robbyj

Hey... You friendly?

I'm more likely to trust someone if they initiate a conversation, or if they respond to me. If I ask "are you friendly" I'm more likely to trust someone who says "no" than somebody who silently stares at me without putting their weapon away.

It's the DayZ equivalent of "hello". It doesn't really mean anything, it's just a means of greeting another player under the pretense (false or not) that you yourself are friendly.

• Like 1

Which begs the question... If no one is truly friendly, how do you ever get cooperation outside of bringing your real life friends? Shouldn't the game foster cooperation for some play styles as much as it does in the opposite (ie - mass killers, bandits)? Or does the game simply not have the components in it's current state to allow this?

I'd would not find the only purpose of the game being simply straight up killing other players for gear very entertaining. Or..., just running around trying to collect it the hard way. Maxed out gear, then what?

Which begs the question... If no one is truly friendly, how do you ever get cooperation outside of bringing your real life friends? Shouldn't the game foster cooperation for some play styles as much as it does in the opposite (ie - mass killers, bandits)? Or does the game simply not have the components in it's current state to allow this?

I'd would not find the only purpose of the game being simply straight up killing other players for gear very entertaining. Or..., just running around trying to collect it the hard way. Maxed out gear, then what?

Without attachment to the server you are on. Through side chat (meeting people), or building a base (some place you can call home), players have no need to work together. In Dayz Standalone, your gear is worth more than your friendship to someone you don't know. In an odd sense, by killing a player the dead player helps the survivor every way he can. The killer gets his choice of everything you worked for, giving him the best chance at survival. Although, I do come with hope! Right now, I suggest hardcore players join servers that force all participants to role play, to maintain a presence in a VOIP or IRC channel. (in case issues arise) and as always, make sure your servers are password protected. Hey wait, rjclock this doesn't exist! Well, why not make it happen? I can already see people lining up to get on a server like that! Welp, there may be SIMILAR servers, but none to the extent I am speaking of. Something that would literally change the game. With a dedicated number of role players, a controlled forum, irc channels, teamspeak server, it would flourish.

Ideas: (remember, all of this must be player controlled. so recording, proper interviews of players, dedicated staff, would all be needed.)

• Human Traders
  • Friendly Gang Controlled Towns
  • Designated Kill Zones
Edited by rjclock
  • Like 1

Just thinking about the idea posted above, if anyone is interested in creating a community based on what I posted above, please message me. No, you would not need coding experience.

Hello!

I always play alone, i'm not a very social gamer in any of the games i've played so far and has the huge cynical person that i am i will not trust anyone, and i see it as a RP/apocalyptic-game, which means that i will try to kill anyone (expect if i'm geared, i will let the bambies run). I will shot people in the back, front, engage groups in a tactical manner or just jump in and spray the shotgun.

This is not because i'm a douchebag per say, it's just that i decided to play (some sort of RP-Walking Dead-style) this game in that manner.

See you in-game!

No one is friendly. Only trust the team you roll with. 

Word of advice, though, if they sound 16 or younger, there's a good chance you'll have to put them down.

• Like 4

I like greeting people by coming up behind them when they're looting and then whip out my Rice or Cereal and eat it. Fun surprise.

• Like 1

I had this last night. After I my random glitch dead I got respawned at the beach and eventually in Novo. So I immediately ran to the water well on the north side of town. Naturally I have nothing (Bambi). I saw him and announced that I was friendly, and asked if he knew where I could find a backpack. I got a muttered responce (could not hear). He then proceeded to walk around the building (thinking I could not see him). He came up beside me and pulled out his melee weapon. My response was really? And he killed me.

Edited by Foolee

Was waiting outside the lighthouse near cherno for a friend and seen another player coming down from lighthouse. Could have killed him, but instead I didn't and stopped my friend from killing him too. He seemed new, would only talk by text. So we gave him heaps of stuff - clothes, a fireaxe, food. Even made him a backpack. Took him into cherno and was giving him tips the whole way.

Was looting a pub with him and I went upstairs to find him pointing a shotgun at me. I ran out and took cover behind a car. I could have killed him then and there for that but maybe it was amistake? he is new after all. He came running out the pub, gun still raised obviously looking for me. I shot him with the sks and finished him off with the magnum.

Your post here nearly got me killed :P

I'm very, very new and have yet to encounter anyone but this thread has been a real eye opener. I've played a few hours on one server and have been mincing about doing my thing and being pretty cautious-  The server only has 5 people in it generally... maybe a few more but everywhere I go has open doors so I know folks have been through. No way to tell how recently, unfortunately, so I'm always on my guard. A little slow going but paradoxically that's part of the thrill!

I know my intent won't be to kill anyone I come across- I still have to figure out this whole chat thing (very, very new)... as I get my skills up and start feeling more comfortable with the game I'll migrate to bigger servers with more people in them.

