Dagwood

Most versatile weapon combination?

The weapon combo I always end up with is the mosin with comp, LRS and the .357 pistol. The reason is I can find it pretty easy, I don't need to worry about mags and I can be pretty effective with those weapons. In fact the .357 is a pretty nasty cuss to get hit with. I use it as a deffencive weapon, but If I need to take someone out its more the more then capible. Its def proved it self to me. You can one shot player with in some cases, pretty much just as easy as shooting a zombie in some cases, surpises me sometimes. Unless there geared, my policy on geared players is I just empty it out on them. The mosin I use for long range shooting, I hate using it close end slow reloads that will get you killed. I also like the .45 acp.

Im pretty much a over watch style player, I used to grab an assualt rifle and duel carry. Thats a pain in the neck though, you always have to put one down to do anything...Its just not worth it to me. So having a good pistol is key to me, I survive for long periods norm I never pick up the ak74 or the mp5 just becuase it takes up to much space that can be used for other stuff. Plus finding mags for those is a pain in the neck. I like the .357 cause all I need is a speed loader, and a bunch of rounds...thats it. Same thing with the mosin, a speed loader clip, LRS, comp and bunch of rounds.....I am set! I like what rags was saying the sawed off is a pretty good combo with the mosin too.

Of cource my sellection prob isn't everyones cup of tea...Its just what I like and works well for me. LOL every has to get the decked out m4, ak's....got that out of my system early on. But I know its fun to get all the parts for those, they are pretty cool....but now days I dont bother, just dont need it really.

Edited by CJFlint

A sharp eye + a quick mind.

Wins every time.

Fits in most backpacks too.

Edited by CornProducts
  • Like 1

I'm fine with an AKM, IMO the single most versatile weapon in the game. If I feel more long ranged you can't beat the Mosin/AKSU combo.

The mosin LRS with the AK74U is the best combo at the moment. Snipers are really OP in dayz at the moment, and with more and more people grabbing guillie suits it's going to make them even harder to catch. The only weakness a sniper has at any given situation I would say is patience, if you do not have that my friend I would deff. suggest an AR. You asked for tips on sniping well here it is: try not to shoot moving targets, try to wait till they stop; only take the shot when you know you'll hit, especially if they do not know your position; Range finders are very common at the moment, grab one and learn the distances for your favorite snipe spots, learn how to zero if you do not know yet; play with a friend that's willing to be the assault guy, sniping is alot easier when you don't have to blow your cover for looting dead bodies, plus you'll be watching your buddies back so it's a win win for both of you; when you  can hear your guy breathing heavily don't zoom in, it fucks up the whole hold your breath thing and your aimer will be everywhere, lastly practice die repeat practice die repeat.

• Like 1

I'm fine with an AKM, IMO the single most versatile weapon in the game. If I feel more long ranged you can't beat the Mosin/AKSU combo.

The AKM is a great rifle. Plenty of punch out to 300 meters, and it's full auto capabilities makes it effective in CQC. However, it is inferior to the Mosin beyond 300 meters, and can be shut down by a shotgun in CQC.

While the Mosin+sawed off shotgun combo is very effective at long range and close range, it leaves something to be desired at medium range (50-200 meters). This is why I avoided that combo, and the Mosin all together, until I got my hands on the AK74U with several mags.

I've had both good and bad results with the AKU in close range engagements. I have a tendency to spray and pray, and it has almost gotten me killed twice now while carrying this weapon set. Can't forget to control your trigger finger! But, on the other hand, the low recoil, high rate of fire, and fast turning rate make it user friendly at short range (think military tents).

I can't think of a situation where the AKU trumps the AKM. The only reason to carry it is to allow you to more easily carry a Mosin to compliment it. Maybe the AKU is easier to handle while firing successive shots at medium range, idk. But I know I would rather have the AKM's stopping power at medium range than reduced recoil; especially when players can weave like they can now.

• Like 1

The AKM is a great rifle. Plenty of punch out to 300 meters, and it's full auto capabilities makes it effective in CQC. However, it is inferior to the Mosin beyond 300 meters, and can be shut down by a shotgun in CQC.

While the Mosin+sawed off shotgun combo is very effective at long range and close range, it leaves something to be desired at medium range (50-200 meters). This is why I avoided that combo, and the Mosin all together, until I got my hands on the AK74U with several mags.

I've had both good and bad results with the AKU in close range engagements. I have a tendency to spray and pray, and it has almost gotten me killed twice now while carrying this weapon set. Can't forget to control your trigger finger! But, on the other hand, the low recoil, high rate of fire, and fast turning rate make it user friendly at short range (think military tents).

I can't think of a situation where the AKU trumps the AKM. The only reason to carry it is to allow you to more easily carry a Mosin to compliment it. Maybe the AKU is easier to handle while firing successive shots at medium range, idk. But I know I would rather have the AKM's stopping power at medium range than reduced recoil; especially when players can weave like they can now.

