Sign in to follow this  
PhillyT

Jumping back in after six months... what do I NEED to know?

Jumping back in after six months.  Well almost.  I logged in about two months ago to gear a little since I knew I had been reset.  I am currently in a house in Cherno.

My question is, what do I NEED to know about the changes that have come to pass?  I know there are tons of new items, and some new features, but I am excited to discover some of the new things for myself.  I mostly want to know if there are a handful of key features I should be aware of when I dive back in.

WB philly

Well...

Vehicles!...guess that's  why ya back lol, keep in mind the aren't persistent and only 3 per server.

Persistence has arrived with 2 tent styles, it causes an issue with loot spawning apparently, gets wiped every Wednesday, but you can keep your gear if you pack it up before maintenance.

Canabalism....you can now eat people but beware....you will get a brain illness that causes you to laugh or cry every now and then. Less chance of getting it ifyou cook the meat.

Theres a rangefinder.....so that's nice

A few new guns and locations (I wont spoil locations for ya) but we got a cz something rifle, ak's, AUG. Tonnes of new items.

Can now grow stuff but I haven't tried that yet, fishing and hunting is in....maybe that was in before ya left though.

Oh and if you find a lockpick you can now  lock doors and gates. If you find a locked door youcan bash at it with melee or shoot it to open it.

That's about all off the top of my head, theres a lot more, il let everyone else fill in the blanks :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 3

You can grow tomatoes in greenhouses using shovel, seeds, garden lime and probably water.

There is grenades, doors make sounds... Thats one of the few unmentioned things.. That I think its quite important to know.

You can dress up as a giant ham sandwich..........

Lol naw that would be weird but funny.

New weapons, first vehicle is in early stages of play, more crafting options, 2 hunting traps. new chopper models, etc. Theres way to much stuff to list really.

Hi WB!

I suggest reading as many dev status reports as you can stand to read.

I would also recommend following the threads dedicated to each build number closely (stable and experimental respectively).

If you follow those 3 things you will always know about the latest new additions, bugs, and upcoming wipes.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/138-devtracker/

Edited by BioHaze

hackspam

To the OP, there are a lot of new ways to gather food from hunting, gardening, rabbit traps, fish traps. Persistence still has a good chance to keep the coast bare, but if you go inland you will find a town that is literately overflowing with loot. Many military weapons spawns have been lowered, and helicopter crashes are the only way to get M4 and Aug's. You can also mend boots/backpacks/vests with duct tape/leather working kit.

i've also been gone a while, actually about 8 months or more..  has there been any update fixes to night servers with people exploiting gamma/contrast/monitors or just best to ignore nighttime servers still?

You can look at the changelogs, you person of little information gathering skills. 

i've also been gone a while, actually about 8 months or more..  has there been any update fixes to night servers with people exploiting gamma/contrast/monitors or just best to ignore nighttime servers still?

Not 100% sure but I think they did do a change to the night lighting a while ago. As far as im aware people can still tweak gamma. There are some advantages to having a darker night than others, spotting muzzle flash for one. But yeah if you want a level playing field at night id wait a bit longer for the new renderer :)

Zombies can strike from long range and are more accurate then the machete. 

People will now hold you up to eat you.  I've had it happen...  

Better hope they don't have handcuffs and/or shoot you in the leg