Anyway- thanks for this thread... it's highlighted the fact that there are all manners of betrayal and honour available in the game which I guess is a part of what makes it so much fun. I imagine at some point I'll have some civvie tac'd out dude with pockets full of goodies with the intention of cautiously helping or protecting those who need it. Watch them from afar until I see they're flailing and then go down and help them out- knowing they may just be bait for someone doing the reverse of what I'm doing in hopes of scavenging my gear.

Oh my! What an adventure this is going to be!

I am convinced that many many people want to be friendly if you give them a chance or show a little tact.

Great stream last night, about 15 folks all in Cherno sponsoring boxing matches between fresh spawns. None of it would have happened if everyone KOS. They want to shoot at first, but a little humor or RP gets the guns down. Hilarious night, one of the best I've ever seen. And confirmed to me that most folks are just shooting/waving guns because they're scared. Just like IRL.

I play the game by killing anyone in sight, so decided to be nice for a change. Seen some guy not with much gear, but enough to take care of himself. Asked him if he needed food or water, so he took some food and water and that was all grand. Ran away, kept an eye behind me, couldn't see him. So stopped at the small pond at the forrest for a drink, and he comes up behind me and says
"Sorry, just surviving" and puts a few rounds into the back of me.

This was the first/last time I was nice. <_<

Fuck calling "friendlies", fuck strangers. You run into us you are dead! 

Too many times we have caught people with their pants down and the first opportunity they get, they try to have a go, even if they are out number, out gunned, out skilled. I was talking to an averagely kitted guy just the other day. He had a Makarov in his hand and I had my trusty m4. Even as a sign of good will, I let him keep his gun in his hand. He walked around behind me and that is when he noticed my friend in the bush also fully kitted and not aiming at him. He shot me once before we executed the idiot. That was the last day I give benefit of the doubt, so all you people who complain about KoS'ers. You only have yourselves to blame.  

Uh, okay. I'll keep that in mind.

Fuck calling "friendlies", fuck strangers. You run into us you are dead! 

Too many times we have caught people with their pants down and the first opportunity they get, they try to have a go, even if they are out number, out gunned, out skilled. I was talking to an averagely kitted guy just the other day. He had a Makarov in his hand and I had my trusty m4. Even as a sign of good will, I let him keep his gun in his hand. He walked around behind me and that is when he noticed my friend in the bush also fully kitted and not aiming at him. He shot me once before we executed the idiot. That was the last day I give benefit of the doubt, so all you people who complain about KoS'ers. You only have yourselves to blame.  

What's the point in shooting every person you meet? Don't get me wrong, I love PvPing and so does every other player. But if you want to shoot at everyone you see, why play DayZ? I realize the rush is why most people do it but that doesn't mean you have to kill everyone in sight. Everyone has ran into a billion clowns that, no matter how stacked the odds are, try to kill you. But it's the handful of people that don't is what makes it fun. I'm not saying you shouldn't kill or you should play hero, but KoSing everyone you see or meet isn't all that fun.

• Like 4

What's the point in shooting every person you meet? Don't get me wrong, I love PvPing and so does every other player. But if you want to shoot at everyone you see, why play DayZ? I realize the rush is why most people do it but that doesn't mean you have to kill everyone in sight. Everyone has ran into a billion clowns that, no matter how stacked the odds are, try to kill you. But it's the handful of people that don't is what makes it fun. I'm not saying you shouldn't kill or you should play hero, but KoSing everyone you see or meet isn't all that fun.

What you see is fun is completely different to what I see is fun, THAT is the beauty of DayZ. The problem (from point of view) is vast majority want and do play it my way, always have and always will.

Definately agree with that!

DayZ is a game about the encounters with other people, if everyone you encounter you shoot at without even speaking to, then what's the point? play 7 days to die, h1z1, etc. those games make more sense if that's the playstyle, I still remember being held up, handcuffed, brought into a barn and sat next to a fire while the guy took his clothes off, i managed to run outside, get outta the cuffs and run as far away as possible from that situation! But if i had shot him as soon as I saw him I would never have had that experience or story, just another guy I shot and killed!

KoS gives you a rush, that is true, just hardcore PvP, if you die then thats that, but meeting people, seeing what it is they are doing, and either getting double crossed or getting a memorable experience is what makes the game great! it's a testament to the player's skill aswell, being able to keep an eye on the guy so that if he does try anything funny you are able to get away / fight back without being killed.

There are three stages in a DayZ player's life, brand new player's who are lovely and friendly, who turn to killing everyone since that's what happened to them, and then the ones that get through that are the guys who hold people up, take chances, possibly lose gear but have a better experience from it!

• Like 2

What you see is fun is completely different to what I see is fun, THAT is the beauty of DayZ. The problem (from point of view) is vast majority want and do play it my way, always have and always will.

