Sign in to follow this  
Bonappetit

Open inventory while sprinting

This has been bothering me for quite some time now. I'm not able to open my inventory while sprinting and it's been like that since I started playing this game. I only managed to fix that problem by changing any random keybind under controls, but thing is that I need to do this every time I join a game. Is there some way that's actually permanent ?

• Like 1

Its not a feature yet, but i hope inventory animations come soon. Equipping a pistol thats in a coat in a vest in a backpack should take longer than .5 seconds.

• Like 2

I think is good right now, I can actually check my backpack in real life while running late to class, but I have to slow down to take out the notebook. Same should happen with guns

Blame it on my poor english but if I understood you guys well what you're saying is that what I've asked is how it is actually. We can't be sprinting and be able to open an inventory ?

And the method I presented is actually just a bug ?

Edited by Miracool

If you ask me they need to add an animation where you bend over and shuffle through your pockets while in your inventory.

The tab and instantly do anything you want in your inventory is not only unrealistic but it sucks for gameplay.

• Like 2

You can surely open your inventory while sprinting , it's been like that since day 1 , you must be experiencing some weird bug ? What button do map under controls for it to work ?

• Like 1

I would hope it's a feature not a bug! :3

Yes because why would you be able to look at things in your vincinity or pick anything up while moving?!  Devs get on this!!!

If you ask me they need to add an animation where you bend over and shuffle through your pockets while in your inventory.

The tab and instantly do anything you want in your inventory is not only unrealistic but it sucks for gameplay.

Yes let's spend 50% of our time waiting for animations rather than actually playing the game.  Having the game more streamlined to where there AREN'T animations and it's whoever is fastest on the draw, leads to more skill based gameplay, rather than bs luck because your character got bugged out while animating to open your "gear", and then another animation to pull the bandage out, and then another animation to use it, and then another animation to put it away, and how would you know it actually made it there without pulling your gear open again with a final animation?

Your gear window is like your brain, you see what's there because you know what you put there.  You see that you're thirsty, hungry, energized, bleeding, hydrated, healthy, and every other status; because it's your personal thinktank. A lot more actions should have animations, like sewing.  Opening your gear window is definitely not one of them.  You clearly did not play ArmA 2 and the mod, because having to stop moving completely and kneel down just to access your bandages, or anything, was absolutely stupid.

Having a mobile gear window that is animationless is literally one of the biggest and best changes from the mod to standalone.

Edited by acdc_bag

Having a mobile gear window that is animationless is literally one of the biggest and best changes from the mod to standalone.

In your opinion.

Thankfully everything seems to suggest this along with some of the other unrealistic aspects in the game are merely there due to place holders or lack of assets atm.

You telling me in a game where Stamina is already planned, where manual shifting of gears while driving vehicles is going to implemented and where blood types are modeled having your character have full access to his inventory while sprinting at 30 km/h is intentional.

No of course not.

Hopefully it just means it lacks an animation and one will be added later.

Accessing your inventory is a risk and reward type deal, if you need to get into your gear then you should be vulnerable for a short amount of time while you sort through it.

As for your animation comments yes more animations for everything including the most pointless of things would be an improvement over no animation.

• Like 4

OP have you tried deleting your cfg file? And do you have inventory bound to something besides tab? Ive never heard of someone having this problem so its got to be something unique to you. Deleting your cfg should fix it, if that doesnt then try verifying cache and finally reinstalling the game.

• Like 1

You can surely open your inventory while sprinting , it's been like that since day 1 , you must be experiencing some weird bug ? What button do map under controls for it to work ?

The only thing I could think of is Steams overlay keybind ( for me shift + o). I could try and rebind it from shift, that might be the cause of it but it's just an assumption.

@TheFarm I'll give it a try :)

Edited by Miracool

I think is good right now, I can actually check my backpack in real life while running late to class,

not while it's still on your back

• Like 1

I think is good right now, I can actually check my backpack in real life while running late to class, but I have to slow down to take out the notebook. Same should happen with guns

At the same time they should let you eat and move. I can eat an apple or drink a can of coke while walking around.

• Like 1

Your gear window is like your brain, you see what's there because you know what you put there.  You see that you're thirsty, hungry, energized, bleeding, hydrated, healthy, and every other status; because it's your personal thinktank. A lot more actions should have animations, like sewing.  Opening your gear window is definitely not one of them.  You clearly did not play ArmA 2 and the mod, because having to stop moving completely and kneel down just to access your bandages, or anything, was absolutely stupid.

Know what is also like your brain? Your brain. You should be able to remember what is in your backpack and the approximate locations. It makes no sense for the gear window to resemble your brain when you actually have a functional brain to remember to begin with. In order to actually see the exact locations of items and interact with them, you should have to stop and open your backpack.

• Like 2

At the same time they should let you eat and move. I can eat an apple or drink a can of coke while walking around.

keyword there..."walking". I would support that, when you eat something you can WALK around.

not while it's still on your back

It is not hard to take it out of your back and carry it into your hands while sprinting

Whether it's realistic or not is a different argument, but you can certainly open the inventory when sprinting. Check the key bindings you have as it works for me. ([W]x2 to run fast / [tab] for inventory). If I can be bothered I'll get a video up to show me doing it.

Whether it's realistic or not is a different argument, but you can certainly open the inventory when sprinting. Check the key bindings you have as it works for me. ([W]x2 to run fast / [tab] for inventory). If I can be bothered I'll get a video up to show me doing it.

I got use to shift (default sprint) mostly from the other games, never used your method for sprinting. 

I got use to shift (default sprint) mostly from the other games, never used your method for sprinting. 

I actually have two things bound to the sprint, one of my mouse buttons (a side one, not one of the main two, I'm not a nutter!) and the [W]x2. The reason for this is so that if I need a quick takeoff (and let's face it, we all do in DayZ at times) then I don't want to be fucking about with multiple key hits and I use the mouse, however once I am safe I swap to the key bind.

• Like 1

Well i think i know what your problem is then. Try double tapping w then opening your inventory. Last time i tried dayz would override shift sprinting when opening your inventory.

Edit: 2x W and shift sprint are both set by default, only 2x W allows you to keep sprinting during the inventory screen.

Edited by TheFarm
  • Like 1

Well i think i know what your problem is then. Try double tapping w then opening your inventory. Last time i tried dayz would override shift sprinting when opening your inventory.

Edit: 2x W and shift sprint are both set by default, only 2x W allows you to keep sprinting during the inventory screen.

Oh, that must be it. I'll check it out tomorrow definitely. I'm also pretty sure that I don't have 2x W set at all when I was checking today.

Oh, that must be it. I'll check it out tomorrow definitely. I'm also pretty sure that I don't have 2x W set at all when I was checking today.

I think it is usually bound to "turbo"

It is not hard to take it out of your back and carry it into your hands while sprinting

digging in your pack for a pen or notebook while sprinting is a whole world away from rummaging around in a pack (while on the run) loaded with knives, grenades, loaded firearms and whatever else is crammed in there...

I don't so much care about the pockets as tabbing then going through and dragging things probably takes about the same time. The backpack on the other hand should only be accessible when you're avatar is looking at it meaning if you want to access it - you need to drop it first. That's the cheap version - the best version would be where you hit a key and you animate taking the backpack off and dropping it and then ur inv screen opens up.

This way also gives excellent opportunities to rob people of their gear without killing them. Start firing around their feet and watch them run away, leaving the backpack!

• Like 1

digging in your pack for a pen or notebook while sprinting is a whole world away from rummaging around in a pack (while on the run) loaded with knives, grenades, loaded firearms and whatever else is crammed in there...

it was just an example...this game cannot be 100% realist or it would stop being a game. Anyway, I'll settle with whatever the devs decide