vest times TEN. So you wont see many of em'. ;)  Since I knew that players will be driven to using melee weapons and improvised weapons, I've already took the liberty to learning everything there is to know about the bow, its pretty much the only weapon I use besides my axe to ward off zombies. So if you want to have a small advantage over everyone else once guns go "extinct".. then make yourself a bow.

• Like 1

Unfortunately (for you) they are adding in an SVD sniper once the loot table is fixed. It's already been confirmed because the SVD mags were found in the code or something. So there will be a sniper in the game, but its going to be (they said) rarer than the Smersh vest times TEN. So you wont see many of em'. ;)  Since I knew that players will be driven to using melee weapons and improvised weapons, I've already took the liberty to learning everything there is to know about the bow, its pretty much the only weapon I use besides my axe to ward off zombies. So if you want to have a small advantage over everyone else once guns go "extinct".. then make yourself a bow.

Svd is probably the only sniper i dont really mind. As long as they work as intendid. Multiple body shots needed or ofc the headshot. As long as they dont implement popping off helmets im good.

But a bow.... :) you're right its a good way to roll. I dont mind pistols either. Can get some done with those.

Pls devs learn from ISS dont implement high powered auto snipers/high-end rifles and super Zs. This will kill the game. ;) trust me

I seriously doubt it will ever be as rare as you are implying here.  Not only will it make the game stupid, it isn't possible given the actual number of servers and the number of potential players.  Dayz will not reach a saturation point where there will be so many players and so few servers that guns will become an impossible goal.  Military weapons will likely continue to be rare, but the idea that double barrel shotguns and mosins will suddenly vanish is silly and unlikely.