Yeah- there are always going to be those guys who hit people in non-contact sports too because they think it's fun... Same type of person: Too crappy at a game where EVERYONE plays on an equal field and instead swamps around in the little leagues acting like a badass brawler.

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

Yeah- there are always going to be those guys who hit people in non-contact sports too because they think it's fun... Same type of person: Too crappy at a game where EVERYONE plays on an equal field and instead swamps around in the little leagues acting like a badass brawler.

Wow! Bahahahaha 

KOSers are nothing but cowards afraid of risking an actual interaction for the sake of not loosing their <insert_item_here_#>.

Also, i wish i was once approached by these self proclaimed "PVP"ers. I wonder how this works..

"good day dear sir, im a fellow pvper who only finds fun in killing people in this game, so i would kindly ask you to accept my challange, wield your weapon, position yourself on the other side of the street,get ready and may the best survivor win - because i love challanges and it would utterly unfair of me to blow your brains out whilst your drinking that soda"

yah... no, "hey dude im friendly pls help random jibberish blabla *Shoots me in the face* 

much amaze much skill much peeveepee pls subscribe. You dont need to get all defensive, i get it, its your "playstyle" and you're enjoying it. That's fine, it would be darn boring if noone would do it. I just respawn and promise myself not to change my playstyle into yours and move on. on every 10 KOSers out there i meet at least one normal person whos worth the effort. There is absolutely nothing i need from anothers player dead body and i dont see how a trip back to the beach is more fun than not shooting or being shot in the back.If your a mad pvper, you will take the control of situation anyway. Try to make out something more than just a KOS. At least kos me with style   :( punchline! ..or something

Edited by halp
  • Like 2

I became a KOS'er for my first kill just last night. I've played for about 180 hours now and have been murdered dozens of times. No 'hello' or even a word. BANG! You are dead.

I was in the police station in Krasno. Was coming down stairs when I see someone standing there motionless in the store room. I guess he was checking inventory and not paying attention. All I had was a fireaxe. I hit him once and looted his body (took his mosin and a canteen- no ammo) he did have a fireaxe but I already had mine painted so I left it.

After being killed countless times without so much as a 'howdy', I do not feel one bit bad about this kill. He was armed and in the police station. That's no-limit open season as far as I'm concerned.

Organize your inventory in the forest dummy!

People who open with "I'm friendly" are typically anything but that, IMO. Those who open with a simple "Hello there!" usually are. Of course there are exceptions, but in my experience this is a fairly accurate assessment.

I have only gotten KOS since I have started, I don't have a mic but any time i use the chat i get no response. If i am a fresh spawn and meet another they either try kill me or just run off. I can see how people easily lose trust but i refuse to let it get to me. 

If i turn too I become part of the problem

I have only gotten KOS since I have started, I don't have a mic but any time i use the chat i get no response. If i am a fresh spawn and meet another they either try kill me or just run off. I can see how people easily lose trust but i refuse to let it get to me. 

If i turn too I become part of the problem

Well, I'm no KoSer, but I will likely shoot you out of sheer annoyance if you don't have a mic. It's just... poor manners.

I started this game with the best intentions, as a lot of people do. First 2 people i met spotted me in Elekro when i was exiting a house. I tried communicating with them, but they instantly came at me with axes. Even tough i had a loaded shotgun, i decided to run for it and try to reason with them. I ended up having to shoot one, and getting killed by the other after running around for 15 minutes with those guys chasing me. I tried everything, but nothing helped. I only had the stupid shotgun and 4 or 5 shells, no good clothing, no food, not even an axe...

I had read about this happening all the time, but it shocked me none the less. I have also seen movies of people beeing friendly and working together.

Even tough i HAVE met a handfull of people who didnt try to kill me (some probably would have, if they had a loaded gun in their hand), there was never ever any sense of working together. Some kind words and good luck wishes where exchanged, but in the end we both sprinted off in different directions, watching over our shoulders.

Since that first encounter, i was killed by other players many times. SOmetimes on sight, sometimes after trying to help somebody and getting backstabbed. I still hope to find a private shard somewhere, where i hope to meet friendly people and survive in a group.

But with my public characters, i have geared up like a Navy Seal, i have learned to live off the land, and i will shoot on sight if i feel you will pose a treath to me. And if i dont shoot you, you will probably never know i was there, and you will never see me again... Eventually i will get killed by somebody else who spots me before i spot them, and i will have deserved that faith. Its all good...Its the way the game is right now. After u understand the basics, surviving is easy. There are loads and loads of guns laying around, and nothing much to do but get more guns or kill people. As the game evolves, so will the interactions between the people who play it. I hope there will come a time when you will NEED to work together to survive. I especially like the idea of fending off hordes of superstrongzombies with a group of people.

Edited by nillie
  • Like 2