That's why I prefer the AKM, most engagements are going to be in the sub 300 meter range anyways. I usually don't have the patience to camp & snipe, but I have to second the sawn-off, It's an old friend for CQC in buildings. Once we can saw off a pump action and stick it in our bags I'll be a happy man.

not sure this counts.... but healthy status and a good pair of running shoes, really good at hiding from potential threats - funny watching them try to figure out where i went when im laying down in a bush as they run past me. :lol:

• Like 1

Stalking mostly. I'm still unsure exactly how well the b+a will work as a PvP weapon. 

As I don't have a fall back weapon, I feel if I fire and it's a failure then I'm in the shit. I'll keep on practising on the zombies for now.

• Like 1

Mosin + Sawed off, although I've gotten a few kills with the Derringer as a sidearm, it really isn't bad.

• Like 1

I appreciate the link although it's not so much a lack of knowledge in how to use the bow, but more I don't have much experience using it as an offensive weapon against players - I'm just not a KoS type of player.

Interestingly though, he states that using [R] undraws the bow, however this doesn't work for me.

I don't ever feel well armed unless I have a sawed off or .357 magnum as a secondary. Both have high shock impact for secondary weapons so connecting a small hit can have a big impact on whether or not you survive an encounter. 

Mosin + fnx/makarov for playing without backpack

Mosin +Sawed off shotgun for playing with improvised backpack

Always depends on what i will find...

Most of the times i am in the northwest where most gunfights take place over long distances

Mosin + Sawed off..

Long range, spot someone first? Lay prone with mosin and wait until they stop ... Fire, dead. 

You get shot first? Arm broken? Being sniped at? Np... Bust out that Sawed off, run and gun into close range and blast dat foo.

Someone camping a military jail in Zeleno with a group of their friends? No problem.. Snipe through the windows and have them scurred, and hiding in corners... Then open the door from the side and peek with the sawed off, blast that foo corner peeking you, then tell them to come out with their hands up or feel the wrath of your boom stick.

90% of the time, they combat log.

I read somewhere in here someone mentioning that using the Lee Enfield from the Arma2 mod is helpful and it really is, I prefer the Mosin over pretty much any gun in the game because it forces you to take your time. I've been at the NWAF when two other people were there and they knew I was in the fire station tower. Instead of trying to rush me, they just buggered off. Such is the power of the weapon and you don't even have to fire it to get the effect because people are terrified of it.

That being said, in a pitched fight that is closer than your optimum range (50-100m as opposed to a prefered 150-300m) I would say that movement is your best friend. You might not be able to dish out as much ammunition but sprinting about and making someone piss their ammunition away with their precious assault rifle (you can crouch and sprint at the same time now, you're welcome <3) and then snapping off a shot in their general direction is a good way to keep their aim off.

I tend to avoid people as much as I can and much prefer discretion over valour. That being said, you get all the flashy boys running around with assault rifles and magazines to match, you can make them waste their ammunition trying to hit you. Even if they have four or five stacks of ammunition sitting on the side of their magazines, once they've burned those mags they have to load them up again. They'll either hide in corners to do so or run in straight lines, either case is easy pickings for a competent marksman.

If you're in a mixed role then higher capacity handguns like the FNX45 and CR75 will probably serve you best in the long run.

Why? Because of size and ammo availability?

Why? Because of size and ammo availability?

Ammo capacity - the Mosin only holds five rounds internally and if you're in a close ranged combat situation then having a larger magazine will benefit you more.

Ammo capacity - the Mosin only holds five rounds internally and if you're in a close ranged combat situation then having a larger magazine will benefit you more.

Of course. I thought you were implying that the CZ75 and the FNX45 were superior to the AK74U in that secondary role.

I agree though. A Mosin is not a good weapon for close quarters combat. Fires too slow, and you have to reload too often.

Of course. I thought you were implying that the CZ75 and the FNX45 were superior to the AK74U in that secondary role.

I agree though. A Mosin is not a good weapon for close quarters combat. Fires too slow, and you have to reload too often.

And it's too long. I mean, length doesn't necessarily matter right now because you can still shoot, as sometimes it will shoot through a wall if you're that close, but you're not obstructed at all. Hopefully at some point length obstruction will be a thing.

It also has poor dexterity compared to other guns, so aiming in CQB becomes difficult.

The Sawed-Off Mosin isn't that much better. I mean, it's powerful and for the damage it does it can be pretty useful but the dispersion is so high and it just doesn't work better than the IZH-43 enough to be worth cutting down. And when you saw it off you lose the range so it's pretty pointless.

I just can't wait until bayonet functionality is implemented, and they include a bayonet lug for the MP-133, al la Winchester Mod 1897.

220px-WncsterCatMod97trench.